2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Mizaru (haha I just typed your name and IOS auto-corrected it to Mozart :-)

I have a powerful computer and have never managed to get Pianoteq to work without lag. It’s possible I’m not patient enough but I’ve spent hours messing with the sample rate, bit rate etc and never managed minimal-enough lag that it doesn’t affect my playing. You could download it for free (trial version), plug your laptop into some cheap keyboard, and see if it works for you. The other one to have a look at (listen to?) is the Galaxy Vintage D (http://www.galaxy-instruments.com/vintage-d.html) - someone posted a recording in the Members Recording forum recently and the sound is the best I’ve heard, if I didn’t already own pianoteq I would go with this.

Good luck!
Cathryn

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cathryn999

I have a powerful computer and have never managed to get Pianoteq to work without lag. It’s possible I’m not patient enough but I’ve spent hours messing with the sample rate, bit rate etc and never managed minimal-enough lag that it doesn’t affect my playing. You could download it for free (trial version), plug your laptop into some cheap keyboard, and see if it works for you. The other one to have a look at (listen to?) is the Galaxy Vintage D (http://www.galaxy-instruments.com/vintage-d.html) - someone posted a recording in the Members Recording forum recently and the sound is the best I’ve heard, if I didn’t already own pianoteq I would go with this.

Good luck!
Cathryn

Pianoteq definitely works for me without even a smidgen of lag. You should contact Pianoteq technical support and get that solved. Having any lag makes the product unusable. On a different technical issue, they responded and solved my issue in only 12 hours. From a timezone perspective, note that their tech support is based in Europe.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Good luck!
Cathryn

Pianoteq definitely works for me without even a smidgen of lag. You should contact Pianoteq technical support and get that solved. Having any lag makes the product unusable. On a different technical issue, they responded and solved my issue in only 12 hours. From a timezone perspective, note that their tech support is based in Europe.

Me too! I only have an old cheap lappie from 2008, but the settings work without lag and give great reliable results for the stage version. If anyone wants these settings send me a pm.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
G
Would you say that the Grand Feel key action is still worth it when the GF2 action is already out? Since the GF2 is not (yet?) available in slab form pianos.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mizaru

I want a digital piano that can replace an acoustic, at least for recording purposes. I would love to be able to take it out and gig (very occasionally as opposed to regularly).
Experienced classical player is looking for an acoustic piano experience in a digital box. Must be able to fool anybody into thinking it's the real thing. Ideally play like a Yamaha, sound like a Steinway; but just behave like a real piano will do (big thing for me is different tones for fortes based on weight going down into the keys vs. springing up from the keys). Does it exist? Would love to keep things under about $5000, but is it something that exists at any price point yet?

No.

Although I'm quite impressed with the results PW member John Lewis Grant gets. First off, he's a great Bach player ! I'm under the impression his recordings are with software pianos. His recordings sound almost indiscernible from the real thing over my system - Neumann KH 120 and Benchmark DAC 3.
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/users/26755/johnlewisgrant.html

If you can't afford the AvantGrand and want to stay under 5K- I don't think you'll get an argument that the MP11se has the best action in a stage piano. Not at all gig friendly. Like the other poster said, I prefer the MP11 action over the VPC-1.

I'm at 4 years, 8 months with my CP4. In my 51 years of gigging , I've never had a better playing or sounding electronic keyboard. But when you get into live stuff, half the battle are your speakers. I use the RCF TT08As with a studio grade preamp/di-- JMK Audio JM-110. That could be considered part of the "budget" if you don't want to play with phones all the time. Personally I'm at the point where it's hard for me to get past the 10 minute mark wearing them.

Or you could budget $3000 for a pair of studio monitors and don't worry about the live sound that much since it sounds like you would be gigging infrequently. The TT08As are detailed and hi-fi sounding enough to pull double duty btw. And can be had lower then the advertised internet pricing if you know where to shop. smile

If I had to choose a stage piano after the CP4 and needed to stay at or under my self-imposed 40 lbs., it would probably be the Nord Piano 4. Haven't played the NP4 but the NP3 while being pretty good, still wasn't up to the Yamaha action. What I've heard of it, I like the newer Nord Royal Grand sample quite a bit.

I'm primarily a Jazz player but do practice Classical on my piano at home. I never practice Classical on either digital piano though.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 11/24/18 09:01 PM.
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

The two must-try's are Kawai's MP11SE and Yamaha's P515. The Yamaha is very new and hot, so may be hard to find.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I have a powerful computer and have never managed to get Pianoteq to work without lag.

cathryn999: You should check out this thread about reducing lag in Pianoteq by installing ASIO4ALL, setting buffer size, and turning off any CPU throttling on your PC.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission