2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Nothing currently makes my blood boil more than hearing a sentence like: "It sounded beautiful. But that's not how you play Mozart."

It sounds beautiful? Thank you. Period. That's all that matters, ever. Be it Bach with pedal, Mozart with slightly louder fortes, Beethoven with a bit more rubato.

Even the more abstract ideas like "The struggle in Beethoven", "the carelessness and lightness of Mozart" etc. are constructs, and these composers themselves wanted, most of all, their works to be played with passion and in an interesting manner... not in the manner that they themselves might have played it in.

And god only knows what Bach would've wanted to do on a modern piano. All I know is that if Bach would be resurrected today and attend a masterclass where the teacher scolds the students for using "too much pedal", despite the result not sounding bad, Bach would promptly end himself once again.

It is ridiculous, horrible and unacceptable to do this with music. With art.

V
V
Haha - can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought the same thing. In recent years however, I’ve become stricter with myself re historical performance practice. I was always taught how to play each style of music “correctly” - but it was never explained to me why/how this improves the quality of the performance. Now that I understand those benefits I follow ”the rules” more closely.

Don’t get me wrong - I actually really appreciate when a performer takes a piece of music and plays it in a new and updated way. As you said, it may not be historically accurate but if sounds good/interesting, why not! We do it with every other art form, why not classical music. But I think it’s important to understand and be able to apply “the rules” before you go breaking them - so I get where these teachers are coming from smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think it's part of what makes classical music so dead. Classical musicians treat pieces of music like sculptures or paintings - unchanging, eternal, perfect pieces of art that were conceived once in the composers mind and have to be faithfully reproduced by the performer. But music is not like that. Music is a living art. Music can be, music should be, created anew everytime. Non-classical musical traditions approach performance in a completely different manner, where a piece of music is more of a template on which you can add and vary as much as you like. I think that's partly what makes these traditions more alive compared to classical music.

I'm not sure where you guys are coming from. In my perception, the ways in which classical music should be performed are forever being reconsidered, revised, and reinvented. Just listen to recordings of, say, 30 years ago, and be amazed at the enormous differences with modern recordings. If anything, there are more different approaches nowadays than there have ever been.

Edit: Case in point: listen to this Beethoven 5th conducted by Teodor Currentzis.

Last edited by Ostinato; 01/14/22 05:00 AM.
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by CianistAndPomposer
Nothing currently makes my blood boil more than hearing a sentence like: "It sounded beautiful. But that's not how you play Mozart."

It sounds beautiful? Thank you. Period. That's all that matters, ever. Be it Bach with pedal, Mozart with slightly louder fortes, Beethoven with a bit more rubato.

Even the more abstract ideas like "The struggle in Beethoven", "the carelessness and lightness of Mozart" etc. are constructs, and these composers themselves wanted, most of all, their works to be played with passion and in an interesting manner... not in the manner that they themselves might have played it in.

And god only knows what Bach would've wanted to do on a modern piano. All I know is that if Bach would be resurrected today and attend a masterclass where the teacher scolds the students for using "too much pedal", despite the result not sounding bad, Bach would promptly end himself once again.

It is ridiculous, horrible and unacceptable to do this with music. With art.

Well I think it is an interesting and frequent issue when playing old music for which we have only written testimonies that we have to interpret within our modern point of view. So I would both agree and disagree with you. And certainly I think that any strict dogmatic point of view is never a good thing, that be in music or in any other area.

No interpretation has to be fully historically compliant, and to a large extent, none of the modern piano interpretation of Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven really are, just because we are using a modern piano which anyway sounds very different than the model the composer used. Certainly for Bach who composed for instruments far removed from a modern piano, any modern version is a form of "arrangement".

That said, there are stylistic patterns which are characteristic of each period. You can play Mozart like Chopin if you like and the result can be quite good, but on the other hand it is fair to say that it is not faithfull to the classical style. I personally believe pedal is necessary when playing Bach, but too much does not yield good results either. I believe each piece has an inner structure that puts some limits as to what one can do.

The main issue and which makes the topic difficult is the question of balance. How far can one go before it becomes so removed from the original intention that it is not anymore what the composer intended. For example would you play Chopin on an harpsichord ? see below, I guess it is ok but not great compared with the piano version. Would you sing Monteverdi like Puccini ?

So though I believe there is a lattitude as to what one can do, there are also limits. Often times I see amateurs taking positions without understanding what is at stake and with little musical judgement.

I remember the old versions of Bach I used to listen to, like the mass in B minor by Jochum and Klemperer. Those are inherited from the late 19th century tradition with a heavy orchestra and choir. They certainly have a certain power but they are also quite heavy and the newer versions, like the Kuijken version, are definitely working much better and conveying a much more intense sense of passion.

Blüthner model 6
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
I think it's part of what makes classical music so dead. Classical musicians treat pieces of music like sculptures or paintings - unchanging, eternal, perfect pieces of art that were conceived once in the composers mind and have to be faithfully reproduced by the performer.
I must respectfully disagree with the above statement.

Sculptures, paintings, plays and music were conceived (at least once if not many times given the number of evident changes to a painting, manuscript or score) as a result of the artist's life experience in a given era. The references in those works speak of the contemporaneous morals, ethics, knowledge, wisdom, language and style. With a bit of knowledge of those topics in historical context we can experience a level of appreciation of the art that is in addition to the artistic impact it has on us as we interpret a painting or a play or a piece of music with our own personal and unique contemporaneous life experience.

We, the viewer or listener of art bring it to life. The painter or composer of a play or of a piece of music produces only half the experience.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I think it would wonderful to hear a performer today read the opening of the english epic poem Beowulf to an audience without having studied the history or lexicon or the script symbology. I am sure they would bring a 'fresh' modern interpretation to a dead work.

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

I am all with you. The existing scores are for us to play around with as we please. The one place though, in which this remark is valid, is the piano school. In school, it is good to learn the proper technique and other rules of how to play Mozart. Outside of school, everybody is totally free.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by prout
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
I think it's part of what makes classical music so dead. Classical musicians treat pieces of music like sculptures or paintings - unchanging, eternal, perfect pieces of art that were conceived once in the composers mind and have to be faithfully reproduced by the performer.
I must respectfully disagree with the above statement.

Sculptures, paintings, plays and music were conceived (at least once if not many times given the number of evident changes to a painting, manuscript or score) as a result of the artist's life experience in a given era. The references in those works speak of the contemporaneous morals, ethics, knowledge, wisdom, language and style. With a bit of knowledge of those topics in historical context we can experience a level of appreciation of the art that is in addition to the artistic impact it has on us as we interpret a painting or a play or a piece of music with our own personal and unique contemporaneous life experience.

We, the viewer or listener of art bring it to life. The painter or composer of a play or of a piece of music produces only half the experience.
Exactly. There are thousands of good ways of interpreting any musical masterpiece that still follow the "rules" for playing classical music.

Originally Posted by Animisha

I am all with you. The existing scores are for us to play around with as we please. The one place though, in which this remark is valid, is the piano school. In school, it is good to learn the proper technique and other rules of how to play Mozart. Outside of school, everybody is totally free.
Of course, in one's own home one is free to do whatever one wants including turning the score upside down and playing it. But that does not mean what one is doing is reasonable, good, valid, intelligent, shows any understanding of music, or is respectful of the greatest composers who ever lived. Those composers mostly wrote very specific instructions for a reason. Those instructions in the score were not meant just as suggestions.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Yes. Respect is what it's about. Bach et al.'s minds are something so beyond our comprehension as to command utter awe and wonder. Do what you like but bear that in mind.

Laissez tomber les mains
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Berlioz, in his 'Symphonie Fantastique', essentially marked every note in the score, and, in some cases, wrote long instructions telling performers how to play their instrument to Belioz's satisfaction. I wrote about this years ago here on PW with examples from his score. If we were to ignore the composer's desires on how the music is to be played, why should we concern ourselves with even playing the written notes, let alone the stylistic conventions of the time?

The logical result of ignoring performance practice is to ignore all composers, ancient and modern, and only listen to and only play your own unwritten noodling at the piano.

Classical music is meant to be played according to the composers instructions in the score. One only has to listen to the countless recordings of the same piece by many different great pianists to realize that following the score still leaves room for an endless number of interpretations.

I think using pedal in Bach, Mozart with slightly louder fortes, and Beethoven with a bit more rubato all fall within a range of acceptable interpretation while still following the score. But far too many pianists, mostly amateurs IMO, think that any interpretation is valid, logical, shows musical understanding, etc. even if that interpretation is really just doing whatever they feel like. To me that's an example of lack of musical understanding and poor musicianship.

I am all with you. The existing scores are for us to play around with as we please.
My comment is based on what I heard in a master class long ago. The pupil was an accomplished conservatory student who didn't follow some significant marking in a Chopin piece. The teacher said "Imagine you were taking a lesson from Chopin and he wrote f in your copy of his piece. Would you follow his instructions?"

A
A
All I gotta say on this subject is my pet peeve is when classical musicians take some piece of revered classical music and apply a swing beat (and don't do much else) and call that jazz. A certain flute player springs to mind. Beyond fingernails on blackboard to my ears, it's just cringe inducing, equal to redoing heavy metal as easy listening (or vice versa).

Fortunately, no one is forcing me to listen to anything I don't wanna, lol.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Vanessa made an excellent point for every artist to heed: learn the rules before you start breaking them, or there's nothing impressive about what you're doing.

Beyond that though... much of the "dead" by-the-book approaches are because we - as performers - have forgotten exactly how much freedom musicians of the past had when playing music, and how much improvisation informed their art. Francois Couperin expected the performer to play his embellishments the way he wrote them, but he expected a rhythmic freedom that would shock modern players: in his books of Harpsichord music, he very rarely writes "play these notes evenly" because the norm was to play them differently than written! A toccata from Frescobaldi or Froberger has so much creative freedom from the printed paper that it's mind-boggling to those of us who are too slavish to the score. Mozart, Bach, Beethoven - great improvisers able to play in many styles. Look at the great pianists of the last centuries - even from just written accounts, they vastly differed in their approaches to the so-called "dead" score.

I have a fondness for historical approaches to playing music - I adore the Fortepiano, the harpsichord, clavichord, etc. and spend way too much time researching historical performance practices. But out of this study has come a great creative freedom in how I approach the music of these great Masters. As Vanessa said: the foundation had to be built first, and I am still learning decades later and will probably never cease. Would they care how I play their music? It depends on when they catch me - it's different every time: I'm against robotic approaches with fake emotions and calculated moods. But even then, they're dead - they did their part and we can only do ours to try to keep their great works alive as long as it brings us pleasure while we're doing so. If we lose our enjoyment by becoming slaves to the word, we're no better than religious extremists and I'm not interested in that.

Of course, this is difficult at first - it takes practice and the will to do so. But what a great freedom.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Mattardo, thank you for your precise and thoughtful contribution to this discussion. I entirely agree with you about creative freedom. This was the single most important lesson I learned in University when studying harpsichord and organ. The joy and exuberance that comes when performing early works with the freedom demanded of the music is why I continue to improvise when performing baroque rep sixty years later, and also with the works of Chopin and Brahms for example.

Ignorance of performance practice is what has given rise to the shackled approach to classical music that pervaded, and still pervades modern performance practice to some extent.

Bach and his successors expected and executed huge creative freedom in the interpretation of their score guidelines. Classical jazz is as close as we seem to want to get to Baroque performance practice. Imagine a typical critics review of a Chopin performance where the performer improvises a few extra notes or measures at the end of a piece, a la Cortôt.

I applaud everything said by Mattardo and prout. But I would remind everyone that the deep freeze of classical music is due to high fidelity electronic reproduction, starting in the 1930's. Couperin or Bach's advice was directed at fellow professional musicians from guilds or established performing families. All of them pretended to be capable of embellishments or variations. Chopin or Liszt tutored (among others) young ladies of high birth that would spread their music in their milieus, and that required more standardisation, but every live performance would be obviously different.

The day Kempff or Horowitz became best sellers on Deutsche Gramaphon et al. everybody in the world could listen repetitively to the same performance, and both comparisons and imitations became infinitely easier. Critic Consensus and/or Vox Populi choices emerged, and all the aspiring pianists in conservatories worldwide would turn on the canonical version on their hifi before even looking at the score. Gould created a gold standard for the Goldberg's that Bach would never recognise: at last Jean Rondeau put it to rest recently with his harpsichord.

Last edited by Vikendios; 01/14/22 04:59 PM.

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything.
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
The ”freeze” or whatever one want to call it is not due to HiFi or any other external cause but simply to the fact that it is historical music, a music of past generations, a legacy of a culture and social life that is long gone. At the time it was a live music. In fact by 1770, no one wanted to play nor listen to old baroque music. People wanted new and different one just like in 1830, classical style was fading away and romantic style was sweeping the continent. At the time that music was the core of what the society wanted to listen to.

Nowadays, Classical music is like old objects in a museum, they are frozen for ever. Between 1800 and 1828, it has been estimated that 44 thousands pieces were composed (probably underestimated) in Europe. We listen today to only a small % of that, the few selected top ones. But the majority were just average or less than average quality. But it was what people wanted to listen to. Today the live music of our days is pop, jazz, rock, ......

Blüthner model 6
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I think the 'social life' angle is too often neglected. We're talking cultured people here not brats who practice!

Laissez tomber les mains
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Of course, in one's own home one is free to do whatever one wants including turning the score upside down and playing it. But that does not mean what one is doing is reasonable, good, valid, intelligent, shows any understanding of music, or is respectful of the greatest composers who ever lived. Those composers mostly wrote very specific instructions for a reason. Those instructions in the score were not meant just as suggestions.

This is not at all what I mean. Any performer is free to play around with the score as they please. Respecting great composers is not the same thing as obeying them. Do with any piece whatever you like. Of course, if you are a performer, you will want to tell your audience that they will listen to a very personal interpretation. And hopefully, many will like what they hear, and you'll be acknowledged as a great musician.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.

This is not at all what I mean. Any performer is free to play around with the score as they please. Respecting great composers is not the same thing as obeying them. Do with any piece whatever you like. Of course, if you are a performer, you will want to tell your audience that they will listen to a very personal interpretation. And hopefully, many will like what they hear, and you'll be acknowledged as a great musician.
I couldn't disagree more and I am virtually certain 99% of all professional pianists would agree with me. Why did you put "performer" in bold and what was that supposed to indicate? Respecting great composers means following the instructions they put in the score.

No serious professional pianist feels they are free to "play around" with the score as they please.

Tiny, little changes are possible but if Chopin writes ff and you decide to play pp you are, in effect, saying you know more about music and the particular composition than Chopin. If you were taking a lesson from Chopin and he wrote ff in the score would you play it pp?

Following the score still allows for almost an infinite number of interpretations because, for example, rit. doesn't indicate how much to ritard and because one can do an infinite number of things not marked in the score unless they contradict what's in the score. If a composer writes a staccato marking it's up to the performer to decide on the degree of staccato. Just listen to 10 great pianists playing the same piece and they will all sound different although they are to a very high degree all following the score.

If you were free to go to a big museum with some paint and adjust(repaint) part of Rembrandt you thought you could improve, would you do that? Should freedom of interpretation of music allow major changes to the notes and rhythms also.

Interpreting classical music does not mean doing whatever you want. This is an utterly false idea held mostly by non-advanced amateurs. Pianists don't(with very rare exceptions, I can only think of one in 60 years of concert going( tell their audience they are about to listen to a "very personal interpretation", That idea is just foolish.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/15/22 10:01 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pianoloverus - with all due respect, 99% of professional pianists are exactly that: professional pianists who spend 8 hours a day perfecting an emotionally contrived and calculated performance that they can repeat ad nauseam for their concert tours and recordings. This is from necessity, because generations of snobs got their jollies going to concerts or listening to recordings with a score in their lap (so to speak) to catch every little diversion from the holy score and judge accordingly. These professional pianists can be so utterly soulless and boring that there's no point in listening to their little exercises. Technically impressive? Of course. Emotionally and musically impressive? Rarely.

However one feels about Andras Schiff - a professional musician, part of that 99%, in his lectures he bemoans the fact that professional pianists have become SO professional that it's obvious they no longer have a single scrap of feeling or love for the music they are tediously repeating for the millionth time to a hushed audience. We ALL know this!

As for bowing to composers every little marking as if it's holy writ - aside from points made earlier concerning actual historical practice, when musicians played from scores and hadn't been scared by Clara Schumann into memorizing the music that they then began to robotically play at concerts (which of course began to spill over to how teachers taught): when inspiration, taste, muse, emotion and experience all came into a happy harmony allowing a free expression of music that was still alive (read of how Liszt sight-read like the devil, as did most musicians by necessity) - many composers didn't even know what the heck they wanted in the end. Like most artists, many composers would look back at their past work with a bit of disdain - every artist grows with time and experience. Beethoven was constantly releasing revisions of his own works, and Chopin? Chopin was constantly changing his own works - just witness the nightmare of even attempting an Urtext edition of Chopin - it's impossible! The list goes on and on. Composers were not infallible gods - if you believe that God spoke a holy score through Mozart, then one just needs to look at his actual autographs or read his many letters. I love Urtext editions but ONLY because they are the starting point of my personal interpretations, which are not for a snobbish group of score-checkers because thank God - I never wanted to be a professional concert pianist. I've known plenty of them to see what it has done to their love of music: it's just a job. It's the rare professional pianist brave enough to let go and just play their heart out. It's usually reserved for performers specializing on period instruments - paradoxically enough!

Nobody here is guilt of your accusation: "Interpreting classical music does not mean doing whatever you want" - that seems to be a gross misreading of what has been said in this thread. I get where you're coming from - we've all been there. But categorizing other posters thoughts on the matter as "foolish" or "amateurs" is a little....short-sighted, to say the least?

Originally Posted by Mattardo
Nobody here is guilt of your accusation: "Interpreting classical music does not mean doing whatever you want" - that seems to be a gross misreading of what has been said in this thread. I get where you're coming from - we've all been there. But categorizing other posters thoughts on the matter as "foolish" or "amateurs" is a little....short-sighted, to say the least?
I will comment on the earlier part of this post later but in reference to the above paragraph here's what one poster wrote:
"Any performer is free to play around with the score as they please. Respecting great composers is not the same thing as obeying them. Do with any piece whatever you like. Of course, if you are a performer, you will want to tell your audience that they will listen to a very personal interpretation."

This clearly shows some posters think interpretation means doing what ever you want. (And I think there were other posters on this thread expressing a similar opinion.) Who cares if it's reasonable, shows musical understanding, makes even a minimal attempt to follow the score, shows knowledge of historical performance practice, etc.?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/15/22 11:28 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I agree with pianoloverus. There should be, and are, reasonable limits on the license with which a performer can exercise an interpretation of a written work. Public opinion, in any era, is the final arbiter.

Cortôt's knowledge of Chopin's ideas on interpretation came directly from a student of Chopin. Chopin, as indicated elsewhere in the discussion, confused editors, in some cases, by sending different scores of the same work to editors in Germany and in France. This 'freedom', along with Cortôt's understanding of Chopin's desires through his student, allowed him and others to modify, to some small extent, the actual notes, and, in some cases, the structure, of a work. This was applauded and expected by the 'live' audience of the day.

Last edited by prout; 01/15/22 11:55 AM.
Pianoloverus - with all due respect, 99% of professional pianists are exactly that: professional pianists who spend 8 hours a day perfecting an emotionally contrived and calculated performance that they can repeat ad nauseam for their concert tours and recordings. This is from necessity, because generations of snobs got their jollies going to concerts or listening to recordings with a score in their lap (so to speak) to catch every little diversion from the holy score and judge accordingly. These professional pianists can be so utterly soulless and boring that there's no point in listening to their little exercises. Technically impressive? Of course. Emotionally and musically impressive? Rarely.

However one feels about Andras Schiff - a professional musician, part of that 99%, in his lectures he bemoans the fact that professional pianists have become SO professional that it's obvious they no longer have a single scrap of feeling or love for the music they are tediously repeating for the millionth time to a hushed audience. We ALL know this!
I really couldn't disagree more.

1. The best(and even some of the not so great) pianists of today and the past don't sound emotionally contrived and calculated. Some perform their repertoire pretty much the same way once they've decided on an interpretation while some claim to play quite differently depending on their mood or other factors. Either way I find nothing "soulless and boring so that there's little point to listening to their exercises". I find the best pianists both emotionally and musically extremely impressive...just the opposite of your opinion. And this applies to some pieces I've heard countless times.

2. Before your post I have never heard anyone claim that the fidelity to the score popular today and for at least the last 80 years(probably more) has anything to do with "generations of snobs got their jollies going to concerts or listening to recordings with a score in their lap (so to speak) to catch every little diversion from the holy score and judge accordingly." I have attended recitals for 60 years. I rarely see someone following along with a score, and if they are doing so I doubt it's because they're trying to catch some deviation. I think it's because they want to learn something from the pianist's performance.

3. I would have to see the Schiff interview to hear what he said in context. I doubt he feels his own performances lack feeling or love for the music. To me, it's obvious watching many of today's pianists(and not only the one's showing obvious visible emotion) that many of them are incredibly emotionally involved with the music they play and have a great love for it. I have also attended at least 100 master classes and the teachers' love for the music they are teaching is undeniable.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
In praise of freedom of interpretation, I offer the following example of a Louis Couperin unmeasured prelude, one of many written in the era (late J.S. Bach). It offers up an infinite variety of interpretations. It was not expected to be slavishly followed and never expected to be performed the same way twice (horror of horrors).

That being said, without studying the historic performance practices of the era, no one today would have any idea what Couperin was writing about. The emotional intensity of the music, the ability to convey those emotions to an attentive audience was hidden in the stylistic conventions of the time, not in the ink splotches on the page.

[Linked Image]

Edit. This is the last page of the prélude, not the entire work.

Last edited by prout; 01/15/22 01:54 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
Pop musicians like Elton John don't usually play & sing the same songs the exact same way. Bygone composers like Bach would embellish church hymns to make them sound more interesting. I don't think great composers like Chopin, Brahms & Liszt would compose a piece for piano, write the notes on paper and assume it is the 1 final version. Composers would often play their own pieces in different variations.

Yesterday I watched a video uploaded by a piano teacher (Chinese) on what to expect in a piano exam. She didn't specify the music program (probably ABRSM) or the grade level. She said that students are expected to play 3 pieces representing 3 periods of Western Classical music including Baroque, Classical & Romantic and 1 piece of the student's own choosing. Marks will be given to note accuracy and the correct rhythm. Part of the mark will be for playing a piece in the style appropriate to the period meaning you wouldn't play a piece of Bach like Chopin. However, there are exceptions. In the past Bach pieces were performed on a harpsichord / clavichord without foot pedals. A piano is a different instrument and should be treated as such so many musicians use sustain pedal to enhance pieces.

A lot of young students who have a teacher have limited knowledge or experience in music. They would get into pieces by dead Western composers after learning the basics and reproduce pieces taught by the teacher like every other student. The Suzuki method is well-know for students copying off each other learning approach. Everybody learn the same pieces, perform them in year-end recitals in similar ways. Suzuki doesn't encourage students playing original pieces or even performances that sounded different from other performances of the same pieces. Every student has the talent for music and can be taught to be "musical" the Suzuki way which is like factory standardization.

M
M
I am an amateur so that gives me some advantage. I don't do competitions , I don't have to pass exams. Mozart I play is MY Mozart and so is Bach. I use a lot of strong accents in Mozart and I do use the occasional pedal in Bach. My piano teacher doesn't agree with any of those but respectfully I don't care. My Mozart, my Bach, why else should I play?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by marklings
I am an amateur so that gives me some advantage. I don't do competitions , I don't have to pass exams. Mozart I play is MY Mozart and so is Bach. I use a lot of strong accents in Mozart and I do use the occasional pedal in Bach. My piano teacher doesn't agree with any of those but respectfully I don't care. My Mozart, my Bach, why else should I play?
Playing music for yourself is an intensely personal and rewarding experience. In my opinion, it it the best way to experience music, either previously written, or extemporized. You get to forget yourself, forget the world and its troubles, and commune with the composer, or with your own spirit. You get to listen to the superb resonance and interplay of all the pitches and noises of the piano. You are transported. It is a transcendent experience. No one can take that from you.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...] Of course, if you are a performer, you will want to tell your audience that they will listen to a very personal interpretation. And hopefully, many will like what they hear, and you'll be acknowledged as a great musician.

Why should you need to "tell your audience" the subjective quality of the performance that they are going to hear? Should the music/performance not speak for itself?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
"You play Bach your way, I'll play him his way." whome wow ha

Thus spake.........not Zarathustra, but Wanda L.

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...] Of course, if you are a performer, you will want to tell your audience that they will listen to a very personal interpretation. And hopefully, many will like what they hear, and you'll be acknowledged as a great musician.

Why should you need to "tell your audience" the subjective quality of the performance that they are going to hear? Should the music/performance not speak for itself?

Regards,
thumb

And is this not what the OP's, who, I have noticed, has run for the hills, original point?

My problem with the idea of ignoring historic performance practice, and not bothering to study what makes Bach Bach, Mozart Mozart, Poulenc Poulenc and so on, is this.

Does this 'ignorant' performer's music all converge on a 'personal interpretation' that in the end all sounds alike - akin to mush?

If your teacher doesn't agree with something you do, he should explain why(does he?). Then you have a choice to make based on some additional musical understanding that you may or may not agree with. But it's possible that with additional insight you might change your approach even if playing just for your own enjoyment.There is not one correct way to play a piece of classical music. But that does not mean "anything goes" is a good approach which is what some posters on this thread seem to believe.

In master classes, it's usually pretty obvious when the teacher is making an optional suggestion as opposed to just correcting the student. And even conservatory students do sometimes play in a way that after the teacher's explanation is seen to be obviously wrong. IOW some things the student does are more clearly "wrong" at least at the professional level. If one is just playing for oneself, one is free to do whatever one wants but that does not mean it makes sense musically.

I think only a small number of teachers or
professional pianists today would say that occasional
use of pedal in Bach is wrong. One would have to hear how you play Mozart to make a judgement about your strong accents. If a good teacher heard you play Mozart and felt you over accented the music, they would try to explain why they felt your approach was wrong and then you would have additional insight to use.

T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
The last 2 pieces I played during the Christmas break were arrangements for piano so wouldn’t sound 100% like the original. The things I worked on were the notes, rhythm & a fast enough tempo. The rest can be as personal as the way I choose to play… even changing a few notes.

Regards,
thumb

And is this not what the OP's, who, I have noticed, has run for the hills, original point?

My problem with the idea of ignoring historic performance practice, and not bothering to study what makes Bach Bach, Mozart Mozart, Poulenc Poulenc and so on, is this.

Does this 'ignorant' performer's music all converge on a 'personal interpretation' that in the end all sounds alike - akin to mush?
I certainly agree.

But I think the even bigger concept here is that playing classical music does not just mean being able to technically play the notes and then adopting a "do whatever I want" interpretation.

There are the composer's markings besides the notes and rhythm and, just as important, an understanding of how music should be played. To me, playing consists of two parts: technique and musicianship(musical understanding). I think some posters on this thread think whatever they want to do is automatically indicative of good musical understanding and that all "interpretations" are equally good.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
If all interpretations were equally good, there would be no work for critics, no choices to be made by audiences as to which performer they would want to hear, and no need for Piano World to offer up forums for this type of discussion.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

What is the basis for this statement? I have never read anything to the effect the Mozart and Beethoven wanted other people to play their works in a manner different from their own playing. For myself, part of the joy of playing the piano is to realise with my own fingers the great masterpieces that these masters composed. I am in awe and admiration of them. Why would I try to "improve" them with my own paltry efforts? As has been remarked at length above, there is plenty of scope for realising one's own interpretation in terms of subtleties which are not actually notated in the score. When I play the Haydn sonata I am currently studying, I have an image in my mind of the interpretation that I am trying to realise. I might listen to recordings by Brendel and other pianists, and decide that my intended interpretation is superior in subtle ways. Of course, whether I can actually realise this interpretation is another matter!

Playing around with the score in more substantial ways is of no interest to me. Why should I want to do that? Haydn is a greater composer than David-G. Other people may of course feel differently, and they are quite free to do so.

People are a product of their age. Mozart revered Handel, but "modernised" his music for performance. The Romantics romanticised Don Giovanni. The present age is marked by a quest for "authenticity" (which has given rise to the period-instrument movement). Perhaps my own non-interest in playing around with composers' scores originates from having been imbued with this quest for authenticity. And indeed, I get great joy from playing Mozart and Haydn on the fortepiano. The music seems to come alive to a much greater extent than on the modern piano. There seem to be so many more possibilities for constructing an interpretation.

Mozart of course expected pianists to write their own cadenzas for his concertos, and to supply subtle decoration in repeats of sonata movements or opera arias. I observe an interesting dilemma here. I am in great admiration of pianists like Robert Levin who can improvise a complex and virtuosic cadenza on the spot. It is a thrilling experience. However, if I am candid, I have to admit that when I here decorated repeats in Mozart recordings, I often find that the inspiration of the decoration does not live up to the inspiration of Mozart. And so I may find it more rewarding to listen to the true Mozartian inspiration of the undecorated music - even though I am aware that this is not actually how Mozart would have played it.

Last edited by David-G; 01/15/22 08:32 PM.
M
M
[quote=marklings]... If one is just playing for oneself, one is free to do whatever one wants but that does not mean it makes sense musically.

Don't argue with that. Just who will be the judge of how musically sensible a passage is ? I am not ignoring all the "sensible" performances, I listen to a lot of performance while studying. In the end I make my own decisions; I follow my own sensibility, as stupid as that might be.

And as prout put it, that to me is

intensely personal and rewarding experience

[quote=marklings]... If one is just playing for oneself, one is free to do whatever one wants but that does not mean it makes sense musically.

Don't argue with that. Just who will be the judge of how musically sensible a passage is ?
Just like there are pianists whose technique is clearly superior to your technique and almost everyone else's, there are pianists whose musical understanding is extremely high. They are the ones who after explaining something one thinks "that makes a lot of sense but I didn't realize that."

They can explain in convincing terms why their musical choices makes sense(not mecessarily meaning they think there only one way to play any passage) and their explanations are clear and convincing. There are also many accepted general musical ideas understood by the best pianists but not always known by lesser pianists. These pianists with great musical understanding(or at least much greater understanding than their students) are the ones whose thoughts on your musical decisions you should at least seriously consider.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/16/22 09:44 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Regards,

Bruce, just the decent thing to do. If I use a heavy metal band to accompany my rendition of Satie's Gymnopédie 1, I would like the public to have some awareness of this when they purchase a ticket to my show.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Just had to play the Nutcracker Suite arranged for strings! How insane is that? sick

Laissez tomber les mains
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Image hearing the Holberg Suite played on the piano. Horrors!

Oh, wait a minute...

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Did that for a wedding and just did the string arrangement (by Grieg) last month.

Laissez tomber les mains
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Oh bad bad Sting! Shame on you! You were disrespectful towards Prokofiev. He would turn in his grave if he would hear what you did with Romance from his Lieutenant Kijé. You think that Russians is a good pop song?
No no no no no! It is just...

MUSH

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Never liked him. What was with the lute for christ's sake?

Laissez tomber les mains
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Oh bad bad Sting! Shame on you! You were disrespectful towards Prokofiev. He would turn in his grave if he would hear what you did with Romance from his Lieutenant Kijé. You think that Russians is a good pop song?

MUSH

I like Sting and love his attempts at lute and Dowland and I own his 'Songs from the Labyrinth'. It shows maturity and courage and willingness to try new approaches to music.

I think you are missing the point some of us are trying to make. I own an extensive jazz collection and listen only to jazz at home. My wife and I love the infinite variety of takes on pieces that jazz allows. We are both trained in baroque historical performance practice, made our careers in the genre and use same approach with classical repertoire as jazz musicians do with the huge variety of rep they cover. Jazz musicians conform to the style prevalent of their day, just as did Mozart.

Here is the point though. I was listening to CBC radio 2 this afternoon - all Hindemith music, and learned that his wartime experience in Germany forever changed his approach to writing music. He stated that all his music was political.

If you choose to ignore what Hindemith wrote in his music and disrespect the pouring of his soul into his music and do your own thing, then you are not a true musician working in the service of the music or the composer.

Last edited by prout; 01/16/22 02:46 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
then you are not a true musician working in the service of the music or the composer.

Yes, I miss your point because you are plain wrong. Who are you to decide who is a true musician? laugh

I will leave this discussion now, but first I'll cite what a music critic wrote about the Beatles in 1964.

Originally Posted by Boston Globe
The Beatles are not merely awful; I would consider it sacrilegious to say anything less than that they are god awful. They are so unbelievably horribly, so appallingly unmusical, so dogmatically insensitive to the magic of the art that they qualify as crowned heads of anti-music, even as the imposter popes went down in history as “anti-popes.”

then you are not a true musician working in the service of the music or the composer.

Yes, I miss your point because you are plain wrong. Who are you to decide who is a true musician? laugh

I will leave this discussion now, but first I'll cite what a music critic wrote about the Beatles in 1964.

Originally Posted by Boston Globe
The Beatles are not merely awful; I would consider it sacrilegious to say anything less than that they are god awful. They are so unbelievably horribly, so appallingly unmusical, so dogmatically insensitive to the magic of the art that they qualify as crowned heads of anti-music, even as the imposter popes went down in history as “anti-popes.”
I don't think your Beatles review by one critic has anything to do with the discussion at hand.

I completely agree with Prout and I think almost all professional musicians would agree with him also. Doing whatever one wants to or feels like is what untrained and unprofessional pianists often think interpreting a piece of music means.

All "interpretations" and musical decisions are not equal. They range from terrifically good to terrifically bad. A huge part of the training at top conservatories is about how to make good musical choices in playing a piece. The greater one's understanding of music the more likely one is to produce a good interpretation. And many things poor pianists do are not even a matter of interpretation, they are just plain wrong!

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/16/22 03:28 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Image hearing the Holberg Suite played on the piano. Horrors!

Oh, wait a minute...
thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Online Content

Why bother to take lessons then? grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Online Content

All "interpretations" and musical decisions are not equal. They range from terrifically good to terrifically bad. A huge part of the training at top conservatories is about how to make good musical choices in playing a piece. The greater one's understanding of music the more likely one is to produce a good interpretation. And many things poor pianists do are not even a matter of interpretation, they are just plain wrong!
Good summary statement. thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
As you learn more about music and playing piano, YOUR Mozart and YOUR Bach might change because you discover your previous ideas are not as good as you thought they were, and by using things you learn you can make your performance more beautiful or more convincing.

Have you ever listened to a great pianists playing one of your pieces and thought they sounded better than you and wondered why?

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S

MUSH

Your example belongs to a completely different category. Sting just borrowed the theme from Prokofiev but he made a different musical object out of it. When i listen to his song, i dont see is as an interpretation of the romance, not even an arrangement. What we are talking about is interpretation of a piece per the original score of the composer.

There is a pianist, Vikingur Olafsson, who often plays pieces by baroque or classical composers and making changes to the score but he makes it clear that those are arrangements.

Blüthner model 6
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
The nice thing about notated music is that, no matter what performers do with it, the score is still intact, and other interpreters can approach it however they want.

It is interesting that way when compared to the visual arts, where there is no performer needed to make the art real for the viewer - the artist's work is in direct contact with the audience. In comparison, what happens with notated music from origin to end result is extremely complicated and fairly elusive in nature.

T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
There is a lot that is already written on paper and a lot that isn't written down. Over the years, music experts decided how music from different genres should be played.

A common 18th century piece "Minuet in G" from the Anna M Notebook when you come to the end of a phrase with 2 long notes repeating you'd play them staccato. A typical phrase like D-G-A-B-C-D-G-G the 2 Gs at the end you hear staccato playing but it's not marked on paper. Someone in the recent past decided that an 18th century piece with a phrase that end with 2 of the same notes should be played short and every student would copy each other playing this way.

There are people on both sides of the fence. Those who play music as a hobby including myself would play according to what is written in the score and add embellishments as necessary to make the piece sound better. Others are aiming to go through conservatory grade levels would follow playing conventions to get more marks in exams. You go online and watch how other students play the piece you're working on. You see that the majority play the piece in a certain way and you assumed the tempo, dynamics, phrasing & other nuances are considered ideal and you do the same.

Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
There is a lot that is already written on paper and a lot that isn't written down. Over the years, music experts decided how music from different genres should be played.

A common 18th century piece "Minuet in G" from the Anna M Notebook when you come to the end of a phrase with 2 long notes repeating you'd play them staccato. A typical phrase like D-G-A-B-C-D-G-G the 2 Gs at the end you hear staccato playing but it's not marked on paper. Someone in the recent past decided that an 18th century piece with a phrase that end with 2 of the same notes should be played short and every student would copy each other playing this way.

There are people on both sides of the fence. Those who play music as a hobby including myself would play according to what is written in the score and add embellishments as necessary to make the piece sound better. Others are aiming to go through conservatory grade levels would follow playing conventions to get more marks in exams. You go online and watch how other students play the piece you're working on. You see that the majority play the piece in a certain way and you assumed the tempo, dynamics, phrasing & other nuances are considered ideal and you do the same.
I think this post is pure speculation, and I have never heard anyone ever express the same opinion. The two Gs you mention cannot be played legato since they are the same note and pedal would be inappropriate. They don't have to be played staccato and are often played portamemto.
The idea that students playing that piece go online to see how others play it and copy their approach seems far fetched at best.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

I don’t agree with this description of two types of students. You do not need to be taking exams or going trough conservatory to want to play classical music as intended by the composer. I am doing neither exams nor going to conservatory, but I can’t imagine going online to see how other students play and copying what they do. The score, to me, is the source, not the phrasing and dynamics chosen by a bunch of student videos. Copy if you want, but I believe it is a bad habit that limits your own learning. I take occasional lessons from a concert pianist who feels strongly that playing decisions should not be copied from online videos; he teaches his very beginning students not to develop that habit. I agree with him.

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R

I think this post is pure speculation, and I have never heard anyone ever express the same opinion. The two Gs you mention cannot be played legato since they are the same note and pedal would be inappropriate. They don't have to be played staccato and are often played portamemto.
The idea that students playing that piece go online to see how others play it and copy their approach seems far fetched at best.
That is not what I understood from the post. What the poster was saying is that most students are taught the standard way to interpret and don't deviate from it because it won't fly in competitions or auditions. This is a fair concern and one which a lot of people have voiced over the years.

M
M
Originally Posted by Carey

Trivial: I get opinions, I get a lead, from someone much better than me and with much more experience. Having your own opinion does not mean you have to become solipsistic in your musical search. It does not mean either you have to follow always.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S

My sense is that if we assume Bach was living lets say in mid 19th century, he would have composed a completely different music than what he did. So this type of argument does not lead very far. The point is that he composed music with in mind the performance practice and the type of sound he was familiar with in his time. And to an extent the way he composed his music implies a certain idea of how the piece should sound.

To the best possible extent, we have recreated based on available materials, instruments, and so on, the recommended performance practice that we believe is accurate. Experts dont actually agree on everything, and even pianists have, for some pieces, a range of interpretations, dynamics, articulation, phrasing. Clearly the way of playing Bach has evolved quite a lot, in the 19th century it was played in a romantic way, nowadays we are trying to be closer to a baroque approach. In addition, using the piano implies a form of arrangement since the type of sound produced is not something that Bach knew.

So, I believe any strictly dogmatic point of view is inapropriate. There is a range of possible interpretations, using at best the piano capabilities. But that said, There are also limits, set by the score itself but also by the aesthetics of the baroque music. As I said there is a continuum between various interpretations, it is difficult to define precisely at which point one goes to a point where it is no longer Bach exactly but an arranged version of it. I believe playing a baroque composer like a romantic one makes little sense, even if a true authentically historic version does not exist either. It is curious to see that no one would think of the opposite, playing Chopin like Bach with no pedal at all. That wouldnt make any musical sense.

Unlike modern music, playing old music is in fact extremely difficult. It implies a fair amount of knowledge in the performance practice of the time and a sound musical judgement based on years of practice as to what works and what doesnt. In the beginning we rely on our teachers to guide us to understand what is possible and what isnt. Some may have very rigid opinions about that, and I think it is not a good thing, but once the student has acquired enough skills, he can decide on his own how to adjust. That is definitely part of what learning to play classical music is all about.

Blüthner model 6
Originally Posted by ranjit

That is not what I understood from the post. What the poster was saying is that most students are taught the standard way to interpret and don't deviate from it because it won't fly in competitions or auditions. This is a fair concern and one which a lot of people have voiced over the years.
1. The poster gave an invalid reason for claiming the two Gs are played staccato (which they often are not) and I explained why he was wrong, This section was half of his post.

2. Most/many students taking piano lessons never take exams and most certainly don't enter competitions. Judges at exams and competitions are not mindless people who think there is only one way to play music.

3. The standard way to interpret a piece of music is not just something mindlessly copied from generation to generation. It is based on sound and high level musical understanding, The "standard" way of interpreting a piece still allows for endless variety of performance. Just listen to ten great pianists playing the same piece and they will all sound different although the differences will be subtle especially to a novice pianist or an untrained ear.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/17/22 08:08 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I have often wondered why a person would be satisfied performing a work without an understanding of the context in which the work was written.

Could I conduct a meaningful interpretation of Britten's 'War Requiem" without any knowledge of WWII, of Coventry, of Britten's views on fighting, of his reasons for the use of Latin text and English poetry?

It might be a pretty performance, but would leave the audience bereft of the potential impact of the work.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Just finished listening to the Pentatonix's Cover of Fleet Foxes' "White Winter Hymnal". (I like the cover better than the original.)

That being said, I did some research on the origins of the piece and it gave me a new and more thoughtful way of experiencing the performances of both versions.

Online Content

Originally Posted by Carey
My piano teacher doesn't agree with any of those but respectfully I don't care. My Mozart, my Bach, why else should I play?
Trivial: I get opinions, I get a lead, from someone much better than me and with much more experience. Having your own opinion does not mean you have to become solipsistic in your musical search. It does not mean either you have to follow always.
Got it - and thanks for introducing me to a new word today. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
OP here.

So where do I begin...

I feel like many people misunderstood what I meant. I never thought one should ignore all the directions in a piece, or the direct backstory of the piece, if one exists. My post was about performing pieces that don't have a clear instruction by the composer about the way they should be performed... instead it's just "it's Mozart" or "it's Schubert," so "it should be played in that style."

Do you think Bach would've said: "my pieces must be played in a 'baroque' way"?

Would Mozart, after writing the works he wrote shortly after his mom passed away, have said: "these pieces MUST be played with a sense of devastating grief?"

No composer would ever, ever say this about their pieces, UNLESS they had a specific idea in mind when writing it, as is the case with the "War Requiem" by Penderecki which was already mentioned here, or in any of Debussy's preludes, of Liszt's Anneés de Pelerinage, for example. I NEVER meant to say that Liszt's "Orage" for example should be played to sound like a calm summer wind.

But... I don't think that fortes should be held back in Mozart's chamber music, for example. A recent experience I had was with Mozart's g minor piano quartet that I played for an exam. Our professor told me: "This isn't Beethoven; it's Mozart. Play the fortes more with the feeling of forte, not actually loud", she said.

This is what i'm against. I'm not saying start turning adagios into prestissimos, fortes into pianissimos, single notes into octaves, etc. I'm saying stop playing Mozart like it should be Mozart, Schumann like it should be Schumann, Bach like it should be Bach. Because even though those composers were all products of their time, and the way they wrote their music reflected it, it doesn't mean that we should keep reflecting it in our time and anyone who refuses to do so, should be scolded.

In the Mozart quartet there were plenty of introspective moments, light and careless moments, and also moments that you could go all-out. My professor successfully turned this quartet into something incredibly dull, held back, castrated. Not what Mozart intended, I am sure. No artist would want that.

OP here.

So where do I begin...

I feel like many people misunderstood what I meant. I never thought one should ignore all the directions in a piece, or the direct backstory of the piece, if one exists. My post was about performing pieces that don't have a clear instruction by the composer about the way they should be performed... instead it's just "it's Mozart" or "it's Schubert," so "it should be played in that style."
But don't most pieces with the exception of Baroque keyboard music do have detailed instructions by the composer about how they should be performed?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/17/22 08:06 PM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
OP here.

So where do I begin...

But don't most pieces with the exception of Baroque keyboard music do have detailed instructions by the composer about how they should be performed?

Most of them certainly don't... the Mozart quartet I played definitely didn't have written instructions by Mozart, saying: "be chill with the fortes".

In fact, the last piece I remember playing that had detailed instructions on how to perform it, was a contemporary piece written 2 years ago.

OP here.

So where do I begin...

Most of them certainly don't... the Mozart quartet I played definitely didn't have written instructions by Mozart, saying: "be chill with the fortes".

In fact, the last piece I remember playing that had detailed instructions on how to perform it, was a contemporary piece written 2 years ago.
I really don't understand what you're getting at here.

When I talk about instructions, I mean all the tempo indications, articulation markings, dynamic markings, and verbal instructions the composer writes, i.e. everything but the notes and rhythms. Many composers leave very detailed instructions of that type.

When Mozart writes forte, he assumes the players understand it not an absolute and leaves the rest to the skill/interpretation of the players. No instructions, even very detailed ones with the exception of metronome markings, are absolute. And I doubt any composer would insist a passage be played at some exact speed.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No matter how detailed the instructions, there is usually a big part that is unwritten. The performer then 'fills in the blanks'. If they do it in a way that reinforces what is written instead of clashing with it, chances are that they will make a deeper impact on the audience. How to do it? Well... culture helps. And the technical skill to carry it out. Easy, no?

Soli Chopin gloria
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S

No composer would ever, ever say this about their pieces, UNLESS they had a specific idea in mind when writing it.

But... I don't think that fortes should be held back in Mozart's chamber music, for example. A recent experience I had was with Mozart's g minor piano quartet that I played for an exam. Our professor told me: "This isn't Beethoven; it's Mozart. Play the fortes more with the feeling of forte, not actually loud", she said.

This is what i'm against. I'm not saying start turning adagios into prestissimos, fortes into pianissimos, single notes into octaves, etc. I'm saying stop playing Mozart like it should be Mozart, Schumann like it should be Schumann, Bach like it should be Bach. Because even though those composers were all products of their time, and the way they wrote their music reflected it, it doesn't mean that we should keep reflecting it in our time and anyone who refuses to do so, should be scolded.

In my opinion you are raising but also mixing different issues together. One is a general discussion about what should be a reasonable performance practice for a historical composer and the latitude that is possible to play that music.

Another issue is the teaching of performance practice and how strict/dogmatic teachers are or should be on certain points.

For your first point, of course that every composer did compose its pieces with an intended musical outcome, which is in large part based on the musical aesthetics of their time and the performance practice/instruments that they used. Of course, 300 years later we can only approach those and a certain latitude is inevitable. There are things we know and others that we assume based on some rationale deductions. For example the fact that all of Mozart keyboard music was composed for instruments which had limited dynamic capabilities (when compared to a modern piano) and limited resonance does imply Mozart had necessarily a certain aesthetic in mind when composing these pieces.

Now does that mean we should, when playing on modern piano, forbid ourselves to use the full capability of that instrument ? I think almost any musician would answer no, as playing Mozart or Bach on a piano is a form of arrangement already but ...... on the other hand that does not mean that everything is musically possible or viable either. The performance of those composers has evolved over time, and it is necessarily rooted in the expectations of our time. I also believe that it makes generally speaking no sense to play composers outside of the aesthetic of their time. I think everybody would agree that singing Monterverdi or Palestrina like Puccini would be silly. Similarly playing Mozart like Beethoven is possible but it would also not make justice to Mozart style. Because then there is no style anymore and any piece will sound like everything else.

I dont think that anyone is scolding pianists for their choice and there is a fairly wide interpretative range for any composer. No one can say what Mozart should sound like precisely. So there isnt any precise model of what is Mozart, or Bach or Chopin, but there is an overall aesthetic model and a historical performance practice. And I certainly support that artistic choice also leads to create less uniformity, but I also believe that we should keep in mind what each composer style is as a beacon to make our personal artistic choices. I cant say that Bach played by Furtwangler or by Gould is how I see Bach, and that it is certainly not aligned with the historical performance practice, but it is a good thing that it exists. The topic is complex enough and cant be properly discussed in a forum like this. But I suggest you read what other great musicians have written on that subject, Tovey, Rosen, Donnington, Badura-Skoda, ......

As far as teaching, dogmatism is never a good thing, but I think it also make sense that teachers focus on giving you what is the current accepted performance practice, as a starting point. Any teaching is by definition based on an agreed framework. Just like at the conservatories, futur composers learn how to write model fugues. What you decide to do with this knowledge afterwards is your choice once you are equipped with the skills , the musical sense and the knowledge. You have plenty of time ahead of you to rebel against the teaching of your professors.

Blüthner model 6
Originally Posted by Sidokar

No composer would ever, ever say this about their pieces, UNLESS they had a specific idea in mind when writing it.

In my opinion you are raising but also mixing different issues together. One is a general discussion about what should be a reasonable performance practice for a historical composer and the latitude that is possible to play that music.

Another issue is the teaching of performance practice and how strict/dogmatic teachers are or should be on certain points.

For your first point, of course that every composer did compose its pieces with an intended musical outcome, which is in large part based on the musical aesthetics of their time and the performance practice/instruments that they used. Of course, 300 years later we can only approach those and a certain latitude is inevitable. There are things we know and others that we assume based on some rationale deductions. For example the fact that all of Mozart keyboard music was composed for instruments which had limited dynamic capabilities (when compared to a modern piano) and limited resonance does imply Mozart had necessarily a certain aesthetic in mind when composing these pieces.

Now does that mean we should, when playing on modern piano, forbid ourselves to use the full capability of that instrument ? I think almost any musician would answer no, as playing Mozart or Bach on a piano is a form of arrangement already but ...... on the other hand that does not mean that everything is musically possible or viable either. The performance of those composers has evolved over time, and it is necessarily rooted in the expectations of our time. I also believe that it makes generally speaking no sense to play composers outside of the aesthetic of their time. I think everybody would agree that singing Monterverdi or Palestrina like Puccini would be silly. Similarly playing Mozart like Beethoven is possible but it would also not make justice to Mozart style. Because then there is no style anymore and any piece will sound like everything else.

I dont think that anyone is scolding pianists for their choice and there is a fairly wide interpretative range for any composer. No one can say what Mozart should sound like precisely. So there isnt any precise model of what is Mozart, or Bach or Chopin, but there is an overall aesthetic model and a historical performance practice. And I certainly support that artistic choice also leads to create less uniformity, but I also believe that we should keep in mind what each composer style is as a beacon to make our personal artistic choices. I cant say that Bach played by Furtwangler or by Gould is how I see Bach, and that it is certainly not aligned with the historical performance practice, but it is a good thing that it exists. The topic is complex enough and cant be properly discussed in a forum like this. But I suggest you read what other great musicians have written on that subject, Tovey, Rosen, Donnington, Badura-Skoda, ......

As far as teaching, dogmatism is never a good thing, but I think it also make sense that teachers focus on giving you what is the current accepted performance practice, as a starting point. Any teaching is by definition based on an agreed framework. Just like at the conservatories, futur composers learn how to write model fugues. What you decide to do with this knowledge afterwards is your choice once you are equipped with the skills , the musical sense and the knowledge. You have plenty of time ahead of you to rebel against the teaching of your professors.
A very good answer IMO. I think it also clarifies the OPs questions which I found very difficult to follow.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I have noticed 2 things so far:

1) I am continuing to speak to a wall, despite trying my best to articulate my ideas in a clear manner. I may not be very good at expressing myself, that is true, so maybe that is the problem.

2) Some people are confusing me for a typical conservatory student who should know his place and stop rebelling against professors until he learns the fundamentals of music interpretation. I know how much I still have to learn, and I am NOT comparing myself to any true master; but I no longer play, nor write music like a "student" who needs constant help and feedback from professors, despite me still being a "student" by name for a few more months.

To put it more simply; I wholeheartedly support the idea of giving the classical performer FAR more freedom with his/her interpretation.

Sidokar, you describe the difference between Beethoven and Mozart almost like the difference between classical and jazz. Classical and jazz are two different styles, with a completely different feel, rhythmic approach, the improvisatory aspect etc, so of course, I wouldn't want to play jazz the same way that classical music is played because it's a completely different cultural space. But the difference between Mozart and Beethoven is NOT like that at all.

And how, tell me, would interpretations all start to sound the same, when people start to focus less on historical practice? How? I think through the way I would like to play every piece before I perform it... of course I find something different to do in Appassionata, than I would in Bach's Chromatic fantasy and fugue. They won't be sounding the same, that's ridiculous.

Perhaps the way I think of it is just this - I play music the way I would like to play it, not the way I think it should be played in other people's opinion. I respect the markings the composer wrote IN THE SCORE, but unless there are no explicit WRITTEN/VERBAL instructions to interpret it in a certain way, I am going my own way in regards to the "style".

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member

1) I am continuing to speak to a wall, despite trying my best to articulate my ideas in a clear manner. I may not be very good at expressing myself, that is true, so maybe that is the problem.

2) Some people are confusing me for a typical conservatory student who should know his place and stop rebelling against professors until he learns the fundamentals of music interpretation. I know how much I still have to learn, and I am NOT comparing myself to any true master; but I no longer play, nor write music like a "student" who needs constant help and feedback from professors, despite me still being a "student" by name for a few more months.

I agree with everything you said from the beginning.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf

I agree with everything you said from the beginning.

Not sure if I understand; do you agree with everything I have stated on this matter from the beginning of this thread, or just... the 2 points that you quoted? If it's the latter, then i'm confused.

But anyway; I didn't create this thread for people to agree with me. I stated what I think about this, and why it is killing classical music. That's all smile

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
I agree with everything you said.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Beethoven was very angry at Czerny for playing in public from memory because he missed things in the score. He'd have been apoplectic if Czerny had intentionally changed anything!

Laissez tomber les mains
B
B
Should Bach be played like Chopin?

Why not?? Enjoy the Chopinesque rubato and dynamic gradations....and that long piano cadenza is totally irresistible whistle:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
About the "killing" of classical music. I wouldn't blame tradition at large, but rather the current standard, at least in the piano world.
In the 19th century it was actually the tradition to take (educated) liberties with the music, as long as the playing expressed what was thought to be the composer's intention. Tradition has changed a lot since then. Now the standard is perhaps overly conservative, and this is what OP is probably objecting to. Who/what can we blame for such a shift in tradition? Is it technology, with its obsession with ultra-high-fidelity that magnifies the so-called imperfections of performances? Or competitions that by design reward performers with more unanimously acceptable styles? Most likely a combination of these factors and more.

Soli Chopin gloria
Originally Posted by Rubens
About the "killing" of classical music. I wouldn't blame tradition at large, but rather the current standard, at least in the piano world.
In the 19th century it was actually the tradition to take (educated) liberties with the music, as long as the playing expressed what was thought to be the composer's intention. Tradition has changed a lot since then. Now the standard is perhaps overly conservative, and this is what OP is probably objecting to. Who/what can we blame for such a shift in tradition? Is it technology, with its obsession with ultra-high-fidelity that magnifies the so-called imperfections of performances? Or competitions that by design reward performers with more unanimously acceptable styles? Most likely a combination of these factors and more.
I think of things differently. In the 19th century, the performer was glorified at the expense of the composer(and I don't think any liberties they took were necessarily educated)but by the beginning of the 20th century the place of the performer started changing to expressing something closer what the composer wrote. IOW less of an ego trip for the pianist.

Some present day competitions may reward performers with conservative approaches, but I don't think this is always the case and is mostly a misconception. In fact, i think the winners of the biggest competitions these days are all sensationally interesting pianists with brilliant interpretations.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i think the winners of the biggest competitions these days are all sensationally interesting pianists

I wholeheartedly disagree, but ok.

Soli Chopin gloria
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
The OP states: Nothing currently makes my blood boil more than hearing a sentence like: "It sounded beautiful. But that's not how you play Mozart."

It sounds beautiful? Thank you. Period.

Would the OP accept "It sounded beautiful. Did you compose that?" for a work he performed that might be Bach, or Mozart, or the OP himself, who is a composer.

I would think that the OP would like to have his/her compositions recognized as belonging to them.

We hear many melodies lifted from Chopin, Bach, Ravel , Granados, and used by jazz musicians all the time without acknowledging who actually provided the inspiration.

It sounds beautiful. Period.

But knowing where it came from, and knowing that the performer also knows where it came from, hearing how the performer alters it makes the experience even better.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some present day competitions may reward performers with conservative approaches, but I don't think this is always the case and is mostly a misconception.

Think about it. As a competitor you have to play for a large number of jurors with different personalities and preferences. As such, the more liberties you take, the more radical your interpretation becomes, and the _lesser_ the chances are that you will please the jury unanimously. Now I'm not saying that competition winners are absolute borefests, which is probably the kind of words you're trying to put in my mouth. As a contestant you do have to show interesting ideas, but the margins are rather narrow if you want such ideas to please the jurors as unanimously as possible and not polarize them. So the winners usually _do_ show interesting ideas, but they are far from being "sensationally interesting". No, the truly sensationally interesting ones rarely come out on top, for the reasons stated above, and they are usually eliminated before the finals.

Soli Chopin gloria
R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R

Regards,

Bruce, just the decent thing to do. If I use a heavy metal band to accompany my rendition of Satie's Gymnopédie 1, I would like the public to have some awareness of this when they purchase a ticket to my show.
Likewise, I think performers should tell their audience of they are going to put on a boring interpretation which will put them to sleep. Sadly, most don't...

Some present day competitions may reward performers with conservative approaches, but I don't think this is always the case and is mostly a misconception.

Think about it. As a competitor you have to play for a large number of jurors with different personalities and preferences. As such, the more liberties you take, the more radical your interpretation becomes, and the _lesser_ the chances are that you will please the jury unanimously. Now I'm not saying that competition winners are absolute borefests, which is probably the kind of words you're trying to put in my mouth. As a contestant you do have to show interesting ideas, but the margins are rather narrow if you want such ideas to please the jurors as unanimously as possible and not polarize them. So the winners usually _do_ show interesting ideas, but they are far from being "sensationally interesting". No, the truly sensationally interesting ones rarely come out on top, for the reasons stated above, and they are usually eliminated before the finals.
This is all just your personal opinion.

There are many different scoring systems in competitions, Sometimes they throw out the highest and lowest votes. Or a low score from one judge can be balanced by a high score from another judge. I think you also underestimate the judges by thinking they are not open to some new ideas provided the ideas are convincing.

Whether or not the winners of major competitions are "sensationally interesting" is completely subjective. I also think some/most of the greatest pianists, past and present, don't do anything particularly unusual in their interpretation. They just play more beautifully, more convincingly, or create a greater emotional involvement with the audience. Two examples pianists in that category are Trifonov and Perahia but I could name at least 25 more.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

Regards,

Likewise, I think performers should tell their audience of they are going to put on a boring interpretation which will put them to sleep. Sadly, most don't...

I’m sure the performer doesn’t think it is boring. If they are making so many changes that the music is no longer the original, it should be billed as ‘arrangement of xxx’ or based on xxxx’. … and not just on the program notes, but in all advertising

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
I think your points are perfectly clear. I think you've found, as have many others, that saying anything here seems to prompt excessive conservative backlash. This has been true for a long time.

I find it surprising how one can state such strong opinions as fact, where so many famous pianists throughout history have voiced similar concerns about performance traditions. It's fine if you call it a personal opinion, but the tone is always almost accusatory.

There is a very strong emphasis on playing all the right notes when it comes to competitions. I know people who have told me about being rejected for a small memory slip in a Bach fugue. And this is the norm, not the exception. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but at least it seems obvious to me that when you can't afford to screw up a few notes in a 30-minute audition, you will not take risks. It will be a particular interpretation you have refined over years, with miniscule room for error. There may be exceptions among international level artists, people who can take risks and still never miss a note, but that would require great talent both for memory and for interpretation, which is extremely rare. Everyone else is stuck playing stock standard interpretations, because it is better than the alternative of missing notes. That's what I feel is the culprit, at least.

As for how composers react to performers playing their works in their own style, I think they admire them if it's actually good. Rachmaninoff said that Horowitz played good third concerto like he would have liked to. Chopin was speechless when Liszt played his Etudes. Even listen to Rachmaninoff playing Rachmaninoff, it is quite different from standard performances, and imo very imaginative and musical.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I also think some/most of the greatest pianists, past and present, don't do anything particularly unusual in their interpretation. They just play more beautifully, more convincingly, or create a greater emotional involvement with the audience. ...Trifonov....
He played Scriabin's Etude Op. 42 No. 5 in some hipster bar in Berlin all decked out in a pair of jeans, t-shirt, beanie, beard and tennis shoes. It was an incredibly moving, agitated performance of that piece unlike any I've heard, and yeah, he stayed true to the score.

Seiler SE-186
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think you also underestimate the judges by thinking they are not open to some new ideas provided the ideas are convincing.

Hmm, putting words in other people's mouth again I see. I never said they are not open to some new ideas. Actually I said the opposite. Not only they are open to new ideas, but most actually _want_ to hear some new ideas. But all within a margin, as I said. One juror might find a novel idea convincing while another juror would find it unacceptable. And the more jurors you have, the less common ground you get between their preferences, and the narrower the margins for liberties. In the end, it is rewarding for competitors to show some new ideas, but only in limited doses. I'd say if performers took more liberties (provided the ideas are convincing as you said), there would be a better chance to create even more beautiful, convincing and emotionally powerful performances than what we are hearing nowadays. Yes, we would also hear some overly distorted performances here and there, but that is a price I'd be willing to pay.

Soli Chopin gloria
I think your points are perfectly clear. I think you've found, as have many others, that saying anything here seems to prompt excessive conservative backlash. This has been true for a long time.

I find it surprising how one can state such strong opinions as fact, where so many famous pianists throughout history have voiced similar concerns about performance traditions. It's fine if you call it a personal opinion, but the tone is always almost accusatory.

There is a very strong emphasis on playing all the right notes when it comes to competitions. I know people who have told me about being rejected for a small memory slip in a Bach fugue. And this is the norm, not the exception. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but at least it seems obvious to me that when you can't afford to screw up a few notes in a 30-minute audition, you will not take risks. It will be a particular interpretation you have refined over years, with miniscule room for error. There may be exceptions among international level artists, people who can take risks and still never miss a note, but that would require great talent both for memory and for interpretation, which is extremely rare. Everyone else is stuck playing stock standard interpretations, because it is better than the alternative of missing notes. That's what I feel is the culprit, at least.

As for how composers react to performers playing their works in their own style, I think they admire them if it's actually good. Rachmaninoff said that Horowitz played good third concerto like he would have liked to. Chopin was speechless when Liszt played his Etudes. Even listen to Rachmaninoff playing Rachmaninoff, it is quite different from standard performances, and imo very imaginative and musical.
Having an unusual interpretation has nothing to do with missing notes. Nor is having an unusual interpretation necessarily a good thing.

All pianists play music "in their own style" but performances of classical music by its nature are going to sound more similar to each other than covers of pop tunes. Composers like good performances of their works but this has little to do with the style of the performance. If Chopin admired Liszt's performance of his etudes, it was probably because of the technical skill he brought to them.

Trifonov and Perahia, to name just two of dozens of great contemporary pianists, don't do anything highly unusual in their performances. They just play more beautifully, more convincingly, and with a greater emotional connection to the audience than lesser pianists. It's a myth that one has to have some unique or unusual interpretation to be a great pianist.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Having an unusual interpretation has nothing to do with missing notes. Nor is having an unusual interpretation necessarily a good thing.

All pianists play music "in their own style" but performances of classical music by its nature are going to sound more similar to each other than covers of pop tunes. Composers like good performances of their works but this has little to do with the style of the performance. If Chopin admired Liszt's performance of his etudes, it was probably because of the technical skill he brought to them.

Trifonov and Perahia, to name just two of dozens of great contemporary pianists, don't do anything highly unusual in their performances. They just play more beautifully, more convincingly, and with a greater emotional connection to the audience than lesser pianists. It's a myth that one has to have some unique or unusual interpretation to be a great pianist.

The pianists who I personally (yes, personally, but I am amongst many who think the same) consider to be the greatest, play 1) in an unique manner, aka actually making art, not trying to copy any traditions 2) but make it sound great. The four living pianists who I can name off the top of my head that do this, are Lucas Debargue, Daniil Trifonov, Alexandre Kantorow and Vikingur Olafsson. Not Pollini, not Wang, not Lang Lang with his exaggerated interpretations... nobody else comes close, I feel. Yet of the pianists from times gone by, from whom we have recordings... Horowitz, Rubinstein, Sofronitsky, Nyiregyhazi, Cortot... I could go on and on. Yet I couldn't go on and on the same way with today's top pianists. The variety of unique (and not only unique, but also coherent) artistic expression amongst interpreters today has diminished significantly.

They all used to be unique personalities. Now, it's rare to find those.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The pianists who I personally (yes, personally, but I am amongst many who think the same) consider to be the greatest, play 1) in an unique manner, aka actually making art, not trying to copy any traditions 2) but make it sound great. The four living pianists who I can name off the top of my head that do this, are Lucas Debargue, Daniil Trifonov, Alexandre Kantorow and Vikingur Olafsson.

I like Debargue, Trifonov and Olafsson too, but I do not find their playing to be tradition-breaking. (I haven't heard Kantorow).
Maybe we are misunderstanding your words after all. I think many here thought you were promoting an iconoclastic style (such as the current version of Pogorelich, or maybe Ozokins), which is not something I would attribute to the pianists mentioned earlier.

Soli Chopin gloria
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
The pianists who I personally (yes, personally, but I am amongst many who think the same) consider to be the greatest, play 1) in an unique manner, aka actually making art, not trying to copy any traditions 2) but make it sound great. The four living pianists who I can name off the top of my head that do this, are Lucas Debargue, Daniil Trifonov, Alexandre Kantorow and Vikingur Olafsson.

I like Debargue, Trifonov and Olafsson too, but I do not find their playing to be tradition-breaking. (I haven't heard Kantorow).
Maybe we are misunderstanding your words after all. I think many here thought you were promoting an iconoclastic style (such as the current version of Pogorelich, or maybe Ozokins), which is something I would not attribute to the pianists mentioned earlier.

I definitely wasn't promoting anything like that. I don't like what Pogorelich is doing right now, despite it being tradition-breaking.

I just want there to be a balance. People are either stuck between walls, or they go completely nuts and often the result sounds bad. Debargue, for example, sits in this perfect middle zone for me. I heard him live, playing Schumann and Skrjabin. What he did in the Schumann sonata made some conservatives drop their jaws and scratch their heads, yet overall, it was not taken too far and he recieved a rapturous standing ovation.

Olafsson plays Bach with a liberal, yet always tasteful use of pedal, and I love it.

Trifonov's transcendental etudes are a breath of fresh air.

I heard Kantorow live in Riga in august. I will never forget the way he played Liszt's Dante sonata. Not a single mistake, yet it sounded... personal, and full of pleasant surprises and slight eccentricities, that worked.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Maybe we are misunderstanding your words after all. I think many here thought you were promoting an iconoclastic style (such as the current version of Pogorelich, or maybe Ozokins), which is something I would not attribute to the pianists mentioned earlier.

I definitely wasn't promoting anything like that. I don't like what Pogorelich is doing right now, despite it being tradition-breaking.

I just want there to be a balance. People are either stuck between walls, or they go completely nuts and often the result sounds bad. Debargue, for example, sits in this perfect middle zone for me. I heard him live, playing Schumann and Skrjabin. What he did in the Schumann sonata made some conservatives drop their jaws and scratch their heads, yet overall, it was not taken too far and he recieved a rapturous standing ovation.

Olafsson plays Bach with a liberal, yet always tasteful use of pedal, and I love it.

Trifonov's transcendental etudes are a breath of fresh air.

I heard Kantorow live in Riga in august. I will never forget the way he played Liszt's Dante sonata. Not a single mistake, yet it sounded... personal, and full of pleasant surprises and slight eccentricities, that worked.

I would place Bozhanov in that category too. I'm ok with liberties if they serve the composer, and I find that Bozhanov does that. On the other hand I cannot suffer Lang Lang. Subjective opinions, yes.

Soli Chopin gloria
The pianists who I personally (yes, personally, but I am amongst many who think the same) consider to be the greatest, play 1) in an unique manner, aka actually making art, not trying to copy any traditions 2) but make it sound great. The four living pianists who I can name off the top of my head that do this, are Lucas Debargue, Daniil Trifonov, Alexandre Kantorow and Vikingur Olafsson. Not Pollini, not Wang, not Lang Lang with his exaggerated interpretations... nobody else comes close, I feel. Yet of the pianists from times gone by, from whom we have recordings... Horowitz, Rubinstein, Sofronitsky, Nyiregyhazi, Cortot... I could go on and on. Yet I couldn't go on and on the same way with today's top pianists. The variety of unique (and not only unique, but also coherent) artistic expression amongst interpreters today has diminished significantly.

They all used to be unique personalities. Now, it's rare to find those.
Again, your comments are totally subjective.

Phrases like "play in a unique manner", "actually making art", "not trying to copy any traditions" are totally subjective and so vague as to be basically meaningless.

Other people, including me, could find dozens of truly great pianists playing before the public today. There were many great pianists from earlier generations but there were certainly plenty of lesser pianists during that time also. Just like today.

Pianists born before 1900 or just afterward are from a different era when the pianist was placed or placed himself above the composer. So it's natural that more of them were "unique". But being unique is not something that's necessarily positive or something to be so excited about. Perahia and Freire are two pianists among dozens I could name that most would consider very great. But there's nothing majorly unique in their playing or interpretations. They just play incredibly beautifully, with flawless technique, and great musical understanding.

I think you also underestimate the judges by thinking they are not open to some new ideas provided the ideas are convincing.
Hmm, putting words in other people's mouth again I see. I never said they are not open to some new ideas.
I never said you said that judges are not open to new ideas so how could I be putting works in your mouth? I said I think you underestimate the judges which is a far different statement.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmm, putting words in other people's mouth again I see. I never said they are not open to some new ideas.
I never said you said that judges are not open to new ideas so how could I be putting works in your mouth? I said I think you underestimate the judges which is a far different statement.

You made a false statement about what I was thinking, because you misread my post. Which is another way putting words in my mouth. Try harder, ******.

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 01/18/22 08:25 PM. Reason: Meanness removed.

Soli Chopin gloria
You made a false statement about what I was thinking, because you misread my post. Which is another way putting words in my mouth. Try harder, pisher.
I said I THINK you....I didn't say you THINK.... You don't seem to understand the difference.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pianists born before 1900 or just afterward are from a different era when the pianist was placed or placed himself above the composer.

Or on the same level, at least.

Which is what I want to come back. This is the main point of my post.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I said I THINK you....I didn't say you THINK.... You don't seem to understand the difference.
Bottom line, distorting the meaning of other people's statements, which is something you always do in various ways. *yawn*

Soli Chopin gloria
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Chopin was speechless when Liszt played his Etudes.

And on the other hand, Chopin was distinctly not happy when a student played a little extra filigree in one of his pieces, and he said, "You got that from Liszt, didn't you?"

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by wr
Chopin was speechless when Liszt played his Etudes.

And on the other hand, Chopin was distinctly not happy when a student played a little extra filigree in one of his pieces, and he said, "You got that from Liszt, didn't you?"
Well it's possible that only Liszt could make that little extra filigree sound good wink

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S

2) Some people are confusing me for a typical conservatory student who should know his place and stop rebelling against professors until he learns the fundamentals of music interpretation ...

Your points are clear, even though raised at a very generic level it is difficult to evaluate what you mean exactly in terms of claimed freedom. So I don’t necessarily disagree with what you said, but I don’t fully agree either.

You are the one who gave the example of the professor comments. I don’t know you and therefore my comments are not directed at your particular case. But my point, which I don’t think you understood is to say that what is being taught in a conservatory is a different situation than what musicians will do afterwards. Just like when you learn to drive a car, the teacher will enforce certain rules and we all know that in real life (at least where I live) we dont apply all of them. So the example is somehow inadequate.

To put it more simply; I wholeheartedly support the idea of giving the classical performer FAR more freedom with his/her interpretation.

Stated like that, everyone would agree with you. It all depends what the FAR means for you.

Sidokar, you describe the difference between Beethoven and Mozart almost like the difference between classical and jazz. Classical and jazz are two different styles, with a completely different feel, rhythmic approach, the improvisatory aspect etc, so of course, I wouldn't want to play jazz the same way that classical music is played because it's a completely different cultural space. But the difference between Mozart and Beethoven is NOT like that at all.

Did I ? I don’t think I did that, that’s probably your interpretation. Of course, there are degrees of differences. But Mozart is different enough from Beethoven, aesthetically and stylistically that the difference must be taken into account. Taking more extreme examples to illustrate the issue, which I already gave, no one would think of singing Monteverdi in the Bel Canto style of Puccini, or Palestrina like Verdi. The Monteverdi music implies a particular vocal style, ornamentation which is specific to early baroque. Even if Mozart and Beethoven are closer, they are also different. Would you play Chopin in a baroque style ? Obviously no and nobody does it. That’s because you want to be faithfull to the romantic style of Chopin.

And how, tell me, would interpretations all start to sound the same, when people start to focus less on historical practice? How? I think through the way I would like to play every piece before I perform it... of course I find something different to do in Appassionata, than I would in Bach's Chromatic fantasy and fugue. They won't be sounding the same, that's ridiculous.

They will sound the same if you ignore the specifics of each style. Lets take the example of Furtwangler playing Bach. I love all Furtwanger performances (still have all his Beethoven on LPs) and certainly his Bach is intensively dramatic and I love it; the only issue is that it is played and sounds like Beethoven or even Wagner in certain places. So as much as I like his interpretation in absolute terms, I also must say it does not represent Bach aesthetics nor the baroque spirit. See below the example of one recording and a more recent version. I am happy that there are people like Pinnock who developed a more “authentic” version (even if imperfect and probably not fully authentic). Again I am not advocating that everyone should play authentically, and musicians have exercised a large latitude when playing historic music, but I am saying that a historically dated performance practice exists and must be taken into account when developing an interpretation, even if you decide to ignore it by artistic choice.

Perhaps the way I think of it is just this - I play music the way I would like to play it, not the way I think it should be played in other people's opinion. I respect the markings the composer wrote IN THE SCORE, but unless there are no explicit WRITTEN/VERBAL instructions to interpret it in a certain way, I am going my own way in regards to the "style".

Well, there are plenty of elements that are not written in the score. In fact for many composers, like Bach, very little articulation is provided and nearly no dynamics at all (even in his non keyboard works). But that does not mean that he did not have a specific idea of how to play his works. There are no indication because it was obvious to all performers what were the usual performance practice of the time. So in effect it is exactly as if those were written in the score. For example in the French keyboard works, the “Notes Inégales” are not mentioned and even more they are actually played differently than notated. Similarly for over dotting. The scores of early baroque do not include any or little elements of ornamentation nor vocal technique to be used because those were known to performers of the time.

Every musician applies a large set of unwritten rules to play historic music. What you call your freedom is just a question of how much you decide to deviate from usually agreed interpretation standards. For example no modern pianists uses hand breaking anymore, something that was usual in older performances. Thats because it is considered mannered and inelegant. Thats not part of our modern standards. We all apply standards to play music, consciously or unconsciously.

THis one is not even close to what Furtwangler is doing in the Bach passions. This would be standard in his time.

Blüthner model 6

2) Some people are confusing me for a typical conservatory student who should know his place and stop rebelling against professors until he learns the fundamentals of music interpretation ...

Your points are clear, even though raised at a very generic level it is difficult to evaluate what you mean exactly in terms of claimed freedom. So I don’t necessarily disagree with what you said, but I don’t fully agree either.

You are the one who gave the example of the professor comments. I don’t know you and therefore my comments are not directed at your particular case. But my point, which I don’t think you understood is to say that what is being taught in a conservatory is a different situation than what musicians will do afterwards. Just like when you learn to drive a car, the teacher will enforce certain rules and we all know that in real life (at least where I live) we dont apply all of them. So the example is somehow inadequate.

Stated like that, everyone would agree with you. It all depends what the FAR means for you.

Did I ? I don’t think I did that, that’s probably your interpretation. Of course, there are degrees of differences. But Mozart is different enough from Beethoven, aesthetically and stylistically that the difference must be taken into account. Taking more extreme examples to illustrate the issue, which I already gave, no one would think of singing Monteverdi in the Bel Canto style of Puccini, or Palestrina like Verdi. The Monteverdi music implies a particular vocal style, ornamentation which is specific to early baroque. Even if Mozart and Beethoven are closer, they are also different. Would you play Chopin in a baroque style ? Obviously no and nobody does it. That’s because you want to be faithfull to the romantic style of Chopin.

They will sound the same if you ignore the specifics of each style. Lets take the example of Furtwangler playing Bach. I love all Furtwanger performances (still have all his Beethoven on LPs) and certainly his Bach is intensively dramatic and I love it; the only issue is that it is played and sounds like Beethoven or even Wagner in certain places. So as much as I like his interpretation in absolute terms, I also must say it does not represent Bach aesthetics nor the baroque spirit. See below the example of one recording and a more recent version. I am happy that there are people like Pinnock who developed a more “authentic” version (even if imperfect and probably not fully authentic). Again I am not advocating that everyone should play authentically, and musicians have exercised a large latitude when playing historic music, but I am saying that a historically dated performance practice exists and must be taken into account when developing an interpretation, even if you decide to ignore it by artistic choice.

Well, there are plenty of elements that are not written in the score. In fact for many composers, like Bach, very little articulation is provided and nearly no dynamics at all (even in his non keyboard works). But that does not mean that he did not have a specific idea of how to play his works. There are no indication because it was obvious to all performers what were the usual performance practice of the time. So in effect it is exactly as if those were written in the score. For example in the French keyboard works, the “Notes Inégales” are not mentioned and even more they are actually played differently than notated. Similarly for over dotting. The scores of early baroque do not include any or little elements of ornamentation nor vocal technique to be used because those were known to performers of the time.

Every musician applies a large set of unwritten rules to play historic music. What you call your freedom is just a question of how much you decide to deviate from usually agreed interpretation standards. For example no modern pianists uses hand breaking anymore, something that was usual in older performances. Thats because it is considered mannered and inelegant. Thats not part of our modern standards. We all apply standards to play music, consciously or unconsciously.

THis one is not even close to what Furtwangler is doing in the Bach passions. This would be standard in his time.

Good responses to what, for me at least, was a rather rambling and unclear post by the OP.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good responses to what, for me at least, was a rather rambling and unclear post by the OP.

Plenty of people here thought my points were clear enough. I am done arguing because I think this topic has been argued to death by now smile

Me and a few others have our opinion, you and most other conservatives have yours. Fine. I'm just going to continue doing my thing and believing what I believe in.

R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
What you call your freedom is just a question of how much you decide to deviate from usually agreed interpretation standards. For example no modern pianists uses hand breaking anymore, something that was usual in older performances. Thats because it is considered mannered and inelegant. Thats not part of our modern standards. We all apply standards to play music, consciously or unconsciously.
Hand breaking is a great analogy. In fact, I love hand breaking and use it all the time. It's one of the things my teachers pick up on and make note of. I think it sounds beautiful. While people sometimes think of these things as some kind of authentic historical insight, I think it's just the fashion of the day. We never hear a historically accurate performance of Liszt nowadays for example, in my opinion. Liszt was said to improvise over all of his compositions. The current fashion is to play note perfect, prepared months in advance. How could we possibly be hearing something similar to what people were listening to in the 19th century? I contend that we aren't. I would personally trust someone like an old concert pianist who studied with a direct pupil of Liszt to have a more authentic understanding of the style, than those nowadays who follow modern pundits. They all used hand breaking? I'd wager Chopin and Liszt did too.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Plenty of people here thought my points were clear enough. I am done arguing because I think this topic has been argued to death by now smile

Me and a few others have our opinion, you and most other conservatives have yours. Fine. I'm just going to continue doing my thing and believing what I believe in.

The whole point of having a forum is to exchange ideas, it is not necessarily to convince or to win a battle. Exchanging ideas means confronting yours to people who do not have the exact same opinions. I think it is always interesting to read what others think of a given subject. If you do not accept the possibility that some ideas, that are contrary to yours, are bringing something to think about then indeed you have waisted your time. I always enjoy listening and reading opinions which contradict mine or which bring new perspective or new facts I was not aware of. There is nothing in this thread to be upset about, except that there are people that dont have the same opinion as you do and have some rationale for thinking differently.

Blüthner model 6
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
We never hear a historically accurate performance of Liszt nowadays for example, in my opinion. Liszt was said to improvise over all of his compositions. The current fashion is to play note perfect, prepared months in advance. How could we possibly be hearing something similar to what people were listening to in the 19th century? I contend that we aren't.

I dont disagree with you. We certainly dont but that is also because the audience and the context are different. We are surounded by all sorts of music that no one knew in the 19th century and our tastes have changed too. People are expecting a near perfect and polished performance as the level of technical proficiency has increased. We dont use hand breaking because we prefer a certain rythmic accuracy which is part of our modern culture. Each time period and country has its own aesthetic. That is why, as I said no performance can be completely and totally authentic, and we can only approach it, but some interpretations are getting closer than others.

I would personally trust someone like an old concert pianist who studied with a direct pupil of Liszt to have a more authentic understanding of the style, than those nowadays who follow modern pundits. They all used hand breaking? I'd wager Chopin and Liszt did too.[/quote]

I would venture to say that you would be probably be disappointed in certain areas. But we will never know !

Blüthner model 6
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For example no modern pianists uses hand breaking anymore, something that was usual in older performances. Thats because it is considered mannered and inelegant. Thats not part of our modern standards. We all apply standards to play music, consciously or unconsciously.
What the f is "hand breaking"? Never heard of this in a pianistic context, and even Google doesn't seem to know it.
From my naive point of view I'd say hand breaking for pianists is less common today because of the invention of the soft fallboard... laugh

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
B
B
Originally Posted by patH
What the f is "hand breaking"? Never heard of this in a pianistic context, and even Google doesn't seem to know it.
From my naive point of view I'd say hand breaking for pianists is less common today because of the invention of the soft fallboard... laugh
I believe that some pieces require karate chops to execute, like this diabolical suggestion:

.....though I don't know if any pianist has broken his hands on it.

Though I expect what the two pundits are talking about is hand desynchronization, as here:

Wasn't there a big advocate in PW of "arpeggiate all chords.....or die" by the name of Luis Podesta? Not seen him around for a while........

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Yes, Louis believed that virtually all chords should be arpeggianated
He seems to have disappeared from piano forums.

Online Content

Originally Posted by dogperson
Yes, Louis believed that virtually all chords should be arpeggianated
He seems to have disappeared from piano forums.
Louis hasn't participated here since May 2015. We were classmates at the University of North Texas in the early 1970s. I certainly hope he is doing well.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by bennevis
Though I expect what the two pundits are talking about is hand desynchronization....
I do that instinctively sometimes (not excessively), liking how it sounds, but then regret it when it's not in the score. Did Ravel indicate this somehow in that concerto? When he writes expressif, as he does near the end of the urtext edition of the Haydn Menuet, I tend to use that as an excuse to go to town with it and do whatever I want. Whether that's a generally accepted practice, I don't know.

Seiler SE-186
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, bennevis!

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
.... because generations of snobs got their jollies going to concerts or listening to recordings with a score in their lap (so to speak) to catch every little diversion from the holy score and judge accordingly. These professional pianists can be so utterly soulless and boring that there's no point in listening to their little exercises. Technically impressive? Of course. Emotionally and musically impressive? Rarely.

Oh, that's a little strong, I think. (Although quite humourous!)

I have never taken a score to a concert myself but can fully understand an aspiring musician trying to learn a piece, and still unfamiliar with it, taking the score to help their understanding of it. It is probable at least a small percentage do not fit your description.
In fact they are not perhaps showing how much they know but how little they understand. They are trying to improve. To condemn them as snob martinets is, I think just a bit unfair.
I don't think the score fascists go so far as to condemn people who don't take a score to a concert so perhaps there is room for a little tolerance.

My personal explanation is that I am not a snob, I nearly always follow the score whenever I play Rhapsody in Blue or Pictures at an Exhibition, because, as I say, I am not as familiar with them as I would like to be. Add to that quite a bit of Bach, Baroque, and Schubert.

In truth I don't think I have ever done it to check how accurately the performer was following the score. I've always done it to understand it better.

However I don't attend classical concerts and do not think I would take the score if I did.

Judge, though? Yes, I must do or else why would I prefer Bernstein's Columbia Rhapsody in Blue to any other and Lisitsa's glorious Schwanengesang?

By the way, after having the score since 1978 and following it many, many times, I am still always slightly at risk of getting lost in the run up to and during parts of The Great Gates of Kiev. I couldn't possibly take it to a concert, how embarrassing, flicking through the pages to find where the artist or performers were when it's obvious I've completely lost the plot!

Out of interest, why not ask one of these snobs if they have brought the score to check slavish obedience from the performers regarding it?
I would love to know what they say! The question would need to be phrased with some sensitivity though.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
.... because generations of snobs got their jollies going to concerts or listening to recordings with a score in their lap (so to speak) to catch every little diversion from the holy score and judge accordingly. These professional pianists can be so utterly soulless and boring that there's no point in listening to their little exercises. Technically impressive? Of course. Emotionally and musically impressive? Rarely.

I have never taken a score to a concert myself but can fully understand an aspiring musician trying to learn a piece, and still unfamiliar with it, taking the score to help their understanding of it. It is probable at least a small percentage do not fit your description.
In fact they are not perhaps showing how much they know but how little they understand. They are trying to improve. To condemn them as snob martinets is, I think just a bit unfair.
I don't think the score fascists go so far as to condemn people who don't take a score to a concert so perhaps there is room for a little tolerance.

My personal explanation is that I am not a snob, I nearly always follow the score whenever I play Rhapsody in Blue or Pictures at an Exhibition, because, as I say, I am not as familiar with them as I would like to be. Add to that quite a bit of Bach, Baroque, and Schubert.

In truth I don't think I have ever done it to check how accurately the performer was following the score. I've always done it to understand it better.

However I don't attend classical concerts and do not think I would take the score if I did.

Judge, though? Yes, I must do or else why would I prefer Bernstein's Columbia Rhapsody in Blue to any other and Lisitsa's glorious Schwanengesang?

By the way, after having the score since 1978 and following it many, many times, I am still always slightly at risk of getting lost in the run up to and during parts of The Great Gates of Kiev. I couldn't possibly take it to a concert, how embarrassing, flicking through the pages to find where the artist or performers were when it's obvious I've completely lost the plot!

Out of interest, why not ask one of these snobs if they have brought the score to check slavish obedience from the performers regarding it?
I would love to know what they say! The question would need to be phrased with some sensitivity though.

Once, I attended an open rehearsal of the Guarneri Quartet. At one point, an argument broke out among the players over what had happened or was supposed to happen at a certain measure but nobody could agree on the measure, was it 13, 15, or 17. A guy in front row has the score and said: “Measure 15.” David Soyer, the cellist said, “Da*ned music mavens.”

Originally Posted by slipperykeys

I agree completely with you.

I think Mattardo's post you quoted is, to be blunt, BS both in terms of the reason he gives for the present practice of fidelity to the score and his description of today's pianists as soulless and not musically impressive.

The idea that most of those who bring a score to a recital to follow during the performance do so to check the pianist's fidelity to the score is one of the silliest things I've read on PW.

Your comment..."In truth I don't think I have ever done it to check how accurately the performer was following the score. I've always done it to understand it better." is the correct explanation.

W
W
Have not read the whole thread, but see some people are advocating for freedom, some are labelled as conservative.

I do not really understand what is meant by "your interpretation". If you are playing a sixteenth to its value, an eighth to its value, if you are following the tempo, dynamics, etc, you are pretty much following the composers intent of the music. So the goal should be to understand what he wrote behind these notes (to me its like that).

There is a story, that Chopin was giving a lesson and the whole lesson was spent on the first tacts of the 7th waltz, because Chopin was trying to explain how the crotchets needed to be performed.

The thrill of interpreting music for me lies in guessing what the composer wanted. That's the quest I follow, that is the holly grail for me. And when I find it myself, the interpretation becomes mine. Because no matter how close it is be to someone elses, they can never be the same.

To give you an example of what I mean, I'll again do with the one from Chopin.
Take his nocturne op9 No2. In the third tact, there is a fioritura on the note C. If you listen to many modern performances, this fioritura is played fast. If you listen to the old pianists, this fioritura is played slowly.

Now when you are working on your interpretation and trying to decide how you play it, do you say: I will play it fast, because I like it that way?

For me it goes like this: Chopin was into singing and italian music, especially Bellini. He modeled his style over those italian arias. In Bellinis arias, this kind of fiorituras are not sung like sixteenth notes, but rather slowly. On top of that, if you read Chopin's method, you'll see that he advocated playing grace notes as improvised, but not rushed, as if one note carried to another. I analyze all that and decide that I want to play it slowly, like an opera singer would do.

So will this be my interpratation? Yes, my interpratation of how I think Chopin thought. But guess what, there were some people whom he taught, some people who he were friends with and who have heard him countless times. And they had pupils who were recorded on tape (Koczalski, Rosenthal). That's how tradition in music is passed along and it should never be overlooked and it certainly does not need modernizing.

Last edited by Walkman; 01/22/22 06:28 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Walkman
For me it goes like this: Chopin was into singing and italian music, especially Bellini. He modeled his style over those italian arias. In Bellinis arias, this kind of fiorituras are not sung like sixteenth notes, but rather slowly. On top of that, if you read Chopin's method, you'll see that he advocated playing grace notes as improvised, but not rushed, as if one note carried to another. I analyze all that and decide that I want to play it slowly, like an opera singer would do.

Good reasoning!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission