2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 540 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 539 540
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by EJR
The trick for me was searching the library catalogues online. The one I go to is part of a very large network. Several were in a branch 80 or so miles away but turned up in a couple of days.

Unfortunately I live in the smallest (geographically) county in the US (though it has a really great library system). However, there is World Cat and that says the nearest library that has that sight reading book is ... Ottawa!

Actually I did a bunch of other searches and there are some basic primers that should provide good material in my local library. I'll check them out (pun not intended).

Andy,

I tried that World Cat search, it gave the University Libraries at Oxford and Cambridge as the nearest locations with that book to me (so I'd take it with a pinch of salt). These are further away from here than where the copies were sourced (Yeovil). Now why Yeovil (population 28000) seems to store much of the music books/sheet music for the local library network I'm not sure, since its a very rural location?

I'm glad you found some basic primers in yours. I'd also be inclined to send a list to the librarian and ask whether they can get others on inter-library loan or similar?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had a great lesson this week! My teacher complimented me on the voicing on one of my pieces. And we worked through a really difficult section of another one, so that I understand how to approach it now. I was so excited to get home and start working on everything that we went over. And it feels like I'm making real progress now. smile

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
2 great things.

The first is, I think I've found a new teacher; I had an introductory lesson last week. He's a young guy, just finished his B of Music & is entering the (excellent!) jazz program at a local college in September. He has teaching experience, & from when I first spoke to him on the phone he seemed like a communicator (unlike at least one of the others I called...) He's more classically-oriented than my previous teacher, but I think that will be a good thing for a while - much as I loved my other teacher, she probably didn't push me hard enough about technique. He's got me doing Beyer etudes, Hanon as warm-up, as well as whatever else I want. Since I was doing Alfred Book 2 before, I'll probably keep on with that for a while, at least. Oh yes, & my lessons don't have to be weekly, which works better for me.

The 2nd thing that I consider an achievement is my downstairs neighbour, who has played piano for about 70 years, said my playing recently has been "beautiful!" She was referring to "Sakura," from Alfred 2 - she said when she loves hearing me play it, because it takes her back to when she used to sing it in kindergarten in Taiwan (that'd be 70+ years ago) She's commented on my progress before, but this was different. It's nice that someone found at least one of my efforts meaningful.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This was a rough week for me. First of all I never feel I am prepared enough or practice enough for my lessons. And each week I vow to do better.

But this week I unfortunately had a pretty severe reaction to a supplement my Dr. prescribed for me. I didn't realize at first that the supplement was the cause since it is something I only had to take once a week.

Over the course of the week, after I had taken my first dose, I could feel my muscle getting weaker and weaker and the fatigue was so unbearable I barely made it through the work week. I just thought this was a relapse of some sort because muscle pain and fatigue is something I've dealt with for a long time (although through various therapies I've had some improvement).

By the time Friday came I felt like I could hardly walk and so I canceled my lesson and left work early. I really felt bad about canceling and again vowed to do better.

On Saturday night I took my weekly supplement again. Sunday morning when I woke up it hit me. OMG! It's the supplement!!! That morning I was in the worse pain I ever felt (and I can tolerate pain). Sitting hurt, standing hurt, and I had not idea how long it was going to last. I was even thinking I might have to go to the Hospital. I just didn't know what else to do. Thankfully the pain subsided after a few hours. But I still felt weak and fatigued throughout the this week. I did manage to practice but not as much as I would have liked and as usual felt like I wouldn't be prepared enough for my lesson on Friday.

Then I remembered a little one page song my teacher gave me to try out. This was to work on my reading which is far below my playing level. It was about 11:00pm all my books where packed away for the next days lesson. I pulled out the page and decided I would give it a try. I was half way through the page when I realized... HEY! I'm half way through the page! I played that little piece almost effortlessly. It's a simple song called The song without words or something like that, but the feeling was very sweet. It was the first time I sightread a song without, worry or panic or criticism. So, that was my achievement for the week.

Thanks for "listening".

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Marybee, how satisfying!!!! Isn't exciting when you feel something new has "clicked" and become easier to deal with?

Joyoussong - sounds like you've found a great teacher, that's super! And what a lovely compliment from your neighbour! I bet that really made your heart sing.

Kymber, what a rough week indeed - I hope the dr sorts out a med that you can take without these problems asap! Congrats on the sight reading, it must have been especially rewarding after your terrible week.

I've had a low-key week. My hands have been a bit sore - I think I've got a tendonitis situation to take care of - or something along those lines. I see a dr's visit in my near future. However, I am really pleased with how my Franck piece is coming along. I find that getting the hang of this piece (which is technically much more challenging than others I've tried) seems to be falling into place a lot faster than ever things have before.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I intend to keep polishing it, but my teacher has said she no longer needs to hear Gershwin's Someone To Watch Over Me. The version I'm playing is arranged by Dan Coates, who makes really nice arrangements. I got it from this book Top 50 Jazz Standards - Arranged by Dan Coates . When I showed this book to my teacher she liked it enough to order it for use with her other pupils. I hope the other songs are as nice as the Gershwin tune was because I've had a lot of fun learning it and its really fun to play. As Time Goes By is up next. My wife is starting to call me "the lounge act".

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Kymber, that reaction to the medication sounds awful! Hope it's gone from your system, & that your energy & enthusiasm come back soon.

Cas, hope you can get your sore hands figured out. Glad your Franck piece is going well. Have you done any more with the OP book? I've kind of put it aside for a bit since my new teacher has introduced other new materials.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
casinitaly: Yes it was definitely rewarding (as small as it seemed-I think I needed it). Please take care of your hands and congrats on your progress.

joyoussong: Thank you! I am definitely feeling a lot better.

Btw... I really like this thread. It's nice to focus on things we accomplish instead of what we can't do (yet).

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
D
D
Originally Posted by Gary Schenk
I learned to roll my wrists to get the proper "grace" out of grace notes. They actually sound good now.

just learned today what I need to do for a Chopin Prelude I'm working on. Thanks

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Kymber, I don't believe this! I have been suffering with headaches for several weeks now which really effect my practicing. This morning for the first time in a very long time I felt well enough to practice for a full two hours. Guess what I finished up with? A song without words!

Really hope you are feeling better. Your post has given me encouragement.

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I finally have the first 8 bars of my piece down pat and memorized.
I've been "almost there" for a while, but after my lesson last week, I really buckled down and FOCUSED. I can now play it with or without music and get it right over and over. I'm pleased.

I also did a batch of sight reading today and can feel a bit more progress. I found 2 pieces that I want to give some focus to, both fairly short, but lovely sounding. One is a Gavotte by Hayden and the other a Bach Bourée.

Deanne - good for you! Nice to pick up on a new technique.
JimF - I've been hearing a lot about Dan Coates lately - I like the pieces that you've mentioned - are you going to post so we can hear them?

[Linked Image]

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
<<I also did a batch of sight reading today and can feel a bit more progress.>>
Congrats!

I also continued to focus on sight-reading this week, completing some more sight-reading method books. In addition to these I started using Bartok's Mikrokosmos for daily sight-reading practice. I quite like these for sight-reading practice, there's no text with each piece as in many method books and they seem very mathematically/systematically constructed. They have individual metronome markings for each exercise.

I took a sight-reading test. cry
Using some ABRSM grade 1-3 specimen sight-reading tests, I went through the first two at each level. It was a mixed bag, Grade 1 was harder than anticipated, but conversely one of the grade 3 went much better than I thought it would (I haven't covered grade 3 in the method books yet). I'm going to repeat this every month or so to monitor "progress" (if any!).

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Sounds like you are really giving yourself some interesting challenges Elwyn. Good for you !

Did you download the ABRSM materials?
I'm going to look into the other book you mentioned too. it is always fun to have more material to play with!

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Finished study of Mozart's Minuet in F Major, K.6 (from the notebook for "Nannerl", his sister) - moving on to Schubert's Waltz in B minor, Op.18a, No.6.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John Frank
Finished study of Mozart's Minuet in F Major, K.6 (from the notebook for "Nannerl", his sister) - moving on to Schubert's Waltz in B minor, Op.18a, No.6.

JF

Now, because of the information you provided with your recital piece, I know that this is an early Mozart ! I had a listen on youtube to a couple of people playing this - it is charming! I bet you had fun with it.

I'm listening to the Schubert Waltz as I type. What an elegant piece - I bet you'll do a super job on it.

[Linked Image]

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
<<Did you download the ABRSM materials? >>
Nope. Got them from the local public library. I'm now a confirmed library fan because they have so much material and 4 or 5 full sight-reading method series.

I also found a useful pdf online called "sight reading skills - a guide to sight reading piano music accurately and expressively..." by Faith Maydwell. I haven't read it end-to-end yet, but it has a list of graded piano music (which starts off with the Mikrokosmos) and should be available via the library.

I have bought a range of ABRSM exam pieces, but intend keeping these for testing purposes to monitor progress, whilst using collections of graded pieces and works like Mikrokosmos for daily practice.

The one thing I've realised, is that to sight read an ABRSM grade 1 piece, you have to have basically completed sight-reading tests at ABRSM grade 3 (and so currently be working on grade 4). This means that whilst working up through the SR method books you have to pick pieces to practice sight-reading with carefully (Other method books or beginner pieces like Bartok's).

This seems to imply that either sight-reading is fundamentally hard, or that the examination boards (Trinity do the same) are biased against sight-reading and favour memorisation (since memorisation is encouraged at all grades including 1.

Matching up the requirements for sight-reading and those for pieces in ABRSM syllabus gives this 2-3 grade gap, in the Trinity system its formally stated apparently (expected to SR pieces two grades below).

Perhaps, the need to have completed several initial volumes of SR method books and be currently working on middle of the range volumes (e.g working on 4 of 8 ABRSM/Trinity) before attempting pieces explains why many struggle (particularly me) sight-reading beginner "easy" pieces?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
casinitaly:

Yes, Coates' "easy piano" arrangements usually sound good musically and fall under the hands easily.

Although I do record on my DP, I've never spent the time figuring out how to do the whole transfer to computer, reformat, upload, etc.

I had something of a breakthrough with the Chopin A-Minor Waltz. Its been a work in progress for nearly three months and at times I've despaired of ever playing it well. Although far from finished and still below tempo, I found myself playing through it for pure enjoyment (versus practicing) this weekend. Do you ever surprise yourself with a note or phrase that you just have to shake your head at and say "dang, that was sweet"? Doesn't happen often to me, but it did this weekend.

Elwyn: I read through that sight reading pdf you mentioned. Good stuff. I liked her "blind" exercises. Also ordered the first two Mikrokosmos books, mainly because I'm a little bored with just reading the exercise book I've been working from.

Last edited by JimF; 08/30/10 04:54 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
I had something of a breakthrough with the Chopin A-Minor Waltz. Its been a work in progress for nearly three months and at times I've despaired of ever playing it well. Although far from finished and still below tempo, I found myself playing through it for pure enjoyment (versus practicing) this weekend.
Wonderful!
Originally Posted by JimF
Do you ever surprise yourself with a note or phrase that you just have to shake your head at and say "dang, that was sweet"? Doesn't happen often to me, but it did this weekend.
Yes! And I both love it and hate it. Love it because it just feels/sounds so good. Hate it because then I sit there admiring what I just did and totally mess up the next phrase. laugh

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
Yes! And I both love it and hate it. Love it because it just feels/sounds so good. Hate it because then I sit there admiring what I just did and totally mess up the next phrase. laugh

Yup, I know that well!

Congrats on the break through Jim. What satisfaction!
I am going shopping tomorrow and if I find the Dan Coates book and the Mikrokosmos books I'll probably pick up both of them (at least vol 1 of Mikrokosmos)..if I don't find them in the shop I'll order them from Amzaon.

New music ....ahhhhhhhhhhhh smile what fun!

[Linked Image]

S
S
Casinitaly, it's really nice to see this thread continue. It shows people really like focusing on the positive!

I have an experience I want to share this week that I believe is positive (more so than an acomplishment). I've been back at piano lessons for about 1 year after a 5 year break. I was practicing 2-3 hours per day, approx. 5 days/week. I realized that my actual practice time on my lessons was going down and I was spending more and more time playing things I just felt like playing. For me I think this a first sign of burnout. I know lessons keep me learning and challenge me technically, but sometimes I just want to play for the sake of playing. So instead of burning myself out with lessons I explained to my teacher that I would like some time off to play some "less technical music" and just relax. We agreed that I would come back to lessons mid Sept. and I will definitely do that.

I believe the positive in all this is that I made the decision without any guilt(a first for me). I'm completely ok with stopping lessons for few weeks but still playing for fun. I feel this was a good decision for me and will help me from stressing myself out so much!

Thanks again, I appreciate this thread!!!

Page 9 of 540 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission