2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 540 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
Originally Posted by MaryBee
I like the Chopin etude I'm currently working on. There's a section where there are two measures to be played con forza, followed by one measure con fuoco, and then five measures con bravura. I'm trying to figure out the difference between playing with force, fire, and courage!

I'm just guessing, but are you then required to stretto your courage for another couple of bars? Is it 10/3?
I think you need courage just to open the book and look at this Etude!
You got it! The funny thing is, when I told my piano teacher that I wanted to learn another Chopin piece, he mentioned this one, and started playing it for me. After finished the opening section, he stopped and casually said, "and then another section starts here..." I should have asked for more details, but no. Hearing how sweet and beautiful the opening was, I fell in love with it, and decided that I wanted to learn it. When I went home that night, I listened to the whole piece and that was when I almost fell over from shock! Oh well, too late. I was already hooked.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Well, I have been procrastinating about getting back into an exercise program, maybe this is the "push" I need to (literally) get off my bottom and get to it!
Go for it Cheryl! When I started exercising again a few years ago, it helped immensely. I had been having bad pain in my hips, making it difficult to even walk at times. Once I got into better shape, the pain almost disappeared.

.....you have to watch for the rain, I'm moaning about the fog frown
We had a snow/ice storm yesterday, and my lesson was canceled again. Grrr. Oh well, I get to look forward to a couple of weeks where I'll have two lessons.

Mary Bee

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ok MaryBee, now, really , you have to tell us WHICH etude you are working on smile

Please and thank you .

I just saw... another lesson cancelled!!!!!! double GRRRRR, triple GRRRRRRR. That really stinks!!

Last edited by casinitaly; 02/03/11 12:36 PM.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

D
dlr Offline
D
Canonie, you crack me up smile I'll be hoping for some happy accidents this week!

My AOTW is that I gave away my old piano that had been sitting in my bedroom for months. Gone to the home of a friend who just started lessons, and was practicing on a keyboard. Yay!

As far as my playing, my arpeggio playing is becoming much more smooth. The break when I tuck my thumb under is pretty much gone. I've been working on being more expressive (proper dynamics and movement) on each piece that I'm working on. That's also coming along nicely. I really thought I was doing okay before, expression-wise. But my teacher wants more. More sensitivity to the music, bigger changes in dynamics (rather than mp to mf), more confidence. She played a section for me to demonstrate what she wants, and I was amazed. There's so much more I can do!

Denise

Take my hand, let me stand where no one stands alone
"give 100 monkeys typewriters and sooner or later they'll give you a sonnet"

Probably later!

I can not imagine playing at 6am. Even if I used the silent option on my acoustic so as not to disturb anyone, I doubt my brain and/or fingers would cooperate!

Have you actually tried it, though? It works wonders for me, the earliest possible time to play in the morning, and the latest possible time in the evening seem to be my best practise sessions, especially when I play in the morning.
Unfortunately I can't play every morning. frown

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician
M
M
I've been working on this piece call Spanish Serenade that has a lot of jumps and pedal in it. I played it 3 times today at lunch and made it thru with no burn notes. Just need to clean it up now. Maybe I'll have it ready for the next piano bar.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion."
Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Pianosaurus Rex
"give 100 monkeys typewriters and sooner or later they'll give you a sonnet"

Probably later!

I can not imagine playing at 6am. Even if I used the silent option on my acoustic so as not to disturb anyone, I doubt my brain and/or fingers would cooperate!

Have you actually tried it, though? It works wonders for me, the earliest possible time to play in the morning, and the latest possible time in the evening seem to be my best practise sessions, especially when I play in the morning.
Unfortunately I can't play every morning. frown

Early work best for me also. I've played as early as 4am, on my digital with headphones on, of course. I work on the hard stuff because my mind is fresh.

Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
dlr - isn't it fun to start getting into making your playing more expressive?

P-Rex - believe me....at 6am I'm not good for ANYTHING. Putting water in the kettle to boil is a challenge! ....and I can play til about 10-10.30pm if I haven't been working all day - but if I've had a full day of work, no way...it is hopeless.

Martin - congrats on your success with Spanish Seranade. Who is the composer?

[Linked Image]

M
M

I play it from memory today. I'll have to wait till I get home to look at the sheet music. I know it's in A Minor.

Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I am in AZ and it’s been cold here too. I am huddling with my puppies at 43F (hehehe). Don’t stone me for this. It’s really cold for us. It’s gotta be 20 degrees under normal.

Chryl - I will record my Christmas song (ahhhhh I still hate this one) again this weekend. The one I recorded yesterday won’t be any good. I noticed my husband is sleeping across the piano and my zoom captured his snoring in the recording. If I cannot take a better one, I will use this but hopefully I will get a better one. Also my husband suggested that I should get a decent clothe for this (Yes! You know why I love him). So hopefully I can present my Christmas struggle in a decent outfit without the snoring noise.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I noticed my husband is sleeping across the piano and my zoom captured his snoring in the recording.
laugh
Also my husband suggested that I should get a decent clothe for this (Yes! You know why I love him). So hopefully I can present my Christmas struggle in a decent outfit without the snoring noise.
How about a pair of nice snuggly, fuzzy bunny pajamas (with feet!)

Mary Bee
M
M

Cas, There's no composer on the sheet music, but it has a copyright 1966 By New School for Music Study, Inc. It's in 6/8 A minor.

Leo Tolstoy
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MartinJB

Cas, There's no composer on the sheet music, but it has a copyright 1966 By New School for Music Study, Inc. It's in 6/8 A minor.

Well Martin, I guess once you've got it in hand, you'll just have to play it for us!

[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
OK, let's see if anyone spots a pattern. My achievement/excitement this week was that I went to the second (and third) piano stores in my quest for an acoustic. This time I went to see the Hailun (bit disappointed) and Kawai (super-exicted) range. I had to go to two stores to get to see the Hailun and both K3/K5 I wanted to see - they were "sister stores" actually run by a husband and wife team.

I think the K3 is "mine" ... just have to get the wife to choose the color (she said "don't get black" but now she wants to see them to compare first). The K5 was nice but not that much nicer and I honestly found it hard to stop playing the K3. If I came down to play that every day I would be happy.

The wife at the second store urged me "just for fun" to go play the $114,000 Bechstein they had. It was a close run thing between that and the K3 but I think the Kawai has won wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
T
My achievement of the week actually happened 12 hours ago laugh I'm in a band and I play drums for the most part, but for today I pretty much made up half (or maybe a little bit more) of the entire song on piano in an hour or so. I've never been so focused before, it was really exciting smile If I could do that at home, I would be making songs all the time :T

I want to be good at what I do, but that doesn't mean I'll stop at just that laugh
Z
Z
AOTW (first one I've posted!) is getting independent left and right hand action on a simple piece by Bartok. The piece starts out with the left hand mirroring the right hand with lots of eighth notes and a few staccato's thrown in as well. In measure 6 the left hand plays a series of rising eighth notes (G,A,B,C) while in the right hand I have quarter note staccato's played at the same time as the G and B on the left hand and it took a bit to get this right, my fingers just wanted to contine to mirror each other. I had such a big grin on my face when I got through it the first time. Now working on timing with the metronome as my teacher always wants me exactly on the beat. I have the worst time getting started on the upbeat vice the downbeat, someting I'm sure we will work on for quite some time.

F
F
AOTW for me - finally getting a simple song making heavy use of syncopated rhythms played hands together, with metronome. Now to go after some more complicated...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
zinfan

Congrats. I think I know the piece you are talking about. Its a great feeling when you make those technical breakthroughs. Keep it up and you'll be whizzing through Bach two-part polyphony in a jiffy.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Andy,

That's terrific news. I'm sure you will love it. Re the color, LOL. My wife didn't tell me that black was the only acceptable color until after I went out of my way to inspect three or four mahagony pianos. tired

Not really an AOTW, but I just dropped my wife and her friend off at a cruise ship. I get to play for a whole week without headphones!!! Hope the dogs don't mind. grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Z
Z
Originally Posted by JimF
zinfan

Congrats. I think I know the piece you are talking about. Its a great feeling when you make those technical breakthroughs. Keep it up and you'll be whizzing through Bach two-part polyphony in a jiffy.

Thanks for the encouragement JimF! I looked up the title of the song now that I'm at home and it is funny enough titled Song. smile It was in Masterwork Classics Levels 1-2 a book that I love to play in. Coming soon Alberti Bass in the left hand, that should be quite the challenge.

Page 21 of 540 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission