2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (anotherscott, c++, chopinetto, bajtucha, Bill McKaig,RPT, CyberGene, beeboss, 16 invisible), 513 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
I am pleased to present our 60th Adult Beginner's Forum Quarterly Recital! Yes, that's 60 - 15 years of online recitals!

Please refrain from commentary in this thread. Take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room for Recital 60

Thank you!

In addition to the recordings below, and the zip files linked below, we have an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

For the convenience of forum members, we also have a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

zip1
zip2
zip3
zip4
zip5

And here is the index to past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Thanks for listening!

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!

Sam

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:jazzyprof
Experience:Many
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Song Without Words, Op.30 no.1
Composer:Mendelssohn
Duration:05:31
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Steinway B
Recording method:Zoom H4
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:This lyrical Mendelssohn piece is entitled "Contemplation". I hope I didn't butcher it too badly.:-)

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:QuasiUnaFantasia
Experience:Approaching 3.5 years since rebooting, playing from sheet music. Decades of playing only by ear, and only rather little. Two seasons of formal teaching as a child.
Title of piece:Prelude op. 28 no. 6
Composer:Chopin
Duration:02:00
Source of music:Memorized from sheet music
Instrument used:Roland FP-30
Recording method:Synthogy Studio Grands (Bosendorfer 225)
Additional info:I've never recorded anything by Chopin, so maybe it was about time to do so. smile Generally, Chopin has never been amongst my favourite composers, and I have taken to his music only in the last few years. It is first and foremost his preludes in opus 28 that I now like - or even love, as in the case of no. 6, which is the one I am submitting here.

It is one of the easiest of the preludes, from a technical point of view, but musically it provides a lot decisions to be made. I have listened to about 15 recordings of it by professional pianists, and the only thing they seem to all agree on is that there is nothing to agree on with respect to how it should sound. Argerich plays it in 1:46 minutes, Pogorelich needs another minute to finish it! My version avoids both extremes. Hopefully you'll enjoy it! smile

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:>7 years
Title of piece:celestial voices and vesper song, op.45 no9, 10
Composer:Heller, Stephen
Duration:04:00
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk, Macbook Pro
Additional info:Stephen Heller was a hungarian pianist. He wrote these etudes in 1844. He worked then as concert performer and teacher in Paris. He wanted to study with Czerny but due to lack of money he got lessons fro Anton Halm. Aged 14 he did a successfull concert tour which earned him good money but seriously impacted his health. He recovered in Augsburg, supported by Frau Caroline Hoeslin von Eichthal. After 2 years he went to Paris where he stayed most of the rest of his life. He had a decent income mainly from short pieces, etudes and his book 'the art of phrasing'.

In both etudes, the RH plays both the melody and part of the accompaniment. The melody goes very soft at places, yet the accompaniment must be a lot softer especially if the melody has long sustained notes. The LH just plays some simple chords. In the first piece, the RH accompaniment is fast wide arpeggio's, in the second piece the RH accompaniment is a kind of slow trill with the 4th and 5th finger. The overall challenge in both is to play the accompaniments soft while overholding the melody notes with part of the fingers.

Especially the first piece is a challenge when the arpeggio notes are not comfortably reachable, for instance when the middle notes are close to each other, causing the other notes to become difficult to reach.

I had my piano voiced and it makes a big difference to the sound, much less harsh. I should have done that a few years ago :-)

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ido
Experience:Almost 4 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZjhJY7NHbQ
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/featured
Title of piece:Little prelude in D major (BWV 925)
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:01:26
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Yamaha P515
Recording method:digital to PC
Additional info:This is my favorite little prelude. I love it.
It is short piece, but it poses many challenges. There's so much going on and I didn't to manage make every bit sound like I wanted, but I hope the musical idea is coming through and that you would enjoy it!
If you're interested, I have recorded several more preludes, which can be found on my YouTube channel.

Thank you very much for listening!
Thank you Sam for making this happen.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A few sporadic lessons decades apart, self-directed learner since December 2011
Title of piece:Gymnopedie No. 1
Composer:Erik Satie
Duration:03:05
Source of music:'Erik Satie - Three Gymnopedies for the Piano'. G Hengeveld, Broekemans & Van Poppel, 1976
Instrument used:Kawai ES110, Pianoteq 6
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:One suggestion for a way to mark this 60th ABF Recital was 'perform something you wanted to submit but never could before'.

I challenged myself with Gymnopedies #2 and #3 several Recitals ago, but struck difficulties with the first and most well-known of the three. Finally here it is: warts and all as usual, but it's my best effort so far.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:Many years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7m81n6e-U
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Aria from The Goldberg Variations
Composer:J.S.Bach
Duration:04:28
Instrument used:Young Chang grand
Recording method:Digital
Additional info:I recorded two pieces last week, one an original and the other the Aria from the Goldberg Variations. Decisions, decisions. I also did a recording of the Aria around 10 years ago. As this is my 60th recital I thought I would be fun to revisit it and record it again for the recital. I'm not sure if I've played it better or worse or the same but I love the piece and it was a real joy to play it again. I did use pedal this time which I prefer. I also played the repeats but for the first one I moved the right hand up an octave and for the second one I moved the left hand down an octave. I heard a well known pianist (Feldman?) play it this way (well, at least the first part moving the right hand up an octave). I like the way it changes the feel for the second time around. I know Sam just played this piece beautifully a few recitals back so I hope everyone is not Aria'd out smile.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:pianist685 (Constantin)
Experience:12 years of classical piano lessons from age 6 to 18, 35+ years of playing without a teacher since
Home page link:https://imslp.org/wiki/User:C._Stephan
Title of piece:Waltz A minor B.150
Duration:02:54
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Sauter upright with PianoDisc silencer
Recording method:Silent system from MIDI-out to notebook with Galaxy Vintage D, directly recorded from Kontakt Player with Savihost plugin
Additional info:Lately, I had some fun watching Tiffany Poon's vlogs. Some were quite interesting, not only because I could see a bit of New York and recognized places I went when I was there, but mostly because I could see her make the same mistakes as I when she was practising new pieces for the first time. I had already come across her fantastic rendition of the posthumous A minor waltz by Chopin. In fact, it seems she is the first pianist who dares to play this piece that slowly, all the other performances I know are much faster. Such a slow tempo brings out the melancholy and romantic character much better, and she inspired me, so to say, to make a recording of my own to show how I perceive this waltz. Keep striving.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Barbaram
Experience:10ish
Title of piece:Milonga del Angel
Composer:Astor Piazzolla
Duration:03:09
Source of music:Sheet music found free on the internet
Instrument used:Kawai CS8 Digital
Recording method:Audacity digital to laptop
Additional info:I first came across this piece in the recitals here a few years back and fell in love with it. I started learning it a couple of years ago, but couldn't get to grips with the chord section in the middle.
I started with a new teacher 2 years ago and we started on a remedial program together, working on easier pieces to focus on technique gaps etc, so I laid this piece aside.
This spring, when my lessons stopped, I picked it back up and started working on it again. I've listened to a lot of different versions to help me figure out how I wanted it to sound, and the recital archive has been a really valuable resource as it's been performed a number of times here. Special shout out to PianogrlNW whose version I have listened to countless times! But be assured if you have performed this in an ABF recital, I have listened to your performance, enjoyed it and learned something from it.
I've had no real teacher input - when my classes were ongoing, our focus was elsewhere, and in any case he is quite traditional in his musical preferences and an arrangement of music from a non-classical tradition not originally for piano is really not his bag. However he did give me one extremely important and valuable piece of advice, which was to go and listen to Piazzolla's own performance of the piece on bandoneon with ensemble. Needless to say I can't recreate that sound, but it gave me a much better sense of what I wanted to aim for.

I've deviated from the sheet music version I have a little, adding some ornaments, simplifying the middle chord section a little and making some changes when my ears told me that what I heard in other people's performances was different than (and preferable to) what was printed in my music.
I still struggle with that chords section and it's not as balanced or controlled as I would like, but overall I'm very happy with where I have got to with this piece.

I hope you enjoy it

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Serge88
Experience:On and off for the lat 20 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/drgWsG-ghcU
Title of piece:Your Song
Composer:Elton John
Duration:04:06
Source of music:A mix of advanced sheet music and beginner sheet music.
Instrument used:Roland FP7
Recording method:Roland FP7 to iMac to Pianoteq and Canon and Panasonic camcorders.
Additional info:I learned a simple version of "Your song" many years ago and this time I learned an advanced version but I kept a few ideas from the beginner version.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Tim Adrianson
Experience:65+ years
Title of piece:Morning on the Milkweed
Composer:Jeanne Cotter
Duration:02:48
Source of music:Sheet Music -- GIA Publications
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' baby grand
Recording method:TASCAM 40 320 Mb
Additional info:My last submission was (I thought) a gruesomely sad piece -- this time I'm providing what I consider to be an unabashedly happy one. Jeanne Cotter provided a fair number of both arrangements and original compositions within the Christian music sphere (Catholic, to be more specific) in the 80s and 90s. She has not written much since then, choosing to devote her time to other activities, but I always thought she had an interesting, unique sound. Enjoy!

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:vte
Experience:9 months
Title of piece:Andante from Sonatina Op 55 No 4
Composer:Friedrich Kuhlau
Duration:01:34
Instrument used:Casio PX 870
Recording method:Ipad
Additional info:Hi everyone! I found out about this wonderful forum just a few days ago and it is my first time submitting to this online recital. I got my new digital piano a week ago and I am still getting used to it (I had been using a semi weighted keyboard up until then). Thank you for organizing the recital and I look forward to hearing everyones pieces and would love to hear what you think of mine. Best wishes.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ted Jones
Experience:About 67
Title of piece:Burst loveletter number nine
Composer:Ted Jones
Duration:09:35
Source of music:Free improvisation
Instrument used:Weinbach 5' 10"
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:Haven't had lunch yet. Conclusion of yesterday's recording. Risked posting a slightly longer section this time because I liked the hairy bit near the beginning. Just give it the kiss of death of you don't like it, I'm just a brazen romantic enjoying myself.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Rich D.
Experience:Began as an adult. Been playing for many years.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-u1jZdFwI4
Title of piece:Argentinian Dance No. 2
Composer:Alberto Ginastera
Duration:03:10
Instrument used:Grotrian grand piano
Recording method:Zoom Q8, Avenson Sto-2 mics.
Additional info:Really enjoyed learning this piece. Starts out a bit slowly, with a bit of mysterous. Secom part beomes more intense before returning to the original tempo.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:AndresVel (Andres)
Experience:5 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/Kl8OB4bWV04
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC23asvSAcKOZc5obWptp0tw
Title of piece:Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh. 115)
Composer:Christian Petzold
Duration:02:00
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CA49
Recording method:From DP to laptop using Scarlett 2i2 and Ableton Live 10 Lite
Additional info:Hi everyone. This is my very first submission to a recital. I decided to start learning piano back in June during quarantine, and it might be one of the best decisions I have ever made. I started taking lessons from the very beginning and this is the first piece my teacher gave me to work on in parallel to my methods book. I also started to dive in into the fascinating world of classical music and was happily surprised by baroque music, from which I knew nothing prior to getting my piano. When my teacher suggested this piece, I was then very excited to learn it. In the past month we have only worked sporadically on this minuet, mainly in terms of interpretation, given that we already started working on a second piece. It was a bit hard to record (I kept messing up once the red button was on) but I hope you enjoy it. I have lots of fun playing it. All comments are more than welcome.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Mosotti
Experience:3 years, 1 month
Video link:https://youtu.be/qqH_IseA314
Title of piece:Arietta
Composer:Grieg
Duration:01:28
Instrument used:Kawai MP11SE with Garritan CFX
Recording method:Garritan CFX application
Additional info:Last recital someone asked if the kid ever gets tired. This is the answer smile

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:AlexKi
Experience:1 year, 8 months
Title of piece:Of Foreign Lands and Peoples
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:01:58
Instrument used:Kawai CA-98
Recording method:Recorded directly to USB drive with a digital piano
Additional info:Constructive criticism is appreciated.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:dumka1
Experience:8 years as a child, off and on as an adult, resumed regular lessons 5 years ago.
Title of piece:Mazurka op. 6 no. 2
Duration:02:19
Source of music:Memorized from sheet music.
Instrument used:A grand piano in a church (don't remember the make)
Recording method:Recorded as a video on the smart phone, converted to a mp3 file online
Additional info:In the spirit of this jubilee recital, I am submitting a piece I was planning to submit to my first ABF recital (May 2017). I hadn't realized at the time only one piece was allowed and prepared two smile. I went with the Mendelssohn at the time, but here's the Mazurka from 3 and a half years ago.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:Ganddalf
Experience:Quite a few
Title of piece:Siciliano Op.128 no.1
Composer:York Bowen
Duration:02:55
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:Lately I have "discovered" several excellent English composers, the last one being York Bowen. I don't think I ever heard any music of his played on radio or television or performed at any concert, so this discovery is thanks to the internet. I don't know if York Bowen's music is frequently played in UK, but he is sometimes called "the English Rachmaninoff". He was a 20th century composer and died in 1961.

I selected a piece with the title "Siciliano" with opus number 128 no.1. The piece was dedicated to Monica Watson for her 21th birthday. The musical style is modern, but is often called late romantic with a very rich tonality. I have to admit that I struggeled a lot with the chords and transitions to begin with, but after some time it somehow fell into place. I like the composition very much and therefore I decided to share it here.

A
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Performer's name:rwsavory
Experience:Many, off and on
Title of piece:Aria
Composer:Scarlatti
Duration:01:47
Instrument used:Roland FP90 - Mellow Piano
Recording method:Direct
Additional info:This is a simple piece but very satisfying to play and, I hope, listen to.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pedal Authenticity
by peterws - 04/10/21 06:20 PM
Monitors or keyboard amp for Stage 3
by Sebs - 04/10/21 05:22 PM
III and V of D minor
by Sebs - 04/10/21 05:16 PM
Musician's Friend
by Mac2010 - 04/10/21 04:42 PM
Song Request
by Mac2010 - 04/10/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,207
Posts3,080,868
Members101,147
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission