2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3184718 01/13/22 04:48 AM
OP Offline
Hi, I'm new here, been surfing this site for a couple of months and this is my first time posting here.

First off I'm 31, I have never touched a Piano in all my life, I have a niece who was an upright (Don't know which brand) who will teach me, I've been looking on youtube of young folks playing acoustic grands/baby grands, they also remixed anime/video game music and they got my inspired laugh so I thought of giving a try, I will only play for hobby mind you, not an expert/professional by any means, maybe I will make something decent in the the 5 years who knows.

Anyway here at Malta the only stores (online) I know of are brincat pianos and olimpus music (never visited them)

So what I'm asking do piano/music shops contain personal rooms you can rent? here at Malta hopefully.

If not is there anywhere in Malta where you can rent a room with a Piano in it?

Lastly is the Steinway D-274 only available in concerts? are there rent able rooms with such concert grands for practice/get a taste of them? (talking about worldwide here not just on Malta and I don't intend to buy such a Piano obviously, no room and too expensive)

As I said I am merely a hobbyist, who want to play for fun, maybe I might consider buying a grand that is above baby grand one day in the future, maybe 7 to 10 years, somewhere around 180/200 cm hopefully.

I am looking for a Bosendorfer personally, I heard they're good and not overrated like the Steinways, I also heard that Shigeru Kawai is worth looking for but that's not for now of course, right now I'd let my niece to allow me to play her upright and when I feel ready I'l rent a room with a grand piano and test my fingers on it.

K
K
If you are wealthy enough then buy what you like the look at because as a starter player anything half decent will provide enough scope to learn to play. There are thousands of pianos out there free however. I would first ask in you local vicinity for people and places that already house a piano. Of course shops selling these will know of ... musicians, teachers, and individual places like halls and churches etc that have pianos and point you in that direction.
The other side is playing and learning for the simple enjoyment, then most proper digital (with headphones) will suffice with which you can enjoy your little hobby, others around you will not have to also endure the inevitable results.

Have fun smile

Andy

OP Offline
I am by no means rich, I'm no millionaire and neither is my niece or anyone I personally know of, besides I have no intention of buying a Piano anytime soon.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by LavaWave
I am by no means rich, I'm no millionaire and neither is my niece or anyone I personally know of, besides I have no intention of buying a Piano anytime soon.

If you are serious in wanting to play, you need to commit to practicing almost every day. Therefore, it would be best to own your own piano. It does not need to be an expensive brand.

OP Offline
The biggest room I have in my house is this

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In the future I intend to make that room as my own and replace the double bed with a single bed in the future and buy a piano that is a bit above baby grand maybe 190-200 cm hopefully it will fit but idk right now.

I live with 4 people, my parents and my sister and my sisters great friend that due to circumstances he moved in with us.

My parents are old and they won't live for long but once yhey pass away, they will give me that room.

It doesn't seem feasible at the moment to buy one, which is why I'd rather rent a room for practice for now.

Last edited by LavaWave; 01/13/22 12:07 PM.
Originally Posted by dogperson
If you are serious in wanting to play, you need to commit to practicing almost every day. Therefore, it would be best to own your own piano. It does not need to be an expensive brand.
In the opening post, the OP asked what kinds of renting opportunities might exist in Malta, in order to play on a rented piano. I had a situation before I got a piano again, where I looked into the option due to a particular situation. For a fee, I could rent time on one of the pianos at the local Yamaha store. They had pianos downstairs where lessons were held, including a lovely grand. I think that is what LavaWave is thinking of. But I'm in Canada, not Malta.

LavaWave, could you check in your city, perhaps at piano stores? Might your niece or local teachers be able to give you leads, or they might know someone who knows of rental possibilities?

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
The biggest room I have in my house is this

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In the future I intend to make that room as my own and replace the double bed with a single bed in the future and buy a piano that is a bit above baby grand maybe 190-200 cm hopefully it will fit but idk right now.

I live with 4 people, my parents and my sister and my sisters great friend that due to circumstances he moved in with us.

My parents are old and they won't live for long but once yhey pass away, they will give me that room.

It doesn't seem feasible at the moment to buy one, which is why I'd rather rent a room for practice for now.
Why don’t you take a measurement of that queen sized bed and then you could get an estimate of what size piano may fit. Better yet have your mother stand on top of it and take a measurement to approximately where her nose is to get a sense of how much room you will need for the lid- assuming you are considering a baby grand.

OP Offline
See that cabinet, I intend to put a grand in a corner not in the center, facing diagonally, there might be enough space then, hopefully.

Ofcourse I meant remove the cabinet from there to begin with and replace the double bed with a single bed and put in on the other corner of the room, that should free up space.

Last edited by LavaWave; 01/13/22 12:27 PM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by dogperson
In the opening post, the OP asked what kinds of renting opportunities might exist in Malta, in order to play on a rented piano. I had a situation before I got a piano again, where I looked into the option due to a particular situation. For a fee, I could rent time on one of the pianos at the local Yamaha store. They had pianos downstairs where lessons were held, including a lovely grand. I think that is what LavaWave is thinking of. But I'm in Canada, not Malta.

LavaWave, could you check in your city, perhaps at piano stores? Might your niece or local teachers be able to give you leads, or they might know someone who knows of rental possibilities?

Do you think that renting a practice space is financially desirable as a relatively long term plan? I’m assuming it would be $10 per hour, but would not be surprised at a higher amount

$10 per day x25 days per month = $250 per month.

Serms more cost effective would be rent-to-own or a pre-owned upright

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
See that cabinet, I intend to put a grand in a corner not in the center, facing diagonally, there might be enough space then, hopefully.

Ofcourse I meant remove the cabinet from there to begin with and replace the double bed with a single bed and put in on the other corner of the room, that should free up space.
How exciting! Kinda stinks that you have to wait a little while. Do you have a walk in closet? Perhaps you could stick your parents in there for the meanwhile. Think vertically. Bunk beds would go a long way. But then again where would you put your clothes?

OP Offline
lol I'l put the cabinet in some corner, somewhere, there will be enough space I think.

The corners would be big enough I think to place the essentials in them.

Do you think that renting a practice space is financially desirable as a relatively long term plan? I’m assuming it would be $10 per hour, but would not be surprised at a higher amount

$10 per day x25 days per month = $250 per month.

Serms more cost effective would be rent-to-own or a pre-owned upright

I might not go everyday, perhaps once a week or twice maybe, I do have work starting from 7:00 til 4:00 Monday to Friday, thankfully due to COVID we get telework one day each week, in my case it's Thursday.

Last edited by LavaWave; 01/13/22 01:23 PM.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Welcome to the forum! It’s not every day someone from Malta stops by.

Totally off topic. Did you ever read “V” by Thomas Pynchon? A lot of the novel is set in Malta.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by LarryK
Welcome to the forum! It’s not every day someone from Malta stops by.

Totally off topic. Did you ever read “V” by Thomas Pynchon? A lot of the novel is set in Malta.

Nope never did, thanks for mentioning.

@LavaWave - Having seen your room, I think you could fit in a DP of some kind. Then your question might involve advice on selection, and there are also quite a few discussions with info on that already.

I might not go everyday, perhaps once a week or twice maybe ....

The way learning from practice works, esp. since you're training your body and your senses in coordination with your mind a kind of 3-way - It works cumulatively. That is, if you work on a thing in a good way for say 15 minutes, then your body-mind system starts rewiring itself to remember. It adds up. It lays down pathways which refine themselves. 1X or 2X does not allow that to happen. If you were to practise 3 hours/day once a week or twice a week, this would give you less than if you practise 15-20 minutes every day because of what else happens. It's better for you to get some kind of piano in your home so that you can get at it every day.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
More importantly, what is your cat’s name? 😂😂😂

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Originally Posted by Jethro
Do you have a walk in closet? Perhaps you could stick your parents in there for the meanwhile.

Seriously, I hope you're joking. An emoticon like a wink or laughing face might help. wink

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I agree with keystring, it's much better to practice a few minutes every day than an hour twice a week. Buying a digital piano is going to be less expensive than paying for practice rooms and digital pianos take very little space. You can place one along a wall and it takes less space than a cabinet or drawer.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by Jethro
Do you have a walk in closet? Perhaps you could stick your parents in there for the meanwhile.

Seriously, I hope you're joking. An emoticon like a wink or laughing face might help. wink
I never joke smirk

OP Offline
The cats name is Molly and I prefer an acoustic, thinking about getting an upright for the short-medium term now.

Still one question I still have is the Steinway D-274 only available at concerts or are there some rentable practice rooms with them? for people who want to get a taste of it at least once?

Last edited by LavaWave; 01/13/22 03:14 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The cats name is Molly
Thank you from a crazy cat mom, LOL!

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission