2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Carey, brennbaer, 0day, Alex Hutor, AndrewJCW, Burkhard, Animisha, 8 invisible), 729 guests, and 214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Key Notes,

I don't know whether or not you know of this link, but if you follow it you will see the number of entrants in the recital, a countdown clock and a "Show Me" link to click that will display the names, order of entry and entry name with composer listed.

http://abf.make247.co.uk/

I'm not a big fan of Lang Lang, but I don't deny his virtuosity. Here is a link to him playing Liszt's "Liebestraum No. 3" that is a quite sensitive performance (if I look away while listening) wink . IMO, he can get carried away with cadenzas, but in this performance I believe there is only one that he plays too quickly for my taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubVVSWHkxs8

I hope you find these links informative and enjoyable.

Regards,

Lisztener

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There's a similar thread in "Piano Forum" where I posted my intent to boycott watching the Olympics because of China's poor records on human rights and environmental concerns. And let's not forget the fact the foreign journalists have been denied complete freedom of access to the internet or that an athlete was denied a visa because he spoke against the regime. How about the lack of safety regulations on products exported from China? Labor laws? The fact that China attempted to improve the air quality of Beijing not by shutting or regulating industry but by moving it to the hinterlands with no improvement in pollution standards. All that pollution moves East via the jetstream to the western U.S. The list goes on. Please consider joining me in my protest.

Best regards,

Deborah
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
does anyone know that there're some ceremony video clips on youtube? i watched a bunch last night.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gooddog:
There's a similar thread in "Piano Forum" where I posted my intent to boycott watching the Olympics because of China's poor records on human rights and environmental concerns. And let's not forget the fact the foreign journalists have been denied complete freedom of access to the internet or that an athlete was denied a visa because he spoke against the regime. How about the lack of safety regulations on products exported from China? Labor laws? The fact that China attempted to improve the air quality of Beijing not by shutting or regulating industry but by moving it to the hinterlands with no improvement in pollution standards. All that pollution moves East via the jetstream to the western U.S. The list goes on. Please consider joining me in my protest.
There's been loads of bad publicity for the Olympics. The worst I saw was this "pamphlet" distributed about how to treat "special needs" athletes and it was almost like they were of a different species or something, that's how it was worded.

But with the politics aside, at least now that the Olympics have begun I think boycotting them is harming all the athletes who worked very hard to get there as much it is a political statement.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm sure NBC pays a pretty penny to air the Olympics in the US so they want to get something back.
If I remember correctly, I read that NBC paid $900 million for the US broadcast right. eek

I watch all commercial TV using a function similar to Tivo on my Digital Video Recorder - commercials? fast forward! There is no other way to tolerate commercial TV otherwise.

BTW, I love the costumes too. Very high fashion chic. And the Tai Chi circle. And the "boat thingie". And the drums. And... It was very well done indeed. That has got to be the biggest fireworks of the century!

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Missed the opening ceremonies, but heard there has been some controversy. The authorities are really watching how the media reports this outside of China...

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Signa, I agree with you - far to many commericials, why they can't use the crawl method is beyond me.

The opening ceremonies were amazing for want of of a better word. Special effects, dancers, it must have been a thrill for those who were in attendance.

Good luck to all athletes. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Key Notes - thought you and some others might like to take a quick listen to this thread-appropriate piece, which nicely captures the spirit of "The Games" - it's from Alfred 2, so you'll now know another piece to look forward to in your relentless and fun-filled progression thru this excellent instructional series - Enjoy!

Olympic Procession

Regards (let the Games & the Music begin smile ), JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Lisztener:
Key Notes,

I don't know whether or not you know of this link, but if you follow it you will see the number of entrants in the recital, a countdown clock and a "Show Me" link to click that will display the names, order of entry and entry name with composer listed.

http://abf.make247.co.uk/

I'm not a big fan of Lang Lang, but I don't deny his virtuosity. Here is a link to him playing Liszt's "Liebestraum No. 3" that is a quite sensitive performance (if I look away while listening) wink . IMO, he can get carried away with cadenzas, but in this performance I believe there is only one that he plays too quickly for my taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubVVSWHkxs8

I hope you find these links informative and enjoyable.

Regards,

Lisztener
Hi Lisztener,

Thanks for the links, especially the list of recital entrants' link. I knew that there must be one somewhere whithin the 11th recital submission thread but I haven't yet gone looking it.

As usual, I look forward to listening to everyone's submissions. thumb

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lisztener:
[qb] Sorry, accidentally double-posted.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Frank:
Key Notes - thought you and some others might like to take a quick listen to this thread-appropriate piece, which nicely captures the spirit of "The Games" - it's from Alfred 2, so you'll now know another piece to look forward to in your relentless and fun-filled progression thru this excellent instructional series - Enjoy!

Olympic Procession

Regards (let the Games & the Music begin smile ), JF
Hi JF,

Thank you so much for this wonderful and timely gift. thumb

Yes, I'm certainly looking forward to learning this piece eventhough book 2 still seems so far away yet. frown

Thanks again for sharing this wonderful tune with us, and as usual, thanks for all of your help and encouragements.

Best regards,

Key Notes smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hey, is it just me or did anyone else remember seeing 3 of those chinese gymnasts in a huggies commercial last year?.

If you look closely, one of the Chinese *women* seems to have just lost her baby teeth and her new *adult* teeth are starting to come in.

To bad I'm NOT kidding!!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The guy that got second place in this piano competition.
http://pianoamateurs.com/photos_2008.html

He met him in person just last month, he looked just like a 15 year old. But he is really much older than that and he is a PhD student.

D
D
Originally posted by hotkeys:
Missed the opening ceremonies, but heard there has been some controversy. The authorities are really watching how the media reports this outside of China...

- Mark
Yeah. The girl singing at the beginning was doing a Milli Vanilli.
Link
Also there was some CGI fireworks...
Link

My take on this is that this is a show. So if they want to trick us, then fine.
But I do feel bad for the little girl who was replaced at the last minute.

Anyway I downloaded the show because I missed most of it.

Lang Lang with the little girl who refused to mime her part. Lang Lang starts playing her part and she is trying to slap his hands away. laugh It's a fake piano (I'm not expecting it to be real though). When he plays her part the piano starts wobbleing.
I don't think this girl is that interested in the Piano.
I took a few screenshots.
[Linked Image]

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Hey, is it just me or did anyone else remember seeing 3 of those chinese gymnasts in a huggies commercial last year?.

If you look closely, one of the Chinese *women* seems to have just lost her baby teeth and her new *adult* teeth are starting to come in.

To bad I'm NOT kidding!!
They either need to drop the age requirement completely or substitute something that is verifiable, like a height or weight requirement. As it stands, countries with government control over both documents and Olympic programs have an unfair advantage.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A lot of people always complain that the old spirit has gone lost; that there is too much money involved, too much commercial mentality, too little of those simple values of honest competition among honest people loving sport which is at the very root of this event.

When, though, the games begin, or end, many people (journalists first) wants to see something more spectacular, more expensive, more megalomaniac than what has been done before, as if a country could and should be measured by the sheer decadence of what it can dish to his people.

This costs a lot of money; which will have to be retrieved with a lot of money from TV royalties; this in turn will have to be recovered either with a deluge of commercials or with the mandatory TV license money (as dear BBC does).

The tv chains who spend the money must give maximum publicity to the heroes of the day.

Latter are not like, say, a footballer who can count on 10 or fifteen years of maximum and continued notoriety. On the contrary, they throw an entire career in a couple of days, or in a handful of seconds, and the millions of $$ that go with it.

Beside, you can fill Maradone with cocaine but he will not become a fundamentally better football player; and you'll never make of a footballer a Maradona no matter what doping substances you give to him.....
But a gifted swimmer or athlete, with the right boost....

No surprise some years ago the most famous trainers and doctors working for these athletes were.... the best toxicologists around.... and they were paid astronomical sums, too....

I have subsequently stopped following athletic, I hope the situation has changed by now.

-----------------------------------------------

Next time is London's turn.

I do hope they will try to get the spirit of the competition right and transmit an image of sober simplicity and simple beauty rather than trying to overspend the Chinese and surpass them in megalomania.

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
After faking the girl who sang the patriotic song, they also faked the ethnicity of the children allegedly representing all 56 ethnic groups but in fact all representing the dominant one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...xposed-as-fakes-in-opening-ceremony.html

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/08/22 10:22 PM
OT-ish: what kind of Yamaha is this?
by ShiroKuro - 08/08/22 06:53 PM
Crack on soundboard
by phucahwa - 08/08/22 05:43 PM
Cage:Sonatas and Interludes
by pianoloverus - 08/08/22 05:31 PM
Bluetooth Pedal - page turner
by danno858 - 08/08/22 04:00 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,303
Posts3,214,910
Members106,036
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission