2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3189507 01/29/22 03:23 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Just went to a Kawai dealer and was able to negotiate either a brand new Kawai K500 for $9,900 or a brand new Kawai GL10 for $10,500. They did not have a GL10 present to play(new ones coming in next week) but they did have a GL30 which I played and loved. Between these two the K500 and the GL10 which would you prefer? I love to play Chopin, Beethoven, and some Franz Liszt. They recommended I get a baby grand since most of the Repertoire I play is advanced and requires a lot of dynamic changes and speed. They did suggest I go up to the GL20 but it’s a little out of my price range.

V
V
To me, sound of GL10 is significantly different from other GLs. You should play GL10 to see whether you really like it. The sound of GL series is also different from K upright series. It seems that the sound of GL10 is the brightest one. I personally prefer K500 if I don’t need the responsiveness of grand action or sostenuto pedal. Have a good “piano adventure”!

Every day is a gift
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Why noy get the GL30?

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Have you read this?

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/kawai/

Ideally you should play a GL10 and K500 side by side to determine which one you prefer in terms of touch and tone.

I've personally found the action of my K500 to be very responsive and perfectly fine for fast playing - but an upright is a different animal than a grand.

The K500 is at the high end of Kawai's uprights while the GL10 is at the low end of Kawai's grands.

There's a definite difference between the GL10 and GL30. I'm not surprised you loved the GL30.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have liked more of the K500s I’ve played than GL10s. But there have been a handful of well-prepped GL10 models that I thought were better than expected, considering the size. On the other hand, I like almost every K500 I’ve tried. Generally speaking, I start liking the GL series once you get to the GL30.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
From what I have read (and I suggest you review Kawai’s web sites), the K-500 is a higher quality piano. Built in Japan with upgraded features comparable to the GX series grands.

Kawai NV10
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Good luck on your choice on the new piano. Just some food for thought: when one operates a business, all products don't necessarily have the same profit margin. Some window items are advertised at low price, not to make profit but to attract customers. But after they step into the store they would be tempted by more expensive items, on which the owner would make his profit. So the question is, at those prices which one of the K-500 and GL-10 is undervalued or overvalued, or are both fairly valued? If you end up liking both the same, which one gives you more value?

A rising tide lifts all the boats
M
M
Hello,

Will any of those become your first piano?

If yes, I will recommend you to own an excellent/superior type of upright piano.

If not mistaken, K500 is manufactured in Japan and it is a higher series for upright category.

In terms of the model you mentioned, I dont really recommend GL10 due to its tone/sound. However, I have never tried K500.

I believe you can do great with an excellent quality of upright pianos.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I have a GL10 and played the K uprights a lot to compare when I was shopping. The K500 has a much nicer sound than the GL10, you need to get up to about the GL30 before it sounds about the same as the K500. I made the decision based on my preference for the grand action because I was less concerned about the sound. I was not able to distinguish between the touch of the GL10 and GL30, so if you played the GL30 you know what the GL10 will feel like. In my experience the only difference was the sound.

I see you're from Chicago, have you looked at Cordogan's? That's where I got mine and was very happy with their service and price.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
G
OP Offline
G
Nice Mark L. I just called them and spoke with Rick the store manager and he didn’t sound friendly at all but will try going in to see what pricing they offer. How much did you get your new Kawai GL10 for before taxes? I found the Piano Family and CO in Waukegan can sell me a new Kawai GL10 for 10 grand before taxes. I think that’s a good deal although I’m other posted others claim they got a new GL10 for 8 grand. If you could please help me it would be very appreciated. My budget is 10k with tax if possible. How are you liking it so far? Did you consider other pianos too? Thank you

G
OP Offline
G
Yes, I own four pianos right now. A 1999 Charles R Walter 1500 Studio that’s in IMMACULATE condition, a Yamaha, an older Everett, an a digital Kawai ES920. I was so impressed with the ES920 I decided I want to get a Kawai acoustic piano and preferably new. So I would sell all my pianos and my first thought was a full size upright so the K500 and U3 came into mind. Then I decided maybe I’ll try a baby grand. Now I’m debating between the Kawai K500 or the GL20. Which would you choose and how come? Thank you

V
V
Originally Posted by Gustavor90
Now I’m debating between the Kawai K500 or the GL20.
If you continue along this path I would look at GL30 (the first model in GL line assembled in Japan, although much more expensive) or Yamaha GC1M/GC2. That's how I ended up with GC2.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Victor66
If you continue along this path I would look at GL30 (the first model in GL line assembled in Japan, although much more expensive) or Yamaha GC1M/GC2. That's how I ended up with GC2.

The OP stated the GL20 is out of his price range — I suspect then, that the GL30 would not be a reasonable option.

V
V
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by Victor66

The OP stated the GL20 is out of his price range — I suspect then, that the GL30 would not be a reasonable option.

Yeah, I also started with GB1K/GL-10, never thought I would buy GC2. It does make sense to play them though to realize what you are loosing. OTOH I intentionally decided not to play on C2X when I was choosing between GC1M and GC2. Money is a tricky matter and very personal smile

V
V
Yes, I own four pianos right now. A 1999 Charles R Walter 1500 Studio that’s in IMMACULATE condition, a Yamaha, an older Everett, an a digital Kawai ES920. I was so impressed with the ES920 I decided I want to get a Kawai acoustic piano and preferably new. So I would sell all my pianos and my first thought was a full size upright so the K500 and U3 came into mind. Then I decided maybe I’ll try a baby grand. Now I’m debating between the Kawai K500 or the GL20. Which would you choose and how come? Thank you
Hi Gustavor, I recognize you decided to increase your budget for GL20. In case you prefer mellow sound, GL20 is much nicer than GL10 and similar to GL30 (I feel that GL10 sound is nothing similar to other GLs). The action is also very good one. After I owned GL20 then K300, I think K series sound is much mellower and has Kawai typical sound. The bass sounds of my K300 is not “deep” and clean as GL20 but there is a big improvement of bass sound in K500 vs K300. However you will find the action of GL20 is more favorable: lighter and easy to play repeated notes. When playing K series, you can feel the keyboard is “deeper” and a little bit heavier (or more “substantial” as someone said). Actually there is no piano has same sound characteristic even in same model.

Every day is a gift
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Gustavor90, what is your goal? You already have pianos (plural!) and you're willing to sell them to upgrade.

Are you dead set on buying a new piano? Because in your location, with your budget and a little patience, you would have a lot of options and a used piano will get you a lot more piano for your money.

So for example, if you want to get the best new piano you can at that budget, you might be better off getting an upright...

But if you want to get the best grand piano at that budget, and include used pianos, then you have a lot more options.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think the K500 is a really well made instrument regarding touch and tone.A larger sound for sure than the small GL10
I played.The Gl10 did have a nice tone but a much smaller tonal range than the K500.It was not bright but a darker colour more towards mellow, but sounded like really like a 48" upright.The GL20 and 30 sounded more like a really "over bright pianos"(very unlike a Kawai piano) The action and balance of the GL30 was far better than the GL20.When I tried the GL40 the tone was far better and more what I expect from Kawai.(perhaps sounding nearer to the GX series.(which are my favorites in this brand.at the moment.(not considering the Shigeru) I would choose the K500 upright, it is an excellent instrument.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Gustavor90, welcome to the forum.

Your post makes me feel a little anxious for you. On the good side, you are a pianist who plays a significant amount of advanced repertoire (which shows a serious commitment), and who has a clear idea of a realistic budget..

On the other side, it sounds like you are describing an instrument which probably will fall short of what you need to develop as a musician. You might almost get there with the K500. Kawai makes a very strong effort with its uprights, providing a very musical instrument even down in the lower-priced models. I would say, surprisingly good, which to my mind shows a very welcome commitment to pianists in the earlier years. The K500 is not in this category; it is almost at the top of the line among Kawai's uprights. You might be happy with it.

However, if you intend to grow, it really does sound like a good-quality grand is what you need to feel under your fingers and pedal foot (or feet), to hear with your ears and resonant cavities in your body, and to acquire the feel and emotional control of the nuance of sound. A good grand is just better for these things; a not-so-good grand is, well, not so good. So, it will be not so good to play, your tuner/ piano tech will be able to get less out of it for you, it will not last as well, and you will get less for it when you sell it. Although, there is always a market for lower-priced pianos.

Kawai ended production of its RX series a number of years back. I have one, and my tech is still able to draw those features and sensitivities, and the great sound, the even feel at the keyboard, the sustain. Their RX-2 model was very popular for a grand piano which would be used in a residence. Though I haven't tried it, I believe their GX-2 may be the heir to the slot filled by the RX-2. Or--- who knows--- you might find a used one that has been well-treated. And this is how we move up the piano food chain. Maybe something like this might work for you. It just takes a little clarity of vision, enough to tell you when it's time to make that next move. A little discipline, to save some cash that you might have let go up in smoke. Being clear about your values. You can make it all happen.

Best of luck to you! We would love to hear back, about what happens.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 02/01/22 01:44 AM.

Clef

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Jeff
I think you missed that his budget is around $10,000. The GX2 that you are recommending SMP is $38 000.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

I would have to choose the K500 as I haven't got room for a good grand. However if you have the budget for a GL20 consider the K800 as the alternative upright choice not the K500 - that gives you a sostenuto option and sort of a bit 'more' all round than the (excellent) K500 although their characters of the two pianos are very similar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission