2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Ok - I've narrowed my DP choice down to the Yamaha YDP-164 or Casio AP-470.

Unfortunately I can't go to the shop to test these due to Covid.

The YDP-164 seems that it has the better sound, look and feel. But I like the features of the AP-470 and the recording functionality.

Both are at a similar price point ca.€1000.

Any ideas?

R
R
The Yamaha also has recording functionality, you can definitely record your playing and play it back. I have one and it's very nice, I can't compare with other choices though. FWIW, I'm very happy with mine for a beginner level, and within what I was willing to pay. Note, however, that except for the metronome I am not using any of the features, so maybe others can chime in on those.

Enjoying the journey and the delicious music.
U1
A
A
I own a casio px870 - (almost identical to the AP470 - other than rhe cabinet and some details and can confirm that it does indeed record.

That said, the Arius 164 is a bit more upmarket than the ap470 so it sounds like a good deal (dont know your location and the price offer.

This video might help - however ultimately it will be a matter of preference, I think.

https://youtu.be/lAd6Bf_1VLQ

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Casio PX-870
Former owner of Petrof 131
PianoWorld Member/Lurker since 1999
C
C
Originally Posted by rocdoc
The Yamaha also has recording functionality, you can definitely record your playing and play it back. I have one and it's very nice, I can't compare with other choices though. FWIW, I'm very happy with mine for a beginner level, and within what I was willing to pay. Note, however, that except for the metronome I am not using any of the features, so maybe others can chime in on those.

You wrote in another thread that with every day of improvement you find your self looking at a Clavinova.

What are you missing from your YDP-164? What do you think the Clavinovas have, that make them suited better for advanced players than the YDP-164?

E
E
Originally Posted by Cactus7

You wrote in another thread that with every day of improvement you find your self looking at a Clavinova.

What are you missing from your YDP-164? What do you think the Clavinovas have, that make them suited better for advanced players than the YDP-164?

Hi, we are in the same situation. We have ydp - older model but really they are all similar. I got the ydp for my then very young child to see what a full length keyboard piano looks like basically smile Once you become even very slightly more advanced you see the limitations - for once you cannot do any kind of finer dynamics on this instrument. There are no nuances to the sound... You cannot use the pedal in any meaningful way. I am not a piano snob by any means, but this is not suitable if you want to play with expression and practice regularly say for more than a year or two.
I hope it helps!

R
R

For the price and what I need it at the moment, I don't really NEED anything beyond what the YDP offers. I was pretty close to a "never ever" beginner when I started, and it didn't seem justifiable to spend too much, as long as I ensured that the piano had enough mimicry of the real thing to avoid learning any bad habits. But that said: playing my cousin's Clavinova, even at my noob level, the action feels subtly different, paradoxically it's easier for my playing to sound good and nuanced, if that makes sense. Also, the sound is richer through the speakers. But it's more an issue of likely discovering these subtle differences as I progress. I still wouldn't pay more than twice what I did, but maybe in a few years, especially if my little one does turn out to want to play, I may upgrade.
There is another funny factor. There is a funny old adage with a lot of truth to it: "what's cheap is expensive and what's expensive is cheap". The dealer my cousin bought his Clavinova from has a program where you turn it in for quite close to the price you paid, no matter how many years later, to upgrade. It's because they really keep value very well, apparently. Not so with the YDPs from what I heard. So long term, you may end up better off financially with the upper grade units.
Probably longer answer than you were looking for, but them there's my thoughts...

U1
C
C
Thank you Eggplanted and rocdoc for your opinions.

Rocdoc, which Clavinova model does your cousin have?

R
R
Thank you Eggplanted and rocdoc for your opinions.

Rocdoc, which Clavinova model does your cousin have?

I believe it's the 745.

U1
L
L
Careful with a Casio AP 470. Got one to replace my Kawai ES110 and it was a huge mistake. Could barely return it, it was hard to unpack, hard to pack up send back.

What was wrong with it? The sound, it was awful. Really didn't expect it considering the price bracket. Classical music sounds like pop on it. To much bass, too much string resonance, mids are weird. ES110 sound is stellar in comparison. Shame, since the action was really good.
Always listen to it before buying, playing reference pieces not that random jazz from Youtube videos.

Last edited by Leonhart; 03/11/21 03:44 PM.
I can definitely recommend the Yamaha YDP-164. I own one myself. As Rocdoc already mentioned, it does have a recording functionality. The recording function works fine. The building quality, looks and feel are great for this price. I'm a beginner and it's my first piano though. I cannot compare it with much else then the acoustic piano of my teacher (which I must admit is a big difference). There aren't any functionalities I'm missing. If I would go for an upgrade, it would probably be an acoustic.

M
M
Originally Posted by Leonhart
Careful with a Casio AP 470. Got one to replace my Kawai ES110 and it was a huge mistake. Could barely return it, it was hard to unpack, hard to pack up send back.

What was wrong with it? The sound, it was awful. Really didn't expect it considering the price bracket. Classical music sounds like pop on it. To much bass, too much string resonance, mids are weird. ES110 sound is stellar in comparison. Shame, since the action was really good.
Always listen to it before buying, playing reference pieces not that random jazz from Youtube videos.

Is the sound really that bad? I have read many posts that praise the AP 470 sound. I also have ES110 and planning to upgrade to AP 470 soon. The price is so affordable here in my country as compared to equivalent yamaha 164

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I don't think it is a disaster and for its price it is competitive I think. The amplifier and speaker system is well matched, the piano sound engine is definitely weaker than the Kawai equivalents. If you are nearly always going to use headphones then the Kawai models in a similar price bracket are definitely superior, but they really do lack when it comes to sound that can fill a room. So if you have a budget, I think what works better for you is what your needs are.

I have a quite old now playlist from when I had the AP-470, I upgraded from it after about 8 months to the MP11SE and then to the MP11SE with VSTs because I kept not being satisfied with the sound.

Casio AP-470 playlist

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Casio's Celviano models have two (AP-710 has three!) different piano sounds (and minor variations of those). There's the "Hamburg Grand" which is the only one in the Privia range and then an "American Grand", so supposedly a New York Steinway.

The Hamburg Grand is demoed more often and that's also the one used in Kevin's performances.

You can compare those two e.g. here:

Maybe you like at least either one(?) Maybe not(?) And like said, there are "mellow" and "bright" variants of each.

And of course that's an AP-270 on the video, so it might lack some of the sound features of the AP-470.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Various AP-470 presets:

American Grand played at the beginning:

M
M
Thanks KevinM and clothearerednincompo for more info about Casio AP 470!

C
C
Originally Posted by Leonhart

I play only through a VST (Garritan) and external HPs. Would it be a wise to uptrade from ES110 to AP 470 for the action alone?

M
M
One other point to consider is build quality. It may or may not matter to you but Casio uses quite a bit of particle board. I am seriously considering an Ap-470, but if you read the reviews on several major online music stores, several reviewers were disappointed with the build. Also, the keys loosen over time and get louder.

On the plus side, I believe the action on the Ap-470 (feel-wise) is the best in that price range and that is the only reason I’m still considering it. I tried a Yamaha YDP-165 about three weeks ago, and it has a better build. It was just shorter. (At least it felt shorter). I can’t comment on the action of the YDP-164 (I am not sure if they upgraded the action or not) but from what I have read it is not as good and not as close to an acoustic piano. The YDP-165 action felt, fine but not as good as the AP-470.

It seems that you just have to decide what matters to you. All digital pianos at this price range have shortcomings, in my opinion.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Christopher90
Would it be a wise to uptrade from ES110 to AP 470 for the action alone?

I don't see why the action would be an upgrade. Both have plastic keys and both are quite compact.

The AP-470 does have a triple sensor action, but that only affects some very specific use cases.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission