2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2785129 11/27/18 01:10 AM

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Whenever I see a piano on TV or in a movie I always try to see what brand it is. Most of the time, the name is obscured or the angles don't allow easy identification.

I've never been a big TV watcher, but during Mrs. Retsacnal's cancer battle we discovered the Hallmark Channel. Every movie has a happy ending, and we definitely needed that. Anyway, I still occasionally watch them, and tonight I'm watching Sound of Christmas, in which a music school features prominently (a plot line that looms large in my reason for watching). Quite a few pianos, and as usual the names on the fallboards are illusive.

Then, all of a sudden, an upright and it's exposed name were so "out there" that it could have been a product placement! I've never seen a Petrof in person, but now I've seen one on TV.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In the old days the BBC would not allow any brand to show on anything. Even a can of soup would have the name blacked out. Pianos were ordered with no name on the fallboard and they would ensure that no camera angle betrayed the make. My father used to try to work out the maker by various features. Most of them were Hamburg Steinways.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
In the old days the BBC would not allow any brand to show on anything. Even a can of soup would have the name blacked out. Pianos were ordered with no name on the fallboard and they would ensure that no camera angle betrayed the make.
Most of them were Hamburg Steinways.

They still are, except on TV where Yamaha seems to rule the roost. Fazioli was used during the summer on the Proms Extra program last year on TV - and its logo was prominently shown on the screen.

These days, it seems the BBC too has succumbed to brand placement. In the weekday drive-time 'In Tune' program on BBC Radio 3, the presenter keeps referring to "our studio Steinway" (without having to say "other brands are available" wink ), and guest pianists are often encouraged to talk about their favourite brands (often Fazioli) without being challenged about their choices, and told that 'other brands are available'.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00018bd

If music be the food of love, play on!
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

It's one extreme or the other.

If there's a product placement deal, they have to make sure you see the name.

Absent such a deal, the production company would have to secure the rights to use a trademarked name. That's a whole lot of hassle and paperwork for something that doesn't make the show any better. So, it's far more cost effective to just get rid of the name, even if they have to do it in post production as a CGI effect. (Shooting in a shopping mall is a real nightmare for rights and clearances, trademarked names and signage everywhere you look.)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
The movie about Florence Foster Jenkins shows scenes of her practicing with her pianist .The piano is a Bechstein grand .
I also have seen other pianos such as an upright Knight in other movies and I once
thought I saw a Steinways grand in a movie .

S
S
One of the Iron Man movies by Marvel prominently displayed a Bluthner grand piano in the mansion of the protagonist... it was later destroyed. The destroyed piano was a fake; I was told as much by the people who rented out the Bluthner.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There was a white Bösendorfer that made quite a few appearances on BBC programs, but with the name obscured. It was before the side logo was standard.

The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson featured a Bösendorfer for many years.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
The Bechstein in the Florence Foster movie did not somehow look like
the older Bechstein grands I have seen .I also saw an upright Bechstein in a German movie with English subtitles about a German housewife and her friends. The movie was set in the early 1940 s during the 2nd world war .The piano looked like an old Broadwood piano we once had .It could I suppose have been an authentic Bechstein.
In one scene the heroine sings while her father accompanies her on the piano .I remember it was Christmas eve .

K
K
Recently, I was very surprised to watch a TV commercial for Yamaha pianos ! It was on black Friday, and showed a young girl playing a new upright, likely a U3, while her parents watched on.

"Play Bach constantly. That will be your best means of progress." -F.Chopin
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

There was a Woody Allen movie within the last 5-10 years that featured a white Sojin baby grand. Surprising that they used the name, and more so because the story was set in the 1930's, about 50 years before the piano was built. Daewoo closed the Sojin factory in 1991, long before the movie was made, too.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Schroeder plays a Charles Schulz Pollman.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by kdr152004
Recently, I was very surprised to watch a TV commercial for Yamaha pianos ! It was on black Friday, and showed a young girl playing a new upright, likely a U3, while her parents watched on.

That's interesting! I'd love to see more TV commercials for pianos. I know the musical instrument industry seems to be struggling in general. I wonder why instrument manufacturers don't advertise more on TV and radio? That might encourage and spark more interest and drive more sales. More kids might take up interest in learning to play the piano, the organ, guitars, etc.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

There was a Woody Allen movie within the last 5-10 years that featured a white Sojin baby grand. Surprising that they used the name, and more so because the story was set in the 1930's, about 50 years before the piano was built. Daewoo closed the Sojin factory in 1991, long before the movie was made, too.

That was the movie "Cafe Society", set in the late 1930's. Sojin was introduced to the American public in 1964.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
There were a lot of piano moments on Frazier. Frazier Piano

P
P
'The Children Act', recently released, starring Emma Thompson - it's like an advert for Fazioli.
Ridiculous.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Anyone know what make the piano is in the movie Casablanca .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 11/28/18 07:04 PM. Reason: Extra word
B
BDB Offline
B
The piano in Casablanca is a Tom Thumb piano, which I believe were made by Kohler & Campbell, but sold under many names.

Semipro Tech
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
In The Pianist, the main character's piano is a Bechstein. It's even mentioned. When the Jewish family in Nazi-occupied Warsaw are trying to raise money, the pianist's sister protests at the paltry amount they are offered for the piano, and points out its "a Bechstein."

I believe a Perzina piano also made an appearance.

Last edited by johnstaf; 12/03/18 07:00 AM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
In "Grand Piano" it's a Bosendorfer Imperial, and the number of keys is even part of the conversation between the killer and the pianist.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BDB
The piano in Casablanca is a Tom Thumb piano, which I believe were made by Kohler & Campbell, but sold under many names.

There were two picture pianos, both Tom Thumbs, one for Paris, the other for Casablanca. Both sold at different auctions for big bucks. The piano on the sound track is a full size upright, played off camera. Dooley Wilson was a drummer, not a pianist, but he faked the movements quite well. Warner's bought them from Hollywood Piano in Burbank.

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission