2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 5 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1533997 10/12/10 04:07 PM
OP Offline
Hello I dont have a job, but I can play the piano. I live in NYC so I want to try playing the subways.

I am curious about:

1. How loud of an amp will I need? Will the built in speakers on a portable casio be loud enough?

2. I also have a Roland Juno DI which is portable but needs an amp. If i were to use this, how big of an amp should I get? Keep in mind portability and lightweight is key here.

3. If you have any busking wisdom leave it here on #3

Last edited by JohnImperiale; 10/12/10 05:56 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Don't know if you have googled "busking", but there are a few sites with info.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Battery operated keyboard and amp? I don't know of any weighted-keys keyboards that are battery operated, so if nothing else you'd need to get used to unweighted keys if you aren't already. Otherwise you'll need extension cords and an outlet nearby.

In my experience of playing outdoors (and indoors with a keyboard, for that matter) the on-board speakers aren't nearly enough, so yes, you'll need an amp. I have a Peavy KB1 keyboard amp, and I can run two instruments thru it at a time, but it's not battery operated.

The digital keyboard forum here at PW has really knowledgeable people in the technical areas, and I'd guess they'll have good information.

Do you need a busker's license in NYC?

The Joshua Bell experiment in busking in the subways might be informative (it's on youtube, I think) - you'll want to think about what time of day is best for actually getting people to listen long enough for tips.

There have been a couple of threads here at PW about people who wanted to/were busking with real pianos laugh , and I saw one in Boulder, CO a few years ago, so it's not impossible. I don't know how lucrative it turned out to be, though. But good luck!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The Crate "Limo" runs on batteries and is loud. It' what most street players use:

http://www.amazon.com/Crate-TX50DB-50-watt-Battery-Amplifier/dp/B0002E3FHE

M
M
I've been busking for 2 years with a Roland F-P7, which of course has weighted keys, and at first finding a power outlet was a major problem, until I discovered I can run it off a 12 volt car battery! Now I busk wherever I please smile

Music is what feelings sound like.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
thumb

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
A
Originally Posted by jotur

Do you need a busker's license in NYC?
Depends on your setup and where you're playing. The good places are all regulated by the Music Under New York program and licensed.

If you're playing an acoustic, there is no need for a license. As long as you're 25 feet from a station booth or "fare sale device," or 50 feet from an office, you're good.

If you're playing an amplified instrument, then yes. You need a license to play in the subway. The volume must be set at a maximum of 75 decibels at 6 feet away.

The rules are freely broken, as long as you move when asked. However, it is legal for a cop to confiscate your amp if you're caught. This is why so many of the freelance buskers use acoustics, because they're easier to move when asked and they cannot be confiscated.

Dr. Appleman, former NASA engineer, Empire of Earth and B.S. of Ninjutsu at MIT.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hm. I wonder if I could get my 1905 Howard into a subway station? laugh And if I could move it easily when asked.

Thanks, dr.a., for that information. Here in Santa Fe you need a busker's license - $35/year. However, I don't know what the restrictions are on that, or if you're allowed to play in the doorway of a business without one (there's actually quite a lot of that), or even if it applies to anywhere in town, and not just the downtown area. Guess I'll go look it up -

Cathy

Cathy
M
M
I know that it was an old post but I have just seen your posting about busking with a Roland FP-7 using 12v battery (I assume its a car battery). I have a Roland FP-4F and would like to run it on a car battery for busking. Can you tell me: How did you connect - was it direct to the battery or via an inverter to plug the power adaptor into?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Regards,

Mal.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
A
A
Originally Posted by Malgoode
I know that it was an old post but I have just seen your posting about busking with a Roland FP-7 using 12v battery (I assume its a car battery). I have a Roland FP-4F and would like to run it on a car battery for busking. Can you tell me: How did you connect - was it direct to the battery or via an inverter to plug the power adaptor into?

Thanks in advance for you help.
You can run most keyboards with a car battery and an inverter.

If your keyboard uses an ac adapter, such as a wall wart or a brick, you can jury rig a battery pack to run your keyboard directly on batteries. I believe the FP-4F does. An amp tech, an electrician or an appliance repair store should be able to help you make a battery pack to run your keyboard.

Dr. Appleman, former NASA engineer, Empire of Earth and B.S. of Ninjutsu at MIT.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission