2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hello, all!

New guy, name's Mark, and I've got a Triumph Autopiano built in the year 1900 that just got moved into my new house. It was at my folk's home for for 8 or so years, and with my uncle for an unknown amount of time before that. Before him, I don't know its history.

From what I understand, it has been rebuilt at least once in its life, but it's currently not functioning properly. The pedals turn the scroll, but the keys aren't even pretending to be played. The piano guy who came out quoted $1,500 to take it away and try and fix it, with a warning that it may well become more expensive as he tears it apart. Between the new house and the wedding next month, that's not really in the budget.

So, the way I see it, I can have a broken player piano, or I can try and fix it with the worst case scenario being that I continue to have a broken player piano. As a mechanical engineer, I think the latter would be well worth the time and effort, but I wanted to ask some people who know more than me what they think.

So, a couple questions:
Is this thing gonna be an impenetrable fortress of confusion and terror, surprisingly doable, or somewhere in between?
Are there any resources you all might recommend?
Assuming I need parts, any idea where one gets parts for a 119 year old piano?

I likely won't start anything until after the wedding, but any advice on useful research or tips from the experts around here would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you all in advance!

D
D
You might not get many responses here. You may want to also post your question on Mechanical Music Digest, where the older players are frequently discussed. I'd also suggest getting a copy of Player Piano: Servicing and Rebuilding by Arthur Reblitz. It gives a LOT of information on how to rebuild old players. It is available on Amazon.

Dave In Denver
1916 Weber FR 6' Duo Art
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Not sure if you are still wondering or if this project has moved forward in other ways, but I am responding regardless.

I strongly recommend that you get at least one, if not both of these books:

https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Servicing-Tuning-Rebuilding/dp/1879511029/

https://www.amazon.com/Player-Piano-Rebuilding/dp/0911572406/

I have the first and it is great. It only briefly mentions player pianos, but I suspect you will need to know and fix some of the regular piano parts. Or at least evaluate your instrument, which both books will give you a great deal of understanding, even if you don't do anything other than "look inside".

Best,
D.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission