2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 540 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 539 540
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
I think the K3 is "mine" ... just have to get the wife to choose the color (she said "don't get black" but now she wants to see them to compare first).

I nearly had a heart attack when I took my wife to the store this morning and she said she didn't like either the black or the mahogany and wouldn't have either in the house. Luckily it turns out that it was the polished look she didn't like, she preferred the satin black (cheaper than mahogany too), I got a price on that I liked and I've bought it!!!

She's also very worried about how loud it is ... I think she is rethinking her statement about not allowing me to keep the digital for practicing on ....

Now I have to face that long wait that many of you have had while it's prepped before delivery!!!

And I promise pictures and a recording when it's delivered.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Whoo hoo! How wonderful to be waiting on a new piano - congratulations.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
hey, thats great news, Andy. congratulations! thumb

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
How wonderful Andy!!!! CONGRATULATIONS. Doesn't your piano have a "practice pedal?" It shouldn't be too loud.
I can play mine at night once the children are asleep and it doesn't seem to bother them, even when I don't use the practice pedal.
How long must you wait before you get it?

Christine

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by GlassLove
How wonderful Andy!!!! CONGRATULATIONS. Doesn't your piano have a "practice pedal?" It shouldn't be too loud.

Actually my daughter said, "It's a bit too quiet when you press that".

I can play mine at night once the children are asleep and it doesn't seem to bother them, even when I don't use the practice pedal.

I think the kids would be fine ... my wife is a different story!

How long must you wait before you get it?

Eternity. Or about a week. I can't remember which.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats, Andy!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Originally Posted by JimF
DOH!! I spent a whole day misreading a scale!!!!!!!!!!!!
DOH! HEAD_SLAP DOH!

Somehow I was trying to play a e flat instead of the e-sharp (f) that I should have been playing! Doh!

Sometimes I feel really stupid. This is one of them. E muoio disperato!

Oh my, it must've felt odd when you found that out!

Anyway, it's still quite a nasty scale. smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Student/apprentice technician

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Andy!!!! I'm thrilled for you! Ah the wait is a killer.

I am so curious to hear about how you feel on the transition from dp to acoustic. You will find it SO LOUD! Especially if you've been used to turning down the volume on the dp.... Interestingly enough though, my husband has NEVER complained about the noise- I seem to be the only one intimidated by it. It took me about a month to feel "ok" with the sound level, and another month to feel "ok" with playing a bit of forte. Now I'm really testing the waters, and still no complaints. When you consider we have marble floors and hard plaster walls, (it really is pretty loud ) I think it is incredible that no on is complaining.

Can't wait to see pics of your new Baby!

MaryBee - I'd never heard that song before ...or rather, if I have heard it I don't remember it. I think it would be quite irritating to have it running through your head as you play!

Akira, -good for you! That's a lovely achievement!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Andy, how exciting! You are going to love it!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
I am so curious to hear about how you feel on the transition from dp to acoustic. You will find it SO LOUD! Especially if you've been used to turning down the volume on the dp.... Interestingly enough though, my husband has NEVER complained about the noise- I seem to be the only one intimidated by it. It took me about a month to feel "ok" with the sound level, and another month to feel "ok" with playing a bit of forte.
That was one of the hardest things to get used to when I got my acoustic. In fact, it has taken me about a year-and-a-half to feel comfortable playing ff. But then, I had my digital for over 15 years, so I was very used to it. My teacher has been pushing me for quite a while now to not be so timid with the volume. He told me last week to try to "scare" the people in my house when I play the con forza/con fuoco sections of my piece. I think I did it, because for the first time, my husband mentioned that it might be good if I use the practice pedal when I play that at night. smile

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
Z
Z
One achievement leads into another for me. Last week I decided I'd start walking to my lessons since it is only about a mile and a half and takes about 30 minutes to get there. That is great and all but during the lesson I mentioned to my teacher that I had trouble starting on the upbeat i.e. on the "and" instead of the "one" "two" etc. I just didn't have a good feel for it and it was effecting my dotted quarter notes.

For 15 minutes we worked on me marching to the metronome and trying to clap on the upbeat. I couldn't do it each upbeat but since the measure I was working on was a dotted quarter with a eighth note followed by a half note I tried doing just the one measure like so. Feet marching on "one" "two" "hand clap" feet continue to "three" "four" and it was very helpful. On the walk home I did my best impression of a crazy person as I repeated the drill with finger snaps taking place of the clapping (I'm sure clapping while walking down the street would get the white coats after me). I now feel much better about my eighth note timing and I hope to show the teacher tomorrow (and I'll have time to work it out on the way there during my walk).

Z
Z
Congratulations on your new piano Andy! I hope to buy an acoustic next year if all goes well.

D
dlr Offline
D
Wow, Andy ~ what a week! I think it's so cool that you're going to be having 90 minute lessons! When I was younger, my lessons were 30 minutes (of torture!). My new teacher is giving me one hour lessons, and it's perfect. There's no way 30 minutes would be long enough. I'm totally excited for you.

PLUS getting a new piano! You must be on pins and needles smile I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about it when you get it into your home. Congratulations!

My achievement is finally perfecting a section of the Mozart Fantasie that had been giving me trouble. It's not a difficult piece, doesn't seem like I should be having trouble with it. But there's one section that I just wasn't quite getting. I would hesitate a couple times, every time I played it. This week I focused on that section, playing slowly, and now I can play it over and over, at tempo, without hesitation. It was a fingering issue. Now I'm so much more relaxed when I play it, because I'm not anticipating a hitch.

D

Denise

Take my hand, let me stand where no one stands alone
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zinfan
One achievement leads into another for me. Last week I decided I'd start walking to my lessons since it is only about a mile and a half and takes about 30 minutes to get there. That is great and all but during the lesson I mentioned to my teacher that I had trouble starting on the upbeat i.e. on the "and" instead of the "one" "two" etc. I just didn't have a good feel for it and it was effecting my dotted quarter notes.

For 15 minutes we worked on me marching to the metronome and trying to clap on the upbeat. I couldn't do it each upbeat but since the measure I was working on was a dotted quarter with a eighth note followed by a half note I tried doing just the one measure like so. Feet marching on "one" "two" "hand clap" feet continue to "three" "four" and it was very helpful. On the walk home I did my best impression of a crazy person as I repeated the drill with finger snaps taking place of the clapping (I'm sure clapping while walking down the street would get the white coats after me). I now feel much better about my eighth note timing and I hope to show the teacher tomorrow (and I'll have time to work it out on the way there during my walk).

And now, from the department of silly walks, here's Zinfan!!! grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Z
Z
Originally Posted by JimF
Originally Posted by Zinfan

And now, from the department of silly walks, here's Zinfan!!! grin

Haha that is great and it didn't help that I was bopping along snapping my fingers in the rain today. Only crazy people walk in the rain right?

O
O
My AOTW: got a pass on Heller 47/7 ('The Hunt'), although I think I can do better than what I displayed to my teacher. Also got a pass on Bach BWVa 119, with lots of praise smile. New assignments for next week: Heller 47/8 and First Lessons in Bach/6. Challenging!!
But the biggest achievement is that I got a bit more comfortable playing my new piano (I'm still not used to the volume, so I tend to play with a bit of reservation).

Musicians don't die - they just decompose
-- Playing since 6 january 2009

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new piano, and on acclimatizing to having new levels of power at your fingertips wink Enjoy!

My AOTW has snuck up on me enough times in the past few days that I think it's real -- I can now hear simple sheet music in my head when I pre-read it prior to sight reading. I keep finding myself realizing in mid preview that a piece whose name rings no bells is actually a tune that I recognize.

Stuff that I've never heard before is harder to summon in my head, but if the tune is simple-minded enough, I now can get a pretty good idea of what it should sound before I even touch the piano.

Since I've only been back to playing piano again for a couple of weeks, I think this development must be a delayed payoff from all the hard work I was doing on sight reading before my quit-smoking piano hiatus.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 02/16/11 06:31 PM.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Tangleweeds,
That is really a wonderful accomplishment. I cannot do that yet, but I am able to imagine the possibility, thus also able to long for the ability.
It will be interesting to hear about how this new ability affects your playing. Please share in the future if you feel like it.

Christine

[Linked Image]
E
E
AOTW? Probably finally managing to get the rhythm of bars 3/4 of Pathetique Mvt 3 right. I was thinking about it one night, something seemed to click, so the next morning, the first thing I did was sit down and try it. I could have jumped for joy!
Add that to a really good lesson this week as well laugh

I wish I could have lessons longer than 30 minutes, but I really can't afford it at the minute, so lucky you!

Repertoire:
Complete:
Beethoven- Op 27/2 'Moonlight' Mvt.1
Beethoven - Op 13 'Pathetique' Mvt.2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tangleweeds that actually made me audibly gasp. Adult learning is amazing! How is it that we can make such impossible, intangible skills become reality. I'm not surprised that it should come after a rest.. not sure why but that timing seems right somehow.

da da da DAH diDAH diDAH....... Ooooohhhh that bar Emphursis - well done smile

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I have no achievements to report, but I'm really enjoying reading about everyone's progress. It keeps me optimistic and inspired!

Way to go AOTW Team!!!!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Page 23 of 540 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission