2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Having just read a sensationally good review of her recording of this set of etudes in International Piano magazine, I decided to listen to them and was frankly overwhelmed.

There are, of course, many great recordings of these pieces by many very great pianists, but this is certainly one of favorites. If one has heard excellent playing of a piece many times, I think it takes very special playing for one to listen transfixed, but that is what this recording did for me. So I am curious about other member's opinion of this recording.

I find it extraordinary.
I've loved her playing since hearing her in the Cliburn and got 2nd prize (IMO should have been 1st), and made a point of going to hear her in person as soon as I could.
In many places in this recording -- like, the entire 1st etude on here ("Aeolian Harp") -- if I didn't know who it was, my guess would have been it was a tech-cleaned-up 19th century recording -- in the best sense.

S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
This is certainly a great version. She is definitely a remarkable pianist. Some the etudes are played slower than what is usual but she adds a lot of expressivity. A truly romantic version. The precision and quality of articulation reminds me of Avdeeva even though they have a completely different style but share some technical common points. The recording here us top notch also. The first etude is gorgeous.

Blüthner model 6
C
C
Thanks for introducing. Peaceful - I wonder if other versions have the same harp like peacefulness or quality. I see one of the pieces actually references the harp! Amazing piano sound clarity too to expose the capability. Love the end etudes as much too as they also remind me of the Op. 10 No.12 revolutionary a little, which because of hearing this here I've had a listen to all these too (by others). I think she'd be great at that too as I can hear similar touches/techniques coming through here not because a little of the composition seems duplicated from it, but because of elsewhere too - Vladimir Horowitz was great to hear a moment ago too (on Revolutionary). I would like to hear him on these etudes too for further comparison: on these two different ways/styles in exuding the provocative. You mentioned there're many to compare that are also great, so I do hope to hear these eventually as well. I do not yet have much experience of hearing these to date, but must again thank you for posting as I found the play to be very touching, and expressive enough to reveal moving qualities in the composition. I suppose sometimes flair is the greater objective, but here that seems well balanced and why I compare it probably with Horowitz (because flair seems yo me not to be the sole driving force). Apologies if I'm talking nonesence because it's spur of the moment review for pieces I've likely not heard before. So great to hear uninterupted full duration recordings; something the past didn't have that we have now!

Last edited by concertinist25701; 12/05/21 05:28 PM.

temp soundcloud link until hosted in profile - https://soundcloud.com/user-525630858-405274758 currently highlighting mainly Danny Toner, my granddad; possibly much more to come for archiving

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Extraordinary recording, but so too are her other recordings.

If I could only take two CDs to my desert-island exile, one would be Milstein's Bach Sonatas and Partitas, and the other would be Rana's Goldberg Variations.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Great version. Thanks for sharing.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
OP Online Content
I should add that although I really liked her playing of many of the etudes and felt they were very different from most other recordings, some of the etudes on this recording I found strange in terms of the rubato. The etude in 6ths was one example.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I should add that although I really liked her playing of many of the etudes and felt they were very different from most other recordings, some of the etudes on this recording I found strange in terms of the rubato. The etude in 6ths was one example.

I liked that a lot, altho I did smile a little at the wrong notes. grin

S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S

I would venture that the starting idea of B.Rana is to play these pieces not as technical Etudes but as romantic compositions. As such she is really interpreting them without any concern about demonstrating a sense of virtuosity (thus ocasionally slowing down the tempo more than what most are doing) but rather trying to find an expressive meaning. That leads her to a very personal interpretation; where others would keep a fairly steady pace, she is leaning toward a personal interpretation as she feels it appropriate.

In certain cases, it may be surprising but that is what makes it so unusual. That piece is definitely played way out of the usual versions.

Blüthner model 6
S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sidokar

I would venture that the starting idea of B.Rana is to play these pieces not as technical Etudes but as romantic compositions. As such she is really interpreting them without any concern about demonstrating a sense of virtuosity (thus ocasionally slowing down the tempo more than what most are doing) but rather trying to find an expressive meaning. That leads her to a very personal interpretation; where others would keep a fairly steady pace, she is leaning toward a personal interpretation as she feels it appropriate.

In certain cases, it may be surprising but that is what makes it so unusual. That piece is definitely played way out of the usual versions.

BTW, I doubt she could have won the Chopin competition playing it like that ....

Blüthner model 6
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I find it extraordinary.
Me too.

I've loved her playing since hearing her in the Cliburn* and got 2nd prize (IMO should have been 1st**), and made a point of going to hear her in person as soon as I could.***
* Me too.
** Me too (I was there for the whole thing, so this is an informed opinion lol).
*** Me too (recital in the Terrace Theater at The Kennedy Center--marvelous!).

In many places in this recording -- like, the entire 1st etude on here ("Aeolian Harp") -- if I didn't know who it was, my guess would have been it was a tech-cleaned-up 19th century recording -- in the best sense.
Me too (sort of).

SRF
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

I agree. In some of them, e.g. 25/6, it seemed like I was "hearing" too many bar lines and phantom fermatas. But it was only a minor distraction from her otherwise exquisite playing.

SRF
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'll be the bad guy here and say it's merely good. Some of them felt a bit clunky and slow. Good moments throughout of course. Fine colorist.

A
A
Astonishing recording. And you're absolutely right- one does not expect to be astonished and moved to goosebumps from hearing the Chopin etudes, pieces that one hears all day long in practice rooms. Rana once said that the hardest thing, and the most important thing, is to work against the force of tradition in interpreting a certain piece and to look at it with fresh eyes. (Can't find the video again- it was an interview before a concerto performance).

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission