2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
OP Offline
H
Hi All,
I am looking for an acoustic piano for daily practice in the next 4-5 years. I found a 1968 Baldwin 243 around me about 50mins driving. Based on pics, the condition is good. Pics are here for an idea. The piano wasn't used much. Haven't been tuned for about 5-10years. The seller is asking $100 and the moving cost is $500.
Pros: looks in good condition, Baldwin 243 is durable.
Cons: 54 years old, reach the end of life even haven't been used much?

Thank you for any advice!

PS: I am figuring out how to upload photos.

Last edited by HanchenXT; 01/18/22 03:10 PM.

Learning progress in YouTube

Baldwin Hamilton 243
Yamaha P-125
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If it had been tuned recently, you could call that tuner and ask about the condition of the piano.
In some parts of the country, in certain environments, and with certain usages, that piano could be totally fine. In others, it could be totally shot.

If my maximum budget (including maintenance) were $600, honestly I'd buy a new $600 digital piano setup.
Expect 2-3 tunings to get that piano back to concert pitch, and for it to be stable, in addition to whatever else a 54 year old piano needs to work well.
Can you upload a recording of it, played from top to bottom or with some music?

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Here's a link to the photos the OP just loaded

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...43-worth-to-take-a-look.html#Post3186401

Piano appears to be in very good condition. Can't tell about action, tone and ability to hold a tune.

Why are the moving costs estimated at $500? Was that a quote from a professional piano mover?

Last edited by Carey; 01/18/22 03:32 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
H
OP Offline
H

I couldn't figure out an easy way to upload pics. So I have a gallery thread to include pics. Thank you all for helping.

Baldwin Hamilton 243
Yamaha P-125
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
If it had been tuned recently, you could call that tuner and ask about the condition of the piano.
In some parts of the country, in certain environments, and with certain usages, that piano could be totally fine. In others, it could be totally shot.

If my maximum budget (including maintenance) were $600, honestly I'd buy a new $600 digital piano setup.
Expect 2-3 tunings to get that piano back to concert pitch, and for it to be stable, in addition to whatever else a 54 year old piano needs to work well.
Can you upload a recording of it, played from top to bottom or with some music?

Thank you very much for helping! I haven't had a chance to take a look yet. If I do, I will get some recordings for sure.
I do have a Yamaha YDP-142 at home. Just want to get an acoustic. I am not hurrying to buy (as I have a digital and I am beginner).

Baldwin Hamilton 243
Yamaha P-125
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Carey
Here's a link to the photos the OP just loaded

Piano appears to be in very good condition. Can't tell about action, tone and ability to hold a tune.

Why are the moving costs estimated at $500? Was that a quote from a professional piano mover?

The moving cost is from a guy who moved a pool table (400-500 lbs) to my friend's home. So I contacted and got a quote. As there are 4 stairs from the seller's home and 55mins one-way driving distance, my guess it will be more than $300 to get it moved.

Baldwin Hamilton 243
Yamaha P-125
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
For a few years I had an old Baldwin Hamilton 243 like that, mine was from 1967. I also had a Yamaha Arius (161?) as well. I mostly played the acoustic, so I can understand your interest in this, and would say it's worth going to play and see how it is.

But I agree, $500 for moving sounds like waay too much.

Also, since you will definitely end up paying for tunings etc., I wonder if you might be better off putting the money aside and trying to build it up so you have more options?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From the pictures OP posted, action looks good, strings look okay. So we don't know about soundboard or bridges. That said - that model Baldwin is robustly made and, particularly played as little as this one appears, should last for years.

DO find out how tight the tuning pins are.
DO play it and see if there are rattles, buzzes from the soundboard.

If it can be tuned and hold it and no buzzes, it's a deal.

My opinion.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
A
A
Originally Posted by Seeker
From the pictures OP posted, action looks good, strings look okay. So we don't know about soundboard or bridges. That said - that model Baldwin is robustly made and, particularly played as little as this one appears, should last for years.

DO find out how tight the tuning pins are.
DO play it and see if there are rattles, buzzes from the soundboard.

If it can be tuned and hold it and no buzzes, it's a deal.

My opinion.

Pretty much exactly what Seeker said. That's a solid workhorse, vast numbers in public schools getting beat up for decades. Zero mystery piano brand and model. Not hard to fix or tune or whatever. Like an old precomputer Ford pickup. Just verify pinblock and soundboard and bridges as sound. Should you get it, worth the $ having a good tech do a full regulation. I'd have zero concerns if the above parts checks out healthy.

PS This would be a huge upgrade from my upright, a 50s Wurlitzer console. Have tuned hundreds and hundreds of this and similar model Baldwins, basic good solid upright piano.

A
A
I just saw the moving price and asking price.
Moving cost is bonkers crazy expensive, but the piano price is a STEAL.

T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
Seconding Old Square. Those things were great. Surprised to see it in apparently great condition. Make sure bridges look good, action not shot and, of course, the pinblock. At that age, a full regulation would be worth the money.

H
OP Offline
H
Thank you all! Really helpful. I will go and take a look. Will post updates here.

Baldwin Hamilton 243
Yamaha P-125
A
A
Originally Posted by HanchenXT
Thank you all! Really helpful. I will go and take a look. Will post updates here.

While my "gut" is no substitute for a tech look-see, my gut's saying you prolly have a real winner there.

Keep us apprised!

Originally Posted by An Old Square

While my "gut" is no substitute for a tech look-see, my gut's saying you prolly have a real winner there.

Keep us apprised!

I also agree with An Old Square, and others; the 243 looks very good in the pics, and the price is pretty much a give-away price. The moving cost seem a bit high, but if they are experienced, licensed and insured, then maybe not.

I too had a Baldwin 243 for a time, and enjoyed it a lot while I owned it. Mine was a mid 1980s model (IMMSMC). There was an older Baldwin 243 studio upright listed for free on FB Marketplace recently, located fairly close by, and I was tempted to go get it. But I'm just out of room for another piano at the moment. Now, if something really nice were to come along, I might just make room... smile

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Many of us on this website have spent a fair number of hours in front of one of those over the years. If it were close to me and in as good of condition as it appears from those photos, I would buy it for nostalgia purposes if nothing else.

David

J
J
If it was local to me, and I didn't already have one I'd be rushing over there asap. It looks good in the pics, and I too would be willing to bet it's a great piano.

Last edited by JasonInTN; 01/18/22 11:23 PM.

Some of my keyboards:
1912 Ritmuller Art Case Grand, 1976 Baldwin Hamilton 243, 1973 Hammond C3, 1987 Yamaha HX-1, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-130, 3 Older Clavinovas, 2 pump organs, and an assortment of other toys.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Looks like it has a lot of potential!

I bought a Hamilton last Spring and the case is not in nearly that nice condition.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

K
K
5-10 years of no tuning shouldn’t be too much of an issue as long as it’s been kept in a decent environment, and as long as it’s a decent quality piano in good condition. Depending on the region, cost of moving pianos to a location 50 minutes away could be around $500. I was quoted a similar price from a professional mover less than two years ago.

Last edited by K8KT; 01/19/22 11:06 PM.

Apprentice Piano Technician
H
OP Offline
H
Hi All, thank you all for advising! I went today and checkout. It is in very good condition. Original onwer, has all paper work, key, etc.

Only issue is out of tune. measured A 429. key plastic top gets yellow.

Hammers has very little to no wear, alignment is fine, no cracks anywhere, pin block is good. Pins checked with torque wrenh, about 130 lb/inch to move the pin. Action is good. Measured let off, blowing distance, back catch, etc, all pretty in spec. No clicking noise that 70/80's bladwin studio often has.

Overall pretty good. I just need to find a reasonable mover. I glad that I went there. Thank you all again!

Baldwin Hamilton 243
Yamaha P-125
T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
Hammers has very little to no wear

wow

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission