2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 540 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ciao 2picky4most - what a great success story! I'm listening to Songs My Mother Taught Me as I type this - what a lovely piece! Gentle, slightly melancholy, something to stir the heartstrings. It sounds pretty challenging to my ear! Complimenti on getting through all your pieces with only 1 error! I'm happy if I can get through 1 piece without an error so far. If I make it through without any (a rare treat), I'm leaping with joy!

How exciting too, to play in a duet!
I think the Hungarian Rhapsody will be the icing on your cake eh?

My achievement of the week was accidental - smile
I uploaded some pieces to www.box.net for sharing, and then I was goofing around on my phone (which has internet access) to see if I could play them from the phone, and I ended up downloading one - so I made it my ring tong! I now have Verde Smeraldo by Remo Vinciguerra to charm me when someone calls smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What got me excited is that although I'm learning this ragtime piece in my signature for a 3 months time already I'm making progress. Things that I found impossible I'm playing at fast tempo already, I'm witness of "the miracle of practice".

What get me frustrated is "gee I'm playing the same piece every day for 3 months"!!!!!! And the final measures of the 3rd section is far harder than the rest, tricky piece...

S
S
I'm really excited to see this thread still going strong!! It's a great reminder for me to focus on the positive and so fun to see all the great achievements posted here. On that note, I had a really good lesson this week. My piano teacher finally felt I had mastered two pieces, both of which I have been working on for a few months. I will be starting something new for this week. I'm really quite excited about that.

Thanks again Casinitaly for starting this thread, you're the greatest!

AK

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I second AlleyKatt's opinion, you are indeed the greatest Casinitaly!! heart
My accomplishment of the week is that I reliably played my Alexander piece today with no mistakes. Now I need to breathe some feeling into it (my teacher wants me to use the pieces in the collection to develop my expression). I have been flying solo for a couple of weeks, so I don't have a sense as to whether or not I am playing it properly, with expression (I don't have another lesson until the 14th).
My Oscar Peterson book came today. I worked on exercise # 1 and the minuet. I was a little disappointed that Minuet # 1 isn't remotely jazzy. The end of the book looks scary! Kinda like the end of the Alfred's all-in-one Level one book used to look whistle
And.....one of my Greek friends found a collection of Hajidakis Piano solos for me. It is in the mail as I write. He is one of my husband's favorite composers. I will work on a piece for his birthday!!!! yippie

Last edited by GlassLove; 06/04/10 07:22 PM.

Christine

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
So I'm not sure if this count count as my achievement of the week - but it did make me feel good. I'm learning Chopin's Prelude No. 7 (Opus 28) and starting to get it flowing a bit better. Anyway, I was listening to BBC's Lunchtime Concert and, lo and behold, there's the piece I'm learning being played. Actually he played all 24 preludes but the fact that I can play one of them is enough for me smile

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I'm really thrilled that people are still writing here too - I think we all want to dance with joy sometimes and by focusing on those moments we will see our little stumbling blocks as just that ..little problems that we are dealing with.

Al-mahed - Ragtime! Now that is great fun! You must feel great seeing your 3 months of hard work paying off! 3 cheers for you!

AlleyCat - isn't that satisfying? You'll have to let us know what your new pieces are!

Glasslove - no mistakes! Yipee! I'm still hit and miss, more than I'd like, but slowly slowly improving. I'm really getting a new appreciation for the word "focus". Don't be disappointed in Oscar - the minuets (that I've tried so far) aren't jazzy -but even as early as exercise five you're getting into boogie woogie patterns - hang in there.
How cool you are getting Hajidakis music from a friend! I have a buddy in Memphis who sends me all kinds of stuff - I'm getting a "shipment" soon via family who are coming for a visit!

Andy Platt - Chopin! I haven't really done any Chopin yet, but he's on my "really want to do" list! Isn't it a special thrill when you hear something from your personal repertoire being played?

I think we're all doing splendidly! We're the greatest!

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I've got the first movement of my Clementi memorized.
Whew.
Now.... where to start with the improvements .... there are just a few I could make (working on the art of understatement here smile )

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
*sigh* Improvements are hard to come by more and more frequently. I had to finally man up and drop from the rotation a couple of pieces I just couldn't get my fingers wrapped around properly, and a third is dangling precipitously close to being sent to the farm team. I'll let the two haunt me in my dreams for a bit and try again another time.

And then today I *finally* had a chunk of alone time to record video on my upright. It went exceedingly well and I recorded 3 pieces that have been simmering for some time until I could get a chance to record. Tonight I discovered that the company logo shirt I was wearing was extremely visible as it was reflected by my shiny new piano (corporate would sue my butt to oblivion if I gave the impression that they were somehow sponsoring my bumbling on the piano grin (not really)).

Next time I'll have to remember to wear my official Star Trek logo red-shirt as proof of my galactic employment with Starfleet Command. whome

On a positive note, I did start on another piece this week that seems to be going well (Clementi 36, 2), and my 5 year old son has been making some great progress under my direction in between his beginner group class and private lessons.

Sometimes it feels like learning piano is self abuse, but most of the time it's absolutely enjoyable. It's a good thing I'm addicted to learning piano, or I would have quit a while ago. grin

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
T
T
I love Clementi 36,2! I'm planning to work that up on my own over the summer when my teacher is on holidays -- it would make a nice surprise for her when lessons start up again in September. Either that, or a nasty surprise if I mess it up. I'll be starting the first movement of 36,3 as part of my regular program in the fall.

My achievement for the week is to have made some progress on my four assigned pieces. Does anyone besides me feel like a total dork having to play Beethoven's Ecossaise K. WoO23. I can`t hear it without recalling the Monty Python skit about the Fish Slapping Dance.

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Suzuki Piano School, book 5, second half
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've finally gotten the coda of Chopin's first Ballade fluent. So in a couple days I'll probably be able to go back to the music I was before studying. I had to finish the ballade so I could perform it at a small engagement.

So now back to the hellish but fun Godowsky Sonata.

*sigh* Godowsky just had to one of the most beautiful romantic melodies right between between 19 other minutes of technical and interpretational heck.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thumper49
I love Clementi 36,2! I'm planning to work that up on my own over the summer when my teacher is on holidays -- it would make a nice surprise for her when lessons start up again in September. Either that, or a nasty surprise if I mess it up. I'll be starting the first movement of 36,3 as part of my regular program in the fall.

I really like all of Clementi's Op. 36. I would love to be able to work through all it, but I always get distracted with other stuff.

So much to learn and play, so little time. frown

Good luck with #2! smile smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by thumper49
Does anyone besides me feel like a total dork having to play Beethoven's Ecossaise K. WoO23. I can`t hear it without recalling the Monty Python skit about the Fish Slapping Dance.

When I arrived for my lesson last week my teacher was playing this. I was a little surprised (usually she's rattling off some Rachmaninov prelude). There was no fish slapping when she played it but when I do - perhaps a little!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
N
N
I ordered Alfred's Greatest Hits #1 and #2, the finger exercises for Alfred and the All Time Favorites for Alfred! Anxious for them to arrive!!!!!

I'm just excited about learning piano every single day!!!!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Began Piano 12/25/09 on Yamaha starter digital keyboard
Playing on circa 1917/18 Chickering Grand Piano since July 2010
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
You know, I'm a Monty Python fan, but I doubt I'd have remembered the tune to the Fish Slapping Dance!

Here's another exciting bit that is a bit different.... My piano teacher wants to learn English, and as I'm an ESL teacher....we're going to swap lessons! How cool is that?

I already have some great ideas on how to get her started studying English with the theme of music! What fun we will have!

[Linked Image]

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Cas, that's so cool!! For a while, I taught a Japanese businessman who listened to jazz & played trumpet in his spare time (what little time he had, considering his job!). But I found lots of articles, etc that I could adapt.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
That sounds like fun Carol! My teacher is a real beginner, I'm going to start off using the verbs Have and Be with reference to notes, measures, beats, I can work on pronouns, singular and plurals. It is going to be so much fun!

Ok, I know this is really cheeky but it is really very entertaining, and I can't resist.

My absolute "coolest" client was (about 4 -5 years ago)... the managing director of .......

La Scala in Milano. smile

Last edited by casinitaly; 06/08/10 01:00 PM.

[Linked Image]

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
AWESOME!!!!!!

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am so excited for my children to be on summer vacation. School is OUT on Friday.
I just downloaded two duets (4 hands) for my younger son and I to play.
My older son plays the Saxophone and I found a sax/piano duet for us too!!!
Of course, this is a cheesy accomplishment, it would be better if I were writing to say that we had mastered all three of these pieces, but the thought of pursuing them has gotten me very excited!!!!

Christine

[Linked Image]
T
T
Originally Posted by casinitaly
You know, I'm a Monty Python fan, but I doubt I'd have remembered the tune to the Fish Slapping Dance!

I don't remember the exact tune, either, but that Ecossaise seems to call for fish slapping, somehow! I'm just NOT a big fan of folk dances.

Totally cool that you're able to trade lessons with your teacher! And she can say that she is learning from the person who taught the director of La Scala. Wow!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Suzuki Piano School, book 5, second half

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
We've been very quiet about our progress lately!

I'm really pleased that this past week I have started to be able to look at my music in patterns rather than single notes. It is just the beginning - a small step -but absolutely in the right direction and it was quite a little thrill.

What are you pleased about this week?

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 540 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission