2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Two days ago Stu Harrison of Merriam Music in Toronto posted the following video on YouTube:

Stu was comparing the Kawai ES110 digital piano to the new Roland FP-30x. (Merriam Music sells both Kawai and Roland digital pianos, so there should be no bias toward either piano on Stu's part.) He had an overall preference for the Roland FP-30x, WITH ONE EXCEPTION. He said that if a pianist's repertoire was primarily classical, he would recommend the Kawai ES110 for that pianist.

Stu did not explain in the video why he would recommend the ES110 for classical music. I posted that question in the comment section of the video, but Stu has yet to respond. He may never respond at all, who knows?

Do you guys have any idea what he meant by that comment? Comments from classical pianists who have played both the ES110 and the new FP-30x would be especially welcome.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I believe that comment is primarily in reference to the keyboard action.

FP-90x, PX-330
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I play classical music quite nicely on my FP30, but I agree with the review, the ES110 action and piano samples seem better suited to classical music. When I was choosing, those were my two top choices, but when I tried both, I knew right away that the FP-30 suited me best - and I play a lot of classical music. But I'd be happy with the ES110, it's a very nice keyboard. As always, try both in-person to make your decision.

The FP30 action is slower while the ES100 action is faster and more responsive.
The FP30 keys feel solid and the faux ivory/ebony material is nicer; in contrast the ES110 keys feel more like plastic.
The FP30 sounds seem immediately more suited to rock/jazz/pop - though they do just fine with classical.
The ES110 sounds immediately remind me of classical, though they do just fine with rock/pop/jazz.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The ES110 has a light action; the lightest in the shop where I tried them out. Very pleasant to play. That is why I have one on order.
The FP30 wouldn't be a million miles from my FP50; might be identical apart from connectivity. The action on that was identical to that on the FP30 (different name though) and it served me well.

Last edited by peterws; 08/11/21 03:56 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know if it's just a feeling, or just the way Stu plays, but to me, from that video, the main piano sound of the Roland FP30X sounds a little nicer than its predecessor.

I feel an higher quality of the samples on the Roland: a much cleaner and much better spatialized piano sound between left and right channel, and it looks it has good dynamics too. To my ears the FP30X sounds more 'stereo' than the ES110 and it has deeper basses and more crystal-clear high freqs. The ES110 uses some (now) very old piano samples, short, with a very few velocity layers and with no much detail, but thanks to the good work Kawai audio engineers made many MANY years ago, they sound decent and very dynamic, even today. It's just that they now sound a little dated...

I think the better value point of the ES110 is the nice, light and very sensitive keyboard action that, together with the responsive Kawai H.I. piano engine, makes it a joy to play. But as a listener, the FP30X sound quality is by far the clear winner.

From what I understand, Stu says, generally speaking he likes more the Roland PHA4 action (he says it's more 'substantial'...), but for classical music he thinks the ES110 action is more 'comfortable' to play. What this could mean? Probably that it's a little easier to get the dynamic you want, and in this area it behaves a little more like an acoustic. This could make more comfortable to play classical music, where you want to get more fine-control on the dynamics. Not that you could not do that on the FP30X too, but it's just that it could be slightly easier on the ES110 action.

Having said that, if I had to choose between these two "now" I would take the Roland. The sound quality is better, the action is very solid and the hardware is better (triple sensor, escapement emulation, newer technology, more sounds, more polyphony, USB recording, etc.). In Europe there is a difference in price of about €120 between the two. Not too much, considering what you get more from the FP30X.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission