2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2102426 06/14/13 11:18 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Hi All,
Another video from me. It's Debussy Reverie. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Cheers,
O

"It always seems impossible until it's done."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Truly excellent! My only suggestion would be to bring out more whichever hand has the melody vs. the accompaniment.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/14/13 01:28 PM.
O
OP Offline
O
Many thanks for taking the time to listen and comment smile
Cheers,
O

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Very good! I would ditto what pianoloverus said except that your overall volume seems just right so I would say subdue the accompaniment a little.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Echoing what the others have said about balance between melody and accompaniment, this is truly a lovely performance.

Thank you!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I also wish to echo both plover and Damon. wink

It sounded fantastic.

Charles Peck (American)--Metropolitan
Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
Very well played!
However, you ask for feedback. Tricky.
Generally, I find it difficult to criticise performances, as everyone's sincere efforts are valuable. Personally, I play the piece a bit differently, but then debating the interpretation is to a large extent a matter of taste.

How I play this is in trying to have the first
entrance scales a bit more hoveringly, like breaths of air and wind, or like the gentle ripple of water at a calm day's shoreline . And then the opening notes in the right hand as a distant flute, as if emerging from afar.

This is a good example:

I also would try and play it with a slightly more distinct pianissimo where prescribed, and a little bit more rubato.
The pianissimo may admittedly be an issue of the recording and of the instrument. What piano is it? Have you tried playing this piece on an upper tier or mid tier grand piano?

Yamaha C3, Sauter Delta 185, Sauter Omega 220
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
The piano is Kawai K-5. I don't know, but I find it a bit hard to play cleanly on my piano, and somehow find it a tad easier to do it on a grand. Oh, maybe it's just me wanting a bigger and better piano...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Perhaps. But your piano sounds LOVELY!!! And your playing does, too.

And along those lines (of playing cleanly) I think that you might be trying to play TOO cleanly to the point of sacrificing some of the expression that you clearly have in your heart to play. Just an observation. I know that playing and posting this stuff is like a high-wire act with no net, and I may be way off in my observation, but it is what I sense--that if you let your fingers follow a little more closely what your ears know that the notes want to say, you'll get a little more out of the piece.

It's VERY good!!! I enjoyed listening very much (three times! The first day you posted, then several times after that! grin )

Thank you so much for sharing! It's been a while since we've seen you here! So glad you are back!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
O
OP Offline
O
Hi Andy,
Thanks so much for your kind words. I know I can always count on you to make my day.
I have actually a lot of stuff I wanted to post here but have been extremely busy for the last couple of months and didn’t have much time to practise. I’ve been wanting to post Rachmaninov Elegie, one of my favourites from Rachmaninov’s solo piano works, but always feel it’s not ready yet. Hopefully, I’ll have the time to polish it these coming weeks and post it here.
Cheers,
O

F
F
Hi O,

I wish, I will be able to play it was well as you! How long had you been playing the piano when you started this piece and how long did it take to you to get it to this level of performance? -George

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
One of the things that Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel had in common besides the word "Impressionism," is that they used to go nuts when performers would over romanticize their music. And, to this day, especially with the music of Debussy, that is exactly what 99.9% of all performers do with this great music.

Impressionistic music is not rhapsodic, in terms of its harmonic rhythm, it is angular. That is why these two composers specifically gave tempo and dynamic guidance when they wanted a change in a given section.

When the score say "tres doux et tres expressif," it doesn't mean smooth and expressive like Chopin, Schumann or Brahms. And, when it says "sans lenteur," it also means that you play it slow but not like a traditional romantic period largo.

So, in that I am a big believer in show and tell, here is a link of a dude who probably studied this piece under Marguerite Long, who studied it under good ol Claude.

Notice the asynchronization, and even some arpeggiation here and there. The bottom line is that this rendering is worlds apart from Ciccolini and the original post here.

And, we are talking about a performance philosophy associated with a particular composer's music. We are not talking about individual interpretation.

I don't play it like the link listed here, but I darn sure don't play it like everyone else does who ham it up, like it is some romantic ballad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhbOrmxcsQ

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I hadn't listened to this recording when you first posted it, but for me, from a musical standpoint this is just a superb presentation of early Debussy -- clear as a bell, beautiful line, nothing "fussed over" or overly rapturous. Thanks so much for providing this little jewel!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Excellent!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Since this bumped to the top, I listened again. It really is beautifully played! I like being enveloped in that sound!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for all the comments.
Re Follow Your Bliss’s questions, I have played the piano for almost 20 years on and off, so I think my progress is painfully slow smile
I had actually played this piece many many years ago and when I got Bavouzet’s CDs of Debussy’s piano works and listened to how beautifully he played it, I decided to re-learn it. It took me around 1 month to get it ready for recording. So Andy, your signature suits me very well smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
LOL! One month?!? That's speedy!!! laugh

I would like to hear it from you again in one or two years from now. grin

But, by all means, feel free to adopt my signature! wink Or, try this one: "Slow down, son; you'll get it done a lot faster." thumb

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission