2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (Bill McClellan, BlizzardPiano, Beemer, alexii, AaronSF, anotherscott, 36251, Adem, 13 invisible), 954 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29
M
M
Hugh: Thanks for the lessons, when I have time, I'm going to start working this piece from start to finish!

By the way, I have a really nice copy of most of debussy's finer works: It has a few extra notations and fingerings that make learning a bit easier. Want me to scan and post Clair de Lune?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
OP Offline
Originally Posted by munkeegutz
Hugh: Thanks for the lessons, when I have time, I'm going to start working this piece from start to finish!

By the way, I have a really nice copy of most of debussy's finer works: It has a few extra notations and fingerings that make learning a bit easier. Want me to scan and post Clair de Lune?

Hi Munkeegutz
Thanks for your kind offer, but I would advise against posting your version of Clair de lune, unless you can be sure it's in the public domain. There are still some editions out there where the copyright is somewhat iffy, so just to be safe, let's just work with what we can reasonably determine to be PD.

M
M
fair enough. Just thought I should throw it out there.

M
M
Please do post them so that beginners like me may also learn. Thanks.

OP Offline
Hi Musicwoman
You can download a public domain PDF and a MusicReader version of the score from my website here:
http://airturn.com/musicreader-library/piano-solo/

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tutorial! I've arrived late and I'm on the third measure but I will follow the lessons from now on.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Formerly 1WeekPlayer. Currently practicing:
- Arabesque 1. Debussy
- Wiener Urtext Primo collection
http://www.youtube.com/mcasl
OP Offline
Originally Posted by 1weekPlayer
Thanks for the tutorial! I've arrived late and I'm on the third measure but I will follow the lessons from now on.

Welcome aboard, 1weekPlayer! Hope you have fun with the lesson videos! Let me know if they're too hard or too fast - i can try to adjust as needed.

OP Offline
Lesson #20: Measure 15, Part 2

Now we add the right hand to measure 15. Recognizing that the right hand is playing octaves makes it easier to figure out the notes. We also see how pivoting fingers can make the playing of repeated notes easier, particularly as we want to keep the "cookie cutter" shape of our octave hand. Remember Tai Chi piano from our last lesson? Applying slow practice with precise arrivals will help to train the muscles to memorize the physical distances between jumps. We also use "memory guides" where the hands share notes, helping to smooth out jumps.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I just love the E flat octave in the base...what a sweet growl... laugh

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
hey I'm in on this too. I'm supposed to learn the easy version for my next lesson, and already did, so downloaded the original version, and happened upon this. Thanks!

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hugh,
I was really worried about the speed that you were going to use for the "interesting section". I thought for sure I would be lost and it would take me weeks to get back up to speed. I was wrong.

Your breakdown is perfect for me. What I have realized is I have a whole "bumblebee" to go from the base Eb's to the next chord in the left hand and only octives, at first, to deal with in the right hand. YOU have made it easy!

Seu Seung, komapsumnida.

Woody

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Woody-Woodruff
Hugh,
I was really worried about the speed that you were going to use for the "interesting section". I thought for sure I would be lost and it would take me weeks to get back up to speed. I was wrong.

Your breakdown is perfect for me. What I have realized is I have a whole "bumblebee" top go from the base Eb's to the next chord in the left hand and only octives, at first, to deal with in the right hand. YOU have made it easy!

Seu Seung, komapsumnida.

Woody

That's so cool to hear! I'm glad to hear that you find the lesson speed manageable, Woody! Thanks!

OP Offline
Lesson #21, Measures 15-16 Part 1

We review the duple/triple rhythms in measures 15-16, and introduce MusicReader's text stamping feature to put the "buzzing bumblebee" mnemonic into the music with contrastic colors. We start off by working on the right hand notes, using more colors to highlight the octave patterns. We use pivoting fingerings in the right hand on the repeated notes to preserve our "cookie cutter" shape between the octaves.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hugh Sung
Originally Posted by cruiser
Hugh, do you have any advice to offer regarding the playing of 3rds - and chords generally - in perfect unison, whilst at the same time balancing the voices in the chords appropriately? This is an essential skill I've been trying to master for a long time, with inconsistent results. Learning Clair de Lune with you has prompted me to ask for your help.

Hm - if you could post a video response, that might be helpful in figuring out how best to address your 3rds issues. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply Hugh but my question is simply related to the playing of chords - any chords - in perfect unison without any notes being sounded momentarily before others, if you understand me. I don't have a '3rds issue' especially but - in common with many others I'm sure - I can't consistently play chords - even 3rds - with all parts in perfect unison. Clair de Lune has its fair share of chords and so I thought this might be a good opportunity for someone of your undoubted teaching ability to offer some advice on this crucial technique. I don't think I need to make a video in order to demonstrate this particular problem, even if I knew how to!

Michael
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Come on cruiser, drop and flop!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz

kbk! ...of course, how could I forget your drop and flop technique?! I'm off to give it a go...

Michael
Hi Hugh-

Bumblebee perfectly makes sense in the measures 15 through 18 which I didn't get the rhythm right until now. You are amazing!

I just hope this is not taking too much of your time away from your family.
Zoo, Disney land, romantic dinner and stuff...
If there is anything I can help to save some of your time, please let me know.
I really mean it.

Thanks again.

Hugh, I forgot to mention, I live in LA so I know there isn't much I can do, like babysitting I would if you are close enough, but anything I can do with my computer or something with the piano, just any little help will make me feel better. Thanks.
(I am not working right now, I work on project basis, so this is your chance!)

OP Offline
Lesson #22: Measures 15-16, Part 2

Now we add the left hand, noting that much of it uses the same notes. Also note how both hands are moving relatively parallel when put together. We also anticipate a potential practice problem that might create some "rhythmic roadblocks" - stay tuned for the next lesson, where I'll help you overcome/prevent them with some advanced practice and memorization techniques.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Sounds like good advice to me! Thanks, Keyboardklutz!

Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Is Music Right For You?
by FrankCox - 05/26/22 12:33 PM
Video on avoiding tension at the piano...
by thepianoplayer416 - 05/26/22 11:57 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,251
Posts3,194,707
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission