2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 39 of 540 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the words (and thumbs) of support Farmgirl and Cathy.

In the end it all worked out OK, and I don't think its going to do me any good if I try to pick apart exactly where I went off the rails on first try. I am glad my teacher convinced me to get back up and give it a second shot, because I sure wouldn't have wanted that hanging over my head for the next year as I contemplated whether I should ever attempt it again. Now I know I can get through it and its really no big deal. The audience, which was a LOT bigger than I expected at about 150, was as kind and supportive as you could possibly want. I'll try to remember that next time.

Had my lesson today and as expected my teacher loaded me up with new pieces. Looks like I've graduated from AMB's notebook finally. Both of these new Bach pieces are really short one pagers. I asked her to pick a classical piece and she tossed in the Mozart, which looks like it might be one of his "easy" minuets that I never find too easy. The Chopin is coming along and I was able to play it through for her HT today on the first try without too many mistakes. Now need to work on keeping my right hand really soft while bringing out the melody in the left.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lain
In trying to memorize a recital piece, I wrote down the harmony of the beginning of every phrase and created a visual map of the score with section numbers. I don't want to get embarrassed on stage because of a muscle memory slip.
Lain, this sounds like an interesting aid for helping to memorize. What does a "visual map" look like?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
In trying to memorize a recital piece, I wrote down the harmony of the beginning of every phrase and created a visual map of the score with section numbers. I don't want to get embarrassed on stage because of a muscle memory slip.
Lain, this sounds like an interesting aid for helping to memorize. What does a "visual map" look like?

I photocopied the score in a way such that the notes are barely visible, then numbered the sections I wanted to know by heart with a thick black marker. I then drilled myself by randomly playing different sections, using the physical location of the sections on the score as a cue. It was helpful initially, but I don't think I need the map anymore. Studying the harmony is probably most helpful for me, but I should probably study more music theory to add to my notes... Do you have any other tips for someone with a poor memory? laugh

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Lain that sounds really interesting! For shorter pieces I've tried writing the score out - obviously you can only do this for small pieces or for sections, but it helps me understand where my memory falls apart.

Denise - what a productive time you've been having - good for you!

Teodor, your friend is amazing!!!!!!...

JimF - did you invert left and right ? Melody in the left, background in the right?
Glad you are feeling "on track" again!

My lesson is tomorrow and I will show my teacher what I've done with the pieces she gave me last week. I haven't really touched one of them but I've done serious work with 2 of them to the point where I can play one without the sheet music albeit verrrrrrry slowly. The satisfying thing about the 2 pieces (1 Vinciguerra and the Beethoven) is that I can feel things I've learned before coming into play. Very satisfying indeed.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Lain, I use similar technique as yours. I number them. But I have not wrote down the first code for each section. That may be very effective. I do recall i had a hard time remembering the first code of a piece. It's the mustle memory. I read music when I am studying but I stop reading (being aware of the notes) once memorized. That's when, as you know, the bad thing happens. In order to prevent this, we have to know the construction of the piece.. As you mentioned, I think the theory is important. It does come into play here.. Otherwise we will play blindly (literally) soley depending on the musle memory which is very fragile and break down easily...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I "composed" (haven't written it down yet) a small piece that almost makes musical sense.

I called it the Haunted House and here is the story behind it.

Two couples decide to get away from the busy city life and rent an old house in the suburbs. As soon as they unpack and start getting comfortable strange things begin to happen all over the place. Nothing much at first but then gradually the ghost starts hunting them down one by one and one by one the people die. The ghost grows stronger and stronger after every death he causes, so in the end he causes the house to collapse, the chromatic cadence is meant to represent this collapse (it sounds explosive first when I play it as fast as possible and gradually slow it down) when the walls and ceilings are going down on the last survivors and then part of the main theme reappears but since no one remains standing it's ended in a resolved manner with a C octave in the left and C minor in the right hand.

Here is what I have so far.

But like I said it's really messy.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I photocopied the score in a way such that the notes are barely visible, then numbered the sections I wanted to know by heart with a thick black marker. I then drilled myself by randomly playing different sections, using the physical location of the sections on the score as a cue.
That sounds like it might be worth a try. Thanks for the idea!

Do you have any other tips for someone with a poor memory? laugh
Sorry, no. So far I've been mostly looking for patterns in the music and marking chords. I'm terrible at memorizing. (Maybe because I never tried to do it until just two years ago.) And I don't think my teacher is a great help in this area, because memorizing is pretty much effortless for him. That's why I asked you!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lain - Sorry, no great tips from me for memory either. I do try to write in the main harmonic elements for most of my pieces. By this I mean I will write in the name of a chord above the notes as well as the scale degree designation (don't know if thats the right terminology). So I might end up with something written above the music like:

G(I) Em(vi) Am(ii) F#m(vii) D(V) G(I)

I've never done this specifically to help with memory - more in the hope that I will learn something about the music. Also, I've hoped that writing the chord names will help me to quickly see and identify these note combinations at some point in the future. It does reveal patterns, however, and that helps memory.

Cheryl - re inverting. The Chopin B minor prelude has the melody in the left and harmonic accommpanying chords in the right. And the right has to be played very quietly. Kind of the opposite of many pieces. Hence the challenge. I'm not familiar with Vinciguera, is there a youtube link you like? I listened to your Beethoven piece, its really nice.

Farmgirl - I don't understand what you mean by "first code", can you explain?

Teodor - Nice job. I'll take Professor Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick. grin (No, I don't suppose anyone here will get that reference)

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JimF
Teodor - Nice job. I'll take Professor Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick. grin (No, I don't suppose anyone here will get that reference)

Not quite sure of the Clue/Cluedo reference but it sounds like the house needed some pesky kids to stop the ghost getting away with it.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I'm not familiar with Vinciguera, is there a youtube link you like? I listened to your Beethoven piece, its really nice.

Sure!
This is the first Vinciguerra piece I learned - and really the first true bit of music I felt I'd played on the piano ..AND it is in E maj ! 4 sharps !!)
Vinceguerra, Verde Smeraldo (Emerald Green)
Another is Lilla that I played in the May 2010 recital, (only 3 sharps in that key sig.)

There are three pieces here - the last one is one of my assignements, (the one I haven't started yet) 3 preludi orientali

Vinciguerra's pieces are didactic and have themes. The first set were "preludi colorati" then the second I have is "preludi orientali" - he also has jazz preludes, preludes in the park and many many more. They are great fun.

Thanks for clarifying on the Chopin "inversion" ... I think it would drive me nuts at this point, I've just barely got my right hand playing a bit stronger than the left!!!

I'll take Professor Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick. grin (No, I don't suppose anyone here will get that reference)

I got it, but it sounded more like Peter Gunn to me smile

Teodor, that's good fun - let's hear it again when you have more done!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I FINALLY found the sheet music to THIS version of the theme to Jurassic Park.

Its Hal Leonard serial number is HL.120905. Needless to say, I ordered a copy immediately. That got me excited.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F

Farmgirl - I don't understand what you mean by "first code", can you explain?

)[/i]

I will divide the piece into meaningful sections. For example, Beethoven's pathetique 1st movement can be divided into 35 sections. Very similar to Lain's method, I number them and make sure I can start at any number. For me, it helps me to memorize a piece better if I remember what Chord or notes each section starts. I try to be able to tell a story, Example: Section 1 - the sonata starts with the c minor chord root position. Section 2 - starts with e flat octaves. Secton 3 - the second inversion of the c minor chord followed by chromatic scale .....

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl - Nice. If it helps develop a rock steady left hand like the gal in the video it will be well worth it.

Farmgirl - Ok, makes sense now. I may try something like that with the next longer piece I get.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
My AotW was eliciting the phrase, "Move on already" from my wife, the 15th time I'd played the same measure. Kind of strange for an AotW but the point is that I can play the notes OK, just not exactly right and that's why I was repeating them so much. A few months ago I wouldn't have even been able to hear it was wrong.

And I'm hoping my next week's post will be that I've finally cracked this measure!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Isn't it great to learn how to practice? Took me almost 2 years to "get it" that it's easier to learn chunks, & to learn them slowly.

I'll be done with the Beyer études in a week or 2, depending on schedules (mine & my teacher's) & on how long it takes me to learn the 100th (& last) étude in the book. It looks impossible right now but - chunk by chunk & I'll get there. I spent some time on it this morning & I've almost got one chunk figured out.

My teacher commented yesterday how much my technique has improved in the past couple of months. I think it's from being on the MOYD list - haven't missed a day yet! The thing I've noticed is that although I still make mistakes, the music in between the mistakes sounds so much more - musical! :•)

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
I didn't accomplish anything this week. But I travelled to southern California (for work) and took the time to visit 2 piano stores. One in Ontario (50 miles east of LA) and another in Santa Monica. Although I didn't walk out with the grand piano that I someday hope to purchase, I did buy some new sheet music: a Joplin book and the Charlie Brown theme song (I promised the boss that I would learn that song.)

Last edited by Michael Taylor; 05/28/11 02:21 AM.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Carol - good for you - how satisfying. Andy- that's a sort of compliment, really isn't it?
Michael - window shopping is a nice activity and going home with new music is great fun.

My AOTW is , for me, really quite thrilling.
I've been working on Gypsy Legend to make it sound prettier, flow more smoothly. really making sure I've got a handle on "leaping" about the keyboard. ..in Preparation for the recital next week, remember smile
Tonight I was playing before my evening class started - while I was waiting for my students.
One came in early and "caught" me playing, and asked me to play more. So I played GL, - and I did it REALLY well, with not a single glitch!!!! WHILE she was talking to me throughout the piece! lol. I know it is short but she chatted away (complimenting me). It was very funny and I was VERY pleased.!

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That's great Cheryl - sounds like a good way to get "bulletproof" on your piece. You're going to play it beautifully.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zuul
It's the first thing I've learned on my own from reading music. It's still a bit out of my playing range but not too much. Taking lessons was the best thing I've done for myself musically. Should've started sooner. Hindsight...

-Zuul

i think ur doing great!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zuul
Many achievements have been had recently. The two that excite me the most are being able to play the C scale with both hands at the same time without messing up and most of all this...

It's the first thing I've learned on my own from reading music. It's still a bit out of my playing range but not too much. Taking lessons was the best thing I've done for myself musically. Should've started sooner. Hindsight...

-Zuul

Wow, very beautiful thumb

Page 39 of 540 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission