[Linked Image]

Hello all members of Piano World, thank you for reading this. Thank you also to Piano World for allowing me to post my details in this 'Who's Who' section. I am a great admirer of the site and of the way in which it celebrates piano music and pianists around the world, so am very pleased to be a contributor.

I am a pianist living in Fulham, West London, UK. I was a gifted musician as a child, playing the piano and composing, appearing in concerts from an early age. I trained with Denis Matthews and then Ryszardt Bakst, at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester, where I appeared in numerous public concerto and recital concerts. Winning the Elizabeth Hannah Lees Scholarship and the Frederick Dawson Prize, I looked destined to follow the typical career of a classical pianist.

Instead, I have been devoted to broadening my musical experience. I play, sing and write music in many different genres; I also produce and record and am an innovative and dedicated teacher. I have worked to find a way of playing the piano that is natural, powerful and accessible and ways of training music that champion real fluency and empowerment.

I am also the creator of Musically Fluent, an arena for students and teachers of music to explore a completely different approach to musical training. The focus of its approach is to unlock or unblock the natural musicality that human beings are designed to possess and to express.

I have performed regularly as a pianist for the past twenty years and am very keen to bring classical piano and great piano works to a new audience. Recordings of my playing can be found on my Phil Best MySpace profile or on Phil Best Music .

I can be contacted via email phil@musicallyfluent.com.

My piano repertoire is as follows:

CONCERTO REPERTOIRE

Schumann – Concerto in Am Op. 54
Beethoven –No. 1 in C major Op. 15; No. 2 in B flat major Op. 19 and No. 4 in G major Op. 58
Franck – Variations Symphoniques
Mendelssohn – No. 1 in G minor Op. 25
Rachmaninov –No. 2 in C minor Op. 18 and No. 3 in D minor Op. 30
Mozart – No. 8 in C major, K246; No.14 in E flat major, K449; No. 22 in E flat major, K482; No. 23 in A major K488;
Shostakovich – Piano Concerto No. 2 in F major Op. 102
Stravinsky – Concerto for piano and wind instruments
Chopin No. 1 in E minor Op 11 and No. 2 in F minor Op. 21
Brahms – No. 2 in B flat major Op. 83
Tchaikovsky – No. 2 in B flat minor Op. 23
Prokofiev – Concerto No. 1
Grieg – Piano Concerto in Am Op. 16

SOLO REPERTOIRE

Chopin – 4 Ballades, 4 Scherzi, Barcarolle, Berceuse, 4 Impromptus, B minor Sonata and Bb minor Sonata, Polonaises 1-6 and Polonaise-Fantaisie, Complete Mazurkas, Complete Waltzes, Complete Nocturnes, Complete Etudes and Complete Preludes

Rachmaninov – Complete Moments Musicaux, Complete Preludes, Etude Tableau Op.39 No. 5, Corelli Variations

Debussy – Complete Preludes Books 1 and 2, Suite Bergamasque, 2 Arabesques, Jardins sous la pluie, Reflets dans l’eau

Fauré – Barcarolles 1-7, Nocturnes Nos. 1 and 4

Mozart – Piano Sonatas, K282, K283, K330, K331, K309, K310, K332, K333, K454, K457 and C minor Fantasie K475, K570, K576

Haydn - Many of the Sonatas including No. 33 in C minor Hob. XVI/20, No. 50 in D major Hob. XVI/37, No. 53 in E minor Hob. XVI /34, No. 59 in E flat major Hob. XVI/49, No 60 in C major Hob. XVI/50 and No. 62 in E flat major Hob. XVI/52
Several sets of variations including the Variation in F minor (Un piccolo Divertimento)

Brahms – Piano pieces Op. 76, Sonata No.3 in F minor, Handel Variations, Paganini Etudes, 3 Intermezzi Op.117

Liszt – Mephisto Waltz, 2 Transcendental Studies – Feux Follets and Wilde Jagd, 3 Concert Studies Il Lamento, La Leggierezza, Un Sospiro, Consolations; Liebesträume; Polonaise No. 1; Valse-Impromptu; Sonata in B minor

Ravel – Gaspard de la Nuit

Beethoven – Sonatas: Op. 2 No. 1 in F minor; Op. 2 No. 3 in C major; Op 7 in E flat major; Op. 10 No. 1 in C minor; Op. 10 No. 2 in F major; Op. 13 in C minor Pathétique; Op. 14 No. 1 in E major; Op. 14 No. 2 in G major; Op. 26 in A flat major; Op. 27 No. 2 in C sharp minor Moonlight; Op. 28 in D major Pastorale; Op. 31 No. 1 in G major; Op. 31 No. 2 in D minor; Op. 49 No. 1 in G minor; Op. 49 No. 2 in G major; Op. 53 in C major Waldstein; Op. 54 in F major; Op. 57 in F minor Appassionata; Op. 81a in E flat major Les Adieux; Op. 101 in A major; Op. 109 in E major; Op. 110 in A flat

Schubert – Impromptus D.899 (Op. 90); Sonata in A minor D.537; Sonata in A major D.664; Sonata in C minor D. 958

Bach – Preludes and Fugues from Book 1 of The 48: Nos. 1, 4, 5, 6, 12, 14 and 23;
Preludes and Fugues from Book 2 of The 48: Nos. 5, 6, 12 and 24; The Italian Concerto

Grieg –Lyric Pieces Op. 12 and Notturno – No. 4 from Op. 54

Schumann – Etudes Symphoniques; Arabesque

Tippett – Sonata No. 3

Mendelssohn – Variations Sérieuses, Op 7
Songs Without Words Book 3 Op.38 and Book 4 Op. 53

Kenneth Leighton – 5 Studies Op 22

CHAMBER MUSIC REPERTOIRE

Beethoven Piano Trio No. 7 Op. 97 (Archduke)

Brahms - Clarinet Quintet in B minor, Op. 115

Poulenc – Sonata for oboe and piano Op. 185
Sextet for piano and wind quintet Op. 100

Janacek – Capriccio for piano and wind ensemble