2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3182665 01/05/22 06:27 PM
T
TFF Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello all. For some context, I am playing Chopin's Ballades, Liszt's Transcendental Etudes, other pieces of the same caliber. I've been playing on a digital piano my entire life. I have a tiny budget. I want an instrument that's going to give me a decent action and sound. I know, I know, I really should be playing on something better than the Kawai K-200. But that's all I can afford right now. My local dealer has one on sale for 6k, brand new. Can I do any better, or is this a good option? Also, my dealer has lifetime trade-ups, meaning this 6k will apply to any other piano I choose to trade up for in the future. Thanks,

Toby

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TFF
Hello all. For some context, I am playing Chopin's Ballades, Liszt's Transcendental Etudes, other pieces of the same caliber. I've been playing on a digital piano my entire life. I have a tiny budget. I want an instrument that's going to give me a decent action and sound. I know, I know, I really should be playing on something better than the Kawai K-200. But that's all I can afford right now. My local dealer has one on sale for 6k, brand new. Can I do any better, or is this a good option? Also, my dealer has lifetime trade-ups, meaning this 6k will apply to any other piano I choose to trade up for in the future. Thanks,

Toby

I would go for it. If you have been playing on a digital your entire life, you're going to be overwhelmed by the saturation of color in the sound of an acoustic piano--your home will suddenly become alive. The pedals will take some getting used to as well--the tones bleed togehter almost effortlessly on acoustic pianos vs a digital, which only gives the "effect" of sustain.

I only worry about the upright action--especially with repertoire as advanced as that. A K-200 will only take you so far, and it will be extremely difficult to get the dynamics and articulation down on an upright piano. Doesn't matter that there is ABS carbon or whatever it's called.

Is there any chance you could spring for a used grand? It will change the way you think about your technique. Everything is so much more natural and WAY easier to control. Nothing is faster than gravity

T
TFF Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I am well aware of the advantages of a grand, but every one I've tried in my price range has been low in quality and honestly, I don't have room for a grand.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Theoretically, for $6K you should be able to buy a used upright that is taller than the K-200 and more satisfying to play given the repertoire you are working on. But any upright is going to have limitations compared to a good grand.

I'm pretty sure you can do better - but don't know where you live or what is available in your area.

What digital piano are you currently playing on?

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
TFF - if you don’t have space for a grand, I don’t see much point spending a lot of time looking at them. But as regards uprights, I think you could possibly find something in your price range that’s used (but not too old) that may be better for you than the Kawai 200. How many upright pianos have you tried? Are you willing to explore the private sales market? How much do you want the piano NOW (vs how willing are you to wait and search?)
If you let folks know your location, there are a number of members who are good at scoping out the local-to-you market for things that may be of potential interest.
Ultimately, I suspect that the piano you buy will not be your ‘forever’ piano. That’s fine. It just means that you need to weigh a lot of things to determine the piano that’s best for you today, given your current priorities. This may well be the Kawai K200.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If you're going to put in a ton of intensive practice time, a new piano isn't a bad idea. Do plan for a thorough service to touch up regulation and voicing, maybe a year in. $6k might get you a used U1 or K300/500 that is less than 10-15 years old, and those might be more satisfying musically/tonally and still reliable. I just sold a 15 year old 51" European upright for just under $10k, so that rung of instruments is probably not attainable in your budget. Most used grands at the $6k price point are entry level pianos, or old, or worn, or all of the above.

If you've been spending 100% of your practice time on a digital with some big repertoire, this is probably going to feel like starting over (if your goal is to perform that stuff at a high artistic level...not just playing the notes). Your digital action all clicking/clunky from doing that, all the time?

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TFF
I am well aware of the advantages of a grand, but every one I've tried in my price range has been low in quality and honestly, I don't have room for a grand.
It all depends on the grand and the upright.You may be lucky and find a baby grand that has been a "sleeping beauty" not played much where the action(with a good regulation) may still be good and it actually funtions better than a new upright, but it is unlikely.Are sure you cannot raise your budget and acquire a K300? You would probably get a bigger sound out of the instrument as well.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The Kawai 200 sounds like a very choice at that price.Later trade in for a better instrument.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Ticklethedawn
Is there any chance you could spring for a used grand? It will change the way you think about your technique. Everything is so much more natural and WAY easier to control. Nothing is faster than gravity

For those for whom the upright action is limiting but don't have space/money for a good grand, it may be an idea to look into Feurich's new KAMM action adaptation: https://www.feurich.com/en/innovation/high-speed-kamm-action/ (see youtube video on that page).

I haven't tried this myself, but it seems an interesting option. Apparently it can be installed in any upright, it is 600 euros, and it works surprisingly well according to scientific measurements by the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna.

T
TFF Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I've been using the Yamaha P-515 with the NWX action. I also play on grands and baby grands regularly at piano lessons / recitals and competitions. Thanks for all the help! I am also looking at the K-300 now, and possibly considering trying to fit a grand.

Online Content

Here are some videos that may be helpful.....

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Online Content

Also - $6.000 is approximately 20% off the SMP (Suggested Maximum Price) of a K-200 ($7,590). That's a good deal but not necessarily a great one. Still, there is the 10 year new piano warranty as well as the full trade up provision - which are both desirable.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/kawai/

Last edited by Carey; 01/06/22 02:41 AM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I think it's not just a question of what you can afford, but what you can afford that is available to you. With some luck, at the right place and time, there may be fantastic, used pianos that can be had for much less than $6k.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
S
S
buy a used taller one.

Yamaha P-125 --> Yamaha YUS1TA2 --> ?Grand Piano?
T
TFF Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Is 48" tall enough?

Online Content

Originally Posted by TFF
Is 48" tall enough?
You probably wouldn't want to go any lower than that UNLESS you were considering a used 45" Charles Walter vertical (which can perform as well as a 48" upright due to its overall design).

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
T
TFF Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you. If I were willing to raise my budget, what would your opinion be? My dealer is willing to part with a new K300 for about 8500. Would I be better off looking for a used upright, or a grand? To be honest, I'm just rather afraid of getting a lesser instrument, and would much rather have a quality piano rather than jump for a used deal.

Online Content

Originally Posted by TFF
Thank you. If I were willing to raise my budget, what would your opinion be? My dealer is willing to part with a new K300 for about 8500. Would I be better off looking for a used upright, or a grand? To be honest, I'm just rather afraid of getting a lesser instrument, and would much rather have a quality piano rather than jump for a used deal.
I understand your concerns. $8,500 for the new K-300 is a "slightly" better deal than the one you were offered for the K-200 (23% off the SMP of $10,990). I bought my K-500 five years ago for $8K, which was about 35% off the SMP at that time. It may very well be possible to find a lightly used upright or grand that, if given a clean bill of health by an independent piano tech, could serve you well for many years. We can probably help you better if you tell us where you are located. Depending on what is available in your area, the K-300 might be your best option - but only if you really like the way it sounds and plays.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
T
TFF Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm in a rather isolated part of the US, in Albuquerque, New Mexico. There's only a handful of dealers in the entire state, regardless of manufacturer.

Online Content

Originally Posted by TFF
I'm in a rather isolated part of the US, in Albuquerque, New Mexico. There's only a handful of dealers in the entire state, regardless of manufacturer.
Ok - that helps - and I better understand what you are up against. I checked Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace listings for Albuquerque and Santa Fe as well as the websites of two larger piano stores. It may take some patience, but I think you will eventually be able to find something satisfactory in your price range. Since you are also willing to consider grands at this point, I'd encourage you to step back and approach your search with a fresh perspective. You might want to revisit all of your local stores again and "audition" as many upright and grand pianos (near your price range) as possible. There is a private sale 1982 6.5" Knabe grand listed on the Santa Fe Craigslist for $5,000 which might be worth a look. Just saying. If you want to extend your search to the Phoenix area, I can be a big help to you there.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission