2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
I'll just refer to preludes 7 and 20, no one 'rolls' these big chords, as in the scherzi, do as you like, it wasn't written/meant.

I agree, and it's also a non sequitur.

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I don't agree, quod est demonstrandum

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
You don't agree with what?

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That it's a non sequitur.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Well, I disagree that it isn't a non sequitur (what?) - look back to his original post. We're discussing specifically the chords in the scherzi. I don't see where the preludes come into it.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sorry dolce, but it was a non sequitur.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by joonsang
[Linked Image]

I've just decided to start learning this piece but I am finding some of the chords very uncomfortable to play.

Left hand BCEGB I am barely able to play, my hand finds itself in a very awkward position. I have tried as many ways possible to make it more comfortable but the length of me hitting those keys requires the contortions.

End of second measure left hand BFD? Quite impossible for my left hand to make that stretch.

Thank you for your inquiry. Okay, I will make a few suggestions.

First, I assume that you can play an octave comfortably in your left hand. And if you cannot, you do not have any business playing this piece.

Second, if you can, first play the octave, and then place your hand in your lap. The octave, as all following notes, should be played with arm weight alone. Do not push down on a key.

Next, in a quick arm weight/lap motion (relaxed!), play the octave adding the next note of the chord, using a staccato strike (hand in lap after each additional note). Do this until you fill out the chord.

Finally, then you repeat this exercise (arm weight alone!) using a non-staccato strike, remembering to strike and release with your hand ending in your lap after each note.

After that, (I couldn't resist) it is perfectly permissible to roll the entire chord, left and right hand together. You can also roll the left hand, and then play the right hand as a block chord, as instructed by Leschetizky (Malwine Bree, 1903).

Regardless of what Mikuli, supposedly wrote. Most pianists of the day (19th century) did just exactly that.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
After that, (I couldn't resist) it is perfectly permissible to roll the entire chord, left and right hand together.

I usually ignore these comments, but I can't allow you to perpetrate such glaring misinformation about this piece. Rolling that chord destroys the music.

Regards,

Polyphonist
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J

[/quote]

First, I assume that you can play an octave comfortably in your left hand. And if you cannot, you do not have any business playing this piece.

[/quote]

Come off it, get over yourself. Honestly, the OP just wants a solution, possibly isn't a professional pianist (if the OP was, the OP wouldn't be asking for suggestions here) and thus I guess the OP is playing for his/her own enjoyment. Don't kill it. You don't own the piece.

YAMAHA Artist
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by joe80

Come off it, get over yourself. Honestly, the OP just wants a solution, possibly isn't a professional pianist (if the OP was, the OP wouldn't be asking for suggestions here) and thus I guess the OP is playing for his/her own enjoyment. Don't kill it. You don't own the piece.

While I typically agree that, if someone wants to try a piece for enjoyment, they should be able to do so without fear of reprisal, there is another concern. If the person is obsessive and spends large amounts of time on a piece they can't possibly reach, and if their technique suffers (as cause or result), then there is the potential for injury. So, while I firmly believe that if you want to play a piece, you should give it a shot, there are some things to be mindful of that may not surface for months or even years. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yup, I agree Derelux, but that's a different matter than someone else saying 'you do not have any business playing this piece', which is a harsh statement.

I wouldn't recommend the amateur to jump in playing Chopin Etudes or Rachmaninoff Preludes without first gaining the necessary souplesse in the hands to pull them off, not as a matter of business or right, but to prevent injury and because it will be a far more rewarding and enjoyable experience.

I've seen too many people - some of my own pupils - end gaining, and with terrible results. My advanced pupils have asked me 'is it REALLY necessary to practise in this way?' meaning, is it really necessary to practise in a way that means you are paying attention to every single movement you make in order that you have the physical equipment to play the piece. My answer is always yes, if you want to play well, this is necessary, and it's going to be far quicker for you to do it this way than to hack away at it and get it sort of right and never really be able to play it.

People get so impatient, that's a problem, and that impatience leads not only to bad playing but to injury, and desensitizes the ear to poor tone.

YAMAHA Artist
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Yup, I agree Derelux, but that's a different matter than someone else saying 'you do not have any business playing this piece', which is a harsh statement.

thumb I am not a fan of harsh black/white statements, either. There's usually a lot of ground between the two extremes. grin

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I don't like non sequiturs, I don't like statements that are so rock-solid that they don't allow any counterreactions, I don't like narcism, I don't like things/people/thoughts that don't move, I love music, that's the one and only artform that excludes all the above mentioned not-likes, it moves, from one point of view to the other, from one moment, nay, second, to the other, from centuries ago to now and tomorrow, let's keep it moving.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joe80
Exactly. No good teacher would phrase things that way to a enthusiastic amateur when the same result can be accomplished with different phrasing.

When I was in high school my piano teacher took me to hear Rubinstein play at Carnegie Hall. I heard Chopin's Ballade No.4 for the first time, liked it, and not having the slightest idea how difficult it was asked my teacher if I could learn it. Although I don't remember what he said and didn't study that piece, I know he just didn't respond in a way that indicated it was a ridiculous question. A few years later I asked my college piano teacher if I could learn the Goldberg Variation, again not having the slightest how difficult they were. Although that was 50 years ago, I actually do remember what he said: "Oh, you can study that by yourself if you want to but we will continue learning pieces from the WTC."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission