2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (fullerphoto, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 540 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Tangleweeds - What a nice breakthrough. Smokefree and can hear written music. Your synapses have come out of the fog! thumb grin

Cheryl - Yes you did. You posted a nice recording in the recital. Congrats.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
Tangleweeds - What a nice breakthrough. Smokefree and can hear written music. Your synapses have come out of the fog! thumb grin

Cheryl - Yes you did. You posted a nice recording in the recital. Congrats.

aw, blush Thanks Jim!
I've truly been greatly cheered by the kind support and encouragement I've had in the feedback on my piece.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ok....lol I have composed my first piano piece!

It is about 50 bars long and I'm vastly amused with myself, my husband is quite entertained as well.

It is, of course still a first draft,and I'll review it with my teacher tomorrow - I've written a few things that sound great but are really hard for me to play - how funny is that!?

I did some tinkling at the piano, and used MuseScore to write it up. MuseScore also has a playback feature so you can hear what you've done. (Hence the writing of parts I can't play all that well)....

Once I have it refined and playable, I will share the "first final version" I expect a few modifications as I get better at this.
(How cheeky am I? I just ASSUME you want to hear it smile )

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What an accomplishment! Of course we want to hear it! (How could you think otherwise?)

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
What an accomplishment! Of course we want to hear it! (How could you think otherwise?)

lol.. well, that's the cheeky part - I didn't smile

Kidding aside, I look at this thread group with particular fondness and can't wait to have something presentable to post and share with you all!

[Linked Image]

What got me excited this week? I learnt how to solo....OK, not fully, but for Watermelon Man, which is the piece I have been working with. My tutor showed me a few bits and pieces playing with the blues scale on that song and cut me off at the knees and call me shorty, I got it to work! Sure, it doesn't sound like what he can do (I am in awe when I here him play), but its a start and made me happy!

The other thing I have noticed of late as well, is I am hearing better when it comes to other music. I have been downloading a lot of different jazz/blues/soul music and I have noticed that I am really starting to hear the piano a lot stronger then I used to.

Cheers

Last edited by hoffy; 02/21/11 07:13 AM.

Help!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Hoffy, do you mean improvising? Creating the rest of the piece on your own? That's really cool!

I too have noticed my hearing improving in terms of picking out left and right hand, and isolating instruments, mostly piano, but also others.
Exciting, isn't it?

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

I hope you haven't made it too hard, because then I can make it one of my weekly "throw-aways". I will present you to my teacher as a well-known contemporary Italian composer. thumb (well-known to those on PW's AOTW thread)

Last edited by JimF; 02/21/11 06:46 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

I hope you haven't made it too hard, because then I can make it one of my weekly "throw-aways". I will present you to my teacher as a well-known contemporary Italian composer. thumb (well-known to those on PW's AOTW thread)

Too funny! No it isn't too hard - heck *I* can play it smile
It isn't terribly sophisticated but ....sure I'll share it- including the whole story behind and what the piece illustrates!

I will of course also have to "perform" it for you all smile
I had my lesson today and we tweaked it - and after the lesson I tweaked it again - to make it a bit easier for me to play and also to bring a bit more drama to it.

Edited to add....
Hey, I just realized you want to make my first orginal piano composition a THROW AWAY PIECE??? I think I should be offended! (.....nah....Not really I'm rofl, and flattered you would even consider it, sight unheard so to speak!)

Last edited by casinitaly; 02/21/11 06:53 PM.

[Linked Image]

I made it through the first 5 measures with no mistakes!

Baby steps I keep telling myself!

Last lesson, I was amazed that I forgot a very basic premise...fingering and hand position. I was moving my hands all over the place...my "coach" (I like that term better than teacher) showed me that I could play four measures straight without moving her hands around if I were to keep my right hand in middle C position! One of those smack the forehead moments where I said "DOH! I knew that!"

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl, I cannot wait to see it too. I also appreciated you mentioned MuseScore. I did not know such service existed. I wind up not being able to see many parts of my composition due to heavy pencil marks.

As far as my AOTW is concerned, not so much. I already practiced today. Got the notes down for my recital piece - 1st movement of Beethoven's Pathetique. Now it's the hard part. The speed is not there. There are many fast runs. I think I have to completely memorize it. It will be fun (?) to memorize this. I was listening to the recording of famous and not-so-famous pianists. One person (not-so-famous one) mistakenly went back to a wrong page at repeat. Oh, they are human too:) Anyway, it was lots of fun to listen to different interpretation, quality of sounds and simply different way of playing. I will go back there and play something different now.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My AOTW was the amount of time I got on my upright since the family was away for a couple of days. (wahoo! grin )

I managed to record 4 of the pieces I've been working on with one great, two okay, and one real clunker, but that's recording. The other 3 pieces eluded successful recording, but oh well. *sigh*

I also got some serious practice time on a couple of Grieg pieces (waltz and ballade) which there is a thread here about recently. (I'm lovin' Grieg's lyrical pieces!)

And finally, I was reminded that the action on my Kawai upright is a little heavier than my Roland digital. I really should try to get more practice time on my upright when I get the chance.

A great week! (or, um, I mean a great couple of days grin )

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Hoffy, do you mean improvising? Creating the rest of the piece on your own? That's really cool!

I too have noticed my hearing improving in terms of picking out left and right hand, and isolating instruments, mostly piano, but also others.
Exciting, isn't it?

Not quite, I am not sure whether what I have been taught is 100% right, but I have either been using the notes from the blues scale or the notes from the appropriate cord/scale, playing them in a rhythmic fashion and seeing what happens.

Help!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

re: Cheryl's Snoring Sonata (it was something like that, wasn't it?) sleep

Hey, I just realized you want to make my first orginal piano composition a THROW AWAY PIECE??? I think I should be offended!

True enough, it does sound like I'd be putting you out with the trash. But think of the company you'd be keeping! Recent throwaways have been names like Diabelli, Gurlitt, and Bartok. wink grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

re: Cheryl's Snoring Sonata (it was something like that, wasn't it?) sleep

Hey, I just realized you want to make my first orginal piano composition a THROW AWAY PIECE??? I think I should be offended!

True enough, it does sound like I'd be putting you out with the trash. But think of the company you'd be keeping! Recent throwaways have been names like Diabelli, Gurlitt, and Bartok. wink grin

This popped up just as I was about to head off to get supper started - you made me laugh!

It is called "In dormiveglia "russo" " which is a joke/play on words.
I thought it as I was awaking up - hence "dormiveglia" which can be when you are falling asleep or waking up (half and half state of conciousness)... Then I added "russo" because it sounded Russian.
Russo also means "snore" and my teacher added the "in" So, Poetrically we could call it Russian Slumber, or .... less so... "Half awake, I snore"
We were killing ourselves laughing.

Indeed I would be in good company - I shall cease complaining Jim smile

[Linked Image]

O
O
I'm still on a high from yesterday's lesson. Last week I was assigned nr 6 from First Lessons in Bach, and it kind of fell under my fingers. I knew I would surprise my teacher with the progress I had made, but apparently I did better than we both expected. It's off the assignment list, and is replaced with CPE Bach's Solfeggietto.

Funny thing is: usually I have a lot more trouble learning pieces, to the extent that I play them from memory by the time I have another lesson (due to lots and lots of repetitions). The last few pieces from First Lessons in Bach are different. I can't play them without the sheet music. My reading is definitely improving (and yes, I know that I'm not really reading when I've played a piece tens of times, but I'm still happy with this progress).

Musicians don't die - they just decompose
-- Playing since 6 january 2009
Originally Posted by Zinfan
One achievement leads into another for me. Last week I decided I'd start walking to my lessons since it is only about a mile and a half and takes about 30 minutes to get there. That is great and all but during the lesson I mentioned to my teacher that I had trouble starting on the upbeat i.e. on the "and" instead of the "one" "two" etc. I just didn't have a good feel for it and it was effecting my dotted quarter notes.

For 15 minutes we worked on me marching to the metronome and trying to clap on the upbeat. I couldn't do it each upbeat but since the measure I was working on was a dotted quarter with a eighth note followed by a half note I tried doing just the one measure like so. Feet marching on "one" "two" "hand clap" feet continue to "three" "four" and it was very helpful. On the walk home I did my best impression of a crazy person as I repeated the drill with finger snaps taking place of the clapping (I'm sure clapping while walking down the street would get the white coats after me). I now feel much better about my eighth note timing and I hope to show the teacher tomorrow (and I'll have time to work it out on the way there during my walk).

And now, from the department of silly walks, here's Zinfan!!! grin

I love that Monty Python Skit! But you can't refer to it without posting a youtube clip! It's just not good form! grin grin

Silly Walks

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
hee hee good one Cobra.

So, my achievement is a bit of a passive one ...I went to the dr yesterday.
I was a bit disconcerted to see how young she was, but once I got over that, I thought she was just great. Of course it was all in Italian and there were some technical terms... fortunately I had done some homework and knew some of the terms in Enlgish and she was very careful to give examples and explainations to be sure I was following her. It worked just fine.

It is tendonitis (specifically trigger finger or "ditto a scatto", and we shall see if it can be treated with therapies.
She said that if this kind of problem goes too far without attention, it can become irreversible so I'm hoping that with this therapy it will be ok.
If not...well, we'll cross that bridge later, but I was pleased with the way she interacted with me.

I don't have to stop playing, but I will maintain my reduced playing levels for a while longer and avoid playing certain pieces that stress the pinky more than others.
She suggested stretching both before and after playing and also soaking my hands in warm water (alla Glen Gould smile ) .... interestingly - acute tendonitis likes cold, my kind, which unfortunately is called "chronic" - likes heat.

I have a little splint, or brace, to wear at night to keep the last 3 fingers of my right hand extended. (To help them relax)
I have to also put a "patch" with an anti-inflammatory med on overnight.
I have to do some massages with an arnica cream
I have to do a lot of gentle stretching exercises and some massage to the forearm.
I will also be doing some parafin treatment ( the same sort of thing you have if you get a treatment at the esthetician).

I have to report back in 3 weeks.

So... so far so good.
Let's see how it rolls.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bummer to hear that, Cas. It's nice to hear that you're getting treatment for it.

And, by the way, "ditto a scatto" sound like it could be a title for an Einaudi piece! laugh

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maybe Cheryl will write a new piece called "ditto a scatto" while waiting for her hands to recover.

Glad your visit went well and that there is some way that you can intervene.

Christine

[Linked Image]
Page 24 of 540 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission