2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (AJB, BMKE, Animisha, B3boy, 36251, brennbaer, 14 invisible), 736 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You need a grand when you start using the una corda pedal a lot, and the sostenuto pedal, and playing stuff with rapid repetitions that is difficult to achieve on an upright, e.g. Ravel's Alborada del gracioso and Scarbo, Scarlatti's Kk141 etc.

Incidentally, I can do all that on my digital piano (Roland V-Piano). There are digital pianos and there are digital pianos, just as there are good acoustics and bad (poorly-maintained) acoustics.....

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
R
R
Originally Posted by BDB
The una corda pedal is pretty much useless on any piano.

Unless it is ordered by a composer wink . For examle, Musorgsky "A Tear". The middle section is played with una corda. The difference in tone is very clear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkdtdH9u0Qs

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
While I agree that most digital pianos aren't enough. Sometimes you just have to make due with what you have. If you only have an upright, practice on it. I am thankful I have an upright at home when I visit so I can continue practicing. It is a fine instrument, and while not suitable for a concert hall. It is more then fine for practicing and learning notes.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'd say around Level 4 because that's usually the make-or-break point. Students who get past Level 4 have a tendency to keep learning piano. Ideally, though, everyone should start learning piano on a quality grand.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Level 4? Is that an American thing? The British grading system puts a Bach Prelude and Fugue or a Mozart sonata at Grade 8. I understand the Canadian system goes to grade 10?

Either way that level should be reachable by the average player on an old upright. I used a pre-war Normelle upright - not a bad piano in it's day but no competition for a Yamaha U1. It was trounced by a 1989 Yamaha Clavinova - which I still use.

I used to have regular access to a nine-foot Bluthner grand. I'd say it was too good to practise on. It gave you everything without having to work for it.

Richard
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's interesting that so many people are focusing on the pedals on a grand. I think you may be missing the superior harmonics and color you can get from a grand, especially a big one.

Best regards,

Deborah
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Level 4? Is that an American thing? The British grading system puts a Bach Prelude and Fugue or a Mozart sonata at Grade 8. I understand the Canadian system goes to grade 10?
Level 4 here is around Clementi Op. 36 No. 1 and Burgmuller Op. 100.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by gooddog
It's interesting that so many people are focusing on the pedals on a grand. I think you may be missing the superior harmonics and color you can get from a grand, especially a big one.

In my experience, good upright pianos have sound that's on par with grands, and different pianos sound very different. Some grand pianos that cost a lot can have rather limited range when it comes to color.

The pedals and action however are a fundamental thing that has much less variation. It is harder to adjust to a grand if you don't practice on a grand, it just feels different when you have heavier hammers that rely on gravity rather than springs, and it feels different when the touch doesn't change when you press una corda. It is different when you can feel the dampers lifting off the strings through the pedal.

Last edited by trigalg693; 03/07/12 06:04 PM.
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
A new, entry level upright such as a Kawai K2 or an older, well maintained one should be well able to take a player up to Grade 8 (Final, ABRSM).
Likewise a good digital such as a Yamaha CLP-440 or Roland HP-505 or better. The time to move to a grand is when you can a) feel the difference, and b) make use of the difference or, alternatively, in time to adjust before giving a performance on one.
Below Grade 6 (ABRSM Intermediate) I'd say it's completely unnecessary.

When I started playing a Blüthner grand (Für Elise) it was just another (bigger) piano. By the time I was playing the Moonlight Sonata (all three movements) I was revelling in every opportunity to get to the Blüthner.

Richard
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
... and playing stuff with rapid repetitions that is difficult to achieve on an upright, e.g. Ravel's Alborada del gracioso and Scarbo, Scarlatti's Kk141 etc.
Relevant for about .1% of those who play piano.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Your question asks at what level an upright isn't enough? I believe there's another aspect to this and it has to do with musicality. Seems to me the really avid and very musical pianist would HAVE to have a nice grand once they heard the difference. One way or another, they HAVE to have a grand--the bigger the better.

For the serious pianist who spends years and thousands of hours at their piano a very good grand is a must. Not a lot of money when spread over 10-15 years.

Bech

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My Interior Decorator said that I needed a Grand Piano to make my joint look posh ... a big room can look decidedly plebeian without the relief of a shapely hunk of furniture ...
all the best people are said to park their shiny Grand in the home Salon ... they don't have to be able to play it ... the Grand is
mostly locked up ... to stop visiting brats from indulging their sticky finger rendition of Baa-baa-black sheep.

The fact that I had to give up a new set of golf clubs and now wear a threadbare suit (with elbow patches) was well worth the sacrifice.

I always like to keep up with the Joneses.

And then I woke up and faced reality ... it didn’t take long for me to warm the cockles of my heart playing a Beethoven Sonata (Waldstein) on my Grotrian Steinweg upright.

To heck with the Joneses!!

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Bech
For the serious pianist who spends years and thousands of hours at their piano a very good grand is a must. Not a lot of money when spread over 10-15 years.
It's not just about the money, you know. Many people live in places where a grand simply won't fit. I did for many years. Then it's also about other things you need to do with that money - like feed your kids. A good grand is desirable. Not a must. (Just my opinion of course.)

Du holde Kunst...
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
... and playing stuff with rapid repetitions that is difficult to achieve on an upright, e.g. Ravel's Alborada del gracioso and Scarbo, Scarlatti's Kk141 etc.

It's not limited to those pieces, the repetitions don't need to be fast for you to notice. An example would be Beethoven op.57 Appassionata, uprights and digital pianos drive me CRAZY when I play the repeated notes.

That aside, I keep seeing people mentioning sound...tbh, my grand piano's sound is not better than some uprights. Good sound is a luxury that very few people can afford, but luckily the grand action itself is much much more important, at least IMO. You can learn to deal with sound and adapt to different pianos quickly, but if the mechanical behavior is completely foreign to your hands it will be difficult to bring out the full tonal range available on a grand.

Last edited by trigalg693; 03/08/12 07:50 PM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by trigalg693
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

It's not limited to those pieces, the repetitions don't need to be fast for you to notice. An example would be Beethoven op.57 Appassionata, uprights and digital pianos drive me CRAZY when I play the repeated notes.

That aside, I keep seeing people mentioning sound...tbh, my grand piano's sound is not better than some uprights. Good sound is a luxury that very few people can afford, but luckily the grand action itself is much much more important, at least IMO. You can learn to deal with sound and adapt to different pianos quickly, but if the mechanical behavior is completely foreign to your hands it will be difficult to bring out the full tonal range available on a grand.

Also the shimmering repeated chords in Ondine are very tiring on an upright. They are also harder to dynamically control when you have to lift off them so high. But I have to live with that. I'd love to have a grand, but I simply can't fit it in my house.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Some of my piano students have the money and the space for a grand piano, but their parents are too cheap to make the upgrade; they spent their money buying a Lexus. Playing on a grand for one hour a week (during their lesson) just isn't enough!

Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Some of my piano students have the money and the space for a grand piano, but their parents are too cheap to make the upgrade; they spent their money buying a Lexus. Playing on a grand for one hour a week (during their lesson) just isn't enough!

When I was much younger, my dad forced me to take piano lessons and believed that it was okay for me to learn on a cheap 55-key electronic keyboard! It doesn't take much guessing to find out how that went.

Kawai K-3 (2008)
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
So the Aussie bird currawong couldn’t buy a Grand because she had to feed her kids ... tough to be a dame.

I sold off one of my offspring (one of the girls, don’t you know) to buy my Grotrian Steinweg upright.

With two boys and three girls ... who would miss a frock?

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by btb
So the Aussie bird currawong couldn’t buy a Grand because she had to feed her kids ... tough to be a dame.

I sold off one of my offspring (one of the girls, don’t you know) to buy my Grotrian Steinweg upright.

With two boys and three girls ... who would miss a frock?

Nicely roasted, I bet she was delicious!

Semipro Tech
M
M
I was shopping for a piano last year. My budget kept being bumped up because as I tried the top tier brands, I just could not go back to the brands I had initially started with. When I tried the Seiler upright, I fell in love with its tone and its touch, but getting a Seiler grand was just too expensive for us. As my husband and I were discussing whether to commit ourselves to the Seiler, he mentioned that with the amount of money we were going to spend, I could actually buy a professional grade grand if I wanted to. Without hesitation I said no because I am convinced that my Seiler will suit me fine for the rest of my life.

My Seiler (52") will stay with me for the rest of my life. Granted, I'm just an intermediate pianist, but I am not planning on becoming a professional so in my case I think that a really good upright beats a mediocre grand anytime.

MC

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Bill Evans!
by Dfrankjazz - 08/16/22 10:52 PM
F. Weber action removal
by DH83 - 08/16/22 11:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,431
Posts3,216,947
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission