2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (ChickenBrother, BillS728, dannylux, David Lai, Bostonmoores, 36251, 11 invisible), 825 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3183248 01/07/22 07:55 PM
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
If you teach multiple kids in the same family, do you give their parents a discount? If so, how much (percentage or so?)

I’m new to teaching on my own and not for a studio, and I haven’t had siblings yet, but someone asked if I could teach both of their kids.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Tough call. Many teachers do this; I don't. My lesson fee is my lesson fee.

However, I believe siblings in general should not study with the same private music teacher at all.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Tough call. Many teachers do this; I don't. My lesson fee is my lesson fee.

However, I believe siblings in general should not study with the same private music teacher at all.

thumb my sister and I studied with the same teacher—- and it was a living nightmare for my family… and not from anything the teacher did or did not do. I would recommend only teaching one of them; If you must teach both, I would make the lessons very different, including different method books.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Interesting question. I never give a discount for siblings.

One time, I taught six children from the same family. The mother thought I was very expensive, and after only five months, she decided to go with somebody from their church. They were also paying for all six children to take violin lessons. The simple solution for them would have been to pick only the most interested or most talented children for either instrument. If I would have charged 60% of my rate, I might have retained them longer. But, I think it's better to stick with your price.

Just explain it's not fair to your other students because you charge based on the time you teach.

Incidentally, I also don't give away many extra minutes. Otherwise, students who need 45 minutes will never bump up from 30 minutes.

Last edited by Candywoman; 01/10/22 01:21 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A discount for sibs has a kind of logic only if the teacher visits the family, so that teaching multiple people in one location would save the teacher travel time and expense.

When students come to the teacher, I don't see why there would be a discount. I don't think you need to explain anything. It's just your policy and the fee for your time.

Learner
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dogperson
If you must teach both, I would make the lessons very different, including different method books.

Yes, this can work. Your goal is to keep comparisons between siblings out of it. Plus it's fun to teach from different methodologies: keeps you fresh.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I do for a few, since I offered this when I was trying to get new students and it's a good "Promotional" draw....but in principal, no, and I don't anymore.

Your time is your time, no matter who is using it. An hour is not shorter or worth less just because you're teaching somebody's sister. Parents know when they have kids that having another one will equal twice the cost of having one, and should plan for this. Especially (at least in my case),as MOST of my private studio consists of siblings, if I did this I would effectively be lowering my hourly rate most of the time.

It also helps to realize -- in a certain perspective - piano teaching can actually be viewed as the lowest paid profession on earth in proportion to how many hours we have put into gaining our skills! Think about it -- a doctor, lawyer, accountant, private equity manager, etc --- they being their hardcore training (3-5 hours a day of study, etc) in grad school or college at the earliest. Pianists do this starting from high school, middle school (often earlier), and some of us continue up to a DMA. Which other profession requires this type of longevity in its training and only commands 40-70/hour, along with zero health or retirement benefits? Realize how much we are actually losing and much you are really worth, and it'll help you have guts to charge more smile It did for me.

Last edited by Opus_Maximus; 01/21/22 03:57 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus
Your time is your time, no matter who is using it...

Realize how much we are actually losing and much you are really worth, and it'll help you have guts to charge more smile It did for me.

I'm strictly a consumer of piano teacher services, and could not agree more!

Learner
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by malkin
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus
Your time is your time, no matter who is using it...

Realize how much we are actually losing and much you are really worth, and it'll help you have guts to charge more smile It did for me.

I'm strictly a consumer of piano teacher services, and could not agree more!

Agreed! The way I view it, your Dr’s office doesn’t give you a discount for each additional member of your family—- until they do, piano teachers shouldn’t either

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
E
E
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
If you teach multiple kids in the same family, do you give their parents a discount? If so, how much (percentage or so?)

I’m new to teaching on my own and not for a studio, and I haven’t had siblings yet, but someone asked if I could teach both of their kids.

I think if you know the family personally, you could give them like 2/5% discount. Teaching the kids should be your main objective here. But then again if they ( family) respect your work, they should pay you in full.

If you think giving them a discount would be financial devastation, Then I would suggest openly communicating with the parents or just saying you teach one at a time, keeps the lesson quality top noched.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Emily121

I think if you know the family personally, you could give them like 2/5% discount. Teaching the kids should be your main objective here. But then again if they ( family) respect your work, they should pay you in full.

If you think giving them a discount would be financial devastation, Then I would suggest openly communicating with the parents or just saying you teach one at a time, keeps the lesson quality top noched.

I think you’re suggesting a 40% discount? My math may be a little rusty. 😸. Personally , I don’t think most teachers are paid enough, even without a discount.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I've never given sibling discounts. I've also been asked if I would give a military discount, and I declined to do that, as well.

That said, I have given certain discounts before. A number of years ago, when my studio was smaller, I had a loyal high school student taking 45-minute lessons who took a strong interest in both performing and composing. I asked her mom to consider upping her time to 75 minutes a week, and offered something like a 20% discount off what would have been the proportional tuition rate increase. I also told them they could lock in at that tuition level for the two years the student had left of high school.

The mom accepted, and we all happily stayed with that plan for my student's remaining time in piano/composition lessons until she went to college. It was beneficial for all of us -- the student got the extended lesson time she needed, the parents got a tuition break, and I had a delightfully ample amount of time to go in-depth with this young lady's studies; the time flew and was so enjoyable to me!

Other discounts I've given include one month's tuition reduction (by 50%) for referring a student to me who subsequently signs on. That's a one-time discount per referral, not ongoing. That's a good way to build up your studio numbers when you're first starting out, if you can afford that.

Bottom line: be very intentional in what, if any, discounts you offer; think through why to offer them.

Consider how long any discount you offer would be in effect. A sibling discount would affect your income for as long as a family has multiple siblings studying with you. That could be years.

On the other hand, if you have, say, a materials fee and you really want to offer families some sort of discount, maybe you could give a certain percentage off the cost of new books when a student or family first enrolls in your studio.

A one-time reduction in fee would be recouped after a family has been with you a fairly short time. An ongoing fee reduction for multiple siblings, however, would result in monetary loss for you for as long as two or more children from the family stay with you. The timetable is out of your hands in that scenario.

You don't want to set up something like that and then later find out you can't afford it. Analyze and plan ahead as much as possible to determine how generous you can afford to be.

Good luck!

Last edited by Andamento; 01/22/22 09:05 PM.

I disagree with the discount. It is an equal amount of work. The lesson quality should always be "top notch" in any case, because anything less is to the detriment to the student. Whether the teacher is hard up financially, or doing well financially, should not play a role. This is how this person makes their living. If the family is known personally, this can make professional relationships awkward, esp. around money, but the teacher should stay with regular fees.

Even paying for one child can be expensive for a family so here’s a suggestion:

Teach the children (I’m assuming two here) alternate weeks — you’re not discounting but it makes it easier for the parents. Yes, the kids need to practice but don’t they anyway?

If they are really young it may be enough at first to teach each one for 15 minutes.

The advantage for you: honestly able to say you never give discounts.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I think if you know the family personally, you could give them like 2/5% discount

I have reread Emily's post a few times, and I have a hunch what she was suggesting was to offer a two percent to a five percent discount. If so, that's not a bad idea: just a slight discount as a gesture to a family already established with your studio, but not enough to hurt your income.

I.e., it would represent just a couple of dollars off of a lesson, and perhaps just on child #2, not on both children.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I think if you know the family personally, you could give them like 2/5% discount

I have reread Emily's post a few times, and I have a hunch what she was suggesting was to offer a two percent to a five percent discount. If so, that's not a bad idea: just a slight discount as a gesture to a family already established with your studio, but not enough to hurt your income.

I.e., it would represent just a couple of dollars off of a lesson, and perhaps just on child #2, not on both children.

On as $50 lesson, that would be $1-$2.50
I would not want think offering a $1 discount would be appropriate— couldn’t that seem insulting ?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring

I disagree with the discount. It is an equal amount of work. The lesson quality should always be "top notch" in any case, because anything less is to the detriment to the student. Whether the teacher is hard up financially, or doing well financially, should not play a role. This is how this person makes their living. If the family is known personally, this can make professional relationships awkward, esp. around money, but the teacher should stay with regular fees.

I agree with keystring.
Of course you could always teach for free, but it wouldn't pay the bills.

Learner
M
Online Content
M
My long-time families have ended up with a "discount" because the older sibling became more advanced and got more lesson time which I charged for but did not increase the longer lesson time tuition at the same pace as shorter lesson time tuition. I also haven't had any families exceed 1 hour and 15 minutes or 3 children. By the time a family needs 1 hour and 30 minutes, I'll have to decide whether to charge as three 30's or two 45's.

Also, my students get considerable value outside their direct "lesson time" (review and feedback of their practice videos, recorded demos from me, ensemble groups, performance events), so I don't actually want my rate scaled proportionally by face lesson time. They pay for the extras/bundle whether or not they take active advantage of my expertise.

If asked about a sibling discount by a new family, I'd explain that I don't start two beginner siblings both at full lesson schedule but they will get there as their practice and skills allow. They can consider that a "discount" if they like because more time isn't necessarily useful at that stage and therefore I don't want to charge for full time and be obligated to fill up the time with "filler teaching".

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning Yamaha CP-70
by MSnow - 05/23/22 09:38 PM
Recording myself for immediate playback
by GregR - 05/23/22 07:57 PM
Yamaha sound - am I being fair?
by GregR - 05/23/22 07:46 PM
Deposit placed on new Sauter
by pianomanatee - 05/23/22 07:25 PM
Kawai GL30 or Boston 156?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/23/22 05:06 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,201
Posts3,194,007
Members105,350
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission