2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1331656 12/22/09 05:30 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hey everyone, when I was little I played lots of piano. But as I grew, I stopped playing due to large school course loads. Now I am trying to sell my piano, but I really don't know what model and how much I can sell it for. I have a friend who is really passionate about music and he said that it MAY be a really good piano and could sell for really high.

Anyways, here are some pictures and details.

The maker is WurliTzer and it says made in USA. It came with a matching bench that opens up to store books and pieces. I believe the piano is an upright piano? I looked all around and I couldn't find where the Serial number is... All I saw was the name "Kelly" inside... Anyways, the pictures can speak for themself! Hope you can all help me out in identifying what Piano I have and how much it is worth!

I know I will loose some money because I bought it used, there were some chips on the wood etc, but the keys are 100% perfect, no chips or anything... Oh yea, the previous owner decided to carve into the (sorry, I am new when it comes with instrumental part names) but its the piece of wood on the piano used as a stand to hold your book/piece on it. They carved their initials on it.. :-[

Anyways, here are the pictures! Thanks for all your help in advance!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I don't know a dollar amount but because it's an old spinet upright I'm pretty certain it's not worth much. That's not to say it still can't bring a lot of joy to it's next owner-- I just wouldn't count on making any sort of significant financial gain selling it. Pianos depreciate with age (not unlike cars) and spinet pianos are pretty much the least desirable pianos on the market.
Good luck and happy holidays.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
AJF #1331673 12/22/09 05:48 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
1950s spinet. Less than $800

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
G
OP Offline
G
Any more info? I've been trying to find the exact model but no idea how... if anyone can provide more info then it will be appreciated :):)

M
M
Originally Posted by gordonchan
Any more info? I've been trying to find the exact model but no idea how... if anyone can provide more info then it will be appreciated :):)

It'd be pretty hard to find out the exact model, considering you don't have a serial number. Also uprights usually change model #'s really quickly over the ages, so it is nearly impossible to reference this info without having a directory of some sorts.

On my old Wurlitzer upright, it is on the upper right -- right when you open the top lid.

Considering that it's an old spinet, with some moderate use (the initials is a turn off too), although the inner components are OK, it's probably worth ~$500. I've seen better on Craigslist.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Under $200. Very much bottom of the line instrument, with a mahogany soundboard and no cover for the keyboard.

Semipro Tech
BDB #1331804 12/22/09 08:39 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
You may find the serial number on the back of the piano, stamped in the wood. That's where it is on the old Wurlitzer in the choir room at church.

Charles

ChasT #1331866 12/22/09 10:34 PM
H
H
A family member of mine has a Wurlitzer piano that looks very similar to yours. Someone gave it to her for free and she offered to give it to me for me when I was shopping for a piano. I didn't take it because I couldn't justify the expense to move and tune it. Granted the one I was offered was in worse shape than yours, but still I don't think the piano is worth a lot of money. Hope that helps.

hipiano #1332015 12/23/09 02:31 AM

Going a bit off topic...the pictures caught my eye...I have a Wurlitzer spinet with a plate similar to that, with the pins going through the plate into the pinblock behind, instead of directly into the wood of the pinblock (with the plate above the block)

The photos above are the first piano I've seen like mine with pins through the plate...anyone know if this is common for spinets, perhaps a space saving design, because of the short case?

Heather Martin

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by HeatherM

Going a bit off topic...the pictures caught my eye...I have a Wurlitzer spinet with a plate similar to that, with the pins going through the plate into the pinblock behind, instead of directly into the wood of the pinblock (with the plate above the block)

The photos above are the first piano I've seen like mine with pins through the plate...anyone know if this is common for spinets, perhaps a space saving design, because of the short case?

I am not certain what you are talking about. Most modern pianos have the plate covering the pinblock, probably every piano made in the US since 1900. Some do not have tuning pin bushings like this one has.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission