2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Beautiful piano and what a happy day for you. Now play the heck out of it.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Great Piano and beautiful room. Many congratulations!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by John305
Beautiful piano and what a happy day for you. Now play the heck out of it.

And never move out of your apartment. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the congrats, everyone. And yes, she's a beauty although my father was visibly shaken. He visited me today - did not want to miss the show - and the old man jumped on the one and only litte damage in the polish (half the size of a penny) like a stinger missile. Other than this one tiny little spot the piano is immaculate. Dad was sad. I was not smile

Originally Posted by joe80
Congratulations. This piano I am certain is objectively better than either a 30 year old Yamaha or a new Hailun (I do now have experience of the new Feurichs). This was made in the same factory as the old Feurichs right? Well these pianos have a great deal of potential, they're beautifully made and they are comparable in quality to Hamburg Steinway, although they're not comparable in price on the used market, which makes for a good buy.

I say comparable in quality, but of course they don't sound like Steinways, they're completely different, but they're most certainly in that tier one bracket. At university there is a 7'6 Feurich from 1988, a German one from this factory, and it's a beautiful piano. It needs regulated and voiced at the moment unfortunately because the university don't invest any money in proper maintenance for their pianos (yes, I know, I know.... they'll say that they're terrible pianos and buy new before they think to actually service.....), but it's clear that the piano is of the highest quality.

Yes, in the 80s Hoffmann and Feurich actually were not independent companies but brands of the piano manufacturer Euterpe in Langlau, Franconia, Germany. Ten or so years later Bechstein bought Euterpe; the names Euterpe and Feurich have been sold and the modern pianos of these names have nothing in common anymore with the good old Euterpe instruments. Bechstein kept the Hoffmann brand though and builds quite nice mid range instruments under that name in the Czech Republik.

The Euterpe-Feuichs and -Hoffmans though are another thing. They definitly are not "just" quite nice mid range instruments. And yes, this Hoffmann is identical to the Feurichs of the periode. Look here: This is a 100% identical Feurich: http://klavierhalle.de/fluegel/feurich_fluegel_modell_190_343332728.html

Compare the images of its interiour with mine and you will not find many differences. Of course they used a different casting form because the brand name must be in there, but the structural layout is identical as is the model designation in the right corner.

Mine also needs tuning and a bit of voicing now, it was packed, shipped and stored for almost 4 weeks. Next week the technician will be here.

Last edited by Thorsten; 05/08/18 10:57 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
This is btw what ruined my fathers day.... he gets a bit strange lately

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by tend to rush
Originally Posted by Thorsten
the pedal holder of a grand piano is called Lyra in German, how do you call it in English?

Lyre. One syllable - "y" sounds like a long "I", the "e" is silent.

in UK, like the US "leer or beer"

in US *two syllables* like hire, fire or liar with the second syllable being the neutral, swallowed vowel sound called "schwa".

I like Spanish; five pure vowel sounds, only a few diphthongs and silent letters almost non-existent. If you can read it, you can say it; if you can say it you can spell it.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on a beautiful piano. I am sure you are going to love it!

[Linked Image]
R
R
This is btw what ruined my fathers day.... he gets a bit strange lately

It's hard to tell from the photo how bad that mark is. It may mostly polish out if it's just a surface scratch.

1938 Chickering Baby Grand
Trying to learn about these fascinating instruments
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Originally Posted by tend to rush
the pedal holder of a grand piano is called Lyra in German, how do you call it in English?

Lyre. One syllable - "y" sounds like a long "I", the "e" is silent.

in UK, like the US "leer or beer"

in US *two syllables* like hire, fire or liar with the second syllable being the neutral, swallowed vowel sound called "schwa".

I like Spanish; five pure vowel sounds, only a few diphthongs and silent letters almost non-existent. If you can read it, you can say it; if you can say it you can spell it.

I'm from the UK and I've only ever heard it pronounced the US way. It's the same word as the small harp and is pronounced the same way with two syllables.

Paul.

WOW Thorsten! What a beautiful looking AND sounding piano. Congratulations:-) This makes me wonder if its worthwhile to come to Germany from the States, find and purchase an instrument like this, and have it brought over. There are plenty of used instruments here but it seems to me that you can get a used piano of the highest caliber over there at bargain price comparatively speaking.

“Whether You Think You Can Or Think You Can’t, You’re Right.”- Henry Ford
T
OP Offline
T
Having it for a day now I really like it a lot. The sound is really ... grand. I am fighting a bit with the action. I learned piano as a kid on a awfull little upright, I stopped to play because this upright was so terrible that I could not develop my skills any further and it was no fun anymore. Then I did not play at all for at least 16 years before I bought a Yamaha Clavinova. Which I also did not play often, because after 16 years I simply could not play anymore.

Six months ago I decided to take lessons agan and now, 21 years after stopping to play, I am on a pretty good track. Still not great pieces, Bach Inventions for example.

And now I have my Hoffmann and as I said: The action is a new beast. I forgot how my upright felt, but I can tell you, that Clavinova feels nothing like my grand piano and I am accustomed to the touch of a digital now. I know enough to realize that the Hoffmann has a really nice action, but it will take time to learn how to play it properly.

For that reason I will definitly not post any real music pieces anywhere for quite some time, but of course after you helped me in my decision to find it, here are a few chords

https://soundcloud.com/user-468992210/klangprobe

When the tuner comes next week we will discuss if there is a need for some voicing. And I have to add some accoustic absorbers or diffusors to the room

Cheers
Thorsten

Last edited by Thorsten; 05/09/18 10:53 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by ThePawn
WOW Thorsten! What a beautiful looking AND sounding piano. Congratulations:-) This makes me wonder if its worthwhile to come to Germany from the States, find and purchase an instrument like this, and have it brought over. There are plenty of used instruments here but it seems to me that you can get a used piano of the highest caliber over there at bargain price comparatively speaking.

Hi.

I also thought that when I saw the prices pianos go for in the USA.

New pianos are quite a bit cheaper in Germany. I found a brand new Yamaha C7X for roughly 50,000 USD and a pristine looking C7 from the 80s for under 17,000USD.

A rebuild Blüthner Mod. 6 (190cm) will usually cost 15,000 to 20,000USD. The only problem is to find the really good ones, because of course you are not really buying a Blüthner or Bechstein or Bösendorfer, when you buy a rebuilt instrument, you buy the technician who did the work.

Thanks for the congrats, everyone. And yes, she's a beauty although my father was visibly shaken. He visited me today - did not want to miss the show - and the old man jumped on the one and only litte damage in the polish (half the size of a penny) like a stinger missile. Other than this one tiny little spot the piano is immaculate. Dad was sad. I was not

Oh, memories from the past!! Made me escape the olde country!

Now my kids accuse me of same... cry whome

Enjoy your piano "despite"

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 05/10/18 04:58 PM.

T
OP Offline
T
It‘s not a German thing, Norbert. It‘s an old guys thing.

But give it some time and it will be fixed. Although I really see no benefit in it (If you don‘t know it, you won‘t see it and if you know it, you will see it only when you kneel down in front of the instrument), I am certain that Dad will keep nagging about it until I surrender just to make him shut up.

You know, what they could not make me do when I was a teenager living with my parents 20+ years ago with „Solange Du deine Füße unter meinen Tisch stellst .....“ they can make me do easily today by just complaining.... and complaining. ..... and then they complain a bit more......

The only reason my car has an alarm system is because when Dad saw it the first time he said: „Nice car. Are you not afraid that somebody steals it?“ - „No.“ - „You should be. You should install an alarm system“ - „No“ and then he kept pushing me for days, even calling me in the evening: „Hey Thorsten, you remember, you wanted to install an alarms system in ...“ - „Ah, no, you wanted me to install an....“ - „Yes, yes,yes, you know I found a great offer in the internet, you should really take a look....“

In the end you pay the money just to make the old man shut up smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission