2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
Hello, I'm not quite sure what mirror symmetry is actually supposed to mean in this context. Is it meant that you play a piece backwards?

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
This is an interesting observation, because it makes sense to think in terms of vertical or horizontal mirror symmetry. If you think of a musical score, a vertical axis can be understood as a kind of bar line on which the notes of the left side are mirrored on the right side, so that the music then runs backwards, so to speak. A horizontal axis can be thought of as a horizontal line between the treble clef and the bass clef, on which the music of one side is mirrored. The latter concerns the mirror symmetry of the keyboard, with the mirror axis d. The whole thing is explained well comprehensibly and understandably on the already above mentioned Kickstarter project or by Marc-André Hamelin on Youtube:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tions-16-mirror-symmetrical-piano-pieces

I hope i could help you!

D
D
In the meantime i learned on Youtube about another jazz pianist, Vardan Ovsepian, practising with mirror symmetrical inversion. He published some exercises and seems to use them as a tool for improvisation. I am not an improvisor, are all pieces mentioned in the other posts fully written out? I am more interested in compositions that don't focus mainly on the technical aspect.

A
Ameron Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The proportion of improvisation is certainly high among jazz pianists like Chick Corea, Jesus Molina, Jeremy Siskind and Dan Tepfer. Not all of them seem to have published sheet music editions, while Vardan Ovsepian, whom you mentioned, as well as Victor Alcántara, who also wrote a theory book on the subject, have published fully written-out pieces that focus on the mirror symmetry of the keyboard. Pieces by Bela Bártók, Vincent Persichetti, Rodion Shchedrin are probably also available in libraries.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission