2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (brdwyguy, CharlesXX, Bill McKaig,RPT, anotherscott, bilb, Alfred La Fleur, clothearednincompo, Chris Pringle, Animisha, 13 invisible), 632 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Here's a video demonstration of how to upload pictures to PW, and then use them in your posts.

Rationale (and why there's no sound):

A few days back I posted some pictures, and I recorded it because I also was also about to attend a training seminar about preparing content for people with accessibility needs (I've had a blind student in the past; this session was for the hearing impaired). We each had to prepare something visual, and this was mine. Part of the process was learning by getting critical feedback (and also from the participants' submissions too).

So, I tried to demonstrate each step conspicuously, w/o explaining it verbally.

Anyway, I thought about posting it then, and decided not to, but I keep seeing comments from people who struggle with posting pic's, so--for better or worse--I decided to go ahead and share it here.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

K
K
Very helpful, Retsacnal!!!

Thank you. I had the gallery figured out. Got one picture in a thread then no success subsequent to that attempt. I'm going to try again now. Thanks for your efforts!

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
Retsacnal - Helpful, Thanx.

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Keep in mind that if you post a lot of pictures, you will eventually run out of space and have to either delete some pictures, or start a different gallery. I wasn’t aware of this until I ran out of space, LOL. 😂😂😂

Nice job on the video, I’m sure it’s going to help a whole lot of people! 😊👍

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I upload to imgur (have to do on computer and not phone) and after they're all uploaded for each one it says "copy link". But I can't just use the link in the img tags, have to add a .jpg suffix.

I think the first time I tried to post photos here I tried the official method and it was too much of a pain! I had everything hosted on Flickr at the time so just posted the pics from there.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by twocats
I upload to imgur (have to do on computer and not phone) and after they're all uploaded for each one it says "copy link". But I can't just use the link in the img tags, have to add a .jpg suffix.

I think the first time I tried to post photos here I tried the official method and it was too much of a pain! I had everything hosted on Flickr at the time so just posted the pics from there.

Same here. Like Ret said, I've had difficulty with the official PW photo hosting page. Sometimes it seems to work and sometimes not.

Great training video, Retsacnal! You're a good tech teacher! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster

Same here. Like Ret said, I've had difficulty with the official PW photo hosting page. Sometimes it seems to work and sometimes not.

Great training video, Retsacnal! You're a good tech teacher! smile

Rick

It’s VERY nit picky, LOL.

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone! I was a little reluctant to post it. blush

How to Upload Pictures

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Couple more tips, based on comments...

It does seem nit-picky, but helps to know the rules! wink

You need to provide the full URL (link) to the image file itself (not the page it's on).
  • The link will start with "http://" (or https://).
  • The link should end with the image's file extension (e.g. .png or .jpg or .gif, etc (not "html" or other junk)).

Put the link between the image tags as shown below (or paste it into the image button's prompt).

Examples (1st correct, others incorrect):

Code
Example 1 (correct):

[img]http://forums.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/medium/14826.png[/img]

Example 2 (missing "http://"):

[img]forums.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/medium/14826.png[/img]

Example 3 (missing file extension: .png):

[img]http://forums.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/medium/14826[/img]

Example 4 (extra cruft after file link: ?size=50%):

[img]http://forums.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/medium/14826.png?size=50%[/img]

Example 5 (link to the page the file is on, rather than the actual file):

[img]http://forums.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3105467/guitar-center-photos.html#lg=3105467&slide=0[/img]

Examples rendered:

Example 1 (correct):
[Linked Image]

Example 2 (missing "http://"):
[Linked Image]

Example 3 (missing file extension: .png):
[img]http://forums.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/medium/14826[/img]

Example 4 (extra cruft after file link: ?size=50%):
[img]http://forums.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/medium/14826.png?size=50%[/img]

Example 5 (link to the page the file is on, rather than the actual file):
[img]http://forums.pianoworld.com/ubbthr...enter-photos.html#lg=3105467&slide=0[/img]

Couple more things:

I think one reason people get frustrated is because you can do all of the above correctly, and the site that's hosting the picture still may not serve it up when requested. They want you viewing content on their site, not to use their resources to serve it up elsewhere (e.g. here). A lot of the heavy duty image services prevent it. I don't know which off the top of my head, but, for example, I'm pretty sure that Pinterest will not serve up an image this way. Anyway, just one more reason to upload it here if you want it to display here. But, of course, you can link to pictures hosted elsewhere if that service will respond to the file request. Anyway, probably TMI, but that's one reason why I think people get frustrated. Also, many services embellish the link with all sorts of cruft, specifically to obfuscate it and make it difficult to use elsewhere.

How to Upload Pictures

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Excellent, Retsacnal - thank you!

Frank always used to make the point that if you link pics from elsewhere, in a few years those pictures may disappear, or the links cease to work. It is certainly noticeable that if one looks at an old thread, the pictures have often disappeared. Frank wanted the pictures to remain in threads to make PW a more useful archive. For this reason I have always used the PW hosting facility in preference to hosting pictures elsewhere.

Having said that, I am slightly alarmed to read Ebonyk's warning about a limit on space. That would seem to defeat the objective of keeping the illustrations in old threads.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

Unfortunately some of us do most of our PW reading on work owned devices that disallow access to Flickr and similar services, so the images are more accessible if hosted in galleries here. I imagine they persist longer as well although they presumably add to Frank's hosting costs due to the storage requirement.

Sorry for the duplicated comment on persistence. I should have read through to the end of the thread before replying I guess.

Last edited by gwing; 04/29/21 04:18 AM.
What I've also not been able to figure out is how to cite a section of a post that I want to reply to. You know, the snippet of a previous post that's pertinent to your own comment and that appears as a brown box with text inside. How do you do that?

1978 Chickering & Sons
“Patrician,” 5’ 8.5” (178 cm)
Aeolian American
East Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by cfhosford
What I've also not been able to figure out is how to cite a section of a post that I want to reply to. You know, the snippet of a previous post that's pertinent to your own comment and that appears as a brown box with text inside. How do you do that?

This eluded me too, for a while, until another member, the late Monica Kern, told me how to do it. If you want to quote the entire post of another poster, at the bottom right of their post, click on the box that says "Quote" and a post page will appear with the brown quote box already there.

If you only want to post a "snippet" or part of a quote from another member, copy the content of the quote you want to use. Next, at the bottom of the page, click on "Use Full Editor". Next, click on the quote marks icon ("), 3rd icon at the top of page, R to L. This is what you will see in the post page "{quote][/quote]"; *Note* I changed the first bracket so a brown box would not appear here. Align your cursor in the center of the quote boxes and paste the copy of the quote you wish to discuss.

An alternative to a partial quote would be to use the full Quote feature, and delete the text in the quote you want to leave out.

If you want to add the name of the original poster in the quote, add an = and the persons name at the end of the first quote box, inside the box, like this {quote=Rickster][/quote] (again, I changed the first bracket so a brown box would not appear.

Also, you will not see the brown quote boxes in your post unless you click on "Preview Reply" at the bottom of the post age; or, just click "Post Reply".

Hope this helps!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]
An alternative to a partial quote would be to use the full Quote feature, and delete the text in the quote you want to leave out.

[...]

That's the method I use; it's quick and easy to do. That method works, too, if you want to quote different sections of a post and not the quote(s) in between. Quote the entire post and just delete those sections that aren't pertinent to your reply.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

This is what I do (and just did). I do a lot of text removing when I quote posts 😂

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

This is what I do. (And what I am doing here!) Very straightforward.

Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]

[...]

That's the method I use; it's quick and easy to do. That method works, too, if you want to quote different sections of a post and not the quote(s) in between. Quote the entire post and just delete those sections that aren't pertinent to your reply.

Regards,

This is what I do (and just did). I do a lot of text removing when I quote posts 😂
Originally Posted by David-G

This is what I do. (And what I am doing here!) Very straightforward.

Dang, I sure am getting quoted a lot here in this thread! :-)

Guess I finally said something that made sense? smile

Rick

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Frank always used to make the point that if you link pics from elsewhere, in a few years those pictures may disappear, or the links cease to work. It is certainly noticeable that if one looks at an old thread, the pictures have often disappeared. Frank wanted the pictures to remain in threads to make PW a more useful archive. For this reason I have always used the PW hosting facility in preference to hosting pictures elsewhere.

Yes, that even happened to some of my older posts, so I started using the picture facility here. (well, if I'm linking in something silly, like a popcorn munching emoji, or a funny picture, I'll link directly, but for anything I'd like to persist, I upload it here).

Having said that, I am slightly alarmed to read Ebonyk's warning about a limit on space. That would seem to defeat the objective of keeping the illustrations in old threads.

I could be wrong, but I think the limit is just the number of files, which is 100, so fairly high. But I think there's also a per file size limit (2 mb?).

How to Upload Pictures

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member

Me too! And if there are multiple "chunks" in a post that I want to comment on, I'll carve out the undesired parts, then make duplicate copies of the remaining quote, and carve the redundant bits out of each.

Sometimes I feel more like I'm coding than typing! crazy
But BBCode is pretty simple.

How to Upload Pictures

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Player pianos
by Selencious - 09/20/21 06:52 AM
What's this bit do?
by chopin_r_us - 09/20/21 03:14 AM
Ivers and Pond Full Upright vs Steinway K52
by Pianolance - 09/19/21 11:25 PM
could you judge my playing please.
by daoc2009 - 09/19/21 09:31 PM
Which great contemporary composers are great pianists?
by pianoloverus - 09/19/21 08:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,199
Posts3,133,681
Members102,774
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission