2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (bluebilly, axomas, anamnesis, anotherscott, David B, bwv543, Dfrankjazz, DaveCSparty, 6 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Photo Gallery - Pictures of Pianos Jump to new posts
Sk travelly 5 minutes ago
Sk
0 2 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Audio comparison Bechstein, Estonia, SK, Schimmel, Steinway pianoloverus 5 minutes ago
When comparing pianos one should always play the same piece. Playing different pieces makes a comparison close to impossible.
10 183 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Czerny availablility in large print? BruceD 9 minutes ago
Just about anything Czerny composed is available on IMSLP where there should be a choice of editions of some of his more popular works. Perhaps there you could find one with more legible print than that found in the editions you bought. Some that I found are in conventional, "modern" printings.

They are free, of course, and you could print out only the particular exercises and studies that you need to work on, rather than print out an entire volume of such works.

Regards,
1 38 Read More
Re: When is it critical to replace digital piano with acoustic? Tom Ryshka 12 minutes ago
My 5 years old daughter is learning piano. First we bought very cheap acoustic upright to check how would it be. Then we go for digital Yamaha clp785. There are many apps to help learn for kids and she can play silently. But digital will never be real instrument with soul. So we decided to buy second piano - Yamaha U3A from 1986. It’s sounds much better then any digital.

Now we have all advantages of digital and acoustic in our home smile
133 4,382 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Re: Alternatives to MainStage for Live Performances? Tom Ryshka 26 minutes ago
Better buy real stage piano like Roland RD Or Kawai MP series
1 39 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Damper noise TimM_980 34 minutes ago
Whoever identifies the source of the noise correctly on the first try might get a prize (prize might be imaginary).

https://vimeo.com/725124452

0 11 Read More
Re: MSRPs, Margins, Price Matching, DP Retailers fred768 42 minutes ago
I don't know about Canada, but in the USA the major manufacturers have a minimum advertised price that is somewhat lower than MSRP. Authorized dealers are prohibited from advertising lower than that price. So most online retailers end up advertising at that same MAP price, though not all.

Retailers are allowed to discount the minimum advertised price if you call them directly. This is often hinted at in the online listing with language about calling directly for special deals. Supply chain problems being what they are post-Covid, that practice is less common now though MAP pricing still seems to be common.

A price match guarantee implies that if you did get a discount from MAP by calling/visiting a dealer directly, the matching dealer would match that price (if you called or visited them). More generally I'd interpret it as another way of saying that they're willing to negotiate at less than MAP, if you contact them directly.

Pre-Covid it was easy to call around and get various offers that you could compare or negotiate. Post-Covid, I was offered an instrument at MAP that was in stock that day (after waiting on back-order for six months at another retailer), and I took it without a second thought.
1 68 Read More
Re: Story continues, next piano hunting (Higher quality Grand) Steven Y. A. 42 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Simcity
Hi Steven, thank you so much posting this long message for us. I need to read it several times to absorb the enormous information you have written. I feel so amazed you could put up all the parameters of a piano’s characteristic so decently and scientifically and together with 2 other testers to reduce personal bias. And the chart is really helpful too. That’s amazing and I really salute you!!! I am a new member in this forum and knowing so many piano experts like you and other fellow members is an eye opening experience for me, thanks all of you!!

I have also been searching for my own dream grand piano for the past 12 months and eventually choosing a Shigeru Kawai SK2L. It’ the maximum size that could be moved up through my apartment’s stairway although I recon a SK3 is even much better. I feel really upset when realised I need to downgrade the choice. Actually, I almost reached a point to cancel the deal but the shop manager is patience enough to contact me numerous times in the following weeks to discuss my concern. Now the SK2 has arrived at my home since May 2022. What I could say is it’s still a magnificent piano on its own. Every time I played this instrument, it’s the same feeling as you have described in your finding, so thank you once again for writing it down so meticulously, cheers !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

wow what a beauty! Yes that SK2 we played sounded huge! Nothing short in its size. Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Rubens
Originally Posted by Steven Y. A.
I kindly ask to subscribe to my kid's channel laugh now which one is your favorite?

I tend not to pick favorites between kids.

Seriously though, the A192 and the Shigeru sound great despite the suboptimal quality of the recording. They really stand out IMO.

LOL yeah... it pretty matched our live experience. The recorder were placed on the right corner, too close and treble heavy - but the gain and location were the same. I somehow have to turn the volume down of A190 by 3db, it somehow is the loudest of all.
33 1,274 Read More
Wound bass strings all the way to C4 TimM_980 52 minutes ago
The person who guesses correctly the Make and year (within 3 years) of this beauty might get a prize.

[Linked Image]
0 17 Read More
Members Recordings - Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Rameau - Courante - from Pieces de Clavessin avec une Method MrSh4nkly 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Rubens
About the table. Many teachers would say that the goal of such tables is to inform the player on WHAT NOTES to play for each ornament, but that the written rhythm is only an approximation and should not be taken literally. What do you think of that?
I think it's relative to the tempo of the piece and the time values of the notes in the piece. For example, Courante conforms with the time values of the notes illustrated in the ornament table. La Vilageoise (The Villager), however, which is another Rameau piece I plan to record, soon, is another matter. It's a Rondeau, so, fast-paced. Take the first trill in the piece, which is in the 3rd measure. It's on an eighth note, which is immediately followed by another eighth note, so the sixteenth notes shown in the ornament table for a trill (cadence) aren't going to work, as two notes don't make a trill. Eight 64th notes would be ridiculous, so it has to be four notes, and thus four 32nd notes, instead of the 16th notes used to illustrate the ornament table. These trills are quick shakes, dat-dat-dat-das, so no time to alternate fingers:

[Linked Image]
7 171 Read More
Re: Feeling Comfortable with the Piano SouthPark 2 hours ago
I agree with seeker. If anyone finds this situation of not yet feeling comfortable or competent enough at the piano ----- then you're not alone. As long as you keep at it - no matter how much time it takes, you will indeed get better and better - to a point where beginners will wonder ---- 'how do you do that?!!!'. Unless somebody is a talent/savant/miracle - where these people often put in hard yards as well ------ the rest of us really do have to put in extra hard yards to learn and develop. Just keeping at it for as long as it takes, will get results that will impress you (ourselves). But it shouldn't really be about impressing ourselves (even though surprising ourselves in indeed enjoyable and can be so satisfying and pleasant) or impressing anybody. It should just be about for the love of piano and love of music - and enjoying the learning and applying of the fascinating theory and patterns that the people found/developed over the years, and even making your own music, or playing other music in the way that somebody else wrote it, or even in the way that you want to play it - having fun and relaxation etc. And being able to share what we learned with others, including playing music and the piano for somebody to hear and enjoy. Even helping and teaching others.
10 310 Read More
Piano Photo Gallery - Pictures of Pianos Jump to new posts
Rameau Discussion Material MrSh4nkly 2 hours ago
From [i]Pieces de Clavessin avec une Methode pour la Mechanique des Doigts[/i] (1724)
0 10 Read More
MY NEW PIANO or KEYBOARD! - Share Your Story! Jump to new posts
Re: My first Grand Piano, DC6 5stringbanjo 2 hours ago
Congratulations.
2 41 Read More
Re: Piano Exam Group earlofmar 3 hours ago
Originally Posted by JosephW
the 4-week wait finally over for the last of the ABRSM online music theory exam grade 5.

congratulations, this is a lot of work in a short space of time.
1,399 252,191 Read More
Re: Eastman piano diploma krumpetina 3 hours ago
i have major problems with the metronome, but i need it badly. i may give this a go and see if it works for me.
236 16,531 Read More
Re: Philadelphia International Music Festival faculty recital pianoloverus 3 hours ago
Fun fact: Around 40 years ago I played the same Mozart Sonata as in that video as background music for a fashion show!!
2 116 Read More
Re: Circle of fifths/ circle of fourths MrShed 4 hours ago
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by MrShed
Simple Interval inversions. Up 4th and down a 5th are the same note. Same with all interval up a 2nd down 7th, up a 3rd down a 6th and so on. Also notice interval inversions all add up to 9. Up a 4th down a 5th 4 + 5 = 9, up a 7th down a 2nd 7 + 2 = 9 and so on. A lot of math in music.

Can you flesh this out with some examples? As it stands it could be confusing.

Just hope on your keyboard and check it out. Play a C now play the G above it how many notes is that it's 5 up a fifth. Now go back to C now go down to the G below, count the note 4 down a 4th. Up a 5th 5 and down a 4th 4, 4 + 5 = 9 that just a trick we were taught in school to check ourselves with. Do again this time with a 3rd. C up to E is three notes up a 3rd. Now C down to E count the notes 6. 3 + 6 = 9.

Try that with all the notes of the C scale you'll see the same thing. A lot of math appears in music.
10 522 Read More
Re: Number watching Piano Forum? Gombessa 4 hours ago
Originally Posted by SoundThumb
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
At least we outnumber the bots.... for now....

Let us rejoice in small victories!

We outnumber the DISCLOSED/KNOWN bots...not every crawler is as transparent as Google/Alexa.
7 291 Read More
Members Recordings - Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Bach - P&F F# Minor WTC2, Chopin Etude op.25 no.10 MrSh4nkly 4 hours ago
You're welcome. Something like what this young lady did, for example:

5 43 Read More
Re: Piano Movers in the North-East PassingBy 4 hours ago
Thanks all! This information is super helpful. I’ll give them all a contact. Seems that the price given is pretty reasonable.

Indeed I’m trying to get the information of the number of steps at the pick-up location. A bit hard since I’m out of the country at the moment but will go there in-person in July, I’ve shot the owners a message and asked for photos in advance so let’s see. Every moving company has their own calculations on steps and size range for pricing as well.
6 184 Read More
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Trifonov's Arm pianoloverus Yesterday at 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by KawaFanboi
if he gets 70,000 per concert, that's 7 million dollars a year, under the table, meet and greets, private lessons, stock tips, closer to 10 million, he can't do these circuits when he's older, so he has to cash in now.
Are you making up the 70K figure or do you know it as a fact? I very much doubt he gives private lessons, and no one knows enough to always make money in the stock market. I don't think pianists get paid under the table or for meet and greets.

I very much doubt his reason for playing so many concerts is "to cash in now". I'm sure he's intelligent enough to weight the pros and cons of an extremely heavy concert schedule. He is probably already quite wealthy and can definitely continue playing for many decades if he remains healthy and has the desire.

He's not going to be playing 100 concerts/year when he's 70 but he won't have to. You make it sound like he only has ten more years when he can make money from concerts which is, of course, not the case.
11 817 Read More
Re: Vintage D too soft when using USB over Audio ? Mta88 Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Sooooo. I’m getting distortion with vintage D at moderate volumes.

Both using my studio monitor headphones and the built in speakers of the korg b2

Any idea how to fix this ?

Tried playing with the Master Volume and the slider for vintage D. Both produce the same result .

What am I doing wrong
I doubt my studio monitors are the limitation . Are they?

The korg b2 speakers are 15watt each

Not getting this with pianoteq

Haven’t hooked up the studio monitor speakers to test them out yet .

Was considering maybe using the headphone amp with the headphones ? Maybe it’s the software amplification is the limitation. I have a k240 mkii akg headphones .

MacBook Pro m1
frown
8 395 Read More
Re: Would you order an polished ebony or a Satin wood finish? Cassia Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by dogperson
Sam
Csn we get pics of the 1906 Steinway?
Yes, pics please!
52 1,169 Read More
Re: PiaTune Beta Testing Hakki Yesterday at 11:18 PM
I have uploaded Build 65.

In this build:

IH graph default note switching mode is Auto Semitone.
Auto ST and Auto All is renamed to Auto Semitone and Auto A0 - C8 respectively in IH Graph screen for consistency with tuning screen.
222 10,511 Read More
Re: Baby Grand in small room... mistake? Withindale Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Withindale
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Very interesting. I just read that sound radiation patterns in a grand piano show position dependent variation in level that can be 10 dB or more. (see here, page 163 ff). That is gigantic.

Link?

link
40 1,865 Read More
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Damper noise
by TimM_980 - 06/29/22 12:03 AM
Czerny availablility in large print?
by geopianoincanada - 06/28/22 11:53 PM
Wound bass strings all the way to C4
by TimM_980 - 06/28/22 11:44 PM
Alternatives to MainStage for Live Performances?
by Gord Webster - 06/28/22 11:29 PM
MSRPs, Margins, Price Matching, DP Retailers
by bob@pei - 06/28/22 10:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,718
Posts3,204,044
Members105,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission