2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (antune, 0day, Bill McKaig,RPT, BMKE, accordeur, 5stringbanjo, AJB, 13 invisible), 670 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hi guys,

What was the first piece of music you learnt to play?

I'll start the ball rolling....

For me it was Beethoven's Ode to Joy.

Mark

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Probably Fur Elise. I am sure that it is super common as well.

There is hope in the despair.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Something by Bach, Minuet in G? also a minuet by Beethoven - don't remember which was first -It's been almost 50 years -and my fave - a simplified version of Chopin's funeral march (kids are so grisly)

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Paderewski's Minuet in G (the main theme, anyway ... minus the turns).

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Mis - sis - sip - pi Hot - - Dog"

;-)

Oh "real" music:

In that case, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" by W. A. Mozart - on which the Mississippi Hotdog variation is based.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
From the William Smallwood's piano tutor I learned a Rondo by Haydn and trailed into a Mozart something or other. I learned it at break neck speed since it was the only music I had.

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All music is 'real' music. wink

If you need a famous name on the sheet - or on something you wear, drink, or look at, before you think you 'know' whether it's 'good' or not, then you've missed the bus...

Who needs feet of clay? I can get into enough trouble with feet made of regular foot stuff...
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Late Beginner:
All music is 'real' music. wink

If you need a famous name on the sheet - or on something you wear, drink, or look at, before you think you 'know' whether it's 'good' or not, then you've missed the bus...
I think what Prince Charles meant was what was the first piece of music one learned that wasn't written specifically for young students as part of a method book. I certainly made that distinction myself when I was a kid and felt I'd really accomplished something when I graduated to "real music."

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
I'm so glad that Gerg mentioned a non-classical piece. The first piece I "learned" was "The Laws Must Change" done by the John Mayall Blues Band. I learned it by ear on the bass.

Then I realized that I'd totally messed it up and have re-learned it several times using different string stopping methods.

First classical piece...well, I'm still kinda workin on that, but I spose you could say a Sonata for flute and continuo by Benedetto Marcello. (Sonata #1 in D Maj, Opus 2 if anyone's counting.) I play the continuo part, my oldest son who doubles as my theory teacher and blues/bass student (how's that for convoluted?) plays the flute.

We're also working on a Sonata by Pietro Locatelli, but I can't give you chapter and verse on that one.

In addition, we're working on "New Orleans" as played by Herbie Mann and Canned Heat's instrumental version of Terraplane Blues (Robert Johnson.) I've got him playing bass on a couple of slow blues pieces just for the different perspective. I can say without equivocation that he picked the bass up much quicker than I did the organ. (It's much lighter. smile )

RatMan
1961 Hammond M-101, Casio Digital kb, a coupla basses and some other stuff.
Canon 40D and a half-full camera bag.
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing (I ain't thru doin the camera thing.)
http://www.chevyasylum.com
http://www.raytherat.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When I was about 9 and given the little air driven Hohner organ which had an orange starter book, "What Shall We Do With a Drunken Sailor?" which was full of sixths that I absolutely adored.

No instrument has ever given such sweet sixths. It was the first "keyboard" on the market, and the poor battered antique from the 1960's has just been returned to me. It growls and wheezes but those sixths with a vibrato due to the way the air passes over the metal reeds is still there. Is it tuned differently?

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Fur Elise, about 53 years ago. I hated it then, and I still hate it. Not Beethoven's fault however. Just a piano teacher who was a stickler for playing perfectly (3 times in a row).

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Another Fur Elise. yawn Sad thing is I still play it. frown (Imperfectly, and usually just once in a row.)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by -Frycek:
Originally posted by Late Beginner:
[b] All music is 'real' music. wink

I think what Prince Charles meant was what was the first piece of music one learned that wasn't written specifically for young students as part of a method book. I certainly made that distinction myself when I was a kid and felt I'd really accomplished something when I graduated to "real music." [/b]
Yes, I thought that's what was meant too. I just don't happen to agree with making that kind of distinction - either from a teaching or learning perspective. smile

I stand by my opinion that all music is real music and that I don't see dividing it up as particularly useful. Perhaps it's because it puts me in mind of the more stuffy and off-putting books that were inflicted on me as a child (going back 50 years now).

But perhaps I approach music in a different way to students who just do a more formal or structured type of study on piano. For instance, as well as keyboards I also play various guitars, mandolin, banjo, clarinet, sax, and drums (at varying degrees of competence and incompetence) and I measure my progress by how much control I'm getting over an instrument, how good I can make the music sound, and how much enjoyment I'm getting from it. Who wrote or arranged it (which may well be an improvisation on somebody else's theme or melody, or even something of my own anyway), and for what purpose, doesn't really change whether I think it's 'real' music or not.

From playing the first note on a new instrument, to being able to play something quite complex feels like one long seamless line to me. But perhaps I'm just an odd man out... laugh

Chris

Who needs feet of clay? I can get into enough trouble with feet made of regular foot stuff...
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Very first "If a Woodchuck Could Chuck Wood" and I still have it memorized!

First "real" music - Minute in G a Provencal melody, anonymous in 1961!

Best regards,

Deborah
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Gossec's "Gavotte" in a piano version. This remains for me the first "serious" music even if the arrangement might have been simplified. Have been trying for some months now to find a piano version.

After that, Benedetto Marcello's "Adagio".

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Well, don't really able to recall it but I am sure it's not Fur Elise nor Bach's Minuet in G.

Possibly Hanon..

I start out playing contemporary music that I couldn't remember what are they.. Yeah, some disney's...

So, if the 'real means classical, then it really should be Hanon.

How sad it is!!

lol

L
L
"In Dreams" from the movie, "The Lord of the Rings".

It was the first piece of music L & I taught ourselves when I bought the DP several years back. I've since forgotten how to play it, but L still does...somewhat beautifully, I must say.

smile

First classical piece, end to end, "Minuet in G Major", BWV 114 Bach/Petzold - no trills...almost as good as those 6 year old kids on youtube.

thumb

l's dad

OP Offline
Hi Everyone,

I thought Fur Elise would be up there - am just surprised that it would be the first piece that people learned. For me it was the 4th piece.

Am also surprised that Ode to Joy wasn't on anyones as "first piece played"

Your thoughts?

Mark

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My first piece was an improvised version of stairway to heaven.

Different strokes! wink

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Fur Elise!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is a CPT necessary?
by Petoskeyguy - 08/13/22 11:07 AM
Yamaha clp 785 horrible chorus effect
by Chrisgilx - 08/13/22 10:51 AM
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,377
Posts3,215,997
Members106,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission