Piano World Home Page
Posted By: DFx Kawai VPC 1 / Pianoteq latency question - 06/30/22 02:35 AM
I have an opportunity to buy a lightly used Kawai VPC1. I would want to run the VPC1 into an iMac with Pianoteq sitting at a desk next to the piano with a 2 meter USB cable, then run another 2 meter USB cable back to a DAC/headphone amp sitting next to the VPC1. Would that length of cable cause audio latency issues? Or any other issues? Thanks all.
Posted By: Roxroth Re: Kawai VPC 1 / Pianoteq latency question - 06/30/22 03:45 AM
Cable length doesn’t matter. Latency can show up on processing level in Mac.
Signals run through a USB cable at roughly the speed of light -- 300,000 km per second.

The USB software drivers, and slow sections of the computer's operating system, might be a problem. But you can ignore the cable-length delay.

. . . Better to worry about the distance between the loudspeakers and your ears. That delay is roughly 1 millisecond _per foot_ (3 msec per meter).
Posted By: vagfilm Re: Kawai VPC 1 / Pianoteq latency question - 06/30/22 01:41 PM
Although 2m is well below the maximum limit of 5m to usb 2.0 you want to keep the length as low as possible. So if you do need a bit more than 2m, I would buy a 2m plus a 1m extension instead of one 5m cable.
Posted By: EVC2017 Re: Kawai VPC 1 / Pianoteq latency question - 06/30/22 07:17 PM
It is better having only one cable instead of the extension for reliability (less connections) and signal integrity.

Originally Posted by vagfilm
Although 2m is well below the maximum limit of 5m to usb 2.0 you want to keep the length as low as possible. So if you do need a bit more than 2m, I would buy a 2m plus a 1m extension instead of one 5m cable.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums