2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the Beginner Pieces Themed Recital. Links to the recordings are in the posts following this one. Please refrain from commentary in this thread. Take any and all comments to the General Discussion Thread for this recital.

Thank you!

In addition to the recordings below, and the zip files linked below, we have an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Streaming Player

For the convenience of forum members, we also have a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

zip1.zip
zip2.zip
zip3.zip
zip4.zip
zip5.zip
zip6.zip
zip7.zip
zip8.zip
zip9.zip
zip10.zip
zip11.zip

And here is the index to past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Have fun listening, and remember, post your comments in the Discussion Thread.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Animisha
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://youtu.be/6NNhmbvOi8c
Title of piece:Floating down the river
Composer:Martha Mier & Dennis Alexander
Duration:01:05
Source of music:Alfred's Premier Piano Course Lesson Book 2
Instrument used:Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Recording method:Audio: digital to Macbook
Video: iPhone
Comment Policy:General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement
Additional info:This is one of my "short studies" that I do instead of sight reading. I make a recording of the ones that I like the best.

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Greta99
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-513119297
Title of piece:Obsession, Waltzing, Both Ways, Arabia, Frolic, Reflections, Lullaby, Little Stroll, Melody from "Happy Time" Book 1
Composer:Tansman, Alexandre
Duration:05:33
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CA-58
Recording method:Digital piano
Comment Policy:Critical Comments: Anything goes!
Additional info:Alexandre Tansman (1897 - 1986) was born in Poland, but spent most of his life in Paris. As composer he concentrated chiefly on the symphonic and chamber music, but also wrote a lot of pieces for beginners. The preface in my copy of "Happy time" calls him "one of the most important composers in the world". I think, it may be a slight exaggeration, but I found his pieces interesting.
Book 1 of "Happy time" is labelled as "primary", but the pieces vary greatly in difficulty, from preparatory (Waltzing, Obsession) to Grade 4 (Melody).

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Sonatas K 34, K 40 and K 431
Composer:Scarlatti, Domenico
Duration:02:24
Additional info:Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757) is mostly known for his 555 keyboard sonatas. Some of them slow and lyrical, some fast and dazzling. There are several of them that are approachable by a beginner. The most famous of them, and rightly so, is k 32. For this recital I selected another 3 short sonatas: k 34, k 40 and k 431. All of them are only one page long. I omitted the repeats to keep the recording short.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Dedicatoria, from "Cuentos de juventud", Op. 1 no. 1
Composer:Granados, Enrique
Duration:00:46
Additional info:"Dedicatoria" by Spanish composer Enrique Granados (1867 - 1916) is only one page long, technically undemanding and so beautiful! Give it a try.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:bSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:5 and 1/2 years now, actually 6 years in December!
Video link:https://youtu.be/0kKt9JgHXV4
Title of piece:Reflections
Composer:Dennis Alexander
Duration:01:10
Source of music:RCM 4 Repertoire Book
Instrument used:Yamaha C3X
Recording method:Cell Phone
Additional info:I think the timing of this Beginner themed recital was perfect! I stopped lessons back in May, life got busy quickly. I've been going back to easier pieces and practicing/playing in a more relaxed manner and really focusing on eliminating tension from my playing. I think once you eliminate tension from your playing, piano is easy smile Seriously, this time of reflection has given me a different outlook on practice.

I started to take notice of tension in my body throughout the day, with simple things like typing and writing with a pen. I found that I would grip the pen like it was the last pen on the planet. So I tried to write with less tension, as if my hand was dead and I needed to use my arm and body to move it. At first, the writing was sloppy, but over time you refine the movement to make it cleaner.

I also watched a YT video recently where Emma suggests to play with the idea of loose hands, similar to what I described above. The sound will be sloppy to start, but it gets cleaner over time as you practice using your body to produce the sounds, and eliminate any tension after each note played.

That's the best I can describe it and it's been the biggest game changer for me in my practice.

Happy practicing smile

PS - The other pieces submitted don't have much of a description. Below are all the pieces I submitted. These are pieces I've seen played at many children recitals smile

* Reflections (Dennis Alexander)
* When the Planets are Aligned (Nancy Telfer)
* Song of Twilight (Yoshinao Nakada)
* Clowns (Kabalevsky)
* A Pleasant Morning - Op. 63, No. 1 (Louis Streabbog)
* Sonatina C Major - Op 36, No 1, Mvmt 1 (Clementi)
* Sonatina G Major - Op 36, No 2, Mvmt 3 (Clementi)

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:KevinM
Experience:5
Video link:https://vimeo.com/559922539/68d47df324
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin/sets/my-progress
Title of piece:Romance from Eine Kleine Nacht Musik K525 2nd Movement, Piano transcription by Clem Virgo
Composer:Mozart
Duration:01:57
Source of music:Piano Mix 3 book. Great arrangements for Easy Piano published by ABRSM
Instrument used:MP11SE, using the Boesendorfer Imperial virtual piano from VSL
Recording method:Recorded directly from the virtual piano player application on my mac mini.
Comment Policy:General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement
Additional info:My Dad was a big Mozart fan and he died earlier this year. I could not attend the funeral, I am in the UK and it was not possible to enter Australia at the time. I wanted to contribute something to the funeral without doing an eulogy via video link. I was asked to choose the music for the funeral and knowing Dad's taste I kept it to Mozart. The funeral started with the Adagio from Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A Major and finished with Laudate Dominum from The Requiem.

In the middle of the funeral there was to be a video slide show. I put together the slide show and had less than 14 days to decide on an appropriate piece of music that I could learn from scratch in time to be played with the video slide show. The funeral required 3 minutes of music.

Once I learnt the piece I realized it was only 2 minutes long. Luckily I was able to copy the middle 1 minute and padded that on to the end. If you listen to the audio recording, it is just under 2 minutes while the linked video with slide show is 3 minutes.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://vimeo.com/613946105
Title of piece:In The Hall of the Mountain King from Peer Gynt, Suite No. 1, Op. 42, Piano transcription by Martin White
Composer:Grieg
Duration:01:53
Source of music:Piano Mix 3 book. Great arrangements for Easy Piano published by ABRSM
Instrument used:MP11SE, using the Boesendorfer VC280 virtual piano from VSL
Recording method:Recorded directly from the virtual piano player application on my mac mini.
Additional info:This was fun to learn. I lengthened it a bit by repeating the first 5 rows. I felt the building of the climax was missing a little.e

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/TT46DlBLh5U
Title of piece:To fly like an eagle
Composer:Anne Crosby Gaudet
Duration:00:36
Source of music:Celebration series - The piano Odyssey - Introductory
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150
Recording method:iphone
Additional info:One of the first pieces that I played once I had given up on the ludicrous idea of self-teaching. I do the best I can with the gestures but it is hard to relax my hands.
I still think that this is a lovely beginners' piece. Strong sounds, contrasts, playing across the whole keyboard and pedaling - but still quite possible for a beginner to learn.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:winterflower
Experience:Plenty.
Title of piece:A Morning Sunbeam
Composer:Florence Price
Duration:00:49
Source of music:https://imslp.org/wiki/A_Morning_Sunbeam_(Price%2C_Florence)
Instrument used:Pianoteq 7: Bechstein
(Since these are beginner pieces, I can demo Pianoteq instruments I don't own.
Also, I think I always used preset 'warm'.)
Additional info:After PianogrlNW's entry in the Female Composers recital, I decided to browse Florence Price's IMSLP page and thought that this would fit with the Beginner's themed recital.

Actually I think I should just listen to recordings of Florence Price's music, much of which isn't for the piano.

My favorite section was the middle.

Now one question is whether this piece somehow influenced my compositions below.

Or any other comments welcome.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Pool of the Unicorn
Composer:winterflower
Duration:00:24
Source of music:composition
see [url]
https://docdro.id/yFA3Ydy
[\url]
Instrument used:Pianoteq 7: Petrof Mistral
Additional info:Experiment with a key signature with some sharps, since some of these are thought to be more ergonomic than all ivory key signatures. So this is in E-major.

Perhaps if I wanted to take that all the way, I would sharp the A more often. As it is, I allowed myself a few accidentals. It seemed to work, though.

I actually liked this piece, maybe because of all the harmony chords I was adding.

Again, music URL here (not that it matters, but for the scores I typed up for this recital, I am authorizing any honest and decent use, including commercial or public use):

https://docdro.id/yFA3Ydy

old version:
https://docdro.id/JvDw25f

There is a G# minor inversion that was possibly a typo when I was typing up the score, but which is more interesting than repeating the E major chord all the time, so I kept it.
So there's an earlier version (difference: 1 note).

I like comments.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:it's a sad story
Composer:winterflower
Duration:00:35
Source of music:https://www.docdroid.net/AEbduI2/itsasadstory-pdf
Instrument used:Pianoteq 7: Pianoteq's K2
Additional info:plain a minor this time

Somehow, this is the sort of ditty-like thing that I get suspicious of as I am writing it.

Is the rhythm something I just turn to too much? Did I copy the melody from somewhere, or from some style?

But I like it while it lasts.

It's one of those pieces that sounds like dialogue, perhaps starting with a request or an anecdote.

sheet music at

https://www.docdroid.net/AEbduI2/itsasadstory-pdf

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Experience:Plenty
Title of piece:shoo fly
Composer:who knows
Duration:00:20
Source of music:https://docdro.id/NB8wSXt
Instrument used:Pianoteq 7 Steingraeber
Additional info:"Shoo Fly" seems to be in a lot of piano primers.

Here, I decided to add a few second chords, since the interference makes them buzz (as Bartok noticed;
but wait, Schubert and Chopin were using 2nds and 7ths before Bartok....)

Honestly, I probably picked this piece just to add the buzzes.

The hands could stay basically in one place, except I really think that the buzzes should be played with the wrist or arm really; I jumped between the buzzes when there were more than one.

I think this piece is better with dotted quarter notes as well, but wanted to be simple and so stuck to quarter, half, and dotted halves.

Also, what rhythm -should- I use on "bother"?

Sheet Music:
recorded version:

https://docdro.id/NB8wSXt

In order: 1. the version with dotted rhythms, 2. the version I recorded, 3. a version without dotted rhythms but with a weird (and more questioning) ending:

https://docdro.id/CbLDhqp

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peter071
Experience:Had lessons, started playing again last month.
Title of piece:Ashran's Magic Carpet (From Far Away Places)
Composer:Timothy Brown
Duration:01:42
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP 535
Recording method:Saved on USB stick, used online tool to convert WAV to MP3. By converting WAV to MP3 online it sounds a bit metallic unfortunately.
Additional info:From Far Away Places is a book of easy pieces with nice melodies.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peter071
Experience:Had lessons, started playing again a month ago
Title of piece:Fandago del Sol (From Far Away Places)
Composer:Timothy Brown
Duration:01:58
Source of music:Sheet music.
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP 535
Recording method:Direct on USB stick, used an online tool to convert the WAV file to MP3. By converting WAV to MP3 online it sounds a bit metallic unfortunately.
Additional info:From Far Away Places is a book of simple pieces with nice melodies. The Fandago is a Spanish dance in triple meter.The staccato notes at the beginning are played very short, but this is my best recording.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:drewpianoman
Experience:6 months of lessons, I formerly played Bass and cello about 30 years ago.
Home page link:http://www.drewstherapy.com
Title of piece:Gnossienne 1
Composer:Eric Satie
Duration:04:22
Source of music:Sheet music obtained online.
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-785
Recording method:Direct audio recording on line, converted to Mp3 with JRiver.
Additional info:I love Satie and really enjoyed learning this piece. I still can't play without making some mistake so there is one at the end. However, I liked the rest of enough to submit it.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/1__VYsm4fG8
Title of piece:Polyushko Polye (duet)
Composer:Lev Knipper
Source of music:Nikolaev: The Russian School of Piano Playing, book 1 part 2
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150 with Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Recording method:Audio: automatic recording through Pianoteq into laptop
Video: iphone
Additional info:When I first heard this piece, I thought it sounded horrific. Such strange sounds! It is in F minor, which is unusual for my ears. But it grew on me - so much that in the end it was one of my favourite pieces.
As you'll probably hear, this is a duet, with my teacher playing the secondo. But she is not on the video.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Experience:5.5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/tsd8xhwtOFk
Title of piece:When the Planets are Aligned
Composer:Nancy Telfer
Duration:00:51
Additional info:Submission #2 for ABF Beginner Recital. This is a fun piece to play.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ido
Experience:4.5 years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_0U7Wn9lRk
Title of piece:Op. 205 No. 12
Composer:Cornelius Gurlitt
Duration:01:10
Instrument used:Yamaha P515
Additional info:Classic beginners piece which I don't hear many people play. Very catchy and fun but is quite challenging, especially in comparison to other pieces from this opus.
Lots of wrong notes but I this the message goes through.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnFZoD6Hc2Q
Title of piece:Op. 205 No. 11
Composer:Cornelius Gurlitt
Duration:00:54
Instrument used:Yamaha p515
Additional info:Quite an old recording but I think it's worth introducing this piece to you, as it is very charming. One thing I would change is to lower the LH level but at that point in time it was beyond my abilities.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Experience:2.5 years at the time of the recording (almost 5 now)
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrhFS7Pswa8
Title of piece:Fughetta in D minor
Composer:Domenico Zipoli
Duration:01:02
Instrument used:Casio px 160
Recording method:phone
Additional info:Very old recording - this was one of my first baroque pieces. I think it's quite a hidden gem. I recorded it using strings effect, so it may sound like several tracks combined but in fact it is one.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRkFiyiKR6s&t=1s
Title of piece:Little Prelude in D minor (BWV 940)
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:01:17
Instrument used:Yamaha p515
Additional info:A recording I'm very proud of, because of the expression I managed to put into it. This is a relatively old recording but this recital gave me the opportunity to share it.
Thanks for listening.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:vte
Experience:1 year 8 months
Title of piece:Lullaby, No 5 from Six Sketches
Composer:Charles Villiers Stanford
Duration:01:01
Instrument used:Casio PX-870
Recording method:iPhone audio recording

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Alma del tango, Brasilia, La reina del calipso, Ritmos de la noche and Selva tropical from "Musica Latina" Book 1
Composer:Rossi, Wynn-Anne
Duration:04:30
Additional info:I love Latin music, but somehow, I hardly play anything in that style. The old problem - too many pieces one would like to play, not enough time. That's why I was very happy when I discovered the book series "Musica Latina" by Wynn-Ann Rossi. The series has 4 books, from "late beginner" to "late intermediate". Each piece has a short rhythm exercise that helps to learn the rhythm patterns featured in the piece and a short description of the title or sometimes a fun fact. I really enjoyed all of them.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Battle in Carnegie Hall, Bird in the Bebop, Metamorphic Rock, Practice the Piano Blues and Super Stomp Rag from "Jazzin' Americana" Book 1
Composer:Rossi, Wynn-Anne
Duration:04:55
Additional info:Most beginners probably know "Jazz, Rags & Blues" books by Martha Mier. "Jazzin' Americana" series by Wynn-Anne Rossi is much less known, but at least as interesting. As with "Musica Latina", the series consists of 4 books, from "late beginner" to "early advanced". Again, there are short rhythm exercises and interesting facts about famous jazz musicians.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Selection from "Miniatures"
Composer:Labenske, Victor
Duration:05:38
Additional info:The collection "Miniatures" by Victor Labenske contains 24 pieces in all keys. This is the easiest of the collections of this kind that I know. The difficulty is given as Grade 3-4 ABRSM, but I found them much easier. Probably they are intended as "quick studies". All pieces are very short, many different styles are presented. The pieces I chose for this recital are "Happy-Go-Lucky", "Player Piano", "Bitter Sweet", "Country Fiddle", "Dusk", "Lost in Thought", "Short 'n' Sweet", "The Silent Movie" and "West Coast Waltz".

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Op. 205 "Little Flowers" nos. 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11
Composer:Gurlitt, Cornelius
Duration:06:14
Additional info:Cornelius Gurlit (1820-1901) was a German organist, pianist and composer. He wrote lots of instructional piano pieces and studies. I cannot say that I liked everything by him that I played or sight-read through, but "Little Flowers" is a lovely collection. I had hard time choosing pieces for this recital, I liked them all.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Selection from "Romantic Impressions" Book 1
Composer:Mier, Martha
Duration:06:18
Additional info:Series "Romantic Impressions" by Martha Mier consists of 4 books. The first one contains 9 early intermediate solos in romantic style. However, I find that the pieces are much easier than, for example, in the first book of "Jazz, Rags & Blues" which is intended for beginners. I liked all the pieces in this volume, but had to choose some of them for this recital. My selection includes "A Carousel Ride", "Happy Heart", "Moonlight Waltz", "Sand Castles", "Tahitian Sunset" and "Wildflower Waltz".

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Selection from "21 Amazingly Easy Pieces"
Composer:Arens, Barbara
Duration:06:28
Additional info:Barbara Arens is a contemporary pedagogical composer and piano teacher. With her collection "21 Amazingly Easy Pieces" she wanted create expressive music for beginners. According to composer, all the pieces in the book can be played by students in their second year. All the pieces are rather short, sensible fingerings and pedalling suggestions are provided. For this recital I selected "Chaconne", "Minuet", "Ostinato", "Romanesca", "Sarabande" and "Waltz".

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/naHNCO-3NDU
Title of piece:Together (teacher-student duet)
Composer:Martha Mier & Dennis Alexander
Duration:00:44
Source of music:Alfred's Premier Piano Course Lesson Book 2A
Instrument used:Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Recording method:audio: mp3 generated by Pianoteq
video: iphone
Additional info:Many of the beginners' pieces in this book have the score for the teacher's accompaniment. I decided to do both. Naturally, the teacher's part was not quite as easy as the student's part...
It was quite cumbersome afterwards to assemble the four audio and video files in iMovie, and at some spots I am not playing 100% in sync with myself, but it was great fun also.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Flygbladet
Experience:Well.. Many years
Title of piece:Allegro KV 3
Composer:W.A. Mozart
Duration:00:58
Instrument used:Yamaha p45
Recording method:Audacity, line in from piano to computer. Added reverb as after-effect
Additional info:Well so I initially did not think of being in this recital.
But then me and the piano had not talked for months... But then I found my old old books and one of the earliest pieces that I felt really proud of being able to play. Probably 2 or 3- years in to pianoplaying when I was very young. It's written "home work for christmas" from my old piano teacher. I wonder what she does today.

It's Mozart piece, one of his very first when he too was very young. It's nothing complicated but so easy and nice to listen to. So everyone new to piano, after 1 or 2 years or so. Try it! (I think I did it 3 years in as young but you are so unorganize and sÃÆ’Â¥ends almost no time practicing compare to being an adult)

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Experience:3.5 at the time of the recording
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrJMNKAHm90
Title of piece:Le chant guerrier du Roi des Haricots
Composer:Erik Satie
Duration:01:14
Instrument used:Yamaha P515
Recording method:digital to PC,
Additional info:A piece which I studied on my own about a year ago. While being very basic, I believe it provides a little peek into Satie's style.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Experience:5.5 Years
Video link:https://youtu.be/woPCWXu5nLE
Title of piece:Song of Twilight
Composer:Yoshinao Nakada
Duration:01:20
Source of music:RCM 3 Repertoire Book
Additional info:Piece #3 for ABF Beginner Pieces Recital.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:lilypad
Experience:8 years as a child; on & off since retirement in 2004
Title of piece:The Haunted Harp
Composer:Christine Donkin
Duration:00:40
Source of music:RCM Celebration Series Piano Repertoire - Prep A
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-635 Digital Piano
Recording method:USB, audacity for normalize & MP3 conversion
Additional info:This piece is ideal if you have a 'heavy foot'. Instructions say to hold down the damper pedal throughout!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Experience:8 years as a child; then on & off since retirement in 2004
Title of piece:Witches' Waltz
Composer:Robert D. Vandall
Source of music:sheet music; Celebrated Piano Solos by Robert D. Vandall - Book 1
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-635 Digital Piano
Recording method:USB; Audacity for normalize & MP3 conversion.
Additional info:Hey! Halloween is coming up!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Experience:8 years as a child; on & off since retirement in 2004
Title of piece:Dots and Dashes
Composer:Christopher Norton
Duration:00:48
Source of music:Christopher Norton Connections for piano - book 1
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-635 digital piano
Recording method:USB; Audacity to normalize & convert to MP3
Additional info:I just really liked this piece. Imagined it as a fully developed symphony. Unfortunately it's over in about a half a minute.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Smooth and Crunchy
Composer:Elissa Milne
Duration:00:20
Source of music:RCM Celebration Series Piano Repertoire - Prep A
Recording method:USB; Audacity to normalize & convert to MP3
Additional info:Couldn't resist the title of the piece. It presented some new hand independence issues for me. Staccato with on hand and legato with the other were not an issue, but switching them halfway through the piece messed with my head.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Downton Abbey (Theme)
Composer:John Lunn
Duration:00:50
Source of music:Adult Piano Adventures Popular supplement - book 1 arrangements by Faber and Faber
Recording method:USB; then Audacity to normalize & convert to MP3
Additional info:A believable sounding beginner arrangement by the talented team of Faber and Faber.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Angel of Music
Composer:Andrew Lloyd Weber
Duration:01:33
Source of music:Faber Adult Piano Adventures Popular supplement - Book 1
Recording method:USB; then Audacity to normalize & convert to MP3
Additional info:Another nice adult beginner arrangement by the Faber & Faber team. The chords in the 'B' section gave me goosebumps.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:12
Video link:https://youtu.be/o1YX0SAHzgc
Title of piece:Amen Corner
Composer:Robert Vandall
Source of music:Celebrated Jazzy Solos bk 2
Instrument used:Yamaha C3
Additional info:I raided my wife's stash of beginner pieces. Grades 1-2. These are fun!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/NWjzSHoV4K4
Title of piece:Bluesy Mood
Duration:01:57
Additional info:Grades 1-2. Fun!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/FY7miHrh4oY
Title of piece:Buckeye Rag
Duration:01:21
Additional info:Grades 1-2. A buckeye is a nut!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/sWuSY9HrrRY
Title of piece:BVs Boogie
Duration:01:07
Additional info:Grades 1-2. Boogie down...

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/i4-HC99Wvv8
Title of piece:Clowns
Composer:Kabalevsky
Duration:00:37
Additional info:Piece #4 for ABF Beginner Pieces Recital - All I have to say is that clowns are scary, and sorry for the restart, but you'd probably hear that at a real recital anyway laugh

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/8t-J-7-3zl8
Title of piece:Prelude I
Composer:Barbara Arens
Source of music:21 Amazingly Easy Pieces
Additional info:Interesting - like a Bach prelude but simpler.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/_ibhcbdp61U
Title of piece:Prelude III
Duration:01:07
Additional info:These are really easy, but sound more difficult than they are.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/PGoSol-te9U
Title of piece:Prelude IV
Duration:00:52
Additional info:Energico!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/25On4dFbs9Y
Title of piece:Prelude V
Duration:01:54
Additional info:Much easier than it sounds!

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7164Bd3i60U
Title of piece:Willow
Composer:Unknown
Duration:00:17
Source of music:Nikolaev: Russian school of piano playing, book 1 part 2
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150 plus Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Recording method:audio: file generated by Pianoteq
video: iPhone
Additional info:This is one of the first polyphonic pieces that I have learned. I like polyphonic pieces a lot, even though it is quite a job to learn them. This piece touches my heart - its melancholy, its Russian sound.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/z-7uYgI5V7U
Title of piece:A Pleasant Morning - Op. 63, No. 1
Composer:Louis Streabbog
Source of music:Alfred's Masterwork Classics Series Level 4
Additional info:A fun little warm up piece to play from time to time.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/3cC5m1P3CXQ
Title of piece:Rainbow colors
Composer:Julie Knerr
Duration:00:45
Source of music:Katherine Fisher & Julie Knerr: Pattern pieces 2
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150 + Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Additional info:There are two books called "Pattern pieces". The pieces in these books are really interesting, exploring different expressions, but not always nice. But this one I liked a lot! When I listen to my recording that I made a year ago, I wish I would have held down the ending a little longer.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Saan
Experience:12 years of lessons as a child. I took a break of 23 years and have been playing again for about two years.
Video link:https://youtu.be/W0bW9RGLw6g
Title of piece:Waltz of the One Eyed Witch
Composer:Walter and Carol Noona
Duration:02:16
Source of music:Sheet music found on sheet music plus
Instrument used:Yamaha U3H
Recording method:Quicktime and a USB mic
Additional info:I played this piece as a child and I remember it being the first piece where I felt like I was *really* playing the piano. Thanks to its funny name I was able to remember it and thought it would be a good fit for this recital.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:karen627
Experience:About six months a dozen years ago; started again in April 2021
Title of piece:Eccosaise
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:01:02
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP 745
Recording method:Clavinova built-in recorder
Additional info:Constructive criticism is welcome. This piece is still a bit beyond my level, but it was fun to challenge myself -- I used this recital to experience choosing a piece, learning it, and perfecting it by a deadline. Of course, I didn't perfect it -- I sped up a bit despite my best efforts to maintain a steady rhythm, because something in my brain decided I should hurry up and finish before the whole performance fell apart. And after all of that, for some reason the recording cut off the last note! I submitted it anyway, because I was determined to follow through on submitting this. And it's an accurate snapshot of where I am now -- except for that last note, which I promise I played correctly. smile

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AndresVel
Experience:15 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/qegh_o2s9DE
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC23asvSAcKOZc5obWptp0tw
Title of piece:Biriulki, Op. 28: No. 1, 3, 10, and 12
Composer:Samuel Maykapar
Duration:03:16
Instrument used:Sabel S123
Recording method:Rode M5-MP microphones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Ableton Live 10 for editing
Additional info:I was very excited about this themed recital, since I have had the chance of discovering many beautiful and challenging short pieces in these 15 months of piano lessons. They are all curated in the book Die Russische Klavierschule (The Russian piano school, german edition), which I follow with my teacher. I thought in choosing a topic from where I could extract several pieces from the book to perform. I noticed two composers are showcased quite often: Alexander Goedicke, and Samuel Maykapar. I decided then to choose the latter one for this recital (Goedicke also has outstanding music for beginners).

Samuel Maykapar was a Russian composer (1867-1938). Even though he is considered a romantic composer, some of his works have also that Russian taste that characterized the beginning of the 20th century. I am presenting a selection of four pieces out of his Op. 28 Biriulki, which from Russian will translate to something like Spillikins or Pick-up sticks (a traditional game), but that seems to simply be referred to as Bagatelles in english piano literature (according to RCM syllabus). I have listened to the whole set and I liked it a lot, and wanted also to show alternatives to the traditional children albums from Schumann and Tchaikovsky. The four pieces I have chosen are:

No. 1: At Kindergarten: This is the first piece o the set I learned. It title fits it very well, as it is easy to imagine a bunch of children playing and jumping around. It is a very cheerful piece. It helps to exercise the staccato technique, and in a second step, the voicing of the melody, as it is almost always played with intervals on the RH or LH.

No. 3: The Shepherd Boy: I loved the main theme of this one. It is very playful. I remember loving this piece because it was the first one where I could use the highest octave of the keyboard. It is particularly challenging to get it at the indicated tempo, to sync both hands in the main theme (specially the LH as you can hear :/) and to do some large jumps when the theme returns. A very challenging, beautiful piece.

No. 10: Fairy Tale: This one is a complete change of mood. It is a very sad melancholic piece. It was great to work on phrasing, legato technique, and to explore on the musicality side.

No. 12: The Butterfly: This has been the most challenging of the four pieces I present. There is a lot going on in terms of articulation, going from staccato to legato, also staccato-legato in the LH, tenuto, etc.. It is also more mixed in terms of dynamics, with a fermata at 3/4 of the piece, and some ritardando towards the end. It kind of mixes the techniques worked on the other pieces and exercises your musicality.

For the video I decided to pair each piece with a painting from german painter Paul Klee, one of my favorite artists. I always try to find a connection between the paintings in my videos of short pieces and the music. I hope you can notice it as well. I hope you guys enjoy the selections and perhaps consider to give other pieces of the set a chance. They are all accessible in IMSLP.
Thank you for listening smile

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:AndresVel
Experience:15 months
Video link:https://youtu.be/TAXo_pE-SlQ
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC23asvSAcKOZc5obWptp0tw
Title of piece:Children's Album, Op. 69: No. 1 - March
Composer:Dmitri Shostakovich
Instrument used:Sable S123
Recording method:Rode M5-MP microphones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Ableton Live 10 for editing
Additional info:Since I wanted to feel like in an actual recital, I wanted to have an encore piece smile So I chose this little short piece by Shostakovich. I was so happily surprised when his name appeared in the book. I did not know he had composed a set of beginners pieces (his Op. 69), so here I am also taking the chance to show an alternative to Schumann and Tchaikovsky childrens albums. This is the first one of the set, which I consider full of humor and cheerfulness. Perfect for practicing different articulations and dynamics, and also to explore new harmonies. I hope you enjoy it.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:thepianoplayer416
Experience:10
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz89ECjLX-E
Title of piece:Simple Gifts, Ecossaise in G
Composer:Joseph Bracket, Beethoven
Duration:02:10
Source of music:www.makingmusicfun.net
Instrument used:Yamaha P125
Recording method:Canon PowerShot SX730 HS
Additional info:I've played the orchestral piece "Variations on a Shaker Melody" from "Appalachian Spring" by Aaron Copland with my music group. Found a version for easy piano online.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Coati
Experience:3 years
Title of piece:Op. 176 No. 17 "Twilight Waltz"
Composer:Jean-Baptiste Duvernoy
Duration:00:39
Source of music:Sheet Music (Alfred's Premier Piano Course)
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-645
Recording method:Digital piano to USB, converted WAV to MP3
Additional info:I have been learning piano (very slowly) for 3 years, starting from being an absolute beginner. After some false starts with other methods, I have settled on using the Alfred's Premier Piano Course (often used for children, not adults), as I find that the slow introduction of concepts and techniques one by one, and the greater number of pieces for each technique, has been very helpful. I feel sometimes that I am making slow progress, particularly compared to some others I've seen who have shared far more advanced pieces even before getting 3 years into this. I do try to not compare my own progress to others, though, and I do feel that my progress has been steady, if slow, and that I have been enjoying every bit of it along the way.

I enjoy lurking on the forums, and listening to the recitals. I haven't submitted to recitals before, as I felt I did not have pieces worth sharing, however, given the theme of this recital, I thought it would be fun to share a couple of the beginner pieces I have recently worked on.

This is one of 2 pieces I am submitting, both from around the middle of Level 3 of the method book series, from a cluster of pieces all in F Major, which was recently introduced. In this piece, I was focusing (and have room for improvement) on the dynamics: the difference between mp and p, while preserving phrasing and emphasis of the beat for the waltz. I was also practicing getting a solid sound from double notes and chords, for example during beats 2 and 3 of the waltz measures on the left hand, trying to time them to sound together as much as possible.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Coati
Experience:3 years
Title of piece:Op. 190 No. 27 "Song without Words"
Composer:Louis Kohler
Duration:01:13
Source of music:Sheet Music (Alfred's Premier Piano Course)
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-645
Recording method:Digital piano to USB, converted WAV to MP3
Additional info:This is the second of my two pieces in 3/4 and in F Major. One of the strengths of this method book series is that it does offer up a number of similar pieces to help dig into and get practice on new concepts and techniques as they are introduced. Something I always struggle with is a tendency to rush (ending with a much faster tempo than I began), and I had that problem quite a lot when practicing this piece. I worked on it, trying to keep steady tempo, and I did improve on that, but I think there is still some rushing in this piece, perhaps from not giving the left hand quarter notes their full count on the measures they play alone, without the right hand melody.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/Z-E1tFtCk-Q
Title of piece:Children's song
Composer:Jean-Baptiste Weckerlin
Duration:00:21
Source of music:Nikolaev: The Russian School of Piano Playing, book 2.
Instrument used:Kawai VPC1 + Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Additional info:Just a cute little piece that was a pleasure to learn. Very often, when the title says "Children's piece", it means that it is fast and gleeful, and I was very happy that this one is so gentle.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/O6lKFUulEl4
Title of piece:Waltz
Composer:Diabelli
Duration:00:38
Source of music:Alfred's Masterwork Classic Series, Level 3
Additional info:I first learned this almost 5 years ago now and it was the first piece I had to play in front of group as part of a masterclass after starting piano lessons back in 2016. It's a lot easier play it today ;0

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/LL2Azw86PPc
Title of piece:Sonatina C Major - Op 36, No 1, Mvmt 1
Composer:Clementi
Additional info:Can never practice this one enough smile

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/JVCPZ3NnqAE
Title of piece:Sonatina G Major - Op 36, No 2, Mvmt 3
Composer:Clementi
Duration:01:48
Additional info:Final piece for themed recital.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Ukrainian folk song
Composer:Unknown
Duration:00:26
Source of music:Nikolaev - The Russian School of Piano Playing, book 1, part 1
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150 + Garageband
Recording method:File from Garageband to laptop
Additional info:Just a sweet little beginners' piece. It is played with alternating hands (most of the time three 8th notes for each hand), and a challenge for the beginner is of course to not make gaps when changing hands.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:cygnusdei
Experience:Most of my childhood and adult life
Title of piece:Sonatina in G major, Anh. 5/1
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:03:33
Instrument used:Hailun HG-151
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:I always thought this Sonatina was quite charming but I had never played it. Thank you PW quarterly recital for inspiring me to finally learn and play this piece.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/vFo9ZMnSv90
Title of piece:Russian folk song
Composer:Aleksandr Goedike
Duration:00:30
Source of music:Nikolaev: The Russian School of Piano Playing, book 1 part 2
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX150 + Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 280
Recording method:audio: file created by Pianoteq
Additional info:I played this piece a little less than two years ago, and I needed to work very hard in order to make my legato more smooth and more singing. Also, I love its melancholic sound.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:KrisR
Experience:20 months of lessons.
Title of piece:Nuvole Bianche
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:02:00
Source of music:Graded pieces for piano (Grades 3,4,5)
Instrument used:Roland
Recording method:iphone to iTunes
Additional info:I really struggled to get a recording. I think I've played it better - but not while recording it. Honestly, if I hadn't said I was going to do this.....I would have backed out.

Last edited by Sam S; 10/15/21 07:20 AM.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://youtu.be/_boSUrN0SZE
Title of piece:The lonesome road
Composer:Nathaniel Shilkret
Source of music:Unknown.
Instrument used:Kawai VPC1 + Pianoteq Bechstein DG D 282
Additional info:I found the score of this piece when I was still "self-teaching" and scouring the internet for "Easy piano". As it happens, it was a lovely arrangement with three voices, even though I had no clue about voices then.
When I had bought my VPC-1 half a year ago, I needed to play some old pieces in order to get familiar with its action, and that is when I made this recording.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkCBzGAIJFE
Title of piece:Morning Prayer Op. 39, No. 1
Composer:Tchaikovsky
Duration:01:41
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Estonia L210 (2018)
Recording method:Zoom H5
Additional info:This is the peaceful first piece from Tchaikovsky's Op. 39 "Children's Album". What a beautiful way to start the morning with a bit of tranquility and meditation.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKACuqScfVg
Title of piece:The Sick Doll Op. 39, No. 7
Duration:02:46
Additional info:The seventh piece from Tchaikovsky's Op. 39 "Children's Album".

A minimalistic and sorrowful little tune. I especially like the ebb and flow of the melody, as if the doll is struggling to breathe.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXEfxQyhojg
Title of piece:The Doll's Funeral Op. 39, No. 8
Duration:02:01
Recording method:Zoom H5
Additional info:The Eighth piece from Tchaikovsky's Op. 39 "Children's Album".

The Doll has succumbed to the bleak cold of the Russian winter. May she rest in peace.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Talao
Experience:2 years and 3 months.
Video link:https://youtu.be/gc0TtTQhZs8
Title of piece:The Doll's Funeral, Op. 39, No. 8
Duration:02:33
Source of music:Sheet music.
Instrument used:Yamaha U3 (52" acoustic upright).
Recording method:Shure MV88+ mic facing into piano from the top (top lid open), centered.
Additional info:Disclaimer: I want to apologize for the audible pedal noise, which can be quite distracting (sad face :-(. Not sure why, today in particular, this started happening. I'll speak to my tech about it. This is the second easiest piece (I think) in Tchaikovsky's "Children's Album," and I love playing it (since I can't yet play Chopin's Marche Funebre :-). I learned it about a year ago, but my teacher wanted me to do more finger legato and not simply rely fully on the pedal. At the time, keeping all the finger legato going was a big strain for me because I couldn't relax my hands enough. So I put it aside for a bit and picked it back up recently. After lots of focused practice and concentration (telling brain to tell my hands hand "Stop tensing up!") I'm happy to report that I can now play it with close to zero tension. Another feedback from my teacher was about voicing the top notes of the chords more clearly, at which I think I did a decent job here. This is also my first foray into using the soft pedal throughout significant portions of a piece. Let me know what you think! All feedback, both kind and critical, is welcome!

Last edited by Sam S; 10/15/21 07:21 AM.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:rwsavory
Title of piece:To A Wild Rose
Composer:Edward MacDowell
Duration:02:08
Instrument used:Kawai GL-40
Recording method:Tascam DR-05
Additional info:When I first listened to this piece I thought it would be easy to learn. Maybe it's a beginner's piece for someone else. LOL. I enjoyed working on it, though.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Video link:https://vimeo.com/632296102
Title of piece:Rondo Movement of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto K622
Composer:Mozart
Instrument used:MP11SE, using the Boesendorfer Imperial virtual piano from VSL
Additional info:Transcribed by Christopher Norton
Though this is meant to be a transcription, it is not really that. You an hear hints of the original, and I kind of think inspired by, informed by would be better descriptions. This is no criticism of the transcription, this is an attractive piece in its own right and I very much enjoyed learning it.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:wr
Experience:65+
Title of piece:Gnoissienne No. 3
Composer:Erik Satie
Duration:03:50
Source of music:Score
Instrument used:Boston GP-193
Recording method:PC - Sound Forge
Additional info:Satie's performance directions can be pretty interesting. Here are the ones found at various spots in this piece:

Proceed carefully
Arm yourself with clairvoyance
Alone, for a moment
So as to be a hole
Very lost
Carry this further away
Open the head
Muffle the sound

I can't say I feel I did them justice.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:8 Children's Pieces - Nos. 1-4
Composer:Boris Tchaikovsky
Duration:05:54
Source of music:Score (screen grab from a YouTube video)
Additional info:Boris Tchaikovsky (1925-1996) was a student of Shostakovich and Miakovsky. He was not related to Peter. These pieces are from 1952.

I recorded them separately, but combined them into two files for convenience. The pieces in this first group are: 1. Cheerful Walk; 2. Autumn Day; 3. March; 4. Waltz

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:8 Children's Pieces - Nos. 5-8
Composer:Boris Tchaikovsky
Duration:08:37
Source of music:Score (screen grab from a YouTube video)
Additional info:The pieces in this group are 5. First Rain; 6. Fugetta; 7. Romance; 8. Small Sonata.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
That's all folks!
Enjoy!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission