2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 540 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GlassLove
yippie

Glad to hear it Cebukid. I am approaching my first year anniversary. I started from ground zero so my yearly progress is likely slower than yours, but I watched your video and found it pretty inspirational. Maybe I can reach just half your level by the time I have two years under my belt.

GlassLove, I find folks like you who start from ground zero simply amazing! My "advantage" of learning during childhood is huge, but yet, lots of you guys are much better and faster than learners than I am. Keep it up! smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid
I got out of my "funk" (see other thread) thanks to all of your encouraging words.

I also played some music from my childhood book for sight-reading practice, and also, to help guide my daughter with her sight-reading too. After 2 years as an adult "restarter" (this month was my 2 year anniversary) I can now actually make these kiddie pieces sound "musical." smile

So, this has been a good week. I'm re-focused and re-energized!

Wonderful! I listened to your piece in the other thread, -... wow, I would love to be able to play like that! I've got a way to go though.... I'm not even at my 1 year mark smile
..... but I do have an acoustic piano arriving in about 40 hours smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
CebuKid, I did a bunch of sight reading too last night out of my favorite "old" book, Easy Classics to Moderns. What a fun break from actually practicing. BTW, enjoyed listening to your playing.

casinitaly, we're counting down with you! smile

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
CebuKid - glad to hear our master of rags is back on his horse. There seem to be a lot of technical challenges in the material you take on, so its not surprising if it wears on you from time to time. You sounded great to me.

Cheryl - You must by dying of anticipation right about now. Try not to wear your fingers to the nub playing all day when your new baby finally arrives smile

Just got back from my lesson and, thankfully, all went well this week. Misty sounded great on teacher's accoustic - I just love those big seventh chords - and she paid me a very nice compliment. Whether it was true or not, I don't know, but I sure will take it.

Will start putting HT on the Chopin prelude this week, so its coming along. It may be the saddest piece of music ever written, but I love it. Every time I hear it I picture him fighting with his girlfriend George Sands while they are wintering in some dreary monastery in Spain or something. I know he wrote a bunch of preludes under circumstances like that, not sure if the E-minor was one of them.

Started in on Embraceable You for my next piece out of the Coates book. What a Difference a Day Made will have to wait a few weeks.

I'm glad to be able to play a few of these old standards and I'm going to try and keep them up and playable for a time, particularly while I'm looking for a piano. Gotta have something other than scales to use while auditioning pianos. blush Also, we're going on a short cruise at the end of the month, which is going to test my MOYD chops once again. Like I did in Vegas this summer, I'll be looking for a lounge piano aboard so I can sneak in some pre-dawn practice time. Wonder what the going rate is for bribing lounge cleaning crew at sea? wink

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm folks, it really makes everything all the more delightful!

Jim, a cruise! Very nice.... you'll have to let us know how the bribes work out.
I'll have to check the Chopin piece, I can't think of what it sounds like, but Eminor sounds sad to start with!

Marybee, isn't it fun to just relax with pieces that USED to be hard but are not easy?

Be back tomorrow this time... with pics smile

[Linked Image]

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Cheryl,

Here’s the famous Chopin Prelude 28-4 in E minor that Jim is talking about ... everybody takes to this gem in entry to the magic world of Chopin ... it’s a 25 measure Largo with a haunting RH single-note outline over a LH bed of repeating
3-note chords which gently descend ... with a foxy little turn at m16 before returning to the LH chordal motif ... and closing on 3 grand sustained chords ... back to the E minor keynote.

Just faxed Chopin ... telling him about the 21 October delivery of your little piano ... he says that his Prelude in E minor should prove just your cup of tea ... but he added ... after
E minor there are 23 more Preludes waiting in the wings.

Every good wish with your new piano adventure ... kind regards.

[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by btb
Hi Cheryl,

Here’s the famous Chopin Prelude 28-4 in E minor that Jim is talking about ... everybody takes to this gem in entry to the magic world of Chopin ...

I took the gem of prelude 28-7 as my entry. 28-4 is on my to do list. Just waiting for Santa to bring me Chopin: An Introduction to his Piano Works (Book & CD) for Christmas. Yeah, I know I can get it online for free, but it's not like I'm going to have time for a while anyway wink

I realize I haven't posted any achievements recently. I think small, steady progress is what's happening ... and that's any achievement, just not "of the week"!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
@btb - you are such a sweetie! Thank you ! I listened to a youtube video of this piece, while reading the music. What an elegant piece; I can see why it is a good "starter" Chopin! I will certainly be giving it a try.

It really is melancholy, but beautiful. I love those last reverberating chords.

Jim, you'll have to let us hear you when you are comfortable with your performance, I'm serious!

Andy ... small steady progress is what we all aim for!
...and you've now given me yet another book to add to my music wishlist!

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
... everybody takes to this gem in entry to the magic world of Chopin ...

Well, I should have taken the E-minor Prelude as my maiden Chopin voyage. What I actually did start with is the A-minor Waltz Op.Pos., which I barely survived as a Chopin starter.

What's really neat about reaching a point where we can start studying pieces like the Chopin is that you can envision playing them for many, many years. Getting the right notes at the right time is just the beginning. These pieces offer all kinds of little nuances of technique and opportunities for individual expression. Also, there's this feeling of connection - with all of the students that have studied and will study the same pieces, as well as with the composer him/herself.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by btb
Hi Cheryl,

Here’s the famous Chopin Prelude 28-4 in E minor that Jim is talking about ... everybody takes to this gem in entry to the magic world of Chopin ... it’s a 25 measure Largo with a haunting RH single-note outline over a LH bed of repeating
3-note chords which gently descend ... with a foxy little turn at m16 before returning to the LH chordal motif ... and closing on 3 grand sustained chords ... back to the E minor keynote.

Just faxed Chopin ... telling him about the 21 October delivery of your little piano ... he says that his Prelude in E minor should prove just your cup of tea ... but he added ... after
E minor there are 23 more Preludes waiting in the wings.

Every good wish with your new piano adventure ... kind regards.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/fc28-4prelude.JPG

Ahh! The e minor prelude! It never ceases to amaze me how Chopin managed to write such a beautiful heartwrenching peace of music with such a simplistic melody on top of chromatically descending chords.

I've got the sheet music to that somewhere in my collection, and I could probably play the notes, but I have it on hold.
I want to wait until my technique is better, I don't want to botch the piece with half decent playing. :P

Originally Posted by JimF
These pieces offer all kinds of little nuances of technique and opportunities for individual expression.

That's the sort of thing I meant! laugh

Last edited by Pianosaurus Rex; 10/20/10 04:52 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Can’t fault your working list Jim.

Working on:
Embraceable You - G.Gershwin
Prelude in E Minor - Chopin Op.28-4
Misty - Erroll Garner
As Time Goes By - H.Hupfield

Am reminded that "As Time Goes By" is from the movie Casablanca
with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman ... and Sam at the piano singing

"You must remember this, a kiss is still a kiss, A sigh is just a sigh;
The fundamental things apply, As Time Goes By.
And when two lovers woo, they still say “I love you”, On that you can rely;
No matter what the future brings, As Time Goes By.”

Have you seen the movie "Play Misty For Me"
(Clint Eastwood)
in which Erroll Garner’s classic "Misty" is featured?

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
It's here!

Yamaha P112N-S, 7 years old, with silent option! (You can see a smidge of my digital in this one too..in the bottom corner!

[Linked Image]

The first thing I played was Danny Boy smile
Then a couple of pieces I know by heart - my Vinciguerra pieces, then Doll's Complaint and Candore... now... a bit of Moonlight seranade and then perhaps I'll take a shot at some Chopin?

I'm supposed to also do some grocery shopping and ironing. What are the odds that some things just won't get done today smile

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Its absolutely beautiful!!! Congratulations, Cheryl.

Christine

[Linked Image]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My watchword (post-shopping) is ...
and that’s provided there’s no chance of running out of tea, milk and sugar ...

"to heck with the chores ... when the piano needs playing"

The cuppa is needed to fully savour my recordings after a spell at the piano.

Congratulations Cheryl on delivery of your piano ... and Danny Boy starters ... take my fond advice ... "to heck with the chores" ... there are much bigger fish to fry.

PS You might need to buy a carpet to soak up the hard floor and wall surfaces seen in the photo ... just a thought.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Gorgeous!!! Enjoy!!! & let us know how the silencer works.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Yes, I think I'll be using the silencer on and off til I get used to it smile
and yes, I might need something on the floor..... we shall see.

I'm a little disappointed in that it seems a bit out of tune - it actually sounded better in the shop before it had been (supposedly) fine-tuned.
I'm not worried, but I do think it needs another going over by a technician.

The hard thing is to stay away from it, as I'm supposed to be resting my hands for about another week. arghh.....
We have guests coming for the weekend and we'll be quite busy, so that will help!

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thats just great, Cheryl. Looks terrific. How do like the Coates arrangements so far?

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Jim!
I really like the Coates arrangements - they sound right, even with my skill level!

smile

[Linked Image]

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
My big achievement (today!) was to get one of the etudes I'm practicing his week to actually sound like music. It's in 3/4 time, with a left hand that consists entirely of long strings of either B-G or C-G half notes (so each measure is either B-G-B-G-B-G or C-G-C-G-C-G.) I was finding the left hand part super hard to play legato with any degree of control. It sounded SO mechanical, & I was really starting to HATE this etude. But I stuck to the rules, & practiced measure by measure, first hands separately ad nauseum, then hands together each measure 3 or 4 times each, starting with the most difficult. Luckily, it repeats a lot, so there are only about 8 different measures in the whole thing. & after I did that for about half an hour, I put it all together, & it's beginning to sound like music. I even got some dynamics working!! So, by my lesson next Thursday I should have it down.

I have 3 etudes & 2 complicated scale runs to practice for this 2-week period, & so far, the scale runs are the ones I'm enjoying most. But I seem to have learned something from the one I liked the least.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I am officially taking a little break from playing stuff over my head, and will now concentrate on Grade 4-6 (ish) stuff for awhile.

I just played through, HT, page 1 of Waltz in A-minor (posthumous)! Granted it wasn't quite at tempo, but I covered lots of ground in about an hour (for me). smile

Starting this piece and finishing up a page capped off a good week for me.

PS-I am not versed in Chopin terminology yet...was this published after he died?

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
Page 12 of 540 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission