2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#641754 01/13/08 02:11 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I have a Yamaha G5 in excellent condition. 30 years old, but the hammers and strings hardly look worn. The previous owner must not have played much. The hammers do have slight grooves in them from striking the strings, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. It sounds pretty good to my ears. What I want to ask about is how to best adjust the dampers.

I always thought the keys were a teeny-tiny-bit heavy. I thought the best solution would be to regulate the dampers so that they lift a little later. This makes it so the action already has some momentum when it starts to raise the damper, and the shorter travel distance for the damper means less work for the finger. The dampers used to lift as soon as you put your finger on the key, which made it difficult to play ppp.

Once that was done, I adjusted the sustain pedal for the shortest possible travel - in other words, the dampers start to lift immediately when you depress the pedal, and the pedal stops when the dampers have only just lifted from the strings, not 3 or 4 mm above as before.

The piano still sounds good, but it isn't so easy to play. When I'm playing with the sustain pedal, all resistance from the dampers lifting with each key is gone, so the key touch is dramatically lighter. How would you adjust this combination of issues?

If you have any questions, please ask. I may not have explained myself clearly enough.

Yamaha G5, 40 years old (piano and I both!)
#641755 01/13/08 04:08 PM
T
tds Offline
T
The dampers should lift when the hammer rises between 1/2 to 2/3 of its travel.

You need to have some play (lost motion) in the sustain pedal. Yamaha suggests about 1 to 2 mm. of pedal travel before the dampers start to lift. If the damper levers are sitting directly on the underlever tray, as yours are, the dampers won't work correctly, particularly if you rest your foot on the sustain pedal.

Make sure that the damper wires aren't binding in the guide rail. If they are, the guide rail bushings will have to be eased. Polish the wires where they pass through the guide rail bushing cloth.

Stay tuned.

Tom Seay, Recovering Piano Technician
Bastrop, Texas
#641756 01/13/08 04:33 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Great answer, thank you Tom. I've adjusted my piano accordingly, and I am satisfied with the result!

#641757 01/13/08 04:41 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
As Tom said, the damper system was not correctly regulated when you got the piano. 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to the string gives some pretty good flexibility in terms of how it will affect the touch. Having it lift immediately upon depressing the key can cause quite a heavy feel.

And as Tom pointed out, pedal play is necessary. Not much, but maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch at the pedal. Adjust the pedal stop capstan to stop the pedal JUST BELOW the point where the black keys lift the damper. In other words, when you depress the pedal and push a black key simultaneously, the damper which is being lifted by the black key should be slightly higher than the rest. White keys should lift the dampers to the same height that the pedal does. With that adjusted correctly, you shouldn't feel any interference with the weight of the damper system while playing.

However, if the keys aren't lifting the dampers high enough, neither will the pedal....

Originally posted by Christopher Meraz:

Once that was done, I adjusted the sustain pedal for the shortest possible travel - in other words, the dampers start to lift immediately when you depress the pedal, and the pedal stops when the dampers have only just lifted from the strings, not 3 or 4 mm above as before.

If you have any questions, please ask. I may not have explained myself clearly enough.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
#641758 01/13/08 08:34 PM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Now I was told to regulate the sustain pedal so the sharp dampers don't lift at the end of the keystroke. Yes the sharps lift the dampers higher than the whites. The damper upstop rail is set just above the point of the sustain pedal so you don't jam the levers into the felt with the pedal. Sometimes you need to replace stop felts in the trapwork to get the proper travel of the pedal to have the right lost motion.

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
#641759 01/13/08 09:04 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Keith,

I guess as a player, I don't like to feel the weighting and unweighting effect of the damper pedal lifting the dampers off the key ends when I'm at the bottom of the keystroke, particularly when playing chords.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
#641760 01/13/08 09:28 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I once wrote a fairly complete description of how to regulate dampers, which could probably be found with a search.

Semipro Tech
#641761 01/13/08 10:00 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
#641762 01/13/08 11:51 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks, all. I think we've nailed it. I read BDB's previous thread on damper regulation, seems quite thorough.

By the bye, I initially tried setting the dampers to lift when the hammer is 1/2 of the way up, but the touch became too light. 1/3 was also too light. I finally settled on a point that's probably 1/4 or less - I know it's not what you guys recommended, but it feels good. I hope you won't hold it against me!

#641763 01/14/08 12:10 AM
A
A
What goes up, must come down. Another function of that dimension is that the musician knows precisely when/where the note ends. Good reason for the standard or convention of 1/2 the key stroke from piano to piano.

Steven
RPT

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission