2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 40 of 540 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Paperclip
Originally Posted by Zuul
Many achievements have been had recently. The two that excite me the most are being able to play the C scale with both hands at the same time without messing up and most of all this...

It's the first thing I've learned on my own from reading music. It's still a bit out of my playing range but not too much. Taking lessons was the best thing I've done for myself musically. Should've started sooner. Hindsight...

-Zuul

Wow, very beautiful thumb

have u been on his youtube, he's only been learning a few months, I'm actually a bit jelous, I really need to pull my finger out and get some more theory and practicing done, (I'm self taught)

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Cheryl, that's fantastic!!

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
smile Thanks Jim & Carol, I must say I was really really pleased! I had been starting to feel unnerved that I was still flubbing here and there (and on such a short piece!!! mamma mia!) - So I spent a lot of time looking at the score again, I even wrote it out a few times, played while singing the notes - and it really does seem to have made a big difference.

Zuul, I missed your video before - that was really well done indeed! What is the name of the piece??

Polyphasicpianist - I enjoyed your Jurrasic Park too - I like a lot of John William's music.
Thanks for including the reference number.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
On Sunday we had a house full of people and I played one of the pieces I've been working on. Flawless...no. BUT I didn't apologize for it and enjoyed the accomplishment of sitting down and playing for an audience.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
On Sunday we had a house full of people and I played one of the pieces I've been working on. Flawless...no. BUT I didn't apologize for it and enjoyed the accomplishment of sitting down and playing for an audience.

Believe me I don't aspire to "flawless", this was the happy result of some intense studying over the weekend and a very sympathetic audience. Had I flubbed it a bit (as is usual!) - I would not have apologized either. I agree with you that the pleasure of playing for an audience is a treat in and of itself!

Good for you!

[Linked Image]

Z
Z
Wayne and Paperclip, thank you both very much. Paperclip, Thumb?

I've actually had to stop lessons for a while due to expenses. But I'm confident that I'll keep progressing just the same. I've got books and videos and the internet. It's really all about motivation, work, and encouragement. Your comments sparked an hour of scale/etude work and for that I thank you again. I'm getting closer to playing for 6 months now and I'm happy with my progress, sort of. heheh Anyway....

Casinitaly the piece is from a Super Nintendo game called Chrono Trigger. It's the background music in a place called The Brink of Time. I still don't play it correctly. But it's close enough to recognize.

Had a bad week last week. This week is a different story. Just about put Cool Breeze together. A simple piece really, but something I needed after lack of progress last week. Working on Prelude which is coming along.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This week I have just got to play the Minuet in D minor from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach. My playing is not amazing, but I like it. Now I enjoy playing this wonderful minuet.

I’m starting to learn the Fantasia nº 2 by Telemann (36 fantasias for harpsichord). It looks difficult, as it has no repetitions. And the tempo is Presto, although I’ll play it more slowly, for sure. But it’s so beautiful music that I want to try it.

Regards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Recaredo
This week I have just got to play the Minuet in D minor from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach. My playing is not amazing, but I like it. Now I enjoy playing this wonderful minuet.
It's great when you get to that point with a piece, where you suddenly enjoy practicing it, and just love the way it sounds. I just hit this point with Clair de Lune, and now rather than dreading it and putting off to the end of my practice session, I can't wait to sit down and start working on it.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yea WiseBuff - prep for a CO piano party at Strings & Woods laugh . It's really nice to be able to play something for friends - way to go.

Zuul - sorry about the lessons, but you certainly can still progress. I've learned so much hanging out in the ABF, and the pianists corner, even tho I don't play classical and certainly not the advanced repertoire they play. But there's always tips and tricks, particularly about playing with less tenseness, that have made enormous differences in my learning ability. Stick with us! I'm glad you like playing enough to keep doing so.

GracieCat - yea for the week turning around - the Piano Bar for Cool Breeze?

Recaredo - I love your repertoire. Telemann is awesome.

I've been trying to average an hour a day this year (I almost did last year), and thru May I'm still on target smile I'm working on getting a couple of ragtime pieces at a faster speed than I've played them before - I want to be to play at a tempo which makes me tap my foot at two beats/measure instead of 4 laugh We're getting there!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
What a burst of activity this week! Three cheers for everyone!

Zuul, thanks for the name of the music. I don't know much about Super Nintendo, so I never would have guessed what that piece was. I hope you can get back to having lessons soon, but in the meantime, as MaryBee said, you can get a lot of coaching from the forums.

GracieCat, glad your week is turning around!!!
Recaredo, I don't know Telleman, but I too have been working on the Musette and I think it is charming - and fun to play! Glad you are enjoying your "homework" so much!

MaryBee when are we going to hear your Claire de Lune?

Cathy, that's great progress ....and dedication! And I'm just a tad envious that you get to hook up with other forum members for s piano party! Woohoo!!! I hope there will be pics and video clips!

[Linked Image]

Hi everyone. I've enjoyed reading all of the achievements on this thread. Congrats to all of you!! I'm mostly a lurker but I'm going to change that.

My achievement is simple. I managed to play today. I recently had a personal tragedy in that a cousin I grew up with passed away. She was a beautiful person and only 41. She lost her battle with an eating disorder. This hit me so hard that every time I tried to concentrate at the piano my mind would wonder.

But today....oh finally today....I sat down fully expecting the same struggle, and began to play. When I looked up a couple of hours had passed and my spirits had lifted. I'm back!!!!!!! It feels great.

Thanks for listening. I hope I didn't bring down such a positive thread.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Hi HG, please don't think for a moment that you've brought "down" our thread.

We are here to celebrate - and clearly you have been greatly comforted by your music. That is indeed something to lift the spirits.

You have my sincere condolences for your loss. I have beloved cousins with whom I grew up, and I would be heartbroken to lose one of them.

I'm glad your music helped you today. Thanks for coming here to tell us.

[Linked Image]

What kind words casinitaly. Thank you. I'm glad I didn't bring you down.

I'm working on Alfred 3 at the moment which I had put aside for a while. Also, I'm working on a couple of David Nevue pieces and I just bought an Einaudi book that I'm looking forward to exploring.

I'm so glad to be back.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Recaredo,

That is a really nice minuet. Good choice for learning to hear/play the two separate melodies in bass and treble. I don't know the Telemann, but anything presto scares the bejesus out of me! Good for you for taking it on. thumb

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
....enjoy practicing it, and just love the way it sounds...

LOL. laugh Just this morning I told my wife that scales, exercises, and sight reading are the broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach of my practice session. The Bach and Mozart are the meat and potatoes currently, and the Chopin B-minor is my delicious dessert 3hearts.

Yes, I have to clean my plate before I get to dessert. cry

Last edited by JimF; 06/02/11 03:36 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome HG. Glad you found your way back to the bench and to this thread. Stick around. We're all about finding the good things in (piano) life to dwell on.

Are you a left coaster, right coaster, or a Disney?

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
Just this morning I told my wife that scales, exercises, and sight reading are the broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach of my practice session.
That's so funny. My teacher often tells me, "You have to eat your vegetables".

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks all you for your kind comments!. This thread is really encouraging.

Thanks JimF. I will stick around.

Actually I'm a Horse country resident. I live in Ocala. I have family around Disney though.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
Page 40 of 540 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission