2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
99 members (Alan F, accordeur, 36251, Alex Hutor, Ali B, ambrozy, Adagiette, Almaviva, Anglagard44, 19 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 595 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Re: International Chopin Competition Megathread Brendan 6 minutes ago
12 as predicted! At this point, I'm seeing it as either Gadjiev or Armellini for the gold. Hoping for Sorita to win a top prize.
202 11,918 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Using Easy Piano Tuner RonTuner 7 minutes ago
That's one of the side benefits of using a quality ETD that measures lots of notes. The software is able to do the work of creating decent progressions on scales that might otherwise prove frustrating to tune.

Digging deeper into the controls lets the tech decide which intervals to favor, or to come up with a more even balance between competing progressions.

Ron Koval
270 49,967 Read More
Pianist Corner - Non Classical Jump to new posts
Re: Shell voicings? Polishookpiano 10 minutes ago
Ears or formulas or both? WHICH jazz pianists used shell voicings in which styles and why? Why, as in, what’s the musical advantage in using them? What kind of sound (or style) do they exemplify? Bud Powell and bebop are part of the answer.

Another question is in jazz repertoire and history what kind of left-hand voicings preceded shell voicings? A lot of answers and information there as well.

Why is all that extra information, which one acquires by ear, helpful? Because one acquires it by listening to recordings of great pianists and that, in turn helps us to know what’s what and why.

Or, more simply, shell voicings? Listen to Bud Powell ….
4 119 Read More
Re: carpal tunnel Jun-Dai 11 minutes ago
For the piano playing side of things:

My teacher's teacher was Arrau, who put a lot of focus on minimising wrist usage when playing piano, and doing as much as possible with the weight of one's arm. He mentioned that a number of injured pianists came to Arrau (and his disciples) to study and many found they could still play piano, and Garrick Ohlsson was the famous example. My teacher himself (German Diez) had had a few students referred to him after they'd developed carpal tunnel.

You might check this book out: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Piano-Lessons-Claudio-Arrau-Philosophy/dp/0199924341. I've not read the whole thing, but it does go quite a bit into his technique, and it's a pretty interesting (though long) book anyways.

I've transferred a lot of what I learned from studying under my teacher into my computer usage as well (I've been typing into keyboards my whole career) — I think it's helped me avoid a lot of potential issues, but that's just my anecdotal sense of it.

I wish you all the best in finding a way to make it work.
8 393 Read More
Adult Beginners Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Learning Piece From the End ShiroKuro 22 minutes ago
Originally Posted by keystring
The "backward" idea can be a door opener to a much broader idea of flexible ways of approaching music.

This, exactly!!

To discount this approach out of hand is to ignore the reality of being an adult beginner, and also an adult non-beginner as well.
30 339 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Piano Finishes and Finish Repair tre corda 24 minutes ago
Yes very detailed covering new and older pianos.
2 94 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Re: Kawai CA79 / CA99 owners club fr34k 27 minutes ago
Another rather funny bug:
If you start a sound demo from the PR and then disconnect via the touchscreen, you can play two sound demos simultaneously but you can only stop the demo by connecting the PR again, then selecting another sound demo and then stoping that. You cannot stop the playing from the touchscreen.
3,210 513,809 Read More
Re: Question on pedal use from adult learner Jun-Dai 30 minutes ago
I think the comparisons between pedalling and church acoustics are not apt. For one thing, the church acoustics are a fixed element of the sound and not one that changes from note to note. And more importantly there's a big difference between the sound of the sustaining of a note and of the reverb of a note in a room.

Barring the muddiest of acoustic settings, the reverb will not interfere much with the clarity of counterpoint — you can hear when a note stops, even if there's an ethereal lingering of it in the air afterwards. But if you press the pedal, there is no chance for counterpoint to be made clear until you lift the pedal. If Bach wants a note to end after a beat and a half, and you hold the pedal down for two beats, you have lost that relationship, and notes of the same voice will overlap in exactly the same way as notes of different voices overlap.

For Bach music that his very counterpoint-focused — fugues and inventions, etc., you really cannot use pedal for anything more than light "glue" — very brief pedalling, and if that really starts to become audible, it (in my experience) always sounds terrible. The Dinnerstein video above may be rather legato (too much for my tastes, but it works), but that's all in the fingers, I don't really detect any pedalling, so if it's there it's very subtle.

For the less contrapuntal music, the pedalling can have some very interesting effects. I prefer the first prelude without pedal, but it still sounds nice with pedal. The Gould example above creates some wonderful effects with the pedal and has convinced me to experiment a bit more with pedal in the suites and toccatas.
21 1,111 Read More
Piano Teachers Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Masks during the lesson ? jdw 45 minutes ago
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by jdw
Hmm, looking up EDV I get End-diastolic volume and elektronische Datenverarbeitung....

The original poster who opened the topic goes by "EDV", like you go by "jdw". (I almost got caught out too. your second one becomes EDP in English - Electronic Data Processing). But no, EDV is a person's handle in the forum. wink

Ah yes, missed that. Also, I was trained to expect a comma after a name being addressed--way old school. I didn't even realize I was looking for that till its absence made me misread (not saying it should have been there, just that old habits die hard.)
23 893 Read More
Re: Pronunciation .... lol Jun-Dai 48 minutes ago
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
This reminds me of a friend from Italy - she said it's LAT-te, not lat-tay. And she rolled her eyes at 'frappuccino' 🙄

I feel weird ordering a latte, since that's just milk, but if I ask for a caffè latte, sometimes they get confused and respond with something like "a what sort of latte? an oat milk latte?" 🤷‍♂️
46 1,970 Read More
Re: weekly vs. bi weekly lessons Csj24 59 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by Csj24
I always find that lesson day has crept up on me and I haven't practiced as much as I should have. (I play a lot, but don't always practice the things my teacher says to practice. The pieces she gives me are so easy that I neglect them until the last minute.)

And during the lesson, due to not enough practising, you play them with so many flaws that she continues to give you easy pieces! laugh

Actually, I can play them fine myself with no flaws without much practice. Everything in that adult Faber book two is very easy. It's playing in front of others that is so hard. I know I'm going to play everything badly anyway so it demotivates me to practice everything to perfection. Half the reason I have a teacher right now is so I can hopefully get over this eventually.
20 687 Read More
Re: Garritan CFX vs VSL CFX? David Lai 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by johanibraaten
Ok, so I bought the VSL CFX. It's good and the realism is great. However, the regulation/voicing/tuning is a little uneven to a degree that is kind of annoying.
There is a few note that is out of tune and strangely tuned differently in different velocity layers. This is most noticeably on E7 where softer layers have a lower pitch, but you can hear in on other notes as well. There are also some notes that are panned to right or left heavily compared to nearby notes that makes it a bit awkward when playing with headphones. I wish there was a way to adjust this in the note-per-note edit but I don’t think there is, or am I wrong?
Maybe this is a considered approach from VSL to make it more lifelike and realistic and perhaps it does on a recording, but as a playing/practicing piano it could be a little more even IMO.

Does the Garritan has these kinds of ”issues” (there is still a couple of days left on my two weeks trial period😊)?

Other than that it’s a great piano😊🎶

Well, the VSL CFX is particularly bad when it comes to keeping the piano in tune, in my opinion. Also, for me, the biggest problem I find with VSL Synchron pianos is that they don't have una corda (soft pedal) samples. The Garritan CFX does have them, and the tuning is better managed. And with careful mixing, you can reduce the hiss that is felt in the lower velocity layers.

I'm now mainly using the Garritan CFX if I want that Yamaha sound.
28 1,999 Read More
Re: How to Set VSL Latency in GarageBand VladK 1 hour ago
Not sure what driver you use, but I set the buffer size in my driver control panel. VSL uses it as well, just lets you set it directly from player.
1 61 Read More
Re: Can someone explain this? bennevis 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Tatum125s
He doesn't do it in live performances, I didn't think he would either, its not a ritual then because he doesn't do it...ritualistically, and I never described it as a ritual, just specific, and richter isn't just any pianist. So are you saying you don't understand why he's doing it or that it's a weird and wonderful thing that he's doing before touching the keyboard ?
That's right. People do all sorts of unfathomable things. Just in the past few days, two different (unrelated) mothers brought their toddlers in, who were blinking hard every now and then, like owls (though I don't know how owls blink, not being an ornithologist). They wanted to know why. Who knows? Maybe they saw some other kid (or horror! - adult) doing it, and thought it was cool? Or they just wanted to annoy their parents? Or they just wanted to see me? cool

Whatever turns them on.......

So - maybe Richter, seeing that he was being filmed, did the very British thing called "touch wood": he did spend a lot of time in Britain, playing concerts at his friend Benjamin Britten's new concert hall in a converted barn in Snape Maltings, so he knew all about weird & wonderful British idiosyncrasies wink - entreating Schubert's ghost for help so that he didn't mess him up........
10 363 Read More
Re: Key pivot length ambrozy 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Gombessa
One thing I think but am not certain of--if the keystick (+ pivot) length increases, then presumably for the same size piano the soundboard must have a smaller length/surface area?

Yes but we talking like 3cm difference, it is insignificant if properly compensated with design of other parts (soundboard shape, bridge placement). There is also other thing, for the same string length (bass end) longer key means that hammer strike point is further from termination point (little closer to the center of the string) it changes tone and actually can be beneficial in small grands because it gives more of lowest frequencies.

In concert grands where bass strings are very long (speaking length usually 200cm) proper strike point is very far from the front of the instrument and keys have to be very long and usually bass end keys are actually even longer than treble end and action is slanted.

[Linked Image]
76 15,879 Read More
Re: Can't find Digital Piano with features I want...HELP Jonky Ponky 1 hour ago
Originally Posted by drewr
Originally Posted by Jonky Ponky
Forgetting all the technical side of how the sounds work (and I do know how they work because I have made some of my own soundfonts) I thought I'd post an example of a stock standard free midi file backing of Your Song played on the Sweet Midi app on an iPhone with a free GM soundfont from my site. Its not perfect by any means (I added some cymbol taps at the beginning to keep me in time when I mute the piano) but it makes use of a 6 velocity layer piano, a 4 velocity layer acoustic bass and a steel guitar that I compliled with some help from the guy who sampled it.
https://soundcloud.com/john-nebauer/gm-soundfont-your-song?si=35ba31130e7545a698e3d9215eb6687b

Since i mostly know things - DP - midi in theory but not practice, im curious to know if you have played your modified-from-stock file on different DPs, especially on different brands of midi-capable DPs and if yes, can you comment on how those sounded to your ears comparing one to the others?

Many DPs dont have a built in GM sound set so its impossible to expect anything useful from say my Yamaha P121 which only has a dozen sounds. Even on my Korg Pa3x (an arranger) midis do not sound great using the default GM sound set. I have to swap GM sounds for the extended secondary sounds to get a much more pleasing result and usually some re-mixing of volumes is also required. The free GM sounsets on my site are a compromise between easy compatability and quality in that they play quite well without modification except perhaps for some volume tweaking.
42 2,937 Read More
Re: 30 days to Quarterly Recital #64! ShiroKuro 2 hours ago
cygnusdei, I think you're right. In the past, I think there was a general understanding that "no comments" meant only "no corrective/instructive feedback." I don't think anyone interpreted it as "please do not say anything about my piece." But when there are more options, then "no comment," I think, will come to mean "do not say anything about my piece."

Although, the YT parallel isn't very apt, because on YT it's all or nothing, and I think what Sam is trying to do is get away from the all or nothing set up.

Sam, thank you, if you're able to tweak it, that would be great! I would add "comments" if possible:

"Polite and supportive comments only - no suggestions for improvement please".

If these are getting too wordy, could it be something like:
1. No comments
2. Supportive comments only
3. Constructive criticism and instructive feedback welcome

(No, I guess it's not possible to make it more concise... whome
14 366 Read More
Re: 1/6 Comma meantone rysowers 2 hours ago
Hi Hombre,

It really helps to some background study on this topic to get a basic orientation to the concept of meantone style tuning.

First is to grasp what a comma actually is: I think a practical way to explore the comma is to tune a series of 4 perfect 5ths. If you started on middle C, I would tune the following basic pattern.

Tune up a 5th, up another fifth and then down a pure octave. Up a fifth, up a fifth and down and octave.

C4-G4, G4-D5, D5-D4, D4-A4, A4-E5, E5-E4

Tune everything as pure as you can and then see what the resultant C4-E4 third sounds like. If you are doing things correctly it will be a pythagorian 3rd and its *very* edgy and fairly dissonant.

Then, play around with flattening the fifths in the sequence until you are able to get the resultant C4-E4 third pure. Then you can try for some pleasant middle ground: That will put you in the realm of 1/6 comma style.
1 102 Read More
Re: Kawai CA99/CA79/NV10S/NV5S software update thread Galuwen 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Ali B
Hello,

I was super excited about the new firmware update specially for user temperament settings.

LCD update v1.2.0 completed successfully but firmware update v2.08 has been going for almost an hour and the message on the screen still says "Writing...". I'm getting worried. Don't want to turn off the piano or take out the USB key and have no idea how long more the update can take.

Anybody else has any issues with system update v2.08?

Thanks

Same here. I waited 2 hrs. After that I hold the off button 5s (hard power down) and the update went well. After that shock moment I did the complete update a second time for safety and it worked as described (with "done").

So don't worry you can redo the update.
116 15,772 Read More
Re: This is much better than an iPad Animisha 2 hours ago
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Originally Posted by Animisha
Qazsedcft, what screen is it? I would absolutely love that!
It's a Gigabyte G34WQC. I bought it for 2000 PLN (about 500 USD).

Thank you! A tad above my budget though. laugh
20 490 Read More
Re: Mid Part of Piano not WORKING properly after Disassembly EB5AGV 2 hours ago
Please, let us know how and what products you used to clean the contacts, as what seems to me is that the conductivity of the pads has been drastically reduced
3 135 Read More
Re: Looking for eight ivory fronts P W Grey 3 hours ago
Originally Posted by BDB
The problem with ivory fronts is that they expand and contract differently from the wood they are glued to, which is why manufacturers stopped using them so many years before they stopped using ivory for keytops. They cracked or came unglued all the time. Steinway glued them to pieces of wood in the vain hope that would stabilize them; that just caused the wood to curl up and break loose.

I have not been able to get a straight answer from the Attorney General whether it is legal or not to deal with ivory parts in my state, and at this point, I would just rather replace them with a modern material. Ivory is a pain to deal with, and I can replace the tops and fronts more easily than I can fix just a few ivory pieces, so I can use the restrictions as an excuse. I do not need to run the risk.

If I'm not mistaken, you might very well become a felon in your state if you mess around too much with ivory. (That would be cool, wouldn't it?)

😁😊😉

Peter Grey Piano Doctor
7 325 Read More
Re: Korg D1 with iReal Pro Serge88 4 hours ago
I checked the specs and it seems there is no line in.

Connections LINE OUT (L/MONO, R), MIDI (IN, OUT), Headphones, DAMPER

You can get a bluetooth speaker and connect the iPhone to it. That's what I do.
2 116 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Chopin Competition 2021 Piano Tone Quiz tre corda 4 hours ago
Great adverts for S&S here! If the competitors do not choose S&S and choose Yamaha CFX or Shigeru they are likely to be musically defective in some way.How nice? 😉
6 412 Read More
Piano Photo Gallery - Pictures of Pianos Jump to new posts
TV score display thepianoplayer416 5 hours ago
TV score display
0 10 Read More
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Finishes and Finish Repair
by Larry Fine - 10/16/21 02:57 PM
How to Set VSL Latency in GarageBand
by TylerMorgan1 - 10/16/21 02:39 PM
Korg D1 with iReal Pro
by Johnmak - 10/16/21 09:40 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,621
Posts3,140,161
Members103,023
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission