2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (Chris B, alans, AndrewJCW, Carey, 36251, ChickenBrother, BMKE, Dore, 10 invisible), 527 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm scheduled to move into a new house next month that I had built and is almost complete. It has a large family room where my piano will be situated, with an open floor plan that overlooks a separate kitchen with nook and formal dining room. The flooring is all tiled (except for bedrooms), with each tile being 18" in a diagonal pattern, which is beautiful. Needless to say, I want to showcase my piano and the tile flooring, but I'll still need some type of rug or carpeting for underneath the piano for acoustic reasons. I'm leaning towards an oval pattern. Should I put padding under the rug/carpet? Also, I'd appreciate feedback on those round flat cups (not sure of their proper name) that the piano's casters sit in. Are they effective in better spreading the load? I've been told not to worry about cracking the tiles but I still want to take every possible precaution. I'd appreciate input from fellow posters.
Thanks & best regards,
Roger

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I put in new Brazilian wood floors recently and I placed my L190 on acrylic caster cups. This worked out nicely.

If you find a rug, let me know, I'm looking as well.

C
C
We, too, have the caster cups on a hardwood floor. They were recommended and have worked out great.

Playing a rebuilt and refinished 1905 Chickering 6'6" and loving it.
New addition to the family... Roland HP508.

Bachelor's - Music/piano pedagogy emphasis
Master's - Education
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My piano sits directly on tile. There have been no problems. I don't think you need them, but they certainly won't hurt anything. They might even make it feel a bit more stable.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Check these guys out: Heritage Unlimited

They're on the level and I've gotten some nice rugs from them at reasonable prices. A good quality wool rug will outlast any synthetic.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
For acoustic softening, it does help to have a foam underlayment for your carpet. However, once in place on a carpeted floor, moving the piano will place more stress on the legs. So, if you need to move it, get help so that the piano is 'lifted' just a little bit--- not all the way in the air, just enough to let it skate easily.

Clef

My piano room has polished concrete floors. It's relatively small and very live. I put an 8x11 rectangular semi-shag carpet under my piano, with a foam underlay beneath that. It helped reduce the noise somewhat, but mainly it improved clarity. Before, the sound was washing itself out too much, and it was too "shatter-y", for want of a better term.

I'm not an acoustics expert, but I'd recommend a rug that's somewhat shaggy and well-textured, and a little denser or thicker, as I believe this helps reduce a wider range of frequencies. I worried that a smooth or thin rug might cut down certain frequencies while leaving others unaffected, which would distort the overall sound of the piano.

Caster cups are great, and lessen the chances that you'll have permanent dents in your carpet.

Shigeru Kawai SK6

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Check these guys out: Heritage Unlimited

They're on the level and I've gotten some nice rugs from them at reasonable prices. A good quality wool rug will outlast any synthetic.

I think we may have ordered from them before. They have a great selection of the longer hall runners.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
For acoustics, you will need to consider the surface of the walls and ceiling as well as the size and shape of the room.

It may be best to wait and listen before getting a rug.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Wow, thanks everyone for such helpful feedback!
Best regards,
Roger

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Grands usually sound better when they project at an angle down the long axis of a room. This also prevents the formation of standing waves - when sound being projected collides with sound being reflected.

There are two ways to approach reducing loudness, voicing the piano and voicing the room. Voicing the piano usually means voicing the hammers. Voicing is its own skill; not all techs have it. If you like your piano's tone, I'd suggest reducing volume by voicing the piano only as a last resort.

For voicing the room, the operative words are soft and irregular. So area rugs, wall hangings, cloth furniture, bookcases with books in them. What you're trying to do is to break up and absorb sound.

Devices such as acoustic caster cups, acoustic foam, and bass traps might be thought of as including elements of piano and room voicing. Supply sells Piattino cups here. Acoustic foam, such as that sold by Edwards String Covers in their Sound Reduction Kits, will not change your piano's tone if you have it fitted between the beams, under the soundboard. The foam could be obtained and cut by your tech. Some foam attenuates the treble more than the bass. I don't know if this is true for the foam sold by Edwards. If the bass register needs more attenuation, bass traps, such as those by Auralex Acoustics, will do that. The traps are usually most effective when mounted in corners. (Foam and traps are both used by recording studios. You or your tech should be able to locate them in your area.)

Your situation, including your aesthetic preferences, will determine which options are best for you.

If your piano should initially sound unbearably loud, just get yourself a set of musicians ear plugs, so that you can continue to play while you're deciding which options you want to pursue. Hearos plugs have been favorably reviewed, as have the much more expensive ones from Etymotic Research.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Great suggestions! Thanks so much for your valuable input. After I move in, I'll need to both play, as well sample the sound with someone else playing, to determine the acoustics of the room. It will probably take some time to optimize, but it will be a good experience.
Best regards,
Roger

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Two, Three and Four Hamburg Steinways in Concert
by Joseph Fleetwood - 08/11/22 10:32 PM
Dissonant overtones when mute rail is engaged
by MattH22 - 08/11/22 08:36 PM
Your piano teacher
by Dscally - 08/11/22 07:25 PM
To RD-2000 owners
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/11/22 07:18 PM
Buying a Yamaha U1?
by ada d. - 08/11/22 05:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,350
Posts3,215,600
Members106,065
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission