2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:OE1FEU (Peter)
Experience:40 years, with 15 of not playing in between
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/c/PeterLemken/videos
Title of piece:Intermezzo b-flat minor Op. 117 No. 2
Composer:Johannes Brahms
Duration:04:28
Source of music:Sheet music, Henle Urtext edition
Instrument used:Steinway B built in 1886
Recording method:Audacity on Linux with Steinberg Audio Interface and a matched pair of Rode NT5 and NT45-O omnidirectional capsules
Comment Policy:Critical Comments: Anything goes!
Additional info:Work in progress as part of playing all three pieces of Op. 117

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:psyche23 (Edwin)
Experience:Eight years as a child, 2.5 years since returning to the piano as an adult.
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-616625087
Title of piece:'Mignon', Op. 68 No. 35 from Album for the Young
Composer:Schumann
Duration:01:53
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P-125 and Pianoteq 7
Recording method:Digital to PC (Pianoteq 7)
Comment Policy:No comments on my submission please!
Additional info:Originally intended as a birthday gift for his daughter Marie, and written mainly for children, this suite of 43 short works was written by Schumann in 1848. As well as containing some lovely pieces, I highly recommend this as a sight-reading tool for early-intermediate level pianists and above.

As I wasn't able to record my intended piece in time for this recital, I'm submitting another one made a couple of months ago. It was initially conceived as an experiment as I have a tendency to overpractice for the recitals and wanted to record this while it still felt fresh. In the end it took around 30 mins from sight-reading to pressing the red button. There are a few things I'd change if I were to spend more time with this piece but overall the whole process was very enjoyable.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Marlings
Experience:4
Title of piece:Well Tempered Clavier / Prelude and Fugue 6 in D minor
Composer:Bach
Duration:04:17
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Yamaha CP88 Master keyboard on to Garritan CFX on Desktop Intel
Recording method:PC
Comment Policy:General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement
Additional info:Not the easiest not the most difficult pair in WTC. The prelude is relentless, never a dull moment so to speak, so you get to the end of it quite tired. The main difficulty is keeping the sixteen notes equal and with the right accent. The fugue is a classic 3 voices suite. Hopefully I didn't butcher them too much. Any comment & critique very welcome. Enjoy, M.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:self-taught since 2009 (with a "break" between 2017 and 2020)
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/PianoCarlosCC
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/carloscc-2
Title of piece:One wave one sea
Composer:CarlosCC
Duration:06:22
Source of music:Original.
No sheet music yet.
Instrument used:Yamaha P85
Recording method:Digital do PC
Comment Policy:General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement
Additional info:Some sounds I heard when I was by the sea in a late afternoon.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:selfishplayer
Experience:8y
Video link:https://youtu.be/-VOdw59BXlI
Title of piece:Variatio 8 from Goldberg Variations
Composer:J.S.Bach
Duration:01:02
Additional info:Tried my best to optimize finger arrangement to make it sound as consistent as possible ,though there's still parts need hard work .I'm done with my Kawai piano . The action and tone quality can no longer satisfy my need . After trying several handcrafted used or rebuilt pianos at dealers, I'm more convinced it's time to upgrade. Otherwise I will never pass ABRSM initial grade >.<

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:bSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:6
Video link:https://youtu.be/vB3VZbRTGJg
Title of piece:Invention No. 8 In F Major, BWV 779
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:01:11
Source of music:RCM 7 Repertoire Sheet Music
Instrument used:Yamaha C3X
Recording method:Cell Phone
Additional info:This was an RCM 7 Exam piece I played last year now. It's been awhile. Thought I'd come back and freshen up. Bars 19 and 20 in the left hand are still problematic for me. Otherwise, I feel pretty good about it. Hope you enjoy smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Agrajag
Experience:1 year
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq8iqfHXcLc
Title of piece:Jesus bleibet meine Freude - BWV 147
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach, arr. Myra Hess
Duration:03:35
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CA-79
Recording method:Internal recording (audio), iphone (video)
Additional info:I wanted to record a polished piece this last weekend for my first recital, but couldn't seem to stay focused. So here's a recording from a few months ago instead.

Bringing out the different voices was a challenge, but I'm somewhat pleased with how it turned out.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:facdo
Experience:3 years as a kid and almost 4 years as an adult
Video link:https://youtu.be/71apLhXPF_c
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/c/FelipeCostaPiano
Title of piece:Nocturne in E flat Major, Op.9 No.2
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:14
Source of music:Sheet music, Paderewski edition
Instrument used:Kawai K200
Recording method:Pair of microphones
Additional info:I wanted to submit another piece for this recital, but I wasn't able to finish it. I moved to another country recently and it took me 1 month to get a piano, so wasn't practicing for a long time. I wanted to record a new piece on my new (25 years old) piano, but I wasn't able to get it ready in time. For that reason, I am submitting an older recording. This is an overplayed piece, but as any of Chopin's nocturnes, I think it is really beautiful and quite difficult to play well. I did my best to do a decent interpretation of this piece, but I know there are some issues with my playing and a lot of things to improve. But all things considered, I liked this recording. I hope you guys enjoy it and feel free to give any kind of feedback (including criticism).

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Rachtoven
Experience:3.5 years
Title of piece:Piano Sonata in C Major K.545 1st Movement
Composer:Mozart
Duration:03:24
Instrument used:Kawai RX-3
Recording method:Shure MV88 connected to iphone
Additional info:This is clearly a work in progress and I need to polish a bunch of different areas, but decided to submit anyway.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Pathbreaker
Experience:20
Video link:https://youtu.be/DjVckCzU1iw
Title of piece:Nocturne No. 3 - Op. 33
Composer:Faure
Duration:04:39
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha N1X, Garritan CFX
Recording method:Digital to PC (midi audio) - OBS Studio
Additional info:I played through this a few years ago but didn't finish it. I moved onto the Nocturne no. 8 which is a bit shorter.

I decided to work on this again because I needed some contrast to all the Bach and Brahms of the last couple years. The piece is quite a bit harder than I remembered it. It's still probably one of the easier Nocturnes but maybe a bit harder than no. 8.

For the video, I used OBS Studio along with Garritan CFX audio. That is how I record when I also do video. If only doing audio I usually record with Cubase. For some reason I normally prefer to just listen to audio. I used CloudConvert to convert the mp4 video to mp3.

My first upload used the N1X Yamaha CFX. I wanted to create a comparison video with the Garritan the following day and the performance turned out really good so I uploaded that one instead.

Thanks for listening!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Coati
Experience:3 years
Title of piece:The Setting Sun
Composer:Johann Christian Bach
Duration:01:12
Source of music:Alfred's Premier Piano Course (Masterworks 3)
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CLP-645
Recording method:Digital piano to USB, converted WAV to MP3
Additional info:I'm a bit unsure about submitting this, as I am nowhere close to the standard of most performances in these recitals. I am emboldened by the recent beginner's pieces themed recital, however, so am going ahead.

I am still working through method book pieces, and tend to spend several days to a week working on a piece before I find that I am performing it sufficiently well to move on. This reflects a piece that is at the end of that process. It's far from perfect, and I know there are things to improve. In particular I often have issues keeping a consistent and steady tempo, and I think that is the case here as well.

This short piece was actually rather intimidating to me when I first saw it. It is quite unlike what I have played so far in my method books. I was presented with just a wall of eighth notes, and a piece where (I think) the musicality is almost entirely in the harmonic progression rather than any melody or rhythm. It is also quite fast compared to what I have played up until now. So, this was a bit of a struggle, but I enjoyed it and learned from it, and hope to have managed a passable performance in the end.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:RudolfRSK
Experience:Handful of lessons as a kid, ~5 years very intermittently, last 18 months with regular practice
Title of piece:Sonetto 47 del Petrarca
Composer:Liszt
Duration:04:57
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Kawai NV10
Recording method:Native NV10 Recording Software
Additional info:My background is the handful of lessons I took a long time ago and deciding in 2015 'I know notes and what most of these signs mean, I'm going to find sheet music and play things well above my ability with sheer enthusiasm.' I don't regret doing that, but I picked this piece earlier this year to challenge the bad habits and deficiencies in phrasing & musicality developed with that approach - and also because it's a gorgeous work. But I'll also concede this work is *also* pretty well above my head, and my performance of it still leaves things to be desired.

The left-hand/right-hand eighth note offset demands a focus on precision throughout the entirety of it, and while there's still a long way to go in terms of precision on this work (left-hand pacing, chord hygiene, etc.), it forced me to improve, and I'm grateful for that.

And I do really like this central feature, the half-beat offset of the melodic line, for this piece. It's introduces some potent phrasing (i.e.: a note in the melody at the end of a measure can either be full or cut in half, depending on whether it falls at the end of a measure and depending on whether it's tied into an eighth note to start the next measure). That throws in some surprising interruptions into the melodic line, which works well for the uncomfortable love poem that is Benedetto Sia 'l Giorno (made more uncomfortable by how it fits into Liszt's life at the time - it's a lot easier to like the work if you don't try to make a connection between Liszt's personal life and why he connected to sonnets about forbidden love). That half-note offset is also at least a little clever in reference to the original sonnet - the left-hand line and the right-hand melody, like the sonnet's narrator and Laura, are not and cannot be together.

I picked this recording, since it's the one with the best phrasing, even if there is a very bad memory lapse around 1:43. The recordings I could choose from were the ones that had an acceptable 2nd Cadenza - and there weren't many of those. It's a difficult section for me.

If you're going to be giving critical feedback, I'll self-identify the following problems:

-Awful memory lapse at 1:43. It's bad. Moving on.
-Pacing early in the first una corda can be inconsistent (:28-:40). This is an area that is in progress and in a pretty good place now - but I don't have any recordings with the tempo I'm looking for and a Second Cadenza that isn't a disaster (it's hard!)
-Second una corda prior to memory lapse (1:21-1:44): Melodic line does always not shine through. I think part of this comes from chord uncleanliness on the right hand (which has been cleaned up since this recording), part from within-RH-chord note emphasis (improved), and RH/LH dynamic imbalance (in progress)
-Mispedal on the 2:25 chord
-This was one of my better runs of the Second Cadenza (2:30). Still with flubs. This piece was ambitious, and this section is one of the reasons why.
-Miscellaneous missed note & flubs (3:15-3:55)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:P Westberg
Experience:10 years of lessons as a child/teen, dabbled a bit since then until the beginning of this year when I for some unknow reason started practicing regularly! Looking to find a teacher soon.
Title of piece:Bagatelle Op. 119 No. 1
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:02:14
Source of music:Augeners Edition
Instrument used:Feurich 179 in need of its initial in-home tuning!
Recording method:Single mic into DAW on PC.
Comment Policy:Polite Comments only: no suggestions for improvement please.
Additional info:This is a work in progress. Also, this is my first recital submission.

I have been working through Op. 119 and hope to get through all 11 of these little gems. I had not heard any of them before I found the score in my collection of music that I picked up at a sale about 10 years ago.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Moo smile
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaO65hpn5Q
Title of piece:Rondo in D K485
Composer:Mozart
Duration:06:32
Recording method:The first 2:30 is blurry but after this it is fine.
Additional info:I was trying to learn classical pieces and this one was recommended to me by someone in pianoworld forum. It is called a rondo (ABACA) but it more like in a sonata form. Enjoy!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
That's all folks! Enjoy!

Sam

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission