2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 8 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LJC
H- When I wrote my last I was wondering if you would see the Horowitz part--I knew you'd like that part. As for the bit about Hamburg's being better well some are but mainly they're just a bit different in my view.

[...]

Thanks for sharing it! Do you have any dates, such as for the Arrau piano party? smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
M
OP Offline
M
Dear LJC,

I am in such a shock to read your messages!!! What she told you is just amazing! This episode with the boat is so much unique and shows what a delicate person R. was and how presicely exact he felt the feelings of other people...

Piano, cars and boats)))) That's absolutely right! He also loved skating and even kite:

[Linked Image]

Dear LJC,

You ask:
"If this is interesting to you I will tell you about my lesson and talks with Ruth at her apartment (just down the street from where R. lived)"

Please go on telling us more about Ruth! We all ask you!!!
By the way, what is the exact adress of the house SVR lived in?

I'll be back to read all the marvelous posts of you friends, Rieseman's book and hands question... I wish these topics were separate not to mix everything in one theme... well.. as you like it...
By the way, did ever anyone met the photo of Oskar Rieseman? I never did!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Just look at the euphoric expressions of unbridled ecstacy on their faces! This looks to be like the most fun three sober individuals can possibly have with their clothes on!

I often suggest kite-therapy to my students to alleviate the heebie-jeebies. smile

Last edited by BJones; 05/13/09 05:14 PM.
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Marianne I'll keep writing if you keep posting those great photos. I think we are all very fortunate that R. had so many cameras around him. You asked if I read Forbidden Childhood. I have not but that is about to change, I called a book dealer and he located a copy for me. I have to think back on my conversations with Ruth. She showed me some of her memorabilia that is framed and hanging on her walls. She had an original Liszt authograph. I noticed a picture of a man and I asked if it was her husband. It was her late husband and I commented that he was taller. Ruth said everyone is taller. He was a professor of political science, he was not a musician. I told her I thought it was a co-incidence that she lived on the same Street as R. and she commented that he was up the road a bit. (West End Ave) (I am not giving out Ruth's address)I have R's addresses somewhere I will look for them. I even have his summer address on Long Island where he converted the Symphonic dances for 2 pianos. Its not far from where I live but the mansion he rented burned down in the 1960's. Here's something interesting. R.'s great grandson Sergie and I had a conversation. He and his brother had missed the rehearsal at Julliard of the 3rd piano concerto that we members of the society were allowed to attend. Their mother had injured her foot that morning and it had to be attended to. They did see the performance. I thought it was really funny when everyone was filing out of the auditorium that R's family was there and almost no one knew it. I said a little bit load to my friend,"See that tall man over there, that's R.s' great Grand son as several people turned and looked in astonishment. Anyway Serg asked me how the rehearsal was and I told him it was a bit more energenic than the performance. Thats when Serg confided that he had never heard the whole concerto because he cannot help but fall asleep during it. BTW neither Serg or his brother (J.) play although J took a few lessons. Maybe you want to hear about my conversation with Vladimir Ashkenazy? Oh and Marianne I note you have a link to the R. Society. If you look at the article about the Sept 07 event in NYC at the bottom is a photo of Askenazy holding a framed photos of R. on the concert stage. That was a gift to him from the society. In the photo on the left is a man with a loosened tie no jacket and glasses. Thats me.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
thank you for your post. i loved looking at the photos and viewing the movie.

thanks so much

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Lee, here is the link:

2007 Rach Society Conference NYC

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
M
OP Offline
M
Dear LJC!!!

I do as you like it and will post as many rare pictures of Rachmaninoff as there are in the whole world only to keep you telling us more and more! I will translate to Russian what you write about Ruth and SVR for all the lovers of Rachmaninoff's music to read! There is a Rachmaninoff community in the Russian analog of facebook, and there is a Rachmaninoff society in Saint-Petersburg, and Ashkenazy played for the society, and the head of the Saint-Petersburg society is the author of the books about Rachmaninoff - "Rachmaninoff in Saint-Petersburg" and "Rachmaninof and Bunin (Russian writer - Noble prize winner)"!

Here is one of the most rare pictures I've discovered in the Internet - Rachmaninoff and Medtner. I never knew where the picture was taken and when, but my friend the architect told me that he recognised Piazza della Signoria in Firenze, so I had only to check when Rachmaninoff visited Florence to know the date: April 1924

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thank you for the link to the picture! I wish I had the large photo of that photo with SVR playing as this picture is one of the best if not the best one, because it shows him playing and it gives the impression that is a shot from the video. I saw the comments under this photo that say: "Where we can see the video to this picture?")))

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Wow more Rachmaninoff enthusiasts than I thought! I feel all the more at home now! laugh

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some more interesting Rach pics.

Serge the ice-cream man:

[Linked Image]

Having tea with Melba Toast seated to his left:

[Linked Image]

Many don't realize that Serge was the first punk-pianist:

[Linked Image]

Serge, a moment before fighting off the unwelcome advances of Oscar Wilde:

[Linked Image]

With a brutal migraine:

[Linked Image]

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Love those pix!

BJ, check out Elgar and his dogs.

Really cool!!!

Jason
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Marianne, Did you get my private message?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LJC
Marianne, Did you get my private message?

I received it by mistake. [Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tenuto
Welcome, Marianne.

Thanks for your links, photos, videos.

What biography would you recommend reading on Rachmaninoff?

best wishes,
Valerie

You forgot the word "and" after "photos," (with comma)

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BJones
Welcome, Marianne.

best wishes,
Valerie

How do you know the omission wasn't intentional? That's a pretty common rhetorical device, even if the name for it isn't a household word: asyndeton.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce
Originally Posted by BJones
Welcome, Marianne.

best wishes,
Valerie

How do you know the omission wasn't intentional? That's a pretty common rhetorical device, even if the name for it isn't a household word: asyndeton.

Steven

I assumed she wasn't trying to be poetic. After reading her last 12 posts, and finding over 15 instances of punctuation errors, I'm quite certain that it's just a case of bad grammar, which I didn't realize was so important on this forum until today, and is reprehensible, considering that she openly ridiculed a forum member for mistyping a word, just a case of a key not being depressed enough. You can't have a perfect world without perfect grammar and I wanted to point this out to her so sensibly, she won't be so quick to make fun of others.

Even worse is the fact that although she was quite vocal in ridiculing others, she now has fallen mute on the subject of grammatical errors.

Last edited by BJones; 05/18/09 10:17 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission