2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jethro
Well, I don't know. I've played old completely rebuild grand pianos and they have a characteristic sound that to me is not as full as modern grand. Like I said the sound is maybe a little lighter, less full. Maybe it's a design factor like lighter hammers used in older designs for example, but the older designs don't sound like modern pianos to me. Here's an example of a vintage piano. I think the SX shares more in common tonally with this rebuilt 100 year old Chickering than it does with the modern Yamaha CF-6. The tones of all 3 pianos are beautiful just different.
If a piano is rebuilt it may not have the lighter hammers you mentioned. In fact, my impression is that is done only/mostly when someone asks for an historically accurate rebuild. Because of this and every other decision made in its rebuilding, whatever sound characteristics you hear in the Chickering may not have much to do with how the piano originally sounded.

Originally Posted by Withindale
Older Sound
A few examples of knowable "vintage" sound have come up on the forum recently. One was the 1880s Chickering at La Grua discovered in original condition after more a century in a New England attic.
If that piano is 120 years old, I don't think it would sound the same as when it was originally built. I think the only way a piano might sound the way it did when originally built is if there was a 100% historically accurate and complete rebuild.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Well, I don't know. I've played old completely rebuild grand pianos and they have a characteristic sound that to me is not as full as modern grand. Like I said the sound is maybe a little lighter, less full. Maybe it's a design factor like lighter hammers used in older designs for example, but the older designs don't sound like modern pianos to me. Here's an example of a vintage piano. I think the SX shares more in common tonally with this rebuilt 100 year old Chickering than it does with the modern Yamaha CF-6. The tones of all 3 pianos are beautiful just different.
If a piano is rebuilt it may not have the lighter hammers you mentioned. In fact, my impression is that is done only/mostly when someone asks for an historically accurate rebuild. Because of this and every other decision made in its rebuilding, whatever sound characteristics you hear in the Chickering may not have much to do with how the piano originally sounded.
I think you are missing the point. It precisely because these pianos are vintage ie. old and with aged wood is what gives them their warm unique tones. How they sounded when they were new was not what Yamaha was after. They were after what drew certain pianists to warm tones of aged vintage pianos. That was the entire premise behind the ARES process- to accelerate the aging process of the woods to get that unique sound.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Older Sound
A few examples of knowable "vintage" sound have come up on the forum recently. One was the 1880s Chickering at La Grua discovered in original condition after more a century in a New England attic.
If that piano is 120 years old, I don't think it would sound the same as when it was originally built. I think the only way a piano might sound the way it did when originally built is if there was a 100% historically accurate and complete rebuild.
That Chickering did not need to be rebuilt, it had scarcely been played in and said to be still in tune. It has only just received its final voicing.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Older Sound
That Chickering did not need to be rebuilt, it had scarcely been played in and said to be still in tune. It has only just received its final voicing.
I think a piano changes tone a lot just by sitting around for 120 years no matter how little is was played.

I think you are missing the point. It precisely because these pianos are vintage ie. old and with aged wood is what gives them their warm unique tones. How they sounded when they were new was not what Yamaha was after. They were after what drew certain pianists to warm tones of aged vintage pianos. That was the entire premise behind the ARES process- to accelerate the aging process of the woods to get that unique sound.
What you say is possible, but I have major doubts that the age of the wood in the case affects the tone. Before this Yamaha experiment I never heard any of the major rebuilders claim their pianos had a beautiful tone due to the age of the wood in the case. They did sometimes claim (non rebuilders usually don't agree) that the older plates found in Steinway rebuilds were one reason why their rebuilt Steinways sounded so special. Having played many rebuilt Steinways I have not noticed anything typical about their tone vs. new Steinways, If the ARES process is applied to the soundboard I can see how it might affect the tone.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/10/21 04:58 AM.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
I have major doubts that the age of the wood in the case affects the tone.

Yamaha have changed the properties of the wood not its age. The question here is whether the properties of the wood in the rim affect tone.

[Linked Image]

Yamaha’s Wood Reforming Technology for Acoustic Guitars Acoustic Resonance Enhancement (A.R.E.) is a technology which Yamaha developed to alter the resonant qualities of wood. The technology was derived from the Company’s basic materials research conducted on the properties of wood, a basic component in a wide range of musical instruments. By carefully controlling the temperature, humidity and pressure, which affect the micro-structure of wood, the molecular properties of the wood can actually be manipulated to match the ideal acoustic conditions of the wood in an instrument that has been played for decades. The process uses no harmful chemicals, and is therefore environmentally friendly. Guitars which are made using this technology have superior resonance and vibration characteristics, sustaining tones in the low- and mid-ranges while delivering
increased high-range response and shorter delay after the attack. This gives the guitars clearer notes with no discordant harmonic overtones and a warm, “vintage” sound quality.

Ref: https://www.yamaha.com/en/ir/publications/pdf/an-2008e.pdf

Last edited by Withindale; 04/10/21 05:46 AM.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm

Yamaha have changed the properties of the wood not its age. The question here is whether the properties of the wood in the rim affect tone.
When I said age of the wood I meant the effective age of the wood due to ARE.

The article you quoted talked about guitars. If I'm not mistaken, the guitar case acts like the soundboard of a piano so the guitar to piano case analogy may not be valid. They'd have to test two pianos where everything was the same except the case wood to see if ARE changed the tone. Since the CS series has the CF soundboard but different hammers they couldn't compare those two. Nor can they compare CS to CX since more than the case wood is different.

I'm certainly not saying Yamaha isn't correct about their claims about the effect of ARE wood in the CS series rims. I'm only saying based on what I've read so far on this thread it doesn't seem clear to me.

If Yamaha is correct about the effect of aged wood in the case, it seems surprising that piano rebuilders haven't been mentioning this for years.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
They'd have to test two pianos where everything was the same except the case wood to see if ARE changed the tone.

In the video (1:50 onwards) the Yamaha engineers say they made 50 rim prototypes. They say well-dried wood has similar resonances to the wood in the older instruments. It would not surprise me if they turn their attention to the soundboard next.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

When I said age of the wood I meant the effective age of the wood due to ARE.

The article you quoted talked about guitars. If I'm not mistaken, the guitar case acts like the soundboard of a piano so the guitar to piano case analogy may not be valid. They'd have to test two pianos where everything was the same except the case wood to see if ARE changed the tone. Since the CS series has the CF soundboard but different hammers they couldn't compare those two. Nor can they compare CS to CX since more than the case wood is different.

I'm certainly not saying Yamaha isn't correct about their claims about the effect of ARE wood in the CS series rims. I'm only saying based on what I've read so far on this thread it doesn't seem clear to me.

If Yamaha is correct about the effect of aged wood in the case, it seems surprising that piano rebuilders haven't been mentioning this for years.

Yamaha has 5 different levels of piano goodness in their inventory at 5 different price points. The only way to really measure improvement would be to test an S3x to an S4BB, up the S and SX line. Some improvement must be evident or why would they bother to incorporate it into the making of a beautiful piano as the S series? It’s also a sales talking point with graphs and pretty pictures. I hate to admit this, but I’m an easy target if you show me pretty pictures with graphs. If a sharp salesperson tells me long enough, I will hear considerable improvement in sound on the SX series. How much improvement Pianoloverus or gwing hears is unknown. It just adds to the debate about what’s the best piano. My question would be if ARE improved the guitars soundboard, why not use that process on the soundboard instead of the rim?

Last edited by j&j; 04/10/21 10:27 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Or both. The quitar makers who are using torrefied lumber are primarily using it for the soundboard. These are made from spruce of many varieties, but it is the same wood that is used in piano soundboards. So it would seem that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by j&j
My question would be if ARE improved the guitars soundboard, why not use that process on the soundboard instead of the rim?

To hazard a guess, the brief was to use the standard CX platform for a premium model, like car manufacturers modifying body panels. That leaves the rim and the hammers.

Soundboards next?

Yamaha are aiming to attract professionals. Do you think they will succeed?

Last edited by Withindale; 04/10/21 12:12 PM.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
H
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
ARE is just marketing BS. It’s a new process introduced to cut cost for soundboard drying. There is no correlation between ARE and vintage pianos.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
Originally Posted by Harpuia
ARE is just marketing BS. It’s a new process introduced to cut cost for soundboard drying. There is no correlation between ARE and vintage pianos.
What do you base this statement on?

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
I am very curious how the viewing went. I hope well.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I think this is why I think it would be wise for Yamaha to market the SX series pianos as a premium piano targeted toward's a niche of pianists who are looking for that "vintage" sound. If they were to market it just as a premium piano but difficult to significantly differentiate from the CX line of pianos I think it would be a hard sell especially when you can find other premium pianos from Shigeru or Estonia for example that nearly completely hand-built on separate production lines but without the premium price tag comparatively speaking.
I don't think there's such a thing as a vintage sound. The sound of older pianos differs by make and isn't even clearly knowable because the older brands have either been rebuilt or in such poor condition they don't sound like they did at the beginning of their life.

No piano is nearly completely hand built. Many steps in piano making are, in fact, better done by computer assisted machines. Some better pianos do have more time spent on the parts that are better done by hand compared to lesser pianos.

Having owned vintage pianos and having played many modern pianos, I can say that there definitely is a vintage style of tone and there definitely is a modern style of tone. That does not mean that every vintage piano sounds the same or every modern piano sounds the same.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission