2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3240950 08/13/22 11:07 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I live in Northern Michigan and have found an excellent piano tuner. (My grand piano is 20 years old and hasn’t needed any work recently except tuning).
However, he isn’t a CPT. In fact, this whole region of the state has only one or two CPT’s, but several who are not. He has many years of experience and in fact comes from a family of piano technicians with decades of experience.
My question: how important is CPT? If my piano needs regulation, voicing, or major work, should I instead contact one of the rare CPT’s whom I have never worked with? Thanks!

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
what is a CPT ??

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
In the US, there isn't any official certification needed to work. The Piano Technician Guild has their own testing protocol that then requires paying yearly to maintain the status. The Master Piano technicians of America also have a title that some techs use.

So there are good and bad techs and every level in between working - whether or not they hold any specific title. I usually tell new folks in a town to check with schools, colleges, piano teachers and churches to see who they use.

If your tech gets the job done and you are satified with the service and price, I don't think you need to go outside your area in search of a title...

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Being an RPT (Registered Piano Technician) is a title earned by passing a fairly rigorous three part exam (written, bench, and tuning) administered by ones peers. Many people seek to avoid this situation at all costs. This though, does not mean that they are incompetent. It means that they don't feel they need submit themselves to any higher authority (as they see it). They may also object on the grounds that they've seen work done by RPT's that didn't meet their standards (and/or was downright bad) therefore they see no point in "joining" an organization that permits such shoddy work, etc etc...

In the final analysis, you must decide whether you are fully happy with the work this person does on a continual basis. Ask around...check some reviews (FWIW). If you're happy no need to change. Hardly anyone anywhere even knows what an RPT is anyway (Registered Physical Therapist?). This is how effective the Piano Technicians Guild has been in promoting this classification. Does it mean anything really? Yes...the majority are very good technicians of good moral character. But, they are dwindling.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
The CPT designation may be referring to a certification that is offered from Apex Piano.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Scott,

Yes, and that brings up another objection that many have...they hate paying "dues". This is a common thread among "competing" organizations. Ultimately these type of "associations" are really nothing more than a social network for people who need an identity. After all, we are a rather lonely bunch of fanatics.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I looked at the Apex site--they seem to be offering a CPT, but so does Pianotechniciansacademy.

The difference between the RPT and everything else is that to become an RPT, you have to actually go somewhere and demonstrate the skills in a timed setting.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission