2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
108 members (AaronSF, Boboulus, bobrunyan, anotherscott, Alex Hutor, adamcz, andrea monza, Abdol, 18 invisible), 1,101 guests, and 495 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: Left Hand Collapsed Knuckles ranjit 2 minutes ago
I think that this is the kind of issue you could go into a lot of depth with with the right teacher.

I have heard from many teachers that done amount of strengthening the hands is required in the way you describe. What you should absolutely avoid is trying to isolate the fingers from the rest of the mechanism. That is dangerous.
7 411 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Mic + subwoofer for an acoustic piano? FrankCox 5 minutes ago
When I converted my theatre from film to digital cinema I also had a new sound system installed.

When the tech was tuning the lfe speaker (subwoofer) he said, "You'll probably have to clean the seats after this; it tends to bring a bunch of dirt down from the ceiling."
4 101 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Re: DPs that support audio over USB: questions drewr 8 minutes ago
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by drewr
Of course nobody here has any way of previously knowing this, but in the mid to late 90’s, i thought about - how hard would it be to develop a device that was not a full PC but had enough intelligence to function solely as a USB host
but a USB host still needs software/drivers in order to actually do anything. So the question is, what do you want to plug into it? You can currently get devices that are USB hosts that do nothing except provide MIDI connections.

Yep.
20 329 Read More
Re: Do soundboards become more resonant with use? Withindale 9 minutes ago
Leaving magic ingredients with apothecaries for now, the root of this discussion was Fazioli's aim to isolate the the soundboard from the rest of the piano, acoustically. Fazioli's clarity or sterility of sound, whatever you choose to call it, has to be the result from what they have done to achieve that aim.

They say they construct their rims to minimise the amount of energy escaping from the soundboard. Had they been completely successful in that aim (a physical impossibility, I know) then changes in tone and timbre must come from changes in the hammers, the strings, the plate, and the soundboard including the bridge and the ribs.

The question here was whether a significant part of the changes in tone of the F278 in Singapore could have come from the soundboard.

In a previous thread William Truitt described his experiments with different woods for bridge caps. Some produced a richer sound and others did not. In other words changing the properties of the caps affected the tone. In this case the bridge caps have not changed but William says soundboards do"come up". That implies the properties of the soundboard must change a bit.

The pianist said the sound of the F278 was more "malleable" and that would with accord with a (slightly) more "malleable" soundboard.

According to the Fazioli paper, small changes in stress in the soundboard can have have a big effect on sound. Minor (geometrical) changes in the rim due to settling in could conceivably produce such changes in stress. Who knows whether they would be beneficial or detrimental to the sound.

I'd say be guided by observation and experience.
66 2,329 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum Jump to new posts
Re: What to expect from a great piano teacher? ranjit 15 minutes ago
Originally Posted by dogperson
Ranjit
You csn have a teacher who has a doctorate in performance from a top conservatory but that does not mean they would be a great teacher. They may not even be a good teacher. All you know is that they play well.
I'm saying it's necessary but not sufficient to be an excellent pianist. It's not that hard to understand.
29 1,147 Read More
Re: Weird bar in Henle 3rd scherzo AaronSF 16 minutes ago
My Henle does not contain the C#, and the editor's notes do not explain its absence. I looked at the Gutmann manuscript, and I see it also does not contain the C#. I also have a Könemann urtext edition which includes the C#, and the editor simply notes it is missing in the Gutmann manuscript. The editor also says that in editing this scherzo:

"As the main source, Gutmann has been used, which may have been based on the same manuscript as the French edition. This manuscript now lost was probably altered by Chopin after the publication of the French edition and before the copy made by Gutmann. Gutmann also evinces some deficiencies in certain places; thus where the Notes draw attention to this, it is worth taking the French edition into consideration as an alternative option. The German edition is based on the Gutmann manuscript."

I'm guessing the C# in question was one of those "deficiencies" in the Guttman manuscript.
7 255 Read More
Re: Yamaha hybrid piano discontinued in Japan. Boboulus 17 minutes ago
Originally Posted by vagfilm
Originally Posted by Boboulus
... without needing a wife dongle.

That alone will cause sales to skyrocket...

And the best part is that Boboulus EDITED the post, but left this sentence... Freudian slip?

… no comments
😇
23 1,102 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal issues BDB 20 minutes ago
The sostenuto bar, which turns to catch the tabs on the damper underlevers, is either sticking, or too close to the tabs. The tabs are catching on it. You will need to remove the action to adjust it.
1 32 Read More
Re: Kawai announces new Novus NV10S & NV5S hybrid pianos Jon358 23 minutes ago
Originally Posted by InspiredByKawai
You can adjust the pianos minimum touch in virtual technician between 1-20 and also the adjust for low volume selection in the main settings on a scale of off to 5.

Thank you. Whether it's correct or not, it's mechanical in nature and doesn't actually throw the hammer, so there's no effect with digital settings such as these.
597 58,146 Read More
Re: Kawai CA79 / CA99 owners club InspiredByKawai 32 minutes ago
My ca99 sounds excellent when playing back music through Bluetooth but I don't have anything else to compare it to aside from an amazon alexa which obviously it sounds much better than.
3,105 477,021 Read More
Re: Kawai NV5 Or NV10? TonyDIGITAL 44 minutes ago
It will be hard if one does have to choose I guess - NV5 for sound board and NV10 for grand action: see details here on Merriam Piano NV5 vs NV10 according to Stu Harrison
2 110 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Learning and strong emotions... malkin 54 minutes ago
Thankfully, Piano World Forum is not Reddit.
12 284 Read More
Re: Recommend Techs in Santa Fe drewhpianoman 1 hour ago
Cy relocated to the east coast maybe VA.
5 115 Read More
Re: forScore, page turns, MIDI, Kawai DP 9190 1 hour ago
For me personally, other tablets, if their screen size is no larger than that of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, are not of interest. But this is already more interesting. I hope this will push Apple to release a larger iPad with a screen with proportions of 3:2 (after all, 4:3 is quite "square" for sheet music).
53 2,865 Read More
Re: Upgrade to Used Upright or Advanced Digital Piano? Serge88 1 hour ago
Upright pianos hold their values over the years but not digital piano.
2 69 Read More
Re: 12.9" iPad Pro for sheet music replacement: which gen/year? Learux 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
Originally Posted by Learux
Boox max lumi might be a worthy contender.

[/video
Have you used it for playing the piano?

I have not, I am using a MS surface pro for that. This looks very promising and think it has potential to be a Ipad/Surface replacement.

I have heard good things about it though.
25 488 Read More
Re: Got my Yamaha P121 today, a short story Alfred La Fleur 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by magicpiano
The DP is in good conditions, right?
Seems like it.

So don't think too much about that dear sweet girl. In the worst case you may fall in love with her! grin
Ahah! laugh
Given the circumstances, that would be extremely messed. (Overall, not my type)
28 758 Read More
Re: Blüthner patent action una corda slot invincing 1 hour ago
Thanks Adypiano for the detailed explanation!

Below is an image of the una corda lever that pushes the action. So should there be some padding on the lever? On the other end of the lever there's a round leather padding (the lyre rod is pushing on that padding), but here it's just iron directly pushing the wood.

[Linked Image]

BTW I figured out what's wrong with the image in the original post - if you browse the forum with https, it works, if you browse with http, it doesn't. The image was embedded with https URL, so if I'll try with just plain http in this post, let's see if it works better...

Here's also the first image embedded with plain http URL:
[Linked Image]
4 179 Read More
Re: Is practicing on a lower-end Digital piano good? drewr 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I don't know how to make a good cake but I know a good cake from a bad cake.

Oooh! Did someone mention cake? Mine's a whacking great slice of Victoria Sponge please. Don't skimp on the buttercream. And none of your gluten-free rubbish neither - I want to be able to swallow it without having to chew 100 times.

Taking a page out of Steve Martin’s can’t fail simple procedure for becoming a millionaire, Step 1 - get a million bucks. For good cakes, substitute liberally step 1 ) get a good cake or failing that, 1B) marry someone who knows how to make good cakes, failing those, take a page out of macmacmac’s solution ...... eerily similar to George Carlin’s segment on strange expressions “ man that REAlly takes the cake! .... where do you take a cake? .... down to the bakery to visit all the other pastries.
94 3,080 Read More
Re: Kawai ES920 bug report + question Chummy 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by Chummy
a 100% software issue.

So to clarify, this mean that...

Originally Posted by myself
...you are able to reproduce this behaviour consistently (i.e. the SK Concert Grand sound is selected every time you press a sound button)

Correct?

Kind regards,
James
x

This happens pretty often, meaning most of my sessions with my ES920 it happens at least once. Obviously if it happened only once or twice a year I wouldn't have thought much about it nor I'd remember this is a thing probably... but I find it hard to determine what causes this nevertheless since I have no access to the software, not knowledge of how it is programmed and there are way too many contributing factors to be able to do proper diagnosis. I WILL try to video film it just like the last bug I caught, it may take me a couple of days since I'm a bit on the busy side right now. Hopefully I can catch it and post an update in this thread.
6 268 Read More
Piano Photo Gallery - Pictures of Pianos Jump to new posts
Blüthner patent action una corda lever end invincing 2 hours ago
This is the end of the una corda lever in a grand piano with Blüthner patent action. Should there be some padding here (felt, leather)?
0 6 Read More
Re: Lightweight and cheap piano VST recommendation matschulat 2 hours ago
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. My list of criteria was a little tight indeed, but I'll explore the possibilities suggested here.
27 1,060 Read More
Re: Difficulty Ranking of the Following Pieces Sweelinck 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by AmPianistComposer
What is the most difficult piece among these?
Please do consider ranking them [musically/technically/both].
1) "Liszt- Un Sospiro"
2) "Rachmaninoff- Moment Musicaux Op 16 No.4"
3) "Chopin- Heroic Polonaise Op 53"

I love all of these pieces and all of them are completely different from each other.
I also plan to learn them. Which of them should I be approaching first and which last?

Any piece of advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you!

With respect to Chopin Polonaises Op 53 or 44, I would suggest that you should already be able to play one of the earlier Polonaises well, such as Op 40 #1 in A, before attempting Op 44 or 53.

I have not played Rachmaninov 16/4 (and have no plans to try to learn it) so I'm hesitant to suggest a preparatory piece, but the Chopin Prelude in G, Op 28 #3 has a fast left hand figuration with simple melody in the right hand. I'm guessing that this prelude, which is by no means easy, will be less difficult than Rachmaninov 16/4, and a good milestone along the way of developing the technique for 16/4. The Chopin Etude 10/12 is also a good left hand workout.
7 850 Read More
Re: Gift Piano from Elton John? cygnusdei 2 hours ago
The Atlantic ocean might have something to do with it, too.
6 282 Read More
Bronzing Powder Mixing Turning Yellow Gold into Deep Gold Chernobieff Piano 2 hours ago
I had a supply problem finding Deep Gold to spray the piano plates with. Video shows a fix by mixing powders.

-chris
0 51 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal issues
by Lance Jensen - 09/17/21 04:49 PM
Upgrade to Used Upright or Advanced Digital Piano?
by Connor5522 - 09/17/21 03:44 PM
Bronzing Powder Mixing Turning Yellow Gold into Deep Gold
by Chernobieff Piano - 09/17/21 03:18 PM
Kawai NV5 Or NV10?
by Tenor1 - 09/17/21 02:53 PM
Mic + subwoofer for an acoustic piano?
by WinstonSmith - 09/17/21 02:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,159
Posts3,133,062
Members102,758
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission