2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (anotherscott, 20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1818425 01/04/12 02:57 PM
N
OP Offline
N
After reading the other thread (and not wanting to hijack it), why would someone desire this certification if they are not 1) trying to enter a professional music school or 2) planning on teaching?

nanette0269 #1818444 01/04/12 03:44 PM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
It sets specific goals to aim for that let you gauge how you're progressing.

For some people, it motivates them to practice more.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 01/04/12 03:45 PM.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
nanette0269 #1818449 01/04/12 03:53 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Why indeed?

I haven't a clue. Perhaps some people feel a need for external validation that I was born without. This grading thing has always seemed inexplicable to me.

P.S. Or perhaps it was too many years of primary, secondary, undergrad and graduate school with their incessant test-taking that destroyed any urge I had to be "graded".

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
nanette0269 #1818452 01/04/12 04:00 PM
N
N
Answer/ask the other way...........why not?

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
neildradford #1818456 01/04/12 04:05 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by neildradford

From my .sig I'll quote the phrase "Ars Longa, Vita Brevis" which means either "People with big keisters die young" or more to the point "There ain't enough hours in the day to perfect your art". Just be sure you know what is truly important, it's hard to imagine someone on their death bed at age 104 saying "If only I'd taken my Grade 5 exam".

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
nanette0269 #1818459 01/04/12 04:05 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
much like a college degree to a farmer..quoting Shakespeare to the cows.. smile

nanette0269 #1818498 01/04/12 05:12 PM
Are the exams widely available in the US? I've contemplated pursuing the exams....I guess it's my competitive nature. My primary reason would be to ensure that I am progressing. Having a structured program to follow doesn't have to be a death sentence.....especially if you can go at your own pace.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
nanette0269 #1818505 01/04/12 05:18 PM
Why RCM and why examinations and certifications are two different questions.

Some people are motivated by having exams to prepare for.

I am not one of those people, but I have very much appreciated using the RCM materials in my lessons. I get a wide variety of really interesting music, and there is a workbook that goes with the series that provides brief biographies of the composers and information about how the music is structured and how you might approach it.

Brent H #1818515 01/04/12 05:34 PM
N
N
Originally Posted by Brent H

From my .sig I'll quote the phrase "Ars Longa, Vita Brevis" which means either "People with big keisters die young" or more to the point "There ain't enough hours in the day to perfect your art". Just be sure you know what is truly important, it's hard to imagine someone on their death bed at age 104 saying "If only I'd taken my Grade 5 exam".

Equally I cannot imagine someone saying "if only I hadn't taken my grade 5 exam".
Two sides to every coin (unless you're into magic tricks :-p)

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
neildradford #1818582 01/04/12 07:11 PM

Because:

1) not trying to enter a professional music school
2) and not planning on teaching

Learning piano from 01 March 2010 to 2015. Restarting in 2020.
- Ex: Yamaha P-85, Kawai ES-4
- Current: Kawai CA-63
- Videos
- soundcloud
supertorpe #1818595 01/04/12 07:29 PM
L

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013

L
Personally, I am someone who is motivated by goals. Just doing pieces and scales every week is fun, but doesn't really give me that push I need to try to improve.

I guess it's the same reason people train for a marathon instead of just running for exercise. Why would you run a marathon if you don't intend to qualify for the Olympics? Why do people climb a mountain or swim the English Channel? Not because they are going to become professionals at it.

For me, it's having a goal to work towarand the opportunity to overcome my fears by getting through a formal exam process. Mind you, I may feel differently after I've done the exam! But I'm hoping if I totally blow it, it will motivate me to do better next time.

nanette0269 #1818605 01/04/12 07:44 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
So LisaE, would you be just as fulfilled by running a marathon or climbing a mountain as you are by playing the piano? I mean is it all about taking on a formalized challenge and seeing if you can meet it? Would 'most any challenge do?

Not meaning to pick on you specifically but I've just not seen any mention in the discussion so far on how the exam thing dovetails with musical goals other than achieving the grade levels. I would think most people who play music do so for music-specific reasons and things like exam-taking are means to an end. But honestly it is being described as though the grades are the goal in themselves...which surely isn't the whole story.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
nanette0269 #1818610 01/04/12 07:48 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nanette0269
After reading the other thread (and not wanting to hijack it), why would someone desire this certification if they are not 1) trying to enter a professional music school or 2) planning on teaching?

What does RCM have to do with either? The RCM has organized music learning into technique, repertoire by periods, theory, ear training, and then harmony theory, music history, and counterpoint. I like the fact that these things are set out. At the same time there are no method books locking teacher and student into one approach or a a relatively narrow set of pieces. A teacher can use whatever methodology he chooses and which suits his student.

The exams are optional. For some of us they can act as a motivation and goal. For others it is simply good to get feedback from a second set of ears, which are also along particular criteria.

Finally, our goal is to learn to play the instrument, and music on the instrument. If the things set out in that system lead there, then why not use it?

There is also no reason why an adult cannot enter a professional school, or teach. Adults are not different animals from the rest of the population. They are as varied as anyone else. But I've never heard of the RCM existing for the purpose of either.

Brent H #1818618 01/04/12 07:55 PM
L

L
Good question, Brent. No, I wouldn't be at all happy with just any challenge - especially anything that involves intense physical activity for sure!

The fact is, piano is something I have wanted to do since I was a very young child - and that certainly wasn't yesterday! My parents were unable to afford an instrument or lessons (although apparently color TVs, liquor and cigarettes were well within their budget - but I digress). Now that my children are grown and I have some time to myself, I am pursuing my life-long dream. So playing piano - preferably well, some day in the distant future - is the goal. Hopefully, working toward completing a few RCM levels will help with that.

Last edited by LisaE; 01/04/12 07:57 PM. Reason: clarity
nanette0269 #1818619 01/04/12 07:56 PM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I am doing it as I find it motivates me and keeps the lessons focused and varied. Plus I have been exposed to a wide variety of music and this has been exciting for me. Who knew I liked Baroque and Classical periods of music best? Another benefit I find is that the music is at the right level. If it's too easy, or too challenging then I find it not very motivating. These pieces are just at the right level of being challenging and just difficult enough.

Also I know I would probably become lax on things like practicing sight reading, scales, and ear training if not for the exams. It keeps me focused on these tasks which I know helps me in the long run. (I did organ lessons as a teen and I know these exercises really helping me and I don't doubt it helps me now).

The fact that you can schedule the RCM exam when you are ready (I believe they have January exam times, and June exam times; some test centres have April exam times too (I'm schedule for an April exam) is what convinced me to do them. If I couldn't do other fun songs while I am preparing for the exam then I'm not sure I would do it. I took a long break through Christmas from the scales, etc., and did Christmas songs and had alot of fun.

It's not so much the test itself but being registered and wanting to do well really keeps me practicing those things that need work!! When I first mentioned taking the test to my teacher she said what is your goal with this? I told her I believe it will identify my gaps, provide a road map and will keep me focused. As for the actual exam I will be happy if I feel I am well prepared for it and don't fall completly apart on exam day. In the sense that I find when I am nervous my concentration goes down to zero almost and I am working hard to overcome this. She said I had a good plan and was keen to start on all the various requirements with me.

P.S. Before I decided to do the exams I had borrowed her RCM syllabus which lists requirements for all the grades and I read pretty much the whole book! After reading it I was convinced that I wanted to try this first exam. I could see all the requirements and estimate how much work it would take. I also told her I didn't want to just focus entirely on exam prep for a whole year as I think that could become tedious and boring. At this time I am convinced I will continue doing the exams but we shall see.

nanette0269 #1818824 01/05/12 12:24 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maybe people want certification, because it's cool and make them proud. I have certification for diving and parachute jumping. I'm very proud of them, because it's my hobby. Qualified to do my hobby properly.

So after a few years when I'm old, I will look at those certifications, like a photograph from the past. Bringing all memories back. It just has some value to me like a medal or something.

Having said that, I could imagine there is also an addictive element to the grades of RCM. Like being a 65 level wizard in RPM game and wanting to get the 66 level very badly and so on. Which is very pointless in itself, but nevertheless getting the next level is a lot of fun.

Of course, you could also jump from an airplane without certification, but that has a different impact.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
Brent H #1818833 01/05/12 12:51 AM
Brent, you also have a point. If I went back into the system I'd still want to make sure that my teacher focused on the learning and not the marks or the exam. The first time round for the instrument I was studying, RCM was almost like an afterthought, like "Do you think you'd like to do the exam? Which of the pieces that we just did do you want to do?" and we went on to other things.

I think that if you've been out of school for a couple of decades it's sort of fun to play student again. If you still are a student or just out of school, then maybe you're tired of exams. When I sat my first theory exam it was like "Hey, I still know how to do this!" (Waiting to play after the 6 year old was less thrilling.)

nanette0269 #1818876 01/05/12 03:32 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am strongly considering doing the ABRSM grade 4 or 5 this year, and I have asked myself why. I have always been a goal oriented person, in my profession as well as in my hobbies. I was an entrepreneur (retired), I did the IronMan triathlon, and I have shown horses through Grand Prix. Part of it is clearly a personality thing I guess. I love the structure of the process of training for something and achieving my goal. I like to think I am continually improving myself. Taking the exam, for me, is a confidence builder. If done correctly I think the exam system assures that the student has a well rounded education and a strong base. I would never give up learning the pieces that I love just to learn what I need to know for the exam. The goal is to play piano well. I just see the exam process as one path to get where I want to go.

nanette0269 #1818884 01/05/12 05:01 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
IMO, there is one really good reason NOT to do RCM. You are limited to their choice of music. Of course you can learn pieces on the side of your RCM training if you find their selection to your displeasure, but because you have to learn X pieces, etudes, scales, history, and ear training, the likelihood of an adult beginner finding time for extra pieces is probably not great. Just something to consider.

Originally Posted by polyphasicpianist
IMO, there is one really good reason NOT to do RCM. You are limited to their choice of music. Of course you can learn pieces on the side of your RCM training if you find their selection to your displeasure, but because you have to learn X pieces, etudes, scales, history, and ear training, the likelihood of an adult beginner finding time for extra pieces is probably not great. Just something to consider.

That doesn't make sense to me. Was that your experience doing RCM? I didn't do RCM for piano, but for my instrument there was a lot of freedom. We did pieces that were in the RCM program and chose a couple of the ones that we did to be the ones for the exam. We did lots of other pieces in addition to that. Ear training and theory is something you want to do anyway. Etudes are for technique which are things that you use in pieces. Why would you not have time for more? How many pieces are played in a exam for piano? Maybe three?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission