2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2289360 06/13/14 02:33 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
OK I should probably know this but I don't. When I look for used Yamaha pianos that are between 20 to 40 years old, I see a lot of "G1, G2, etc." pianos listed. The thing is, these seem to be priced fairly close to the C series of the same age, maybe a little bit less.

I know in more modern times the "G" series is a step down from the C or CX series.

At what point did a "G1" morph into a "GB1H", or was the original G series retired at some point?

Thanks,
Brian

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
W
W
I posted a link to a timeline of Yamaha's grand pianos lineup a while ago. I think it's this.

http://jp.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/about/model_history_gp/

The G1, G2, etc. were part of Yamaha's G series in the 60s and the 70s. In the 60s, this was Yamaha's grand piano lineup.

G Series - 5 and 6 feet
C Series - 7 feet
CS - 8 feet
CF - 9 feet

The 'C' in C Series meant 'Conservatory' and was built for use in music institutions. CS means 'Concert-Semi' and CF means 'Concert-Full', both built for Concert Halls. I don't know what G means but I think it simply means 'Grand'.

The differences among the series was the level of quality put into the pianos. One notable difference between the G and C series is that the C series had an extra cross-bracing in the piano frame.

The G series was discontinued in the 1980s. The models in the G series lineup (G1, G2, G3, G5) were all upgraded to C series standards and became (C1, C2, C3, C5). The 'C5' name conflicted with another model which led to introduction of the 'C6' name.

The GB and GC series like the GB1H are scaled-down versions of the C series. They take out some of the features to cut down the price tag.

Forever, we can make it.
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Excellent! Exactly what I was looking for.

Based on the website the C3 for some strange reason existed side-by-side with the G3 from 1967 through 1994. This makes sense, as my teacher's piano is a vintage 1973 C3. I have looked for an English language version of this website but have been unable to find it so far.

Thanks again smile

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
1000 Post Club Member
R
There was also a 7' 4" G7, I have one in my living room. An excellent piano.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nice bit of Yamaha piano/model history, worldlinerai... smile

I don't know a lot about pianos, but I've heard and read that the "C" series plate was a little heavier (thicker?) than the "G" serise, along with a few other differences; but the differences were not substantial.

As Roger said, the "G" series Yamaha grands are very nice pianos. I have a C7 Yamaha that is my fovorite piano of all time... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If one is a home pianist what actual difference does having a top of the line concert piano actually make? If such a person is happy with the action and sound of his piano is there any advantage in trading up?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Hi guys. Bit confused. Just seen a Yamaha upright, serial: G 1240697, but when I search pictures for Yamaha G series, they're all grands.

Any idea why this, and whether the manufacture date of 1971/72 is correct despite the G? It looks a bit newer than that, I was guessing 80s, but it might just have been kept in storage for a while. Bought in Beijing.

M.

Sorry - just seen it's a U2. Do all U2s have a G at the start of the serial number?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lirika
Hi guys. Bit confused. Just seen a Yamaha upright, serial: G 1240697, but when I search pictures for Yamaha G series, they're all grands.

Any idea why this, and whether the manufacture date of 1971/72 is correct despite the G? It looks a bit newer than that, I was guessing 80s, but it might just have been kept in storage for a while. Bought in Beijing.

M.

I just rented a U1 that was built in 1975 and it has a serial number that starts with a G. I know the rental company has a team that refurbishes pianos in Japan and then ships them to the US. One of the Yamaha serial number date programs online said my piano was not built for the US market, so, I take the G to mean it was but for the Japanese market, but I don’t know for sure.

Thanks so much, makes a lot of sense smile

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lirika
Thanks so much, makes a lot of sense smile

By the way, here is Yamaha’s page about their serial numbers. I couldn’t find any specific information about Gs on uprights.

Last edited by LarryK; 08/03/19 07:22 AM.
J
J
Yamaha's original G series is still in race. Here are the details:

Yamaha G1
5’3″ Baby Grand Piano. A perfect beginners’ piano that will fit easily into smaller rooms.

Yamaha G2
5’8″ Small Grand Piano. A great piano for a smal to mid to large size room with great sound and great looks.

Yamaha G3
6’1″ Grand Piano. A intermediate piano that is big enough to get the full grand experience at a great value and suitable for mid to large size rooms.

Yamaha G5
6’7″ Grand Piano. A big piano with big sound and an imposing presense. Perfect for a large home or studio at an affordable price.

S
S
Differences between the G Series an the C Series in the early 70's to early 80's:

The C Series used denser hammerfelts, a harder (magnesium alloy) plate; tapered hammershanks, walnut hammer cores, and beveled lids. It was designed to have greater projection.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

P
P
I bought a new G2 in 1987 from a SoCal dealer. Had it for almost 2 decades, stayed in tune very well. Sold it at 75% of purchase price. They are great for young students to get their feet wet on a small grand piano. The young family that purchased it had a 10 year old son that showed lots of promise. My 2 cents worth.

Schimmel C169 Kawai NV5S

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission