2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
Does anyone have a copy of Dohnanyi's Piano Quintet Op. 1 or Franck's Piano Quintet that they'd be willing to part with? I'm in need of both and unable to afford new music.

S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
You can find both free on imslp.

Blüthner model 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sure, but if you want the old-fashioned real stuff....

I can imagine wanting that.

Mike: Hope we'll have someone who has them for you. I know that such full scores/parts aren't cheap.

S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Sure, but if you want the old-fashioned real stuff....

I can imagine wanting that.

Mike: Hope we'll have someone who has them for you. I know that such full scores/parts aren't cheap.

Yes I can understand that too. But its not the kind of score that is easy to find. The Franck piece is expensive new, 45 euros from Henle.

Blüthner model 6
B
BDB Offline
B
They are both available from International Music Co. The Dohnanyi is about $42, the Franck about $36. They have been available for a long time, so you might be able to find them in a store that sells used music.

Semipro Tech
A
A
Sorry that I don't! I hope you find someone who does.
There should be something (is there already?) like a online library of used piano scores where people share and lend stuff, in person or by mail. Basically a music library for those who have no access to a university library or a good public library of scores and books. Lots of music sits on personal library shelves for months or even years without being used, and I would personally be very happy to lend my scores to a serious musician who will study and play them or to gift those I no longer use. Maybe we can start something like this on PW? I'm probably too far away at the moment to be able to contribute music personally or maybe even by mail, but I'm starting a Buy Nothing group where I am (check out the BN Projectif you don't know it! Such an important initiative especially now in the holiday season), and the whole philosophy is that the idea of buying and owning everything you need is relatively new in history; you can almost certainly find someone who's happy to lend or gift it to you, and that person will benefit from you or from someone else, even if not immediately (it's not a second-hand shop or even an exchange group because the basic principle is giving freely, and this "gift economy" works to strengthen the fabric of society). I used to be fond of getting my own copy of everything, but I realized that collecting scores can become a goal of its own and that I'm more likely to use, play and study music more actively when I borrow instead of buy.

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Have you tried the University of Washington music school library? They have an extensive collection of scores. Not sure if you have to be affiliated with UW to check them out.

B
B
Chamber music scores tend to be expensive. Dover is usually the cheapest but they typically only include the full piano score, not the individual string parts.

Your best bet is IMSLP or a local library with no fee. I tried to borrow from University of Washington Music School many years ago but since I'm not a student there, it was either expensive to get a membership or not possible - I can't remember which. Perhaps things have changed.

I live in Bellevue and can print/bind the IMSLP scores quickly and free for you if you need.

B
B
Originally Posted by Ainar
Sorry that I don't! I hope you find someone who does.
There should be something (is there already?) like a online library of used piano scores where people share and lend stuff, in person or by mail. Basically a music library for those who have no access to a university library or a good public library of scores and books. Lots of music sits on personal library shelves for months or even years without being used, and I would personally be very happy to lend my scores to a serious musician who will study and play them or to gift those I no longer use. Maybe we can start something like this on PW? I'm probably too far away at the moment to be able to contribute music personally or maybe even by mail, but I'm starting a Buy Nothing group where I am (check out the BN Projectif you don't know it! Such an important initiative especially now in the holiday season), and the whole philosophy is that the idea of buying and owning everything you need is relatively new in history; you can almost certainly find someone who's happy to lend or gift it to you, and that person will benefit from you or from someone else, even if not immediately (it's not a second-hand shop or even an exchange group because the basic principle is giving freely, and this "gift economy" works to strengthen the fabric of society). I used to be fond of getting my own copy of everything, but I realized that collecting scores can become a goal of its own and that I'm more likely to use, play and study music more actively when I borrow instead of buy.

Bagaduce Music Library ( https://www.bagaducemusic.org ) is available to the general public and they have an incredible sheet music selection. They charge a few dollars per score, however you need to pay shipping for both ways. I have borrowed a lot of rare scores from them over the years and have had a good experience. That being said, the shipping costs do add up and I only use them for scores that I cannot purchase.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
do you mean the piano-part or the whole lot? i have spare piano-parts

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission