2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
How can a piano be a "showroom model" if it's still in the original factory "packaging"?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
There is an original protective film from the Bösendorfer-factory on the black polished surface - the grand piano can be played in the showroom anyway.

There's IMHO nobody who can give qualified advice in a case such as this.
For one, the piano goes to a very young [lucky] child who may not quite yet appreciate the subtle difference of the variable makes and models on market.
And "players matter" - at least in my world of thinking. wink
Be it by coincidence or not, many of my Chinese customers in Vancouver similarly: they want a great piano for their kids but don't know on what to decide. They often listen to sales people and/or teachers, all of those of course harboring their own biases. [or 'benefits...]
It's pathetic to see how "business' can at that point take over the discussion, often resulting in far less than ideal situations for the buyer.
Fact is that in such case one typically needs to become an "all out" salesman. Frankly not [or no longer.. blush ] my own favorite position to be in. Instead one would need to talk and listen to those who actually will PLAY the piano.
And have certain comments or 'demands' also perhaps for later... wink
To be frank, I really wouldn't know what to recommend to a 7 years old child unless the child has been trying on a number of different pianos and is at least somewhat involved in the process.
Everybody knows Boesendorfer is a great piano, in fact EACH model is!
However the fact that no other same/similar tier instrument is being considered, IMHO is lacking the advantage of a real test simply by comparing 'comparable' pianos of very high quality to each other. Which is where IMHO things are really at.
It's also where I have learned over the years to truly enjoy success in this business: it's nice to be "chosen" as final winner! yippie
For example, Steingraeber makes certain models which could, especially at size 170, be deemed incredibly competitive and quite possibly superior to Bosies. [they are to all others I know...]
Fact is also that most makes exceed at one particular size in their line up. By comparing these particular models, things may eventually take shape becoming often the final choice for actual players.
It's the only world making sense to me - in fact I refuse to show pianos without that.
So no, while certainly admiring the choice of a fine make like Bosendorfer, I really couldn't give sensible advice here re 'model'
Perhaps just "buy the model that fits you best" - whatever that might be.
Over to those who are better at this than me.
best wishes,
Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 07/27/16 06:29 PM.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Joe for your informative inputs here!

If we decide to take the 1980, we'll definitely get our technician to have a good thorough inspection on the piano.

M
OP Offline
M
Dear Norbert,

In fact I did look into Steingraeber & Sohne 170. Gorgeous piano indeed. However, the sound is a bit too bright for my taste. I prefer deep warm sound like Bosendorfer.

Best regards,

Recent Bosendorfer owner here, bought new as it was a lifetime purchase. Like you, I'm uniquely drawn to the sound, even when compared head-to-head with other fine pianos. I'm the same way with cars, once I'm locked into a brand, that's all I'm really interested in.

Pianos, like cars, depreciate with age. Much like buying a car, where do you want to get into the depreciation curve? Do you want this year's Porsche 911 for $140K, or one from the last decade for $50K? Both are exceptional cars, pleasurable to drive, with long lives ahead of them. It's hard to say which is the "better deal".

If you're concerned about potential resale value down the road, I'd go for the older Bosie, as much of the deprecation has already occurred. You also can probably drive a harder deal, as there probably aren't many people in the market for a 1980 Bosendorfer 170. Don't discount transaction costs, as your dealer wants to make money both buying and selling. Finally, you'll have less money tied up in the instrument if, errr, things change.

Either way you'll be ending up with a fine instrument.

Best regards

-- Chuck

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
M
OP Offline
M
Dear Chuck,

Thanks so much for your opinion.

Regards,

maple2red

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Ach du lieber

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
If the 1980 was hardly ever played make sure you have a technician look at both of them to make sure they were properly maintained. There are thousands of parts in the action that if left dormant could be an issue. A great technician will be the key to your answer.

My 170 is from 1989 when I purchased it new in Germany. I love it! Best of wishes to you. You will be thrilled with a Bösendorfer!

Steve
Bösendorfer 170

Bösendorfer 170
M
OP Offline
M
Dear Steve,

Great to hear you have been enjoying your Bosendorfer 170 since 1989!

I'm sure we'll love our Bosendorfer as you do.

Warm regards,

Maple2red

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Dear Maple2red,

I'm thrilled for you! All the best. Steve

Bösendorfer 170
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission