2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3240532 08/11/22 07:18 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
I've almost forgotten about this issue, since I got used to it, basically. But a question on Roland's forum "Is RD-2000 left channel biased" brought it back to life.
I asked this question on the forum mentioned above, but the level of activity there is pretty low. So, I decided to ask here too:)
In some discussion here I've already mentioned that I was really surprised after powering RD-2000 up for the first time and trying it in my headphones - sound came mainly from the left can. A little bit later I discovered Panpot parameter wich influences this. I set it up around 93-94, so that overall sound can be called approximately centered. By default, Panpot is set at 65. So, each time you turn piano on, Stage Grand default sound is strongly left channel inclined. Is it standard situation with RD-2000s? Or is it something that has later been fixed with software update (I haven't updated mine yet).

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Having played my RD-2000 through headphones, it has never occurred to me that there was a left bias. But now that you mention it, I'll probably hear it. laugh

I'll give it another try tomorrow and see if I notice anything, but seriously, the power of suggestion is, well, powerful ...

i suppose one could record it and see if the left channel is hitting higher dBs than the right, if you wanted an objective measurement.

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
Having played my RD-2000 through headphones, it has never occurred to me that there was a left bias. But now that you mention it, I'll probably hear it. laugh

I'll give it another try tomorrow and see if I notice anything, but seriously, the power of suggestion is, well, powerful ...

i suppose one could record it and see if the left channel is hitting higher dBs than the right, if you wanted an objective measurement.

Done. But it just messed things up more. The upper recording is Stage grand by default (the first sound you have turning the piano on). The lower is Stage grand with my settings (changed Panpot etc.). Thru speakers (I put them as far away from each other as possible to hear the difference better) it sounds pretty much like on the picture. Strange things happen with headphones - the upper looks slightly left-biased but sounded strongly left-biased, while the lower looks strongly right-biased but sounded centered. DP is connected to Panasonic sound system. I plugged headphones in it - same picture.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GIYa_d2VkNG6spDXiau-AkZSm-511skM/view?usp=sharing[/img]

So, the strange behavior is related to headphones, as I see. The cans themselves are OK - checked them on a couple of another devices, sounds centered.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I suppose you could record the signal from the headphone jack?

You could try flipping the headphones.

FP-90x, PX-330
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Purdyd
I suppose you could record the signal from the headphone jack?

Oh, didn't mention it - recorded directly to USB-flash drive.

You could try flipping the headphones.

It's a palliative kind of solution, I'm afraid smile

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, well it could be a problem with the signal out of the headphone jack which is why I suggested recording from the headphone jack and observing that waveform.

It could be an issue with your ears, which is why I suggested swapping the headphones around.

This is troubleshooting 101 trying to isolate where the issue is.

FP-90x, PX-330
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After a quick scan of the 28-page online manual, i do not see any reference to a pan-pot-parameter. 28 pages is pretty skimpy for a stage DP that has as much functionality as RD2000, so maybe panpot got lost in translation.

How do you access this parameter; through the internal menu system or some external app?

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
PS. Regardless of how the parameters is accessed, if you find the default 65 being left biased and 93 balanced, this seems pretty conclusive.

Last edited by drewr; 08/12/22 10:21 AM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Yes, well it could be a problem with the signal out of the headphone jack which is why I suggested recording from the headphone jack and observing that waveform.

Highly unlikely. With another devices this headphones work normally. Unless it's some kind of a problem with them and RD-2000 signal in particular (even if it is send to in-between device first) eek

It could be an issue with your ears, which is why I suggested swapping the headphones around.

That might be very unpleasant. But ears are OK, checked with my bluetooth headphones and on other devices.

Originally Posted by drewr
After a quick scan of the 28-page online manual, i do not see any reference to a pan-pot-parameter. 28 pages is pretty skimpy for a stage DP that has as much functionality as RD2000, so maybe panpot got lost in translation.

How do you access this parameter; through the internal menu system or some external app?

There is Select button on the piano and CTRL, ASSIGN, EQ and REVERB/DELAY it. Choose CTRL regulate Panpot with the third knob from the left (the first one is Volume, the second is Stereo width).

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
What else can I add... Just have played on RD a song from USB flash drive and it sounded normally in headphones, but switched to default piano sound and everything shifted left.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
RD2000 owner here...

Are you the original owner? You may try resetting the entire unit back to factory and see if that changes anything.

On my unit, using the 1st two piano sounds with headphones into the headphone jack, the sound is left-biased in the bass, and right-biased in the treble, the way it should be.

How about trying a mono piano sound. They are in there somewhere. Those should be dead center.... but again, after a whole-unit reset.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
RD2000 owner here...

Are you the original owner? You may try resetting the entire unit back to factory and see if that changes anything.

On my unit, using the 1st two piano sounds with headphones into the headphone jack, the sound is left-biased in the bass, and right-biased in the treble, the way it should be.

Yes, bought it brand new.

You know, it somehow feels overall left-shifted, but some of the highest notes seem to sound louder from the right.... I even supposed that this may be this is just that spatial effect you mention above (imitation of sitting in front of a real piano, with bass sounds coming from left and and treble from right) just not working work well for me or for this particular headphones model (Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 Ohm).

Gotta try factory reset.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've had headphones go bad where one channel (the driver) goes lower volume than the other. The way to really know is plug them into another source, say your phone or stereo, and play a single, mono frequency.

Actually you may be able to do this with your RD2000 using your PC as a source (connected via USB), and from your PC, play a single mono tone.

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I've had headphones go bad where one channel (the driver) goes lower volume than the other. The way to really know is plug them into another source, say your phone or stereo, and play a single, mono frequency.

This happens with surprising frequency IMO.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Some guy on Roland's forum wrote:" It is in fact the Piano Designer which causes this! I turned everything to 0, gaining a quite dull sound yet it renders itself stereo but balanced. I shall play with the variables and see if certain fx lend itself to creating an unbalanced sound." It's a pity that thread is dead. Along with the forum itself, I suppose - my 3 day-old question in corresponding thread hasn't even been checked by moderator yeat and remains invisible to others.
But I did as the guy did, reducing stereo width to zero besides, and got perfectly centered sound. So, the reason for forming of left-biased sound are some effects in Piano designer. And somehow headphones model may be, too - this DT 990 cans have very wide scene themselves. In in-ear buds default Stage Grand sounds OK. Put on DT 990 - and the game begins eek

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for reporting back. That's a good issue to have on my radar for future reference!

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Guys, are in your RDs Stereo width and Tone color literary the same thing? Discovered this just now. When you turn the knob and decrease Stereo width with open Piano designer, you see how Tonecolor parameter decreases too. And the other way round.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission