2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,191 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello everyone, I am in the process of buying a digital piano as a starter piano for my daughter who will be starting piano lessons. We wanted ones with the weighted keys (can't afford acoustic). We are debating between buying a brand new piano like Korg b2SP (which will cost me 600$ approx) vs a used 6 yr old YDP162 (400$ used price - originally bought for 2000$).
From what I have read, a newer piano may be better than a older digital piano. However I have read that the YDP162 is a great piano. We will ultimately end up upgrading to a better piano in the future if my daughter takes to it.Should I go with the newer Korg vs the older yamaha? Thanks in advance.

N
NXR Offline
N
Has she been able to play both of them? For a $200 difference perhaps she could tell you which one she likes better.

I see Yamaha still sells the YDP 162 and it's on Amazon for about $1,800 US. A price used of less than 25% of new gives me a bit of pause unless it's being sold as part of an estate sale or similar.

Do you know its history? Who owned it originally and what they did with it? Light home usage, piano teacher who used it with students, etc.

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
the b2 is weird feeling, slower and sponge cake like would be my best description.

P
OP Offline
P
The YDP is lightly used- bought as a gift by grandparents and they just want to get rid of it apparently…thus the lower asking price.

Last edited by pianist2022; 07/03/22 09:53 PM.
O
O
The B2 has good volume, a nice Italian Grand (I think it's the 3rd piano tone, the default I didnt love)
It has Bluetooth Midi and USB Audio (so play YouTube or learning apps thru the Piano speakers and play at the same time).
The action is on par with other beginner Piano's in that price range from Casio, Yamaha etc.

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
The Korg B2 seems to lack an internal recording capability, which would be useful for a piano student. I’ve not played this instrument, but generally I’ve not found Korg piano actions to be competitive with Roland, Kawai, or Yamaha digital piano actions.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
N
NXR Offline
N
Originally Posted by pianist2022
The YDP is lightly used- bought as a gift by grandparents and they just want to get rid of it apparently…thus the lower asking price.

Nice. Since that model still seems to be sold I personally would go for it if it looks good and the keys feel good (none sticking down and all return to the same height). If you could take a friend along who plays to give it a tryout that would be best.

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
The action (the mechanical stuff that the key moves) of the YDP-162 is "GH" (Graded Hammer).

That's one step higher than the basic GHS (graded hammer standard) action in entry-level Yamaha DP's. I tested one, long ago, and liked it.

The YDP-162 uses a "Pure CF" sound generator, the same as on the current-generation, entry-level P125 DP ("slab" format).

A new P125 sells for $700. So $400 for a YDP-162 sounds like a pretty good deal, if all the keys play, and there's no obvious trouble.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you all - the consensus appears to be the YDP -I will check it out and update the post.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
The furniture cabinet is a liability for value on the used market. You will have to pay moving cost (in time/gas or money). I would offer $350 for it. $700 will get a new P125 delivered to your door.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you everyone for your inputs- I ended up
Buying the YDP 162 and it works great-as good as brand new. I was able to transport in my minivan.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Great! Now comes practice, practice, practice . . . 😀

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
J
J
I was just going to say to get the 162 or tell me where it’s at and I’ll get it LOL. The GH action is the reason the buy it. It is a heavier action however so make sure your daughter learns good form. In any case, that action is of a higher quality than anything else available for that price. You can always upgrade sounds through the computer or even iPad, but you can’t easily upgrade the action because you have to buy a different piano. That action will have her set for many, many years—or forever. That’s probably the best bargain you are ever going to find as long as it’s in good shape.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Look into this Alesis. I friend purchased this for his kid... I played it. Definitly not a world-class keybed but pretty darn good for the price. Much better for a beginner than those spring-loaded types. You will still need to buy a pedal, stand, and seat.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...l-pro-88-key-hammer-action-digital-piano

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
tamir on youtube said it had midi spike issues.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission